forum

Losing PP for plays is ridiculous.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lazorcat
I've been trying desperately to FC https://osu.ppy.sh/s/128931 on Another, several attempts coming incredibly close with 929/1023 as my record. Earlier today I gave it another shot, and I beat my old high score by a small fraction, and was amazed by the jump in my rank. Less combo and a tiny bit more score to get 14 pp. Excitedly, I jumped on the song again, dreaming of the pp I would get for actually full comboing the song. At the end of that same attempt, I saw out of the corner of my eye my new score overtake the two old ones. Hurriedly I scrolled down to see my new rank aaaaaaaaaaand... It was 5 lower than before.

It was a pretty crushing feeling to have that happen, and it's frustrating to know that I out-combo'd, out-scored, and out-accuracy'd my old score yet I lost a significant amount of pp for me.

Why does it take the highest score play over the highest pp play, and why is the letter grade so significant on it's own?

StephOsu
I find it more ridiculous when you cares for pp when you are doing that
Topic Starter
Lazorcat
I don't really play maps past FC. I like to find maps that are challenging to beat, play them until I can FC, then move on. It's just how I prefer to play the game.
StephOsu
yeah but when you are doing that why are you actually caring about pp
dreamen_old
Yeah the shittalk about "I don't care about pp, and you shouldn't care about pp either, just play for fun" is actually ridiculous!

Stop bullshittalk! One p in pp stands for PERFORMANCE.
That's the score, the value you get for your skill, the value you can SEE your improvement at.

Everyone should play the game so it makes FUN. And what FUN actually is, can everyone decide for themselves.

If farming and tryharding for pp is fun (like for Rafis) then OK. Stop saying it's ridiculous only because you have a different opinion on it retard.

However: The fact that you can lose pp is just logic since the pp gets calculated after you submit the highest score.

You are hoever rank > 100k, in one month you laugh about that score, so just keep on training and you will beat it soon easy.
StephOsu
just saying but saying that pp increment is improvement is actually more bullshit than any shitpost that happened here
it's extremely easy to find impressive plays that gives not as much pp compare to less impressive play that gives more pp
Bauxe

dreamen wrote:

Yeah the shittalk about "I don't care about pp, and you shouldn't care about pp either, just play for fun" is actually ridiculous!

That's the score, the value you get for your skill, the value you can SEE your improvement at.

Everyone should play the game so it makes FUN. And what FUN actually is, can everyone decide for themselves.

If farming and tryharding for pp is fun (like for Rafis) then OK. Stop saying it's ridiculous only because you have a different opinion on it retard.

However: The fact that you can lose pp is just logic since the pp gets calculated after you submit the highest score.

You are hoever rank > 100k, in one month you laugh about that score, so just keep on training and you will beat it soon easy.
The performance in PP refers to the score you set. Nothing to do with your actual skill.

Also Rafis doesn't really tryhard for PP, he spends more time doing shit way too hard to FC.
Fxjlk
Your 64pp score has a B rather than an A which is probably why its worth less pp. The difference is only 5pp so it isn't a huge deal.
[Haku]
People who say to other that it's ridiculous to care about pp... Please sh*t up --"
Who are you to decide what is fun and what is not?
chainpullz

dreamen wrote:

Except you shouldn't care about pp. Also just fyi, rafis doesn't play for pp. He'd have a hell of a lot more of it if he did. No one in the top 3 even plays for pp. Just gonna drop this here.

[Toy] wrote:

"define your success through feelings, not numbers"
I Give Up
The problem is there are currently in place two different ways of measuring performance through score and through pp, while a higher score may overwrite a higher pp play with a lower pp play, yet accounts are ranked by pp hence you can lose rank. The whole system is stupid, idiotic, pile of shit, etc. but its been that way for years now and no one has the stamina to care about this crap any more so just pls enjoy game and free music.
The Gambler
+10pp for noticing that flaw.

Too bad it's weighted less than 1% of your overall scores
Deva
Good players dont lose pp.

Git gud scrub
N0thingSpecial

HK_ wrote:

Good players dont post on GnR

Git gud scrub
fify
Deva
Well that too but its not like I can just simply stop coming here...
Fxjlk

N0thingSpecial wrote:

HK_ wrote:

Good players dont post on GnR

Git gud scrub
fify
Shitposting skill isnt related to osu skill
winber1
you'd be surprised :^)
chainpullz

winber1 wrote:

Winber's shitposting skills have carried him up to 3 digits, multiple ranked maps, a restriction, an appeal, and all the way to this post itself. :^)
The Gambler

chainpullz wrote:

winber1 wrote:

Winber's shitposting skills have carried him up to 3 digits, multiple ranked maps, a restriction, an appeal, and all the way to this post itself. :^)
I'm a witness to all that
repr1se

Lazorcat wrote:

I've been trying desperately to FC https://osu.ppy.sh/s/128931 on Another, several attempts coming incredibly close with 929/1023 as my record. Earlier today I gave it another shot, and I beat my old high score by a small fraction, and was amazed by the jump in my rank. Less combo and a tiny bit more score to get 14 pp. Excitedly, I jumped on the song again, dreaming of the pp I would get for actually full comboing the song. At the end of that same attempt, I saw out of the corner of my eye my new score overtake the two old ones. Hurriedly I scrolled down to see my new rank aaaaaaaaaaand... It was 5 lower than before.

It was a pretty crushing feeling to have that happen, and it's frustrating to know that I out-combo'd, out-scored, and out-accuracy'd my old score yet I lost a significant amount of pp for me.

Why does it take the highest score play over the highest pp play, and why is the letter grade so significant on it's own?
Only makes sense that your top score is the one that's calculated for PP. Your top score is the one used to calculate PP, and accuracy determines how much PP you actually get. It's not really that strange to lose PP for a lower accuracy score, IMHO.

You should work on the accuracy too. You'd be getting almost 1.5x the PP if you had 98 or 99%.

chainpullz wrote:

Except you shouldn't care about pp. Also just fyi, rafis doesn't play for pp. He'd have a hell of a lot more of it if he did. No one in the top 3 even plays for pp. Just gonna drop this here.
I don't doubt this, but is there a source?
Rosten
This is a flaw in the scoring system that's been pointed out literally countless times.

There's nothing any of us can do about it, you just kind of have to deal with it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bara-
Your best score (point-wise) is the one which gets submitted into the rankings. That makes sense right?
The score which is submitted, is the one which gives you pp. That makes sense right?
Then why do you find losing pp due to having a higher score ridiculous? osu! is a rhythm game. Accuracy is really important here, so why do you have so much problems with it?