forum

Spring 2016 Closing Thoughts and Reviews

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
Based on blissy's thread: t/342901

With some of the Spring 2016 season shows reaching its end or already finished, I think it's time for people to tell us what they watched, what they liked, what they disliked, what they dropped, etc.

This thread is more about small reviews, comments, whatever you'd want to say about this anime season. Try to avoid spoilers, but if you do, remember to use the [spoiler] tag. Also, let's try to keep this cool, you're free to say "X anime is bad because Y", but please don't insult other people's opinion.

Use colours as in the First Impressions thread if you find it appropriate.
xxdeathx
dead thread

My Hero Academia - Was quite fun to watch the hero battles each week, although the beginning was kind of cringy

Asterisk 2nd Season - not much different from season 1, battles were alright to watch, many loose ends of the plot left over

High School Fleet - Started out super mysterious at first but the rest of the show was not particularly suspenseful, and I feel like it ended rather quickly immediately after saving the Musashi. Lots of lolis though.

Kuma Miko - Most of this show was incredibly cute, relaxing, and hilarious at times, but I'd like to know what kind of drugs they were on when they wrote that ending

Netoge - Good and fun series, many funny moments when they're playing their game or going out on a club trip. Solid show.

Re:Zero - If you haven't been living under a rock you've probably heard how amazing this show is. Every arc is incredible and Emilia is an angel <3
blissfulyoshi
Thanks for making the thread Dake. I've been way too busy with AX to think about running threads right now. (Behind on some stuff, so will write some other things later)

Half seasons:

Re:Zero: What started out with a decent courageous mc willing to do anything, quickly develops into some really inconsistent mc who randomly switches between being cocky and being a coward. Add on the really lackluster action scenes that White Fox made for this, and you question what is watchable. White Fox is at least pretty consistent with the original work, but I really wish they just stuck what at what they're good at, Slice of Life.

Macross Δ: Add together the Macross Formula with some AKB0048 and Symphogear influences, and well you get this, Satelight's attempt to make a Macross show with a more modern appeal. While it doesn't exactly have fighting idols, it has breakdancing robots, excellent syncing of songs and actions, and a girl jumping off a ship with no flotation device in site just to sing. If you're a fan of Symphogear, you'll probably enjoy this, but if you're looking for something closer to the older Macross shows, this might not be your cup of tea.

Full Seasons:

Sansha Sanyou: Probably the best moe slice of life (CGDCT) show this season (admittedly very little competiton). While the beginning jokes weren't that good, it quickly got better, but admittedly nothing amazing. If you're interested in the genre, I recommend giving it 2-3 episodes to see if its sense of humor works for you. (Doga Kobo has really been on a roll with 4-koma adapations)
Faust
Space Patrol Luluco:

Started out okay, raised my eye-brows some, ended on a high note. Above-average for a short mini-series.

Haifuri:

Gratuitous amounts of naval combat & jargon, some slice-of-life-on-a-boat culture, odd plot-device that became underwhelming very quickly.
Good production values all in all. Worth the watch.
Ephemeral
kumamiko started off hilarious and then got catastrophically shit
Shurelia
good thread to help me making choices about what to watch from this season. lol

Thanks
Navizel
I want Kiznaiver to be wiped from the face of the earth. What the hell is this garbage
Kibbleru
HAIFURI THOUGH, its honestly kinda underrated imo. people might brush it off the instant they see 'oh another anime with just yuri and stuff' but it's honestly better than you'd actually think it is.

Mayoiga was okay. honestly they could've done with less characters. But i think the overall plot was pretty nice, even though it started slow.

Asterisk.. is.. Asterisk.. nuff said.
Mogsy
I've got a lot to catch up on/finish since spring season always seems to be around the time I have finals going on, am moving, starting new jobs, etc. So hey!

Kiznaiver - Let's not let Mari Okada write genre fare anymore. The cast was overly judgmental towards each other, and it danced around a very basic idea for its high-concept sci-fi about teenagers (we get it, it's eventually about empathy; but don't juxtapose that with people consistently saying things that -end- friendships IRL! People don't work this way!). It's very, very pretty at least.

Big Order - lmao. Garbage. But it's amazing at being garbage. Watch this instead of Mirai Nikki if you want distilled funny-bad trash.

Mayoiga - See above regarding both Kiznaiver and Big Order. Except Mayoiga isn't pretty. Seriously, this is some of the most incompetent writing I've seen in ages.

Endride - I'm not done with this yet, but it's so far been pretty standard genre fare. I really like the colouring scheme in it at least, and it's easy to watch while doing something else. Mildly inoffensive, right on the border of red.

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless - Nowhere near caught up on this, either, but it's so far been really cute and easy to watch. It's charming as heck, funny when it needs to be, and fine for a boring afternoon. There's better silly iyashikei this season, though.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Your Mileage May Vary. It's really dumb action blockbuster fare with fantastic production design. If you enjoy dumb action fare, it's that.

Flying Witch - Charming, funny when it needs to be, fantastic blend of the mundane and fantastical. Really good joke timing, and people feel more down-to-earth and relatable. It's good iyashikei.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - Really fun and some of the best presentation in the entire animated portion of the franchise.

Space Patrol Luluco - Imaishi making dumb, zany, over-the-top cartoons resonate in an emotional context by making a story about first love? Sure! Why not! Really genuine and entertaining, loved the heck out of Luluco.

Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song - Messy as heck, but works at tying itself up very well while having some of the best higher-concept episodic content out there. Helps that the writers were all fantastic and cohesively meshed together with Sho Aikawa's political ramblings. It's my kind of show: some fantastic animation, commentative on a political level, and memorable for its cast of characters and their complex relationships with one another.
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
Mayoiga: I have no words for this, there's a lot of inconsistencies I don't want to think about, let alone the tryhard mystery. If you're expecting blood pools or exaggerated death scenes, you better avoid this. Don't expect anything and I think you'll be fine watching this show fail.

Kuma Miko: I don't remember when this show went from 'teasing the little girl' to 'being selfish dicks with the little girl'. I honestly felt bad for her, Hiiko was the only character who earned my respect.

Bungo Stray Dogs: If you like pretty drawing and pretty animation for you, beware of inconsistent characters tho. The comedy touches aren't that great but kind of softens the impact of the seriousness of the plot, still I think you can have a fun time while watching this.

Mid season:

Re:Zero: 12 episodes and we have apparently had a minor advance plot-wise and the reason about why the MC when to that fantasy land is still to be known. I just hope everything (or at least most of it) is being explained soon. The second arc was so painful to watch for some reason, not because the sadness, but the boredom, it got a bit repetitive.

Kyoukai no Rinne: The typical slice of life with paranormal things included in. As average as you can think, yet it's more endurable to watch than most of current shows.

Still catching up with some other series.
Rumberkren
Kiznaiver is really sad :/
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd is not as exciting as the 1st season
Re:Zero is good
Tanaka-kun is funny
blissfulyoshi
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge - Despite being a very low budget show, I found this an incredible adaption of the original 4-koma, providing something the original source could not provide, very controlled pacing and timing of jokes. This allowed you to see how slow Tanaka responded to just about everything in comparison to much more active characters. However, because of the use of slow pacing, this show does alienate most people who want something more fast paced. If you're in the mood for something a bit slower, I recommend do giving it a shot to see if the type of humor is right for you.

Wagamama High Spec - I had a hard time figuring out where to place this. On one hand this is a 3.5min short including 1min of opening and incredibly low production budget. On top of that, it does not really have any of the harem elements you expect from a series related to an h-game. Instead you have short comedies revolving around the life of the student council. However, personally, I found some of these amusing, but the shortcomings in animation budget are quite noticeable. However, given that it is a short, it doesn't take long to go through 1ep, or every ep, so I'll gave it the benefit of the doubt and say it might be worth a shot.

Anne Happy - Another CGDCT show, except I found this show feeling repetitive or not very funny at parts. However, there were episodes I found to be quite decent, esp the episode involving the Timothy rap. In short, it is another test and see, but even if you enjoy the genre, I feel that there are jokes that are overused and events that don't the right type of tension to laugh.
piruchan
I'm not going to write much because this season has been terrible for me (I followed the wrong shows). Kuma Miko is ok until episode 10. Mayoiga is terribad. Kiznaiver doesn't interest me enough but it is pretty. Bungou Stray Dogs doesn't leave much of an impression. Netoge is not a harem and quite fun to watch, but I wish it was more about the romance and less about online game. If I had to pick, my AOTS would probably be Flying Witch because watching a person tailing a cat has never been so good.
Kyonko Hizara
Boku no Hero Academia: I'm really hoping this gets a 2nd season because the best shit starts right where this ends. Originally I was avoiding this show because it seemed like a generic shounen, but I am glad I didn't pass this one up. Even tho the protagonist is a pretty generic and average, he's decently likable.

Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - THE LAST SONG: Dropped because near the 6th episode I think is where it lost me.

Flying Witch: It was nice and fun to watch, but nothing to write home about.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2: Some of the battles were fun to watch and were kinda interesting. There needs to be a 3rd season because too many loose ends.

Ace Attorney: It exceeded my low expectations, so it was okay. Don't watch the last episode tho because it's just filler.

HIGH SCHOOL FLEET (HaiFuri): I guess these little girls just weren't good enough for me because dropped.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: Best Jojo season. I am hype for the rest of it.

Kiznaiver: Trigger at it again. I love all of the characters and the story was interesting. It didn't feel like other series with the same premise.

Kuma Miko: Adorable as fuck and I am literally Machi so I relate :U

KUROMUKURO: Dropped

Macross Δ: BREAK DANCING ROBOTS. It felt like it had a spoonful of Symphogear in it. I was expecting something like the older Macross series, but this adds a new flavour to the series.

Netoge: Ako is waifu, Ako is laifu. That's all anyone needs to know.

Re:Zero: I liked it when I started watching it but then it got kinda messy .3.

Uchuu Patrol Luluco: I need more. I came every episode.
Yohanes
Sorted for my least favorite first

Sakamoto desu ga? Dropped on episode 3 It just doesn't for for me

Hundred Dropped on episode 5, I don't even know why I'm giving this show a chance lol

Seisen Cerberus Dropped on episode 5, yeah

Bakuon Dropped on episode 6, watching this makes me cringe so hard for some reason

Kuma Miko Completed Pretty hillarious on first episode, but fell down a cliff in the next 11. I can't help but feel bad for Machi, and oh my god that ending! Seriously, I don't know what this show is even want to accomplish.

Asterisk 2nd Compeleted yeah, it's asterisk. If you think that it's good, you already know that. but If you think its bad, you already know that too. Typical cliche harem school fighting tournament anime

Netoge Completed Pretty mediocre show, nothing to brag about

Anne Happy Completed Cute show, interesting setting, but nothing special

Sansha Sanyou Completed another cute show, its pretty good actually. But it doesn't have "main goal" that keeps this anime direction on track, the story is prettu much all over the place

Flying Witch Compeleted Its a nice show, fun, relaxing, and the characters is really likeable (for me). I'm gonna miss this show

Tanaka-kun Compeleted probably my favorite this season (it surprised me, considering how much I dislike the first episode). I can't put my finger on why, but this is how you do slice of life anime, people! AOTS

Re:Zero Episode 13 Urgh, just watch it! Or wait 3 months, and then watch it. I would really recommend it

tl;dr this season is disappointing
Mogsy
Man, you all convinced me to watch more of Tanaka-kun, and while I'm still not fully caught up, I'm digging what I'm seeing even more now. It's so genuine and funny, and it takes its time.

Re:Zero - I'm probably gonna continue this beyond the little bit I've watched so far, but it definitely gets better after its first episode. It's still super wish-fulfillment otakubait, but it tells its story with more heart and doesn't attempt to paint its protagonist as perfect (although annoying as hell, Subaru has a defined personality and way of acting). It straddles the line between intriguing and off-putting, interesting and annoying. I'll continue watching and even watch the second cour when it comes out to be in on the popular conversation, but it's ultimately the most tolerable variation of not-my-kind-of-show (it's better than shit like GATE at least).

Still catching up on My Hero Academia, Bungou Stray Dogs and potentially High School Fleet. We'll see how I feel about those later.
Justykanna
Hundred: Lots of ups and downs on this though... except the downs were pretty significant. I ended up finishing it and while the ending wasn't awful, the show was far from the potential I thought it'd have. The suits were pretty cool, even if they didn't got terribly in depth with them.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: I kind of feel like the story was a bit of a wreck with okay action scenes. Music was awesome, which I liked from the first episode. I'm still glad I watched this one though. I just can't say it's great, even though it started out with such promise.

Kuromukuro: I really ended up enjoying this one and I look forward to seeing the second half next season. Yukina did pretty much everything that made me dislike her as an annoying character, but recent episodes make me believe that that could change here in the next little bit here. This anime also winds up making me smile at some of the funny bits they insert in the series here and there, so that's a plus too.
blissfulyoshi
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season: It's Asterisk, your opinion of first season will carry to the second one. However, with that said, I think the fights were slightly better in s2 than in s1, and despite ending with my least favorite arc in the series so far, they had a pretty nice fight to end the series. Whether or not I was a s3 is something that I'll have to think about though....

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri:: Well, ignoring the storyline that didn't really have a goal until the very end and ignoring the lack of logic that almost can remind of Wixoss, you have a show with slightly nice looking action scenes connected by fluff. Sadly, even the action scenes aren't that great or memorable. I originally was going to give this a neutral rating after what Mogs said about treating this like a typical summer blockbuster, but with their failure to deliver some solid action to end, I'll probably stick with my original negative rating.

And for those that care, I only skimmed both of these shows for action scenes because I already knew Asterisk's storyline and Kabaneri's storyline is as stated above.
xxdeathx
That's it for shows I finished watching.

KABANERI OF THE IRON FORTRESS - Was really looking forward to watch each week but it went to shit after Biba appeared and the happy ending episode left way too many things unexplained.

Shows I dropped earlier on:

Flying Bitch - dropped ep 1, boring af, nothing of interest

Tanaka-kun - dropped halfway through first episode, way too slow for my comfort

Kiznaiver - dropped ep 1, might cut itself with all the edge and spread the pain to everyone

Anne Happy - dropped ep 1, didn't really like any of the characters and wasn't funny

Ace Attorney - dropped ep 6, really low quality and not my type of genre

Hundred - dropped ep 4, only watched that far because i was caught up on everything else and bored. generic and bad.

High Spec - dropped ep 1, is it too much to ask for a real eroge anime? last season aokana wasn't even eroge-like and this season high spec has to be a short.

Sakamoto - dropped ep 3, was uninteresting and not funny
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
Boku no Hero Academia: Likable characters, nice animation, good at catching your attention, character development was a bit slow, but somehow present, villains putting heroes in a pinch, heroes defeating villains, sounds like your typical shounen, but it has this thing that makes it different, dunno what it is. Season 2 hype.

TerraFormars Revenge: I finished this a week ago and totally forgot about it. I have to say I enjoyed this one. It was so good at being terrible, but not Mayoiga/Kuma Miko level. The studio change was not for good, random jokes and moe scenes out of nowhere made this lose the few seriousness it had left, the pacing felt really slow, HUGE plot holes and I probably couldn't list every issue I had with it. I'm eagerly waiting for a 3rd season.

Not from this season, but finished this season:

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: To think this began as a comedy. The animation stayed the same quality, and was not crappy at all. Individual character development couldn't be noticed for some characters, but as a group, the development was really good. Lots of fun moments, innumerable lessons, and feels, oh yeah, the feels. There are a few minor plot holes being present though, but doesn't affect at all the general storytelling.

Edit:

Sakamoto desu ga?: Warning, this anime isn't for everyone, watch it at your own risk. This anime can make you die of laughter, give you warm and nice feelings, as well as make you cringe really hard at the point you'd want to drop it in a single episode. I'd describe it as an unique rollercoaster.

Left: 12-sai, Ace Attorney, Netoge, Koutetsujou.
blissy: should I make the Summer 2016 First Impressions thread?
Navizel
Finally caught up.
Flying Witch - Maximum comfy. Would recommend.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is not Crash :^) - Made me enjoy part four. Where's the Duwang subs though.
Netoge - Filler after filler combined with a generic ending. They didn't even solve Ako's problems. Load of bs.
Kabaneri - KISAMA! ARE YOU A HITO OR A KABANE?! Cringy opening aside, when will the good stuff come in? I'm in episode 8 already. Edit: Nevermind. I can't stomach it anymore.
Kiznaiver should still burn in hell.

Dropped after a few episodes
Boku no Hero Academia is budget One Punch Man. Not a big fan of One Punch Man by the way.
Joker Game - It's "unique" but it has really nothing to offer besides that. The story didn't seem to go anywhere either.
Sakamoto desu ga - It's too silly for me.
Kuma Miko - Too boring. Like what I said in the first impressions thread, the sex jokes are the only reason this got me going. It's bland
blissfulyoshi

DakeDekaane wrote:

blissy: should I make the Summer 2016 First Impressions thread?
If you don't mind, I will make the thread since you can easily edit my post as you see fit, but I can't. I plan to make a GDoc for summer, but don't have time for it right now. I'll just release the thread without one for now, so at least people can post. If you disagree with this line of thought, feel free to delete the thread I make.
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta : Cute girls (and a couple) doing cute things online and irl, bits of fanservice here and there that could make you take a step back. Probably me watching this with low expectations made this surpise me a bit. Sometimes the smiles were kind of creepy.

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri: It started great, then it derailed. The premise was really cool , the world was amazing (I'm in love steampunk based worlds), but then "it" happened. This series looked promising for a good survival action anime, sadly it raised the "firetruck humanity, I have my egoist objectives" villain flag high on the sky in the first episodes but hey, it has zombies shooting beams! (why). Soundtrack was great and action was pretty decent, but that's it.

Ace Attorney: If you're a fan of the games and don't mind animation quality, what are you waiting for?

12-sai:: Unless I have a wrong view about Japanese culture, the attitude of some characters may be unfit to their age (too mature), stuff that makes this your typical shoujo.

And I think that's all from me for this season, gonna check Tanaka-kun later though.