forum

Should I learn HR only ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KyoshiDeath
Hi,

I'm a player with extremely bad streaming abilities, but I can aim very well and play HDHR a little bit (see my profile).
Sadly, I can't play HR without hidden really well (at all ?). I was wondering if I should learn HR only because when I look at some players with strong aim (Axarious, Cookiezi, Rafis, Hvick, La Valse, etc), they usually use HR only when they are playing some really hard maps.

I prefer to play maps that I pretty much can't FC than some shitty easy ranked maps (don't look at my profile pls :x) so if HR has an advantage on jump heavy maps or stuff like that I might learn it.
[Haku]

KyoshiDeath wrote:

Hi,

I'm a player with extremely bad streaming abilities, but I can aim very well and play HDHR a little bit (see my profile).
Sadly, I can't play HR without hidden really well (at all ?). I was wondering if I should learn HR only because when I look at some players with strong aim (Axarious, Cookiezi, Rafis, Hvick, La Valse, etc), they usually use HR only when they are playing some really hard maps.

I prefer to play maps that I pretty much can't FC than some shitty easy ranked maps (don't look at my profile pls :x) so if HR has an advantage on jump heavy maps or stuff like that I might learn it.
It's only a matter of preference, there is no obligations. And if you're fine with HDHR (and it seems to be the case), I don't think you should learn HR by itself, you can just use HDHR then.
Topic Starter
KyoshiDeath
For now I'm comfortable with HDHR, but if it comes to some 6.5* + HDHR jump maps I struggle a lot, so what I wanted to know if it can help to play HR only, but anyways I'm probably gonna learn it, it's always better to be able to do everything and to read ar10.
Deva
Dont play HD until you are really good without it. HD doesnt give much feedback on what you did wrong/right and trying to learn it early on when you need that feedback the most is just stupid.
Topic Starter
KyoshiDeath
Too late, I'm better with HD than without when it comes to hardrock. *just did my first 300 pp score on a no title map + hdhr*
I tried to play HR only this morning and I learn really fast. I think than in the future I'm gonna play HDHR on maps that are not hard to aim for me and HR only when it is harder.

Even tho I still don't master HR without hidden, I discovered that I'm doing better with HR only on wide-screen-jumps heavy maps.
Deva

KyoshiDeath wrote:

I discovered that I'm doing better with HR only on wide-screen-jumps heavy maps.
That just means that your reading is bad.

Also dont evaluate your HR/HDHR skills on jump only maps because on them theres next to no difference between HR and HDHR, maps that have streams and more complicated patterns are a whole new story tho, go and try those.
[Haku]

HK_ wrote:

Dont play HD until you are really good without it. HD doesnt give much feedback on what you did wrong/right and trying to learn it early on when you need that feedback the most is just stupid.
Many people can't play HD because they look at the note more than they listen the music. So it's good to get used to listen the music, even early (but the more you go up in AR, the less it will work, it's almost useless in AR10).
Deva
HD is perfectly playable even without music (I confirmed that personally), its not my problem that everyone nowdays plays whack a mole instead of a rhythm game.
[Haku]

HK_ wrote:

HD is perfectly playable even without music (I confirmed that personally), its not my problem that everyone nowdays plays whack a mole instead of a rhythm game.
indeed, by learning the time between the disparition of the note and the moment when you have to clic... but it's really a shitty way to learn HD xD (even if you learn that anyway even without trying after a while).
Deva
To you it may be shitty way to learn it but to me its THE way since the experience between learning acc no mod and HD are shared that way. You learn new way to play this game while I just adjust my play style very slightly. I wouldnt call that shitty.
[Haku]

HK_ wrote:

To you it may be shitty way to learn it but to me its THE way since the experience between learning acc no mod and HD are shared that way. You learn new way to play this game while I just adjust my play style very slightly. I wouldnt call that shitty.
Yeah, that's my opinion, you're right
Sayorie
Ever since I started playing standard, I only relied on approach circles, up until now. (thus the reason for my bad acc)
Basically I grew up playing the wrong way.

This is going to be a haaaaaaard path for me to get good at HD ;_; :(
Yolshka
I don't see a problem with focusing on approach circles,pretty sure a bunch of people do that, myself included. I don't think it affects accuracy, but who knows, it could. I don't fully understand what people mean by listening to the music anyway.

That being said, I'm pretty bad at HD.
Topic Starter
KyoshiDeath
HK_ you say that my reading is bad, but looking at your rank I wonder how you're doing on widescreen jumps with HR.. Not saying you're bad or anything, but I don't think that I do better without hidden just because "my reading is bad" : it's just easier because your eyes can go to the next note, but you still see the note in the corner of your eye. With hidden, it's harder to memorize exactly where the note was (cs5.2) while being concentrated on the next note.
[Haku]

ShadyAngel wrote:

I don't see a problem with focusing on approach circles,pretty sure a bunch of people do that, myself included. I don't think it affects accuracy, but who knows, it could. I don't fully understand what people mean by listening to the music anyway.

The theorie is because when it goes to timing, your hear are way more accurate than your eyes.

KyoshiDeath wrote:

HK_ you say that my reading is bad, but looking at your rank I wonder how you're doing on widescreen jumps with HR.. Not saying you're bad or anything, but I don't think that I do better without hidden just because "my reading is bad" : it's just easier because your eyes can go to the next note, but you still see the note in the corner of your eye. With hidden, it's harder to memorize exactly where the note was (cs5.2) while being concentrated on the next note.
In my opinion, being able to go to the next note without looking or thinking to the previous one is a part of reading. But I guess some people won't agree with this definition.
Deva

KyoshiDeath wrote:

HK_ you say that my reading is bad, but looking at your rank I wonder how you're doing on widescreen jumps with HR..

If you cant deal with criticism then dont ask for help in the first place.
Yuudachi-kun
Widescreen jumps with hr>> reading

Mate fucking play some 2008 maps first with ar below 8.
Topic Starter
KyoshiDeath

HK_ wrote:

KyoshiDeath wrote:

HK_ you say that my reading is bad, but looking at your rank I wonder how you're doing on widescreen jumps with HR..

If you cant deal with criticism then dont ask for help in the first place.
I didn't mean to be rude.. I totally accept criticism, but I didn't know if you were able to use HR in big jumps..
Ps : When I mean wide screen jumps I mean more than 10 notes in the whole song.. I want to know if HR only helps to be more consistent in those wide screen jumps. Everyone can pass 10 notes with HR even if they are large jumps.. https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5463177
chainpullz
Why are we talking about reading if we are linking maps that require no reading again?
Rosten

ShadyAngel wrote:

Because Osu is a rhythm game. Playing rhythm games without listening to the music seems like youre kind of defeating the purpose of a rhythm game entirely.
Yuudachi-kun

Rosten wrote:

ShadyAngel wrote:

Because Osu is a rhythm game. Playing rhythm games without listening to the music seems like youre kind of defeating the purpose of a rhythm game entirely.
You're holding yourself back by thinking "hurr it's a rhythm game" in something like osu standard instead of mania. You can play osu however you want - I find osu way more fun as a physical challenge in high bpm and hard aim maps. Having to force myself to acc because "hurr rhythm" makes the game unfun.
Deva

KyoshiDeath wrote:

I want to know if HR only helps to be more consistent
HR helps you be more consistent because your reading is bad and higher AR makes it easier to play whack a mole. Once you get over AR10 you will just start playing higher AR to compensate for your improvement in speed, that is only if you dont work on your reading.

HR is supposed to make things harder not easier, think about it.
show more