forum

Will Mechanical Keyboard wear out ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cenia
As the title said, I already bought Ducky One with Red switch and have been enjoying it for around 2 months.
I'm worried about my Z and X keys in my keyboard. Will they ever wear out after playing osu! constantly ?
If the answer is yes, after how many months it will wear out ?
I play osu! standard 1-3 times a week with 1-3 hours activity.

Also another questions:
- Does playing osu! with 1600 dpi setting seems weird ? other people seems like to play with low dpi. My laptop resolution is 1366x768
- For someone who can't do HD, where do I have to start ? I wanted to learn playing HD DT in the future.

Thanks a lot for helping me. Any kinds of reply will be appreciated.
[Haku]

Cenia wrote:

As the title said, I already bought Ducky One with Red switch and have been enjoying it for around 2 months.
I'm worried about my Z and X keys in my keyboard. Will they ever wear out after playing osu! constantly ?
If the answer is yes, after how many months it will wear out ?
I play osu! standard 1-3 times a week with 1-3 hours activity.

Also another questions:
- Does playing osu! with 1600 dpi setting seems weird ? other people seems like to play with low dpi. My laptop resolution is 1366x768
- For someone who can't do HD, where do I have to start ? I wanted to learn playing HD DT in the future.

Thanks a lot for helping me. Any kinds of reply will be appreciated.
About switch : I can't be sure of what I'm going to say 'cause I don't use mechanical keyboard yet. But 1-3 times a week is really not that much and i doubt that it can do anything to your keyboard, don't worry.

About DPI : The reasons why people tend to use low dpi/large area (for tablet) is because it prevent you from miss aim more. But the more inportant is to be comfortable with your dpi, whatever it can be ;)

About HD : You should just play HD full time to get used to it. And remember the most inportant, you should pay attention to the music to know when you have to click, really it will help you A LOT.
KupcaH

Cenia wrote:

Also another questions:
- For someone who can't do HD, where do I have to start ? I wanted to learn playing HD DT in the future. .
Idk about keyboard, since I don't own mechanical one.
-Doomsday playing with 1500 DPI. So, it's just a preference. You can become good with high dpi.
-I started to learn it when I was playing 4.5* maps. Although, I don't like this mod. :>
Sayorie
Ducky keyboards are reliable. It would probably take years for your keys to wear out. If anything goes wrong, send it for warranty.

For HD, get a good skin with transparent/semi-transparent hitcircles and get used to playing without approach circles.
I Give Up

Cenia wrote:

Will Mechanical Keyboard wear out ?
Yes, but I've been using the same two buttons for a year as a stream type player without any button problem so yours should be fine unless you spill coffee over it or something.

Does playing osu! with 1600 dpi setting seems weird ?
It is not weird at all this is acceptable high dpi.

For someone who can't do HD, where do I have to start ?
By turning HD on. Practise on songs that have your best AR rating and get used to disappearing circles. good luck
Deva
Yes it will, not matter what you buy it will wear out. But I doubt that you will have 50M hits any time soon so dont worry about it unless you start playing really hardcore.

That dpi is not weird but imo its really high since i used to play with 800dpi.

Just play HD and dont jump straight into HDHR or HDDT and you will be perfectly fine.
FrzR
I've been using my ducky keyboard for more than a year now and the z and x keys feels like just the rest of the switches. It's not going to wear out as fast as you think. If they do wear out in the future you can just buy a few switches and replace them. It's easy to do with basic knowledge of soldering. I modded my keyboard with a pair of mx blues

I think the DPI is okay, as long as your muscle memory can adjust. Yeah you can go faster but sometimes when you feel nervous you'll most likely end up getting several "overshooting" with your aim imo.
Full Tablet

HK_ wrote:

Yes it will, not matter what you buy it will wear out. But I doubt that you will have 50M hits any time soon so don't worry about it unless you start playing really hardcore.
From my experience, it takes considerably less than 50M hits to break a MX Cherry Red switch playing games like this:

osu!standard:
- ~4M hits (since I switched from Cherry Blue to Red) to break the X (main singletap finger) switch (it started to miss inputs or key chattering). Replaced it with a Gateron Red switch.
- ~7M hits to break the X keycap https://i.imgur.com/eA2tBWZ.jpg (CM Storm Quickfire TK keyboard keycap).

osu!mania:
In about ~12M hits (considering unranked maps), 5 MX Cherry Red Switches broken (4 started chattering and missing input occasionally, 1 broke entirely not accepting any input), and 1 Gateron Red switch broken (key chattering, after it was used to replace one of the broken Cherry Red switches). Also broke a keycap. All broken switches and keycaps were either in keys played with index or middle fingers.
Endaris
Using browns and both my keys still very much alive after 1 year and around 2,5M hits per key.

Play some AR7 old maps with HD that's really good to start with.
Topic Starter
Cenia

[Haku] wrote:

About HD : You should just play HD full time to get used to it. And remember the most inportant, you should pay attention to the music to know when you have to click, really it will help you A LOT.
Yeah, I've been reading the approaching circles all the time. So I'm not used to paying attention to music at all. Or on the other hand, I have less experience with HD so I tend forget where the circle was when it disappeared

KupcaH wrote:

Idk about keyboard, since I don't own mechanical one.
-Doomsday playing with 1500 DPI. So, it's just a preference. You can become good with high dpi.
-I started to learn it when I was playing 4.5* maps. Although, I don't like this mod. :>
Alright, got it. Just wondering if I'm the only one who plays with high DPI :x

Arthraxium wrote:

Ducky keyboards are reliable. It would probably take years for your keys to wear out. If anything goes wrong, send it for warranty.

For HD, get a good skin with transparent/semi-transparent hitcircles and get used to playing without approach circles.
Yeah, the manager of the shop said that the warranty is 1 year. I still have a long time to replace it before the warranty ends.
As for skins, I'm using Shigetora's right now. Seems perfect and already attached to it.

KukiMonster wrote:

Yes, but I've been using the same two buttons for a year as a stream type player without any button problem so yours should be fine unless you spill coffee over it or something.
Do you ever feel that the switches different somehow from the first time you bought it ? I never put any drinks in my table so that can't be happening.
I play alternate so if the keyboard breaks, two keys all at once :o

KukiMonster wrote:

By turning HD on. Practise on songs that have your best AR rating and get used to disappearing circles. good luck
Does practice with songs which you already familliar with helps ? Or it must be a new song that I haven't played before ? I'm familiar with AR 8.5-9

HK_ wrote:

Yes it will, not matter what you buy it will wear out. But I doubt that you will have 50M hits any time soon so dont worry about it unless you start playing really hardcore.

That dpi is not weird but imo its really high since i used to play with 800dpi.

Just play HD and dont jump straight into HDHR or HDDT and you will be perfectly fine.
Maybe not hardcore, but I tend to play beatmaps which have many tappings. such as this
I guess I can handle easy map with DT fine. I just want to improve my HD skills as I literally don't have one.

Full Tablet wrote:

From my experience, it takes considerably less than 50M hits to break a MX Cherry Red switch playing games like this:

osu!standard:
- ~4M hits (since I switched from Cherry Blue to Red) to break the X (main singletap finger) switch (it started to miss inputs or key chattering). Replaced it with a Gateron Red switch.
- ~7M hits to break the X keycap https://i.imgur.com/eA2tBWZ.jpg (CM Storm Quickfire TK keyboard keycap).

osu!mania:
In about ~12M hits (considering unranked maps), 5 MX Cherry Red Switches broken (4 started chattering and missing input occasionally, 1 broke entirely not accepting any input), and 1 Gateron Red switch broken (key chattering, after it was used to replace one of the broken Cherry Red switches). Also broke a keycap. All broken switches and keycaps were either in keys played with index or middle fingers.
Bad news for me then :x , does replacing switches cost a lot ? Which switch do you prefer (Gateron vs Cherry Red) for playing ? And do you replace the switches by yourself ? As I don't have any experience tinkering with these things.

Endaris wrote:

Using browns and both my keys still very much alive after 1 year and around 2,5M hits per key.

Alright, how "old" is old map anyway ? Does your keyboard still feeling like the first time you bought it ? :D

Anyway, thank you a lot for the responses I got.
If I break one of my keys due to hardcore playing and it's still in warranty. Do I can get that warranty and my keyboard replaced ? :?
Deva

Full Tablet wrote:

HK_ wrote:

Yes it will, not matter what you buy it will wear out. But I doubt that you will have 50M hits any time soon so don't worry about it unless you start playing really hardcore.
Thanks for breaking my illusion about mechs ;_;

Cenia wrote:

Maybe not hardcore, but I tend to play beatmaps which have many tappings. such as this
Thats not a map with many notes, if thats near the max of notes you play then you dont have to worry at all.
Full Tablet

Cenia wrote:

Bad news for me then :x , does replacing switches cost a lot ? Which switch do you prefer (Gateron vs Cherry Red) for playing ? And do you replace the switches by yourself ? As I don't have any experience tinkering with these things.
I bought a pack of 12 Gateron switches for $20 from a store in China; replacing keycaps is more of an issue (the QuickfireTK has non-standard keycap sizes for some keys, limiting the options for buying replacements; buying a replacement keycap set would cost me more than buying a new keyboard entirely). Gateron Reds and Cherry Reds are similar enough I wouldn't able to tell the difference between them in a blind test.

Replacing switches requires soldering, but it is easy enough it can be a starting project for learning how to do it.
Endaris

Cenia wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Alright, how "old" is old map anyway ? Does your keyboard still feeling like the first time you bought it ? :D
"old" means maps that have a non-continous rhythm and therefore create moments where the player has to listen and wait for the perfect moment to strike. I like to throw this at people: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/31796&m=0
Play it nomod once if you aren't familiar with the song.

About my keyboard, no clue. There didn't change a whole lot because my tapping keys still feel very similar to keys that I don't use as much. The biggest difference I can notice is the difference in sound but then again this is mainly caused from the keys' locations on the keyboard (keys near the edge will have a higher pitch as the tapping force isn't equally spread throughout the keyboard compared to keys in the center).
tl;dr I can't tell.
I Give Up

Cenia wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

Do you ever feel that the switches different somehow from the first time you bought it ? I never put any drinks in my table so that can't be happening.
I play alternate so if the keyboard breaks, two keys all at once :o

KukiMonster wrote:

Does practice with songs which you already familliar with helps ? Or it must be a new song that I haven't played before ? I'm familiar with AR 8.5-9
Even if you were to manage 20,000 key presses per day which I doubt no one has time for, it will take 3 years to reach 20 million. My buttons feel the same as they were when I first used them.

Then stick to AR8.5-9 for the time being. Familiar maps help, try to HD FC the easy ones that you have already FC'd before. You won't get any pp for a while but beat as many of your old maps as possible to build consistency with HD.
metal10
So are mechanical keyboards even worth it? They are very expensive..
I had a blackwidow tournament and it broke just after 2 months, 7 keys had issues
Endaris
Razer products have a reputation of either breaking very quickly or doing what they are supposed to do for a reasonable amount of time.
None should be surprised when the former occurs because that's just how it works with Razer.
Yuudachi-kun
I bet it cost a fortune too
buny
ye
Rurree
Ducky keyboards are known for their quality, don't worry, that will last you for years.

I used to own a Corsair K95 which I've used for months without any sign of wear and tear. I dislike Cherry MX Reds though so I got a Logitech G810 with Romer-G switches which I'm loving a lot.

I'm getting a Vortex Pok3r in a few months though, I'm kind of excited. :)

P.S. - if you're planning to get a Razer keyboard, either get a pristine 2012 edition one, or the 2016 and Blackwidow X versions. The switches on those aren't Kailh, they're Cherry (2012) and Greetech (2016 & X) which are way more reliable and durable.
TakuMii
Pro tip: You're more likely to unseat the switches playing this game than you are to damage them beyond use. I've actually managed to unseat at least a dozen switches (I'm assuming it's the horizontal force from the way I tap), but it only took a bit of resoldering to get them working again.

Also, I wouldn't buy a Razer keyboard, but if you must go for one, go for a 2016 or an X model. MX Blue switches aren't the most optimal for games like this, and the non-Kailh Razer Greens/Oranges are noticeably better (in both feel and quality) than their Kailh counterparts.
Yuudachi-kun
What does unseat mean

Btw I play mania without keycaps and I hit directly on the switches. After 2m hits on all four of the keys each they're still going fine
TakuMii
I couldn't think of another word. Basically it's when you move or wiggle the switch horizontally enough that you somehow manage to break the solder between the board and the switch, to the point where you can literally pull the switch off of the keyboard without breaking anything.
Rurree
I'd actually recommend Gateron switches over Cherry switches. They're smoother and don't wobble as much as Cherry switches with the same lifespan.

You could find keyboards with Gateron switches on Massdrop and in Amazon, notable brands that include Gateron switches are Magicforce, Varmilo, Rantopad, Terminus, Noppoo.. They are cheaper and they feel better, good investment I should say. :)

FrzR

metal10 wrote:

So are mechanical keyboards even worth it? They are very expensive..
I had a blackwidow tournament and it broke just after 2 months, 7 keys had issues
Mechanical keyboards are worth it. There are a lot of cheaper mechanical keyboards than razer's blackwidow available in amazon, as long as you can shoulder the shipping fees etc. But imo, Razer products are good, but not great. It's like a lottery if you were to get a durable razer product because of their factory's inconsistent quality control although most of it relies on the user itself on how they use the keyboard for gaming.