1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Feature Requests
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +292
show more
posted

Zafufu wrote:

If you're saying the current form of gameplay is dead, then people wouldn't still be playing STD. And it's more about the targets than what keys you're supposed to press. The only way I think these notes should be added is in an optional mod, if at all.

Personally, I also feel t/427593 would be a more effective way to increase the key count at will.
I'm saying 1key exclusive gameplay is dead, not that standard is dead. No one tries to play the game with only 1key anymore, that was an old objective of design by peppy that is now obsolete. Without using a second key, osu! is basically unplayable. These double notes would be placed by the mapper, they wouldn't be random convoluted shit. I have experimented with the use of this concept using 1/16 doubles and it is definitely a playable and interesting concept.

-Jukke- wrote:

Just no.
Also 1key playing isnt dead, alot of people singletap literally everything 140bpm and under (1/4ths) so it isnt dead. And some even singletap bpms higher than that
1key EXCLUSIVE play is dead. No one plays relevant maps with only 1key. No one refuses to alternate streams, 2key is essential and integral to the game now, that's why this idea is more valid than in the past (when peppy believed maps should be possible with one key).

Seifhero wrote:

im a decent player and i single tap :/
Read above.

Stefan wrote:

osu! works perfectly this way since eight years.
What does this argument even mean. I could use it for literally any feature request. This changes nothing integral to osu! and for the most part won't alter gameplay, I wouldn't expect these kind of notes to become well used for at least a little while. Mappers will adjust and eventually it will become an interesting design option for people to use instead of butchered 1/16 doubles which hardly work due to note lock and are hence not currently a reasonable option.

F1r3tar wrote:

The only time people would accept something like this is if it was already in the game since or near the beginning. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It will not alter current maps at all, it's just a new tool available to mappers. This argument doesn't make much sense when it's not altering the current way of the game in any way.

Outline wrote:

jesse1412 wrote:

As simple as the title suggests. A clearly defined note that requires 2 keys to be pressed simultaneously in order to hit. This wouldn't have been a real suggestion in the past because (if I recall correctly) peppy believed that osu! should be playable with 1key, but 1key play isn't even a gimmicky genre anymore, it's 100% dead.
To me it sounds like it would be too hard to even play some patterns. A double of these two-hitters would be very hard, as will doing one and the immediately streaming or doing anything else. It would be too hard and would take too long to recover on any fast maps for it to work. I don't think this is a good idea.
Here's a 210bpm ghetto example of it quite reasonably working whilst having to deal with mad note lock. http://jesse1412.s-ul.eu/hVZkpk7m

darkmiz wrote:

yes and I also request 3, 4, and 5 key notes
Great, a strawman argument to throw into the mix. Strangely I don't recall osu! ever using 3,4 or 5 keys and hence I won't be requesting notes that require that many presses. Great argument though I was a bit stuck on how to respond for about 2 seconds.


Spro's graces of heaven uses this concept sparsely and it's incredibly fun. In the tamer sections it's easily readable too, even without a proper design to signify a "double" note. It would barely be a gimmick part of the map if his method of creating it wasn't so makeshift.
posted

jesse1412 wrote:

It will not alter current maps at all, it's just a new tool available to mappers. This argument doesn't make much sense when it's not altering the current way of the game in any way.
I never said I was against this. I merely stated that usually, people are only willing to accept something that their either comfortable with, or have known since the beginning. It's like if FL wasn't a thing and someone suggested it now, it probably would never be implemented.
posted
the thing is you can already do it, it's just takes longer without a tool to do so, feels clunky due to play cause of note lock, and is obviously unrankable. Like jesse said, it's just a new tool for mappers. This isn't some game play changing paradigm shift like giving sliders accuracy.

right now you're just being adversarial for the sake of being adversarial, like Stefan. May as well go to the forum index, open up the Adblock Element Hider, and do this if that's how you think:



'cause going into the Feature Requests forum to make replies like "this feature isnt going to happen becos its new" is beyond silly
posted

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

the thing is you can already do it, it's just takes longer without a tool to do so, feels clunky due to play cause of note lock, and is obviously unrankable. Like jesse said, it's just a new tool for mappers. This isn't some game play changing paradigm shift like giving sliders accuracy.

right now you're just being adversarial for the sake of being adversarial, like Stefan. May as well go to the forum index, open up the Adblock Element Hider, and do this if that's how you think:



'cause going into the Feature Requests forum to make replies like "this feature isnt going to happen becos its new" is beyond silly
Also doing it the makeshift way is legitimately wrong timing for most cases.
posted
How would you handle the hit windows on double notes?

Like if _ is a hit window and . is a 'keypress' would it work like _._._ or just _.._

or does it take how far apart your 2 keypresses were time-wise and just adds that difference to how late/early you tapped it in the first place? so if the map is od10 and you hit 15ms early and your double taps were 5ms apart you'd get a 100 because 15+5 = 20
posted

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

How would you handle the hit windows on double notes?

Like if _ is a hit window and . is a 'keypress' would it work like _._._ or just _.._

or does it take how far apart your 2 keypresses were time-wise and just adds that difference to how late/early you tapped it in the first place? so if the map is od10 and you hit 15ms early and your double taps were 5ms apart you'd get a 100 because 15+5 = 20
Just take the time of the "second" press. They'll be barely a few ms apart anyway I would assume.
posted

jesse1412 wrote:

Here's a 210bpm ghetto example of it quite reasonably working whilst having to deal with mad note lock. http://jesse1412.s-ul.eu/hVZkpk7m
You got 100s on almost all of those
posted

Outline wrote:

jesse1412 wrote:

Here's a 210bpm ghetto example of it quite reasonably working whilst having to deal with mad note lock. http://jesse1412.s-ul.eu/hVZkpk7m
You got 100s on almost all of those
Those are 210bpm 1/16 doubles at 1/2 spacing using od10. Let me break that down. Firstly, 1/16th doubles aren't correctly timed because the second note is 1/16th out of place. Secondly, at OD10 there's a 19.5ms timing window to hit a 300, the time between two notes at 210bpm 1/16 is 1/(210*16/60) = 0.01785s = 17.9ms. What this essentially means is that you have to hit the notes slightly late compared to the proper 1/2 timing and you no longer have a +-19.5ms timing window, you have only a + 19.5ms timing window. You have to hit late AND you have to hit with double the precision required to get a 300 at od10 WHILST mentally forcing yourself to press late AND pressing 2keys at the same time whilst pressing at 210bpm 1/2 speed.

No shit it's mostly 100's. Hence why this feature request exists, to fix all of the problems with the ghetto method of implementing "double notes".
posted
I don't see how it would be implemented well unless there was a mode for it.
posted

Outline wrote:

I don't see how it would be implemented well unless there was a mode for it.
A mode for it? It would be a note you place in editor. I'm mildly confused.
posted
posted
what if a player uses a keyboard from the 16th century that only has 1-key rollover

e; i did this without vibrating not too long ago so there's a fraction of a percentage less dead for you
posted
Sounds good tbh, the game could do with more hit-types anyway.
posted
well the truth is, in taiko we have these big notes that require two keys pressed, and they are the devil when mixed with normal notes
posted
cool idea, could lead to some interesting (ab)uses.

e: can i make a feature request to make voting multiple times less painful?
posted
no, this isn't taiko, std is about aiming and tapping the correct rhythm, not having to decide which keys to use. while we're at it you could also suggest colored notes that require k1 or k2 (or k3, k4 extra keys for this purpuse only) to be pressed specifically etc. but that just doesn't fit what std is.

(also alternating is a thing, and double/restricted-key note spam would just force us to basically singletap, which I personally dislike and find boring, and I feel it would be unfair to suddenly force people into that.)

for more variety we could introduce hold notes, which are basically zero length sliders, that would be fine I guess.
posted

Drezi wrote:

no, this isn't taiko, std is about aiming and tapping the correct rhythm, not having to decide which keys to use. while we're at it you could also suggest colored notes that require k1 or k2 (or k3, k4 extra keys for this purpuse only) to be pressed specifically etc. but that just doesn't fit what std is.

(also alternating is a thing, and double/restricted-key note spam would just force us to basically singletap, which I personally dislike and find boring, and I feel it would be unfair to suddenly force people into that.)

for more variety we could introduce hold notes, which are basically zero length sliders, that would be fine I guess.
just because it's not the same as it is currently, doesn't mean it's bad.

he suggested doubletap notes only, not some arbitrary shit you made up to make his suggestion look bad.
posted
it's the same principle... as in restricting which keys you use to tap the rhythm, you can see both these elements in taiko.
posted

Drezi wrote:

it's the same principle... you can see both these elements in taiko...
yes, but that's not what he suggested, is it? he didn't suggest colored notes, or using more keys than the current two you already use, or anything like that.

also, doubletaps in taiko aren't required afaik, you simply get more points for doubletaps on the larger notes than singletaps, and combo remains the same between single and doubletap.

why would doubletaps not aid in tapping the "correct" rhythm moreso than single keys only? doubletapping emphasised beats could be quite fun, assuming it matches the music.
posted
This would bring a whole new mapping trend with so many possibilities and fun, sign me up.
show more
Please sign in to reply.