forum

I can't S rank 3 star songs even after 100 tries

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YMSmash
Is that normal? I've played my maps over 100 times (mostly resetting if I miss) trying to get S's but still not getting them. The best I got was a no miss A, but it was an A because I got 2 50s during the last part. I always flunk those sliders (they keep on making that broken DJ disc sound)

I've played this game for 3 months last year but I stopped, I just got back to it last monday but I still think it's abnormal to not be able to get S's after 100 tries.
[Haku]
Easy answer : that's because you retry so many times. Just play as many different map as you can to improve.
StephOsu

on the serious note, go back to play 2 star songs
you aren't ready for 3 star songs yet when the best you can do is to FC A rank a 3 star song
get your fundamental skill and sense first before moving on to 3 star
Topic Starter
YMSmash
I see. Thanks for the feedback. If I do go back to 2 stars though, what should I aim for? nomod SS FC? or would a regular S be enough, as long as it's FC?
StephOsu
for now, aim for 95%+ accuracy FC
if you feel adventurous, go for 98%+ FC
oh and do your best to not retry since it kills consistency
Topic Starter
YMSmash
Is it a good idea to switch up songs often or should I stick to one song until I can 95% FC it?

Oh, and it's really hard to kill the habit of resetting every time I miss, but I'm working on it lol

and what does the blue kanji characters that appear sometimes mean? Are they also 300s/100s?
Endaris
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Score#osu.21_Scoring_Values

It's better to play different stuff. You can come back to a song you struggled with a couple of days later and magically it will be a lot easier.
StephOsu

Endaris wrote:

It's better to play different stuff. You can come back to a song you struggled with a couple of days later and magically it will be a lot easier.
literally what happened on my early days of osu until i can FC 4 stars
Topic Starter
YMSmash
Just realized how much I really suck when I can't even reach 92% consistently. I've been playing most of the 2 star songs and I mostly get B's with acc ranging from 86 to 92 on first try.
StephOsu
the true answer to get good is always play more
Xyrus_old_1

StephOsu wrote:

Endaris wrote:

literally what happened on my early days of osu until i can FC 4 stars
Still happens to me with 4.0-5.5* maps. :)
Sayorie
Download more maps and enjoy the game. There's no point in trying so hard.
Asop

StephOsu wrote:

I mostly play 4-5 star songs that I can combo 80% of the map on a good play with 85-93% acc usually. Should I go back to playing slightly easier songs and going for fc?
Endaris

_Asop wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

I mostly play 4-5 star songs that I can combo 80% of the map on a good play with 85-93% acc usually. Should I go back to playing slightly easier songs and going for fc?
Yes. And 95% acc.
Topic Starter
YMSmash
So I played lots of 2 star maps tonight (a lot for me anyway, since I usually stick to one song) and I had 15 songs with 95% accuracy, almost half of them were FC, and of them was actually a 3 star hard song w/c I did a while ago

I'm considering redoing the songs were I got 88-94% for higher accuracy, then going for FCs on 95% songs that I haven't FC'ed yet

When can I consider moving on to 3 star songs? As much as possible I'd want to be able to consistently hit 90%~ accuracy
StephOsu
you want to at least constantly hit 95% acc before moving onto 3 star songs
you can casually play them though when you are bored of 2 stars, just remember to go back to 2 stars if you can't 95% 3 stars yet
ithgyu
dont play 2 star maps, its useless, play 3 star maps, just dont bother going for fcs, try to pass the hardest stuff you can almost pass
Hibiya-chan
Yuudachi-kun
Well that's bad
Rosten
Stop retrying so much. I don't think I even have any songs I've racked up a 100 plays on (And I replay maps. A lot.)

Ironically enough, for once the actual answer really is just play more. Retry less and actually play the game. What's the point of a 99% FC on the hardest map you have if you can't repeat that performance? Consistency is key.

Also, if you're messing up sliders, make sure to pay close attention to how fast the slider is moving and if it goes any specific direction. There'll be a point where simpler sliders will be little more than an after-thought, you're not at that point yet.

More than anything though, just enjoy the game. You're not at the level where you need to be try-harding for S/SS ranks. Have fun before you get sucked into wanting to be the next cookiezi. :P

(If your acc is poor though, the best thing you can do for it is to just listen to the song rather than rely on the hit-circles, learned that one the hard way >_>)
show more