forum

osu!mania ScoreV2 live!

posted
Total Posts
show more
FelipeLink
@smoogi:
I made a ''test'' map for trying how LN v1 works vs LN v2 and well i just found that the HP recovery is the same but well the HP drain is kinda a problem, with score v2 LN you can fail twice faster than v1, so well yeah thats the only problem i can find on lnv2, the recovery is not significant because the drain is too big.
And well, on hard LN maps even good skilled players can do rushs and miss like 1~3 lns in a row and on v2 this is like 100% dead and on v1 this isn't a big problem.

Oh and i miss my Hit Lightning, after the new beta update they just disappeared ):
(i talked with some players who use's beta and all of they hit lightning disappeared too)
Ayaya

Shoegazer wrote:

I would much rather see the change now, especially since group stages is the round where MAX accuracy matters the most, and cases like this and this (lim vs bumpinho) are going to be very common. I don't think the competitors will mind a change in MAX weightage especially since it'd be similar to scorev1 would look like (which makes for easier transitioning) and from what I've talked to with other players, they certainly wouldn't mind having a change in MAX weightage if it meant for a more accurate assessment of ability. The frame of reference of what defines an SS will be malleable, especially since they know that these context of an SS is now situational.
I'm going to have to agree with Shoegazer on this. At first when I heard people were talking about how 200s were overemphasis, I thought it wasn't change a lot but when I saw those picture, that is crazy. I'm pretty sure every mania player would want this too be fix because we all know accuracy is key in mania. Just because someone has a rainbow ratio of 11:1 and someone has 4:1, that doesn't mean the person with the 4:1 ratio should win just because he has 1 less 200... (juan vs Hudonom). Need to be fix asap! It's not too late to change this before MWC starts.
Jinjin
What the players above are saying is true. accuracy is CRITICAL in group stages, and this is where the MAX counts really matter. It's much better to slightly give more weight to the MAXs than keep the current system and wait it out.
Halogen-
Matches haven't happened yet. It's not too late to make this change to the score system -- the ratios that players will get on the songs in groups will not change based off of this, but the physical scores and the representation of their abilities well.
Topic Starter
smoogipoo
It is too late, the changes are untested, which is especially dangerous since the proposal modifies MAX's value, and there are other things to do to get osu! ready for MWC. Sorry but it's not happening just yet, and won't happen until MWC 7K. I discussed with Loctav and we both agreed the impact as a result of not putting this change through would be unnoticed in most cases.
Halogen-
Droves of people participating in MWC are taking note about how ridiculously impactful non-300 judgments are. We saw lim post a score where the presence of an additional 200 caused them to lose against a person who had 90x more 300s, which is absolute insanity -- this issue was actually brought to light by both map selectors: Kamikaze with the screenshot of a mock match between Poland/Argentina that showed juankristal losing to Hudonom by 18 points when he had less than half of the 300 count but a single 200 added on (and just so this doesn't get looked at the wrong way, it was juankristal's 79 to Hudonom's 177 - we're not talking small values here), and Shoegazer with his very usual, eloquent explanations as to why the formula is flawed.

This has been mentioned for the past few pages, I might add. It hasn't gone unnoticed in the slightest.
numbermaniac
How do the map scoreboards work if most people are playing with ScoreV1 but those with Cutting Edge have V2?
Meseki

numbermaniac wrote:

How do the map scoreboards work if most people are playing with ScoreV1 but those with Cutting Edge have V2?
V2 scoring is only available as an option in multiplayer.

Also, The V2 scoring for osu!mania is available in the Stable version right now.
lim38
Only 2pts separation gap for only the difference between 2 300 xD
Halogen-
that's

a thing
Ayaya
make sense, 1 point for each note :^)
Todestrieb
If It's HR and 2 max = 2 points, Sounds of Summer have 1407 objects, only 1.407/1.100.000 scores is rewarded for the MAXs? >:(
Tidek

lim38 wrote:

Combo, lim got more 300/200 on <400combo because of score multiplier
Kempie
Consider the following scores from the group stages:

Cheetose has a 28.6% higher MAX/300 ratio compared to WindyS. Cheetose's score should be a fair bit higher, but somehow WindyS got a higher score??? Also notice how just a couple of 200s and 2 misses create a pretty large gap between juankristal and the entire Korean team. There are many more examples like this in the group stages. Players are barely rewarded for significantly better MAX/300 ratios, while players getting just a couple of 200s/100s/50s are severely punished. This has one very serious implication in the MWC4K: teams are severely punished for having a (relatively) bad player on their team, but not proportionally awarded for having really good players on their time.

Without changing ScoreV2 too much, having MAX's included in the accuracy component would make most sense. Thinking about it, completely ignoring the most important judgement of accuracy in the accuracy component of ScoreV2 is more than a little odd.

Tidek wrote:

lim38 wrote:

Combo, lim got more 300/200 on <400combo because of score multiplier
Can we please get rid of the combo component? These kind of wonky differences are going to be a thing as long as combo is involved in the scoring system.
Yuudachi-kun
The second thing is a bit too much to ask for since they've already decided that that's going to be a major feature and that's final.
Kempie

Khelly wrote:

The second thing is a bit too much to ask for since they've already decided that that's going to be a major feature and that's final.
Is it still too much to ask for when this major feature is inherently flawed? Because this clearly is the case with the combo component, as can be seen in some of the scores posted in this thread. The scoring system's combo aspect can most definitely be improved upon without completely removing it, but it's always going to be susceptible to producing undesirable scores.

I want ScoreV2 to be the BestThingEver™ as much as everyone else here, but I'm pretty sure osu!mania is even better off with the old bonus score compared to ScoreV2's combo component. If the devs have decided to go with it anyway (have they even stated this?), then that's a pity.

/rant
-Squishy
Has anyone talked about combo as being a mod?
Just like how perfect and sudden death are mods, combo is pretty much just the more lenient form of sudden death where you don't die when you combo break. It could give like a score multiplier or something so people have an incentive to use it.
So on a song that is really hard to FC because of some dense minijack or burst that only a few people can get will be much more rewarding for those who can FC and won't be discouraged if their full combo was beaten by some better accuracy player that completely missed that one impossible section.
This would make it more appealing for tourneys as missing a note midway basically ruins your potential from scoring an even remotely decent score while getting a full combo will be very rewarding.
abraker

Squishykorean wrote:

As a mod, yes please
Full Tablet

Squishykorean wrote:

Has anyone talked about combo as being a mod?
Just like how perfect and sudden death are mods, combo is pretty much just the more lenient form of sudden death where you don't die when you combo break. It could give like a score multiplier or something so people have an incentive to use it.
So on a song that is really hard to FC because of some dense minijack or burst that only a few people can get will be much more rewarding for those who can FC and won't be discouraged if their full combo was beaten by some better accuracy player that completely missed that one impossible section.
This would make it more appealing for tourneys as missing a note midway basically ruins your potential from scoring an even remotely decent score while getting a full combo will be very rewarding.
What do you mean by combo mod? What would it do?
abraker

Full Tablet wrote:

He means to have options on which scoring method to use. The combo mod in this sense would use the combo based scoring.
Full Tablet

abraker wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

He means to have options on which scoring method to use. The combo mod in this sense would use the combo based scoring.
In that case, wouldn't it better if both scoring methods were calculated simultaneously for each play, and both values are recorded in the play? In leaderboards, people would have an option to sort by combo scoring or accuracy score.

Accuracy score should be the main value used for the rest of the performance and ranking system (as long there is only one ranking based on the one-dimensional pp value of each player), since the count of the judgments is a more reliable statistic to base inferences about the skill of a player, compared to the length of string of non-misses (mixing both by adding two different formulas together doesn't make it better than a pure accuracy-based formula either, the quality of the formula used for overall score increases the lower the weight of the combo portion of it is).

That said, basing the accuracy score on the current Accuracy Percentage formula is not good either. Accuracy Percentage underweights the importance of Rainbows over regular 300s, and overweights the importance of 200s over 100s/50s/Misses.
-Squishy

Full Tablet wrote:

Accuracy score should be the main value used for the rest of the performance and ranking system (as long there is only one ranking based on the one-dimensional pp value of each player), since the count of the judgments is a more reliable statistic to base inferences about the skill of a player, compared to the length of string of non-misses (mixing both by adding two different formulas together doesn't make it better than a pure accuracy-based formula either, the quality of the formula used for overall score increases the lower the weight of the combo portion of it is).
"Skill" isn't all about accuracy. Although most people agree it should be the largest factor, players have a variety of other skills which some focus more than others and that should deserve some acknowledgement in their score. In this case, it would be for players with the speed/finger dexterity to hit those few extra notes in the hardest part of a map to keep their full combo compared to accuracy players who will skim through that section and perfect everything else on the map.
Full Tablet

Squishykorean wrote:

"Skill" isn't all about accuracy. Although most people agree it should be the largest factor, players have a variety of other skills which some focus more than others and that should deserve some acknowledgement in their score. In this case, it would be for players with the speed/finger dexterity to hit those few extra notes in the hardest part of a map to keep their full combo compared to accuracy players who will skim through that section and perfect everything else on the map.
The thing is, combo is not a good way to measure the aspect of skill you mention either.

For measuring the ability of being able to hit hard notes without missing, miss count is a better statistic than a score based on combo.

If you want to isolate speed/dexterity skill from overall accuracy skill, ideally, you should be able to calculate 2 different scores for each aspect of skill, and have two different leaderboards and rankings for the same plays.
juankristal
So yeah, accuracy is the main value in both score v1 and v2. Combo is important as your score drops if you miss, whats the point of having a "combo mod" then? I dont really get it.

If you are good at doing combos but your acc is really bad why should you win against a good accuracy with some missees? Into a level where everyone misses then yeah, sure, but adding the combo mod wont change stuff imo.
Kempie

Squishykorean wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

What you (and I) want is better achieved by increasing the significance of a single miss. Accuracy players will be harshly (but fairly) punished for missing, and speed/dexterity players still stand a chance with their lower accuracy and higher combos. If ScoreV2 were to drop the combo component and go this route, we would have a scoring system that...:
  1. still rewards players for keeping their combo.
  2. treats x consequent misses the same as x isolated misses (ScoreV2 punishes isolated misses more severely)
  3. cannot produce broken scores where similar performances have unexplainable differences, because relatively more 200s were attained at <400 combo.
  4. can be significantly simpler to understand and implement.
This isn't some magical fairlytale. I've mentioned MIGS scoring several times in this thread, which achieves exactly this without combo.
Ayaya

Kempie wrote:

If ScoreV2 were to drop the combo component and go this route, we would have a scoring system that...:
  1. rewards players for keeping their combo.
Kempie

Ayaya wrote:

Kempie wrote:

If ScoreV2 were to drop the combo component and go this route, we would have a scoring system that...:
  1. rewards players for keeping their combo.
When all you do is remove the combo component, misses aren't sufficiently punished for, i.e. keeping combo (not missing) isn't as big of a deal as it should be. By making misses more punishing, you are "rewarding" (more like not punishing) players that do not miss, and thus keep their combo.

It sounds confusing because it's sort off tackling the same problem in the exact opposite way. You're not actually rewarding players for keeping high combos, you're just upping the punishment of misses. Fewer misses generally equal higher combo, with edge cases like FC'ing a song and then missing the last 5 notes being an exception to that rule. Unsurprisingly, these edge cases also produce funny scores in ScoreV1/V2, but not in MIGS scoring for example.
Ayaya
I knew what you meant but you just worded that part weird, also I just wanted to use that jpeg :)
-Squishy
Yes I would agree punishing misses more harshly would solve much of the problem. The only thing that might make this slightly unattractive is the fact someone might mess up and cause a chain of misses even though they are hitting the notes correctly. The current combo multiplier doesn't punish as hard when this happens because as long as you recover and don't miss later, you are still given a chance at getting a decent score despite a tiny screw up that the game mechanics happened to snowball on.
Would you reward a player that missed 5 notes spread out throughout the map equally to a player who hit a chord wrong and missed 5 consecutive notes together?
This is purely opinion based but what this seems to be turning into is another stepmania scoring system and with lots of players here coming from that game, it would only be natural to lean towards their scoring system.
Yuudachi-kun

Squishykorean wrote:

This is purely opinion based but what this seems to be turning into is another stepmania scoring system and with lots of players here coming from that game, it would only be natural to lean towards their scoring system.
So you should cater to the people migrating rather than having them adapt or leave like they should?
Shoegazer

Squishykorean wrote:

Yes I would agree punishing misses more harshly would solve much of the problem. The only thing that might make this slightly unattractive is the fact someone might mess up and cause a chain of misses even though they are hitting the notes correctly. The current combo multiplier doesn't punish as hard when this happens because as long as you recover and don't miss later, you are still given a chance at getting a decent score despite a tiny screw up that the game mechanics happened to snowball on.
Would you reward a player that missed 5 notes spread out throughout the map equally to a player who hit a chord wrong and missed 5 consecutive notes together?
Getting a chain of misses in isolation is an extremely rare scenario. In hard sections particularly, it is complemented with 100s and 50s, which is the major proportion of the penalty of a general CB rush/bad judgement rush. It's not misses that are particularly penalising despite the slightly higher penalty per judgement, since they happen less frequently than 50s/100s. A CB rush will almost always punish a player far more than misses in isolation, not necessarily because of the combo multiplier, but because of the accuracy component.

The main ways you can get a massive amount of misses and only misses is if you're very negligent in an easy section (misreads), minor misreads in hard sections (which are generally penalised less anyway) or if you're hitting extremely conservatively in hard sections. Being negligent in an easy section is usually minor (1-2 misses), it's very very rare to actually early miss a massive chord in the first place anyway. And even then, that's an extreme edge case - and an extremely rare scenario that is rarely replicated in normal gameplay and can be discarded as an anomaly in gameplay.

Combo multiplier has the issue of not being able to discriminate between 5 misses spread out in easy sections and 5 misses in a hard section, definitely, but so do misses. Having a combo multiplier is just increasing the magnitude of that source of error. This is ultimately why people don't think combo multiplier is a good idea - it's an unnecessary metric that adds nothing if the game itself does not promote the idea of "perfection". osu!mania does not promote perfection. Otherwise, the PP system would favour more towards 1mil scores rather than 700-850K scores, SR would look at only the hardest part of the chart (it technically does this already if the hard section is long enough, but it doesn't address super short spikes completely well), and non-300 judgements would be far far more punishing.
Kempie
Since there's not much left to discuss about ScoreV2, I'll just post this interesting MWC match to remind the devs on the severity of MAX's being underrated:

Other scores left out for brevity.
Yuudachi-kun
Maybe the 1xgood was too bad for halogen
Halogen-
It's pretty telling that we know how harsh it is given we've also seen what the difference is with individual 300 judgments -- the fact that I got 164 less 300s but only had a single 200 and lost by 350 points when our scores were that high is very telling: 300s are not weighted enough, or judgments beneath that are weighted too heavily (or a combination of the two)...
Bobbias
Yeah, holy crap, that should not happen. If the ratio was closer I could see guil edging that out, but with that much difference in 300's that's pretty insane.
Daikyi
essentially, the mechanic of score in the end should be an indicator of which spread of judgements took more skill to hit

in the example of halogen vs. guilhermeziat, i think pretty much anyone can glance at those judgement spreads and say one is better than the other.
that's not being shown in the actual score however.
Jinjin
today's match between Japan and Brazil (and a lot of other matches throughout this tourney featuring dense LN maps) shows how ridiculously difficult the HP penalty is for LN maps. Please take this into consideration and rebalance HP losses and gains on long notes for the future.
Ciel
ScoreV2 in retrospect (similar to my previous long post, you can just read the bolded parts if you can't be assed):

First things first. While some of these issues were pointed out before MWC started, there also wasn't that much time to actually go about fixing these changes. That doesn't mean I'm going to repost these issues here however. Also, I am mostly going to be reposting issues discovered, along with a few other of my own comments, so this will largely be a post combining info.

300g's and 300's

One of the major issues found, especially pertaining to high level play, comes from the fact that the accuracy component did not differentiate between 300g's and 300's. This resulted in the weights of the non-perfect judgements counting for far more than they should have, as the only advantage a 300g had was in the combo portion of the score, which was typically extremely small. In a previous post, Shoegazer suggested how we could let 300g's be weighted as a 305 in the accuracy portion of the score. (Smaller than scorev1 due to the exponential vs. linear nature of this portion of the score). A naive implementation of this, however, would make SS's pretty much non-existent, which I am not sure is good for the overall state of the game (as getting rid of an entire grade seems like a bad idea). When MWC 7k rolls around next year and people start actually caring about this again, it would be a good idea to start by testing out this change, especially as it significantly affects score in the earlier stages of a tournament.

LNs

At the time of my previous post, I mentioned how the ending window of LNs should be loosened a bit. As it turns out, there was never any extra leniency for releases in the first place, and for the most part, it now looks pretty fine. Overall, it is still more difficult to get good accuracy on LNs like before, but that is fine.

However, LNs still run into 2 problems. First of all, the HP drain rate (and health mechanics related to LNs) are generally fucked. This is due to a couple of reasons:
  1. In Scorev1, simply holding an LN wouuld give you a small increase in HP every combo tick. This originally was not present in v2, but this was apparently fixed by smoogi before the tournament. I suspect then, that the main reason for the HP drain being fucked comes from the next point.
  2. While each normal note can only be "missed" once, you can actually miss a LN up to 3 times. The points where you can miss are namely: the LN start, the LN end, and releasing a held LN (resulting in a HoldBreak or whatever, can't be assed to search it up). In addition, if you don't have the LN start, or break the hold, you automatically reduce the highest judgement for the LN end to 50, hampering HP gain even more. Compare this to Scorev1, where you could only miss twice (one of the contributing reasons to why LN maps are harder to maintain HP in as well).
In addition, due to the fact that that LN's have 2 judgments of equal weight to a normal note, it is also possible that LN's may be overweighted compared to normal notes. The actual balance for fixing these changes however, will have to wait for another time when everyone begins complaining about scorev2 again.

The Combo Portion

To be perfectly honest, this barely mattered at all during the tournament, as for the most part, the player/team with the better accuracy won. Other than the fact that the notes at the beginning of the song are weighted less than notes after the 400th notes, which can most certainly be fixed in the future, there is not really enough enough experimental evidence, especially with scores that aren't this high, in order to see what effect this really has. This probably has to be put off for a more large scale test in the future, especially considering outliers that have good acc/bad combo, and those that have bad acc/good combo.
InabaYap
Not sure if I understand this correctly, but if I do,

300g has been hit in two ways in scorev2:
1. Not playing a role anymore in multipliers.
The main difference between 300g and 300 other than HitValue was the HitBonus allowing more accurate players to more quickly make up for the score deficit after a mistake. The removal of HitPunishment and HitBonus means there's no difference in the following notes. Your combo multiplier increases the same way whether you get a 200, 300 or 300g. Literally there's a 1/16 raw score difference on a single note between the two judgments, which is in turn affected by:

(as mentioned multiple times)
2. Being confined in the combo portion of scoring.
80% of the score AND the multiplier (the main point!) of the remaining 20% portion have nothing to do with your 300g ratio. This results in a pathetic actual difference between the two judgments, and players with no actual sense of rhythm get scores like this: (forgot mp link, but the others had about 3:1 300g ratio give or take)

hue

Personally I agree with the 300g -> 305 idea, and to preserve the practicality of grades may I dare suggest the ridiculous idea of having TWO accuracy calculated: a displayed accuracy and an actual accuracy. The displayed accuracy does not differentiate between 300g's and 300's while the actual accuracy used in the scoring does. This is kind of like scorev1 though.
LastExceed
Where can I see the current characteristics of scoreV2 ? The OP is outdated and I honestly don't want to read through the 25 pages of this post

Also why does FlashLight give a multiplier but FadeIn doesn't when there are some people who perform better with FL than NoMod but not a single one in the world who performs better with FI than NoMod? (I can tell by the "global rankings with active mods" that I am the only one in the world who uses FI for topscores, and even I only do it because it's a fun challenge, it's actually a handicap to my performance)
show more