forum

osu!mania ScoreV2 live!

posted
Total Posts
show more
abraker

robby250 wrote:

Or perhaps you have people like smoogipooo who just want to make a system that's more entertaining to watch for MWC; to make scores more excitingly different from each other. In that case, why not instead add harder songs in the map pool? Is it because the same people would win consistently every time because they're better instead of randoms winning because they got lucky and didn't combo break that time? Yeah well, unfortunately that's the nature of rhythm games and better players are supposed to win. Maybe stop separating people per country for a change and together with adding harder maps in the pool you might get more exciting matches. But rhythm games just aren't as exciting to watch as other e-sports, and nothing will change that, specifically because skill differences in players are so well defined here, it's much more objective and straightforward.
Oh so much this. smoogipoo want to add a bit of dice into the game by potentially magnifying any mistake the player makes. The maps they choose are pretty uniform in difficulty generally speaking, so it it shouldnt be surprising if the match was decided from the beginning. If you want more interesting matches, pick more interesting maps. Maps which are long and have difficulty spikes layed throughout like land mines should make it interesting.
EtienneXC

robby250 wrote:

abraker wrote:

Comparing mania to other VSRG's is a lost cause because it is a subjective matter. Players are going to cause backlash bacause it's aiming to be different than the standards those set. That's all can be stated and is not even a good arguement against scoreV2. I suggest you guys argue against scoreV2 objectively and explain what flaws it has within results and/or calculation.
Score v2 = more combo based than score v1, yes?
Combo based = encourages spamming restart on the first miss instead of playing songs through, adds a lot of needless frustration, anguish and stress in a game that is supposed to be fun.
The people who want a combo based system exist most likely because of osu! standard, because they can't fathom the possibility of a game where a miss isn't a play ruiner.

Or perhaps you have people like smoogipooo who just want to make a system that's more entertaining to watch for MWC; to make scores more excitingly different from each other. In that case, why not instead add harder songs in the map pool? Is it because the same people would win consistently every time because they're better instead of randoms winning because they got lucky and didn't combo break that time? Yeah well, unfortunately that's the nature of rhythm games and better players are supposed to win. Maybe stop separating people per country for a change and together with adding harder maps in the pool you might get more exciting matches. But rhythm games just aren't as exciting to watch as other e-sports, and nothing will change that, specifically because skill differences in players are so well defined here, it's much more objective and straightforward.

Sure, I'll admit that a combo based scoring system makes tournament games more exciting to watch, but the trade-off which is making the game much more frustrating to play for the average user isn't worth it.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I'm just trying to give my opinion as constructively as I can. I'm not against anything in score v2 except making it more combo based.

This guy.
Halogen-
I am having a lot of issue understanding this "RNG" concept that you guys are talking about. There's been plenty of instances of the game pulling RNG-like behavior on scores.

This one is beyond me. You'd need a PhD level dissertation to properly justify that one (hint: you can't).

Almost as bad, but still telling.

etc.

... it doesn't take long to see this. Anyone saying that the current score system is in any way or shape better than the proposed V2 without any actual data is out of their mind and is just spewing at this point.
robby250
@Halogen I'm not defending the current system. I'm simply against the combo component of score v2, which would enforce situations similar to the ones you've listed. For your examples, I'm guessing the distribution of misses/combo breaks is what made the difference in score.

Here's my proposed changes for score v2 specifically:

- Make regular 300s give 95% accuracy and make rainbow 300 scale with OD.
- Replace the fixed combo cap of 400 with 5%-10% of the max combo of the map, using the same algorithm as score v2.
- LN starts and ends should be separated like score v2 does, however LN ends shouldn't add combo (I don't mind if they do though) and they should be made more lenient instead of tighter (I don't really care either way, I just think that making them tighter would make even more people hate LNs and it would be harder to integrate LNs into a map without lowering OD).
- Increase HP drain and make a better anti-mashing system (discussing specifics is futile at this point)
- Add rates, give each mod/rate a multiplier that doesn't make it too difficult to beat your earlier score as long as you master the map relatively well.

The changes I've mentioned are very rough and could be interpreted for better or worse.
Yuudachi-kun
I always felt regular 300's should give 99% and rainbow's should give 100% because when it comes to multiple SS's or high acc scores you basically have to look at the score number or the actual # of rainbows and 300's each player got in order to compare instead of a quick % glance. Besides, rainbow's don't change from 16.5 ms no matter the OD.
kiyoemon

gintoki147 wrote:

Khelly wrote:

I like the osu client and think a lot of the other games look and feel like complete shit to me
thank you so much
as someone who started playing VSRGs two years ago and tried many different games, those are exactly my thoughts of o2jam/stepmania lmao
Ever since stepmania introduced scripting as a part of skinning, theming, the diversity of stepmania themes skyrocketed.

Hinpoppo

Khelly wrote:

I'm against a combo based system for a mania type game but I feel it's appropriate for standard because I'm capable of separating these two games into categories that have nothing to do with each other.

2016-06-20 14:38 Khelly: Hey rate my combo based scoring idea
2016-06-20 14:38 Lampranthus: yeah
2016-06-20 14:38 Khelly: Combo is worth 100,000/1,000,000 points
2016-06-20 14:38 Khelly: 25% of a map's total combo
2016-06-20 14:38 Khelly: will give you all 100k points
2016-06-20 14:40 Khelly: Is that good or bad
2016-06-20 14:45 Lampranthus: I think it's pretty good
2016-06-20 14:45 Lampranthus: Again, if you back it up with making your game's content able to fit those standard there's nothing you can do really wrong
2016-06-20 14:45 Lampranthus: but speed players will leave, and MA players from Stepmaina and LR2 will flock in
cringe

Basically the point (indirectly but in relevancy to the topic at hand) of my post beforehand was that you can't really make a game based off of consistency and combo when your game mostly consists of charting styles based off of other scoring systems that don't include these systems.

Mini-LNs in stepmania are completely justified and are actually welcomed as a booster for your DP; the equivalent of raw score/%accuracy in O!M. In this game, it is the contrary; many conversions such as Brute Force have watered down the amount of mini-LNs used for what I assume is this reason (I don't want to put words into the "mouth" of the person who converted them).

I truly think that if Osu!Mania was a little more strict with creating their own original content while also mass producing it. You would also have to unrank stuff like haelequin's bullshit ending to fully justify these changes without making it a half-assed game like it currently is. (Unranked stuff doesn't really matter in scoring that much anyway aside from in tourneys which only affects the minority of players)

toolazytowriteanymore so

tl;dr Anything can work as a solid game as long as the work is put in to actually make it a fully-fleshed out thing. It may not appeal to all audiences of course; being a player who doesn't play for consistency I don't think it would much appeal for me, but it would definitely make for interesting content. Pretty much, if you're going to make a game that breaks the mold of current popular VSRG, you had better make the innovations elsewhere than in just the scoring system.

really lazy sry

*Also I should probably say that I understand that this is actually only going to be in MWC for now, just saying stuff
Bobbias
It's only sort of related to scorev2, but I wanted to make a small point about scoring and mapping style.

See, when osu!mania was released, I saw it as a possible way to create a place where every kind of chart/map/file/whatever is acceptable. Not just another game with it's own exclusive community that comes up with their own style and ignores everything every other game is doing. The fact that it supports a wide number of key modes just added to this sense of inclusivity. I'm all for osu!mania finding it's own style, but I'd rather not have a scoring system that is designed around that single style. Nor do I want to see ranked maps all conform to a singular style.
Kurisu Makise
Here's a suggestion for accuracy score part. I tried to keep both essential score bonus for each additional percent above 95% and lenient enough loss for low acc players to give their teams a chance.

Formula and curve

acc_score = k*max_acc_score,
k=0.4-(((x-0.8)/0.8)^2)*0.4+x^(2^(3*x))*0.625

Also, i support Shoegazer's combo suggestion. In his system, one miss at 1000 combo map means loss of ~10k. In regular score system, this number is almost the same, lol. Shoegazer's suggestion would make score v2 not combo-based, but combo-adjusted. I didn't find any plots, so i've made one:

Curve

X is your combo,
Y is your score earned from combo start, divided to score you'd have for same part if your combo was 300+.

That means, if you miss in the middle of map and then get 300 combo, you'll lose ~18% of score for those 300 notes. If map has 1500 notes, that will be 18% of 1/5 of 200k, lol (that's about 7k).
Other example: if your average combo is about 45, then your combo score will be about 0.5*200k=100k. I can't imagine that someone manage to pass the map and lose 100k of combo score in that way.

I hope, this will help people to understand advantages of Shoegazer's combo formula.
Kempie

Kivicat wrote:

That means, if you miss in the middle of map and then get 300 combo, you'll lose ~18% of score for those 300 notes. If map has 1500 notes, that will be 18% of 1/5 of 200k, lol (that's about 7k).
If I understood your post correctly (correct me if I did not), this would mean that playing badly punishes you for notes played later on in the song. That's a big problem, consider this scenario:

Beatmap X, 2000 notes, hard 20 note burst @ 980th note and another equally hard 20 note burst @ 1980th note. Player A hits all notes, but misses 1 note in the first burst. Player B hits all notes, but misses 1 note in the last burst. Both players performed equally well, but player B gets a higher score.

The same problem exists in the current scoring system. I don't think I've seen any combo based scoring system proposed that doesn't have problems like these, which is why I think it's better to look for a scoring system that does not rely on combo.
Kurisu Makise

Drojoke wrote:

If I understood your post correctly (correct me if I did not), this would mean that playing badly punishes you for notes played later on in the song.
See Shoegazer's post, there's no such a problem due to logarithmic function for combo and combo limit.
JustinNF
My Brain: *Math Error intensifies*
Full Tablet

Kivicat wrote:

Drojoke wrote:

If I understood your post correctly (correct me if I did not), this would mean that playing badly punishes you for notes played later on in the song.
See Shoegazer's post, there's no such a problem due to logarithmic function for combo and combo limit.
The problem is still present in some extent.

For example, in a map with 2000 notes, 3 20-note bursts at 500, 550, and 600.
Two players miss once during the first burst. Player A misses once during the 2nd bursts but doesn't miss during the 3rd. Player B doesn't miss during the 2nd burst but misses once during the 3rd. Player A gets a higher score overall than Player B.

The only case where situations like these don't happen would be when the current combo doesn't have an influence in the amount of score given by a note.

For increasing the influence of misses, it would be better to redefine how accuracy is determined. The current accuracy percentage formula (and any scaling defined by a monotonic function of it) underestimates the importance of misses and bad judgments compared to better judgments.
Kempie

Kivicat wrote:

By multiplying the hit value with the logarithm of your combo (up to combo limit), you're only making the problems Full Tablet and I suggested smaller. Differences in scores that really should've been the same are now smaller, but they're still there.

Full Tablet wrote:

The current accuracy percentage formula (and any scaling defined by a monotonic function of it) underestimates the importance of misses and bad judgments compared to better judgments.
Accuracy and score both underestimate the importance of misses and bad judgements, and they always will as long as misses give 0 score and 0% accuracy. Combo bases systems try to make misses matter more by (usually) reducing the score given by subsequent notes, but this creates all sorts of edge cases where such a scoring system produces very odd score differences.

I still think it's best to take inspiration from stepmania's way of punishing for misses and bad judgements; by reducing score. This punishes bad gameplay without edge cases like the ones Full Tablet and I mentioned.
NoSaucierMagic
lets be real the only reason they want combo scoring is because they're hoping the entire planet doesn't get blown out by an undefeated usa team that doesn't even play their game, again
Ayaya

NoSaucierMagic wrote:

lets be real the only reason they want combo scoring is because they're hoping the entire planet doesn't get blown out by an undefeated usa team that doesn't even play their game, again
This post made my day :lol:
Full Tablet
Here is a formula for score based on the judgment counts (acc-based score).
It is based on linear approximations during the calculation of the normal curve that fits the distribution of the judgments (using exact formulas required using numerical methods that were somewhat computationally expensive, and maybe they were too complex); the linear approximation is better for low accuracy scores (but it still should gives sensible values for high accuracy scores).

Variables:
a: Hit window for a Rainbow (16.5ms with no-mod with old timing values).
b: Hit window for a 300 (OD and Mod dependent).
c: Hit window for a 200.
d: Hit window for a 100.
e: Hit window for a 50.
JMAX/J300/.../JMISS : Count of the judgments.

anm: Linear scale constant, to make the maximum score 1,000,000, then anm=a. To make scores between different OD or timing window mods (HR/EZ) in the same map directly comparable (a higher score represents a higher accuracy), then anm has to be constant regardless of the timing windows.
  1. To balance EZ/HR/Nomod, it would be a good idea to always make anm equal to the value of "a" with Nomod. That way HR can go beyond 1 million score (as long as the player has very good accuracy during the play), EZ gets less than 1 million even with all rainbows, all-Rainbows with no-mod is always 1 million score.
  2. If the timing window for a Rainbow is ever OD-dependent, then anm would need to be OD-dependent as well to make the max score with no-mod 1 million, but then, the difficulty of achieving certain score would vary depending on the OD. For that reason, I think it would be better to not change the timing window of a Rainbow depending on OD.
Score formula: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4z6 ... a.png?dl=0

Edit: Here is a better approximation (but this formula might be too long): http://i.imgur.com/rcWR71N.png
NinjaSM

NoSaucierMagic wrote:

Beautiful.
Halogen-

NinjaSM wrote:

NoSaucierMagic wrote:

Beautiful.
hi

i play this game

i'm advocating and have been helping with this score change

so do yourself and everyone else who has had nothing but a negative opinion without explanation a favor: kindly piss off.

as to others who are still helping out and giving suggestions: that's what this needs.
[MY]Idiot
Just sharing my two cents on FL mod, the visual mod I am usually playing with.

Certain people with visual mods ON may find it easier to play, and perform better, why? They are only required to focus a small portion (example: upper half ) of the screen, and process in their brains n' hit the keys accordingly. Notes on the lower half is deemed unnecessary to the players; they may treat anything appears at the lower half as a distraction which may make them lose focus.

However, personally, FL mod makes things harder mostly, only when a song contains lots of SVs. Take these songs for example:
xi - Happy End of the World by Blocko
FamiRockP - Oni Kanojo by Entozer
Risk Junk-G - Candy Galy by Staiain

Recall the portions of these songs which has slowjams.

As player score is judged heavily based on accuracy in this game, heavy SV of a song (especially unpredictable "slowjams", or too many notes to be processed during slowjams) will affect accuracy of a player, this brings the difficulty for the player to get a better score.

For some people, they may think FL is difficult and very impressive....as only minority group of people plays with FL. However, IMO, it is not that hard but it takes time for someone to get oneself familiar with the mod.

It's pretty layman as I am not someone good in describing things, but I hope the community gets my point.
iWhorse

smoogipooo wrote:

1. Make DT adjust to 100%/110%/.../150% with score bonus increments of 0.05x (or something like that).
Please do.
Yuudachi-kun
Can you apply that to HT of 0.8 and 0.9?
Kempie

Khelly wrote:

Can you apply that to HT of 0.8 and 0.9?
This would be amazing. I play a lot of 0.8x-0.9x in stepmania because I usually suck at 180-200 bpm jumpstreams and 150-180 bpm jumpstream maps are harder to find. I definitely miss being able to practice harder songs without going full snail mode with HT @0.75x speed.
Yuudachi-kun
There's lots of fun maps for me that are too easy ht and way too hard nomod; that's why I widh osu mania had those speeds
masdafugh
Are you think LN (lonte noooooooodel) is easy?

And you give 1 combo for 1 ln?

Ok try ENTODZER map like dis
1, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/130464

Dis

2. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/146623

And dia

3. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/138430

I waiting you result score and kombos.

And say ln is easy like nornal notes.
Meseki

masdafugh wrote:

Are you think LN (lonte noooooooodel) is easy?

And you give 1 combo for 1 ln?

Ok try ENTODZER map like dis
1, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/130464

Dis

2. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/146623

And dia

3. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/138430

I waiting you result score and kombos.

And say ln is easy like nornal notes.
Considering that the actual combo number didn't affect score at all in the V1 scoring, LNs are worth more than they used to be, since they have two judgements now.
Yas
I had a multiplayer session with a friend to test out v2 a bit. Wanted to see it in action after hearing complaints. Here's a play we had that stood out to me, and which I thought could make for some good input.
These spoilerboxes will contain an image each.

Sv2 score, first play:

Sv1 score, second play:

On my first impression of these, I thought this was fair, even scores and all for fairly even plays. What with the 200 count being the same.
However, what stands out is the MAX/300 ratio. It's a fair bit higher in the v2 play (thank you LNs), while managing to receive a lower score.

V2: 980/198/5/0/0/0 = 991944 score
V1: 921/210/5/0/0/0 = 991995 score

This is giving me the impression that MAX count impacts score less in v2 than in v1.
What am I missing here? Is this how it's supposed to be?
Redon
Asthmatic Magic

Redon wrote:

Gameplay: [smoogipooo] Increase osu!mania FL ScoreV2 mod multiplier to 1.10x.
Please stop. I thought ten pages of people explaining why this is a bad idea was enough? Just get rid of it, it's nothing but a visual aid.
But he really wants to shoehorn it in, people explaining why its bad just isn't enough.
Halogen-
oi... I was pretty sure that a bunch of people, including those who mained Flashlight... were (rightfully) against a scoreboost... why are we adding it now?
Kempie
Increase osu!mania HR ScoreV2 mod multiplier to 1.20x.
This seems like a really significant change, coming from a multiplier of 1.06x.

Consider an FC on an OD 8 song with a perfect normal distribution and standard deviation of 20ms (i.e. 200 UR). Disregarding combo score, this would give a score 959.3k:
SPOILER
R300: 57.63%
300: 37.75%
200: 4.50%
100: 0.20%
50: 0.00%

Consider the same play, with HR turned on. The score is now reduced to 910.3k before multipliers:
SPOILER
R300: 41.77%
300: 42.10%
200: 15.22%
100: 0.89%
50: 0.20%

With a 1.06x multiplier, the HR score would've been 964944.5k, which is very close to the no-mod score. A 1.2x multiplier would make the score skyrocket to 1,092.4k. A mere 820k HR rank S score, including several 100s and 50s, would dominate a 980k rank SS score.

HR's 1.2x multiplier is so good, you're only better off playing no-mod when HR makes you fail a song or if you're trying to play a song that's way out of your leage. I would suggest keeping it roughly at its original multiplier of 1.06x. Emphasis added to roughly, because I'm sure 1.08x would work out just fine. I just can't be bothered to dig any deeper right now.

On a side note, I'd like to point out how incredibly high the aforementioned HR score is. Assuming a 1000 note song, that's 152 200s and 9 100s. Both the no-mod and HR scores would be even closer to both the 1 million mark and each other, because I ignored the combo aspect of the score. This just goes to show how severely unpunished bad judgements are in ScoreV2. Using a purely accuracy based scoring system similar to Stepmania's MIGS DP, does pretty well in this situation:
SPOILER
MIGS-like scoring system, giving score like this:
R300: 3
300: 2
200: 1
100: -2
50: -4
Miss: -8

No-mod score: 841.6k
HR base score: 740.5k
HR * 1.20x: 888.6k
HR * 1.06x: 784.9k

Because of severe punishment when hitting 100s, 50s and misses, the 1.2x multiplier doesn't seem so bad anymore. If you can't play incredibly accurately, these bad judgements are going to lower your score to the point where you're better off playing with no-mod. That's how I think it should be.
Full Tablet
With the score system I made, HR/EZ get a balanced score by design. In previous posts I have posts I posted some approximate formulas for it, but I think that using a calculation method that is more accurate would better, I wrote some code that can calculate score using double precision floating numbers quite accurately.

The algorithm basically does a maximum likelihood fit of the timing errors in the play, using a normal curve with zero mean, using as input the distribution of the judgments in the play (taking into account their timing windows); the parameter to fit is the standard deviation of the curve (the lower the standard deviation, the more accurate is the play). The timing window of LN releases would be considered be same as of presses, to account for the increased difficulty of releasing accurately (assuming using the current timing windows already balance the difficulty of releases compared to presses)

Then, a penalty is applied based on the amount of judgments in the play, to take into account if the results were just by chance. This is analogous to the case of estimating how loaded a coin is by throwing it 5 times, if you get 5 heads in a row, a safer estimation of the probability of getting a head would be 87.055% (probability when getting at least 5 heads when throwing 5 times happens half of the time) instead of 100% (the probability that makes the result of the throws most likely).

Then, the standard deviation (std) found is mapped to a score value (standard deviation of 0 = 1 million score, standard deviation-> Infinity = 0 score). The exact function used to map standard deviation to score doesn't really matter (as long as it strictly monotonically decreasing), but a good option would be using something in the form of: (A*Erf(a/std) + B*Erf(b/std) + ...)/(A+B+...)*1,000,000, since that way score scales in the same way as a accuracy%/DP/MIGS/Exscore system (while still avoiding the balancing problems those systems have).

Note that since a penalty is applied based on the amount of judgments, getting 1 million score is not possible with a map with a finite amount of notes (you can only get very close, when the amount of notes is high and the timing windows are tight), this might be seen as a problem, but it actually this solves another bigger problem. Without that penalty, getting all rainbows with EZ or No-mod would both give 1 million score, so there would be no reason to ever use HR if you want to maximize your score; with the penalty, using more strict timing windows makes it possible to get closer to 1 million score, giving reason to players to use HR if they can handle it.

Examples of scores (using a standard deviation -> score function that scales similarly to Exscore): Note that those plays were done with Scorev1 mechanics (only 1 judgment per LN), but the idea remains.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/647965 Drop - Granat [5K EZ] (a very short map)
All Rainbows No-Mod: 993,738 score.
All Rainbows EZ Mod : 966,397 score.
All Rainbows HR Mod: 999,830 score.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/552745 Soleily - Renatus [Hard], all plays done by me in the same day: Rainbows/300/200/100/50/Miss
1040/641/145/16/4/7 No-Mod: 650,298 score.
1343/446/52/7/0/5 EZ Mod: 646,645 score.
710/745/316/63/3/16 HR Mod: 657,208 score.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/866194 deadmau5 - Orange File [Emptiness]
235/137/31/1/0/0 No-Mod: 729,438 score.
293/101/10/0/0/0 EZ-Mod: 723,009 score.
170/138/86/9/0/1 HR-Mod: 704,914 score.
All Rainbows No-mod: 999,143 score.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/746951 UNDEAD CORPORATION - The Empress scream off ver [MX]
677/530/162/23/6/30 No-Mod: 519,410 score.
432/564/295/82/8/47 HR Mod: 544,990 score.
930/408/55/14/1/20 EZ-Mod: 501,934 score
All Rainbows No-mod: 999,757 score.
dennischan
I suggest that hitting a 50 should break your combo because the combo bonus is supposed to reward consistency.

Quoting smoogipooo
We want to value the more accurate players (accuracy) whilst applying a small reward for consistency (combo).
Consistency is the ability to hit good judgments continuously, and therefore hitting bad judgments does not show this skill and should not be awarded extra points due to consistency. Other more established rhythm games such as O2Jam also break your combo at a BAD (roughly equivalent to Osu!mania's 50). This implies that breaking combo at 50 is a tried and tested move and is a more sensible scoring system.

Not breaking combo at 50s would undoubtedly cause people to be rewarded by indiscriminate mashing and punish high accuracy players as low accuracy players would have a chance to overtake high accuracy players through combo points awarded by unskilled mashing.
It is very easy to mash any map in the whole game, as shown by drace's play below. (check t/224534&start=0 for more details)

On the contrary, if the combo is broken at 50s, it can ensure that players are rightfully rewarded by their consistency in hitting the right notes at the right time, which was the objective of the game before any changes.

That is why I strongly suggest that combo to break at 50 to preserve the value of combo as a way to sort good players from bad players.
Cuber
In regards to the combo section of what scorev2 currently is, a lot of people have recommended doing a percentage of the max combo, to find the combo cap. I think that instead of having the combo cap linearly related to the max combo, there should be a square root relationship.

I propose: Combo Cap = floor(sqrt(Max Combo) * 10)

This means:
-500 max combo has a 223 combo cap
-1000 max combo has a 316 combo cap
-2000 max combo has a 447 combo cap
-5000 max combo has a 707 combo cap

but then again id rather combo not matter at all so lol.
Kempie

Cuber wrote:

I think that instead of having the combo cap linearly related to the max combo, there should be a square root relationship.
I strongly disagree. Making the combo cap dependent on the max combo is problematic, as it couples the difficulty of getting a high score to the length of a map.

The current proposal has the combo cap fixed at 400, so now the scoring system is only flawed for songs with less than 400 notes. This may not sound like a big deal, but this means it's going to be easier on maps like Drop - Granat to get a higher score. Noodle maps with very little notes yet considerable difficulty also come to mind as songs that will be easier to score on with ScoreV2.

Cuber wrote:

Neither do I. Holding combo shouldn't be awarded, especially in osu!mania where key mashing goes unpunished. Hitting accurately should be rewarded, hitting poorly should be punished and hitting that which does not exist should be punished if not severely discouraged. All of these things can be achieved without involving combo.
Halogen-
Just a tangential point: I legitimately hate it when people use that video of all examples to prove that osu!mania is easy to mash. He's literally smashing 1/2 notes on a song where the spacing between 1/2 notes is larger than the individual timing windows themselves. Of course he's not going to break combo.

The odds of running into a chart like that are far lower than they are running into something that's actually got a legitimate structure/melody.

Cuber wrote:

Neither do I. Holding combo shouldn't be awarded, especially in osu!mania where key mashing goes unpunished. Hitting accurately should be rewarded, hitting poorly should be punished and hitting that which does not exist should be punished if not severely discouraged. All of these things can be achieved without involving combo.
I hope you're extending edge cases of players who ghost tap in between notes to keep a solid rhythm (and not necessarily are mashing to hold combo).
Kempie

Halogen- wrote:

I hope you're extending edge cases of players who ghost tap in between notes to keep a solid rhythm (and not necessarily are mashing to hold combo).
There's no point in punishing for hitting keys when there's nothing to play within 'x' ms, where 'x' is the time in ms when a miss is usually triggered (or something similar). Pressing 5 keys on a 3 note chord is a whole different story, of course.
Halogen-

Drojoke wrote:

Halogen- wrote:

There's no point in punishing for hitting keys when there's nothing to play within 'x' ms, where 'x' is the time in ms when a miss is usually triggered (or something similar). Pressing 5 keys on a 3 note chord is a whole different story, of course.
You're getting closer. You'd want to consider x in a time per lane as well. I see no issue hitting 5 keys on a 3 note chord if that chord is alone and by itself. Likewise, if a song has a high tempo but slow repeated notes, players might feel inclined to fill in a rhythm on the other hand to keep steady (I do this all the time).
Ayaya

???

These are these score multiplier I would do
  1. HD 1.00x
  2. FL 1.05x
  3. FI 1.08x
  4. HR 1.10x
  5. DT adjust to 110%/120%/.../150% with score bonus increments of 0.05x (lowest is 110% with 1.05x multiplier and max is 150% with 1.25x score multiplier)
  6. HT adjust to 75%/80%/.../95% with score bonus increments of 0.10x (lowest being 75% with 0.50x score multiplier and max as 95% with 0.9x multiplier)
I think HD shouldn't give because all it does is cover the bottom half off the screen in which most average/top player already focus on the upper half so this doesn't make much difference and just aids players, also people will always just skin a static HD since it's better anyways. I use to play with HD only for months and even I'm saying this shouldn't give any bonus.

Reason why I think FL should give a slight score multiplier is because it does make vision a bit tighter so note will be lumped up also they would have to use about half their normal nomod scroll speed. It's lower than FI because if you get FI too the max, it's below the middle of the screen (middle being where most average/top players focus on looking while FL is always in the middle). The higher the bpm the harder it can get because of density. I use to play with FL only for months and I think FI is more challenging a bit.

I want to give HR to be 1.10x and not 1.20x is because are you trying to say HR = 140% rate of song?

HR is higher than visual mods is because accurate players should be rewarded more than visual mods since they doesn't even do much (except for FI/FL slightly)

DT max 150% should be 1.25x because it's makes the map way more challenging then playing with HR or a visual mod.

HT increments is different from DT because HT makes maps way too easy. Since it makes the map easier than intended, it should be more lower of course.
DDMythical
show more