1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
  4. osu!mania
show more
posted

LinkTaylord wrote:

How disgusting! ._.

You'll see ''best global players'' will be using HD/FI/FL only.
Goodbye Jackads, Inteliser, Yuko.
Visual mods won't have a multiplier, relax.
posted
.
posted
And people wonder why Osu!Mania is considered a joke ...
posted

denisol wrote:

And people wonder why Osu!Mania is considered a joke ...
I think it's very fun and good mode
posted
try to consider more about mods multipliers.
Many players who come from o2jam or other 7k games maybe good at HD/FL even better than none,I think HD/FL/fl should keep 1x score.
others,DT in mania is a very hard mod,Obviously most players playing DT songs can't get same acc as songs which is none mod in same stars,even can't pass in DT.so DT should be 1.12x imo.
posted
Reply to LinkTaylord and MDLC:
Quote smoogipooo:
Please note that HD/FI/FL mod multipliers have not yet been removed. These are slated to be removed in the next iteration of changes.
posted

Khelly wrote:

I think it's very fun and good mode
There aren't many ways you can fuck up a VSRG at the base, but you can definitely screw up its contents.

What you think is a "good mode" is just really a basic principle that VSRG follows which is a genre of games in itself. What you think of mania isn't a mode; it's a huge category of rhythm games in general. Because of this it can be compared and judged to other games. Based on the standards set by other games, it is a "joke", as in it's not really developed, because it is only a sub-mode here when there is so much competition for similar games that are fully fleshed-out.

However I don't agree with it being an easier game cause standards change base off the difficulty of the game so I feel like that argument is invalid if you don't actually compare it 1:1, even though there would probably be a mob of stepmania/lr2 players who would completely crucify me for saying this. (this goes for pretty much every VSRG)

On top of Osu!mania being a sub-mode that isn't really super relevant in the grand scheme of all things Osu!, it's also shooting itself in the foot by trying to be too innovative and change the format that other VSRG games has set; keep in mind these games are half of what the community in this game is, and what this games is now is based off of just that in terms of the later game, basically making the players who ARE in touch with the community (and players are also trying to reach the late-game) players influenced by certain styles set by other games. Changing this is inherently difficult without creating some sort of backlash unless you have set a style to follow through everything. Unfortunately, if a player wants to pursue that "endgame", they can't really turn to osu!mania itself because it's not really a game with difficult stuff in it; making it a forced link to those other games.

TL;DR

Basically, Osu!Mania is the undeveloped child of keyboard VSRG in general and it's almost too late to change it without displeasing a huge amount of people (rather the players who can put in the input to change the game) because of its community being made up of more developed VSRG games.

Truly, the community (I should say the content mostly, but half of it is regulated by the community) has an internal conflict that isn't going to really resolve itself unless something is ACTUALLY done with this game mode. This is probably why it "suffers" so much.

Edit: went to fix some oddities with how the post was worded but got lazy after a few so sorry if it some of it makes 0 sense in actual script.
posted
I still don't understand your point because all it boiled down to was being underdeveloped without actually explaining in what way it is - I don't see how the core gameplay of a mode like this (Notes come down; hit note) can be less developed. In addition to that, do unranked maps not count when you're trying to say someone is "getting to the endgame" or are there some weird ass "would be 8 star in 4k" maps I haven't seen yet?
posted
I don't think you understand what Lampranthus is trying to explain. He is saying there are many VSRG games out there that has been running way longer then osu!mania (e.g. o2jam, stepmania, flashflashrevolution, lr2 etc) and was developed through loads of trial and errors. These VSRG has already developed certain rules and systems that works really good for the game most people love. Osu!mania been out since Q4 of 2012 but didn't even have mania specific maps back then. Osu!mania does't even have a close to perfect pp system or star rating at all, this is why it's consider undeveloped. But now randomly Osu are trying to change the way most VSRG standards were laid out by changing the score system to focus on combo more and mods.

Khelly wrote:

I still don't understand your point because all it boiled down to was being underdeveloped without actually explaining in what way it is - I don't see how the core gameplay of a mode like this (Notes come down; hit note) can be less developed.
That's just mindless thinking. Lampranthus isn't just talking about core gameplay, you have to take maps, score system, community, and other stuff into consideration.

Khelly wrote:

In addition to that, do unranked maps not count when you're trying to say someone is "getting to the endgame" or are there some weird ass "would be 8 star in 4k" maps I haven't seen yet?
Most of osu!mania "unranked songs" are most just song converted from other VSRG or some really low quality maps. "Endgame" wise, if you look at mania maps that were originally made on osu, than other VSRG would be better for people looking to improve.
posted
If you can have convert maps from any other game, then what difference does it make for you to play it there or here rather than preference for whatever client you'd actually like to use? (Score is not a difference here since it does not affect your gameplay but just your end result) I like the osu client and think a lot of the other games look and feel like complete shit to me so as long as I'm fed with good unranked maps then I'd stay here. (And I "seem" to have hundreds of them still that are far above me)

Personally I still don't like it whenever someone says "Look at what these other Vsrg does and emulate that" because they want osu mania to be exactly or more exactly like the other games they could just play instead. What's the point of different games if you make the games the same? Even though I think combo based for a mania-type game sucks.

You could say I haven't played it too long, but I'd rather speak as someone with a lot of experience in standard who quit that for mania because it's so much more fun rather than someone who started in other vsrg's who came to osu mania, found it bad, and doesn't seem to like it. At least that's the impression I'm getting. If most of the problems you have are in relation to things like score and pp, then that's just the metagame and not as important as actually playing imo - map availibility and the actually vsrg. All these good yolomania maps come in unrankable collections qq
posted

Khelly wrote:

I like the osu client and think a lot of the other games look and feel like complete shit to me
thank you so much
as someone who started playing VSRGs two years ago and tried many different games, those are exactly my thoughts of o2jam/stepmania lmao

i like o2jam very much though
posted

Khelly wrote:

Personally I still don't like it whenever someone says "Look at what these other Vsrg does and emulate that" because they want osu mania to be exactly or more exactly like the other games they could just play instead. What's the point of different games if you make the games the same? Even though I think combo based for a mania-type game sucks.
[/spoiler]
This is basily the mentality of the people who are just here to bash on ScoreV2. They are like:'Oh Stepmania does 'X' much better therefore it is superior'.
=> Well good for you, play stepmania than instead of bashing on o!m. If you only like things that are implemented in that game, and thing o!m is trash becasue it does stuff differently, then you're just being cocky and pretending that you're some 'masterrace' mania player.

Anyways, my question is now: if the combo is going to be capped, with the intend of getting similair scores as the current system(correct me if i am wrong here), then what is the point in changing the system at all then? I mean the current score also uses some kind of accuracy combo which punishes incosistent players even on their 200s, but had a pretty low cap so each punishment isnt that big of a deal.

Scorev2 will punish not as often as before but, the punishment is way harder than scorev1 and will impact all players (especially with high acc scores on hard maps) with the result that people will have to grind maps to hold combos while getting consistenly a good accuracy.

I don't mind having a some sort of combo system but please make sure it wont make getting good scores grinding and kinda luck dependent ( getting good acc+combo), which will kill mania for lots of players.
posted
I also love osu client since it does looks better than most other VSRG.

Khelly wrote:

Personally I still don't like it whenever someone says "Look at what these other Vsrg does and emulate that" because they want osu mania to be exactly or more exactly like the other games they could just play instead. What's the point of different games if you make the games the same? Even though I think combo based for a mania-type game sucks.

Yetified wrote:

This is basily the mentality of the people who are just here to bash on ScoreV2. They are like:'Oh Stepmania does 'X' much better therefore it is superior'.
=> Well good for you, play stepmania than instead of bashing on o!m. If you only like things that are implemented in that game, and thing o!m is trash becasue it does stuff differently, then you're just being cocky and pretending that you're some 'masterrace' mania player.
When people ask for certain feature from other VSRG for osu!mania, it's mainly because it's useful and could help osu!mania improve. Look at fixed scroll speed, that was based off of cmod in Stepmania. But there are people who compare just to bash on osu!mania. I do agree with you that I dislike it when people bash osu!mania as a whole just because it's not 100% like another VSRG
posted
Comparing mania to other VSRG's is a lost cause because it is a subjective matter. Players are going to cause backlash bacause it's aiming to be different than the standards those set. That's all can be stated and is not even a good arguement against scoreV2. I suggest you guys argue against scoreV2 objectively and explain what flaws it has within results and/or calculation.
posted
abraker, here's something I came up with that could plug in to your diffscore[t], with t in my case being an actual timing/score object.

An individual hit difficulty would be based on two components, timing and physical difficulty.

  1. Timing Difficulty:
    TD is a pseudo-reading difficulty calculation that looks at the note that came directly before the current note. If your current note is part of a double/triple/etc. the other notes are ignored and calculated separately. The shorter the time between the two notes, the higher the TD.
    TD only cares about timing points so if there was a double/triple/etc. the TD is not doubled/tripled/etc.
  2. Physical Difficulty:
    PD compares the current note to the previous note on the same column. PD increases as the time between the two notes decreases. PD's purpose is to make a distinction between grace notes and minijacks, for example.


PD and TD would be combined at an appropriate ratio to give a final difficulty score. The ratio can easily be tweaked of course to find the best combination.

You might think that the PD calculation could be replaced with just checking columns on TD and multiplying accordingly, but PD has a few more subtleties which makes it better as a separate component. The following three examples show how the two components can vary:

medium PD, low TD:


medium PD, high TD:


low to high PD, high TD:


As for how PD and TD scale with the time differences, I expect there to be a timing cuttoff where the PD or TD component defaults to just the minimum value. I'm thinking maybe a linear scaling for TD (as this is just reading based), and some form of normal distribution curve for PD.

EDIT: to nerf minijacks maybe PD could use the hit300 timing window in some way to accomodate rushing. IDK though, just a thought.
posted

OppaiDefender wrote:

...
Interesting ideas, but describing how diffScore[t] works would deal more closely with star rating than score, so I am not so sure this is approprate for this thread.
posted

abraker wrote:

Interesting ideas, but describing how diffScore[t] works would deal more closely with star rating than score, so I am not so sure this is approprate for this thread.
Yeah, I'm aware it's sliding into the SR domain a bit, but I believe it can still apply to scoring directly. I'm not sure how SR is calculated currently and grabbing the difficulty at a timing point t might not be accomodated for.
posted

abraker wrote:

Comparing mania to other VSRG's is a lost cause because it is a subjective matter. Players are going to cause backlash bacause it's aiming to be different than the standards those set. That's all can be stated and is not even a good arguement against scoreV2. I suggest you guys argue against scoreV2 objectively and explain what flaws it has within results and/or calculation.
Score v2 = more combo based than score v1, yes?
Combo based = encourages spamming restart on the first miss instead of playing songs through, adds a lot of needless frustration, anguish and stress in a game that is supposed to be fun.
The people who want a combo based system exist most likely because of osu! standard, because they can't fathom the possibility of a game where a miss isn't a play ruiner.

Or perhaps you have people like smoogipooo who just want to make a system that's more entertaining to watch for MWC; to make scores more excitingly different from each other. In that case, why not instead add harder songs in the map pool? Is it because the same people would win consistently every time because they're better instead of randoms winning because they got lucky and didn't combo break that time? Yeah well, unfortunately that's the nature of rhythm games and better players are supposed to win. Maybe stop separating people per country for a change and together with adding harder maps in the pool you might get more exciting matches. But rhythm games just aren't as exciting to watch as other e-sports, and nothing will change that, specifically because skill differences in players are so well defined here, it's much more objective and straightforward.

Sure, I'll admit that a combo based scoring system makes tournament games more exciting to watch, but the trade-off which is making the game much more frustrating to play for the average user isn't worth it.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I'm just trying to give my opinion as constructively as I can. I'm not against anything in score v2 except making it more combo based.
posted

robby250 wrote:

The people who want a combo based system exist most likely because of osu! standard, because they can't fathom the possibility of a game where a miss isn't a play ruiner.
I'm against a combo based system for a mania type game but I feel it's appropriate for standard because I'm capable of separating these two games into categories that have nothing to do with each other.


2016-06-20 14:38 Khelly: Hey rate my combo based scoring idea
2016-06-20 14:38 Lampranthus: yeah
2016-06-20 14:38 Khelly: Combo is worth 100,000/1,000,000 points
2016-06-20 14:38 Khelly: 25% of a map's total combo
2016-06-20 14:38 Khelly: will give you all 100k points
2016-06-20 14:40 Khelly: Is that good or bad
2016-06-20 14:45 Lampranthus: I think it's pretty good
2016-06-20 14:45 Lampranthus: Again, if you back it up with making your game's content able to fit those standard there's nothing you can do really wrong
2016-06-20 14:45 Lampranthus: but speed players will leave, and MA players from Stepmaina and LR2 will flock in
posted
@robby: Combobased scoring doesn't make tournaments more exciting to watch as the winner can already be decided halfway through the map which is lame. Don't give combo any pro-arguments it doesn't have.
show more
Please sign in to reply.