u1 overground - Dopamine
21.82%
Giga - BWW Scream
5.45%
camellia - crystallized
7.27%
nekodex - circles!
7.27%
NOMA - Brain Power (nope not doing this meme)
15.45%
Nanahoshi Kangengakudan - Meikaruza
6.36%
M2U feat. Guriri - Magnolia
7.27%
Other (specify in thread / pm to me)
4.55%
Total votes: 110
Polling ended
show more
Zoe
We needed something like this :D

Let more of Zoe's shit maps into the community.
Hunter Howl
i'll try

can i suggest Evanescence by LeaF?
NachOx
zoe big fan

i want to learn mapping
MBomb
I can be a judge.
CelegaS
Lets break the SR with easy map
autofanboy

Ascendance wrote:

sorry mania i stole your formatting

osu!catch super gimmick mapping contest

Introduction / Rules

Have you ever wanted to map something or seen maps bend the rules to the utmost to where the most creative minds of CTB could be displayed? Today, I'll be announcing the arena where the top talents of CTB mapping will battle it out to create the ultimate map. A map which has nothing to hold it back from being everything it can be. If you're a fan of crazy maps like jujutsushi, brynhildr, or any other maps that masterfully break the rules, then this will be a sight to behold. We don't have as many methods as the other modes to do something as gimmicky as they can, but let's see how this goes :^)

The rules are simple.
Submission Rules
  1. You will have only a month to map the song which is handed out. You can ONLY use this song and ONLY the .osz which is given to you by this contest.
  2. You're only allowed to submit the .osz with the background provided by the staff. This is to prevent judges from identifying you by your love live background. kek
  3. The map can only be a Catch the Beat osu!catch difficulty. This means that the map can NOT be a standard convert. im grammar nazi, use an
  4. The map must be passable. Any map that creates a scenario which instantly fails the user or crashes the game client will be instantly disqualified.
  5. Nothing NSFW can be used at all.
  6. The difficulty MUST be named [osu!catch > CTB] and can NOT be submitted until after the competition is complete.
Judging Rules
  1. Only the gameplay can be taken into account. Something with a god tier storyboard but only 1 circle should NOT be acceptable.
  2. You are not allowed to submit anything of your own as a judge, or collaborate with any participant of this competition in ANY way.
  3. Your judgement must be fair in a way that does not prioritize maps of a certain style over others. This is a contest of creativity, not a contest of who can appeal to your BN ranking criteria the most (nub afb). thanks
Beyond these rules anything goes. You can edit the .osu in any way you want past what is not allowed above. Be sure your map is submitted in .osz form to whoever is selected to pass the difficulties to judges.

Judging Criteria

1. Creativity (25 points) - Is the map creative? Does it use the same patterns over and over again?
  2. Flow / Structure (15 points) - Does the map have some kind of structure to it? Is it just a constant back and forth 1/16 hyperspam map with no flow or direction?
  3. Technical Skill (10 points) - does the mapper utilize a style that makes the map not only creative, but challenging and fun to play?
  4. Judge's Impression (10 points) - The judge's own feeling about the map itself outside of the above criteria
  5. Bonus points (5 points) - was it hitsounded in a way that amplified the map (2 points)? Did the mapper follow the basic submission rules (please guys 1 point)? Did the difficulty settings make sense? Or were they all raised to AR10 CS7 because the mapper is a douche (2 points)?
  6. Total Points: 65
The points will be added up for a total of the combined judges scores to get your final score.

Prizes

To be announced. I'll be looking for official sponsorship from staff about this competition, but anyone who wants to donate supporter to this will have my thanks!

Schedule

1. Current Stage! Preliminary Voting Stage: June 12 - June 25
  2. .osz distribution (in this thread!): June 26
  3. Mapping Phase: June 26 - July 24
  4. Judging Phase / Prize Distribution: July 24 - July 31

Staff

If you'd like to be a judge, please contact me directly. Please note I will likely reject anyone who I do not find to be experienced / mature enough to handle it.

Organizer:

Ascendance

Judges:

Thanks to everyone, let's see how this goes <: Be sure to vote for 2 songs plz or else im gonna die
!roll judge or participate
Deif

alienflybot wrote:

!roll judge or participate
CelegaS
I suggest:
Expander - Diagram
DJ'TEKINA//SOMETHING - Internet Bitch P*Light Remix
:D
Dianthus
Seems like a really fun idea. x)

Ascendance wrote:

1. The difficulty MUST be named [osu!catch > CTB] and can NOT be submitted until after the competition is complete.
But when is the competition complete? Also, are the mappers supposed to send the file to someone, or just upload and then send the link?
Riari

Hedgeturtle wrote:

Seems like a really fun idea. x)

Ascendance wrote:

1. The difficulty MUST be named [osu!catch > CTB] and can NOT be submitted until after the competition is complete.
But when is the competition complete? Also, are the mappers supposed to send the file to someone, or just upload and then send the link?
Schedule

Current Stage! Preliminary Voting Stage: June 12 - June 25
.osz distribution (in this thread!): June 26
Mapping Phase: June 26 - July 24
Judging Phase / Prize Distribution: July 24 - July 31

Song hasn't been chosen yet.
Dianthus

Riari wrote:

Schedule

Current Stage! Preliminary Voting Stage: June 12 - June 25
.osz distribution (in this thread!): June 26
Mapping Phase: June 26 - July 24
Judging Phase / Prize Distribution: July 24 - July 31

Song hasn't been chosen yet.
Well, that schedule doesn't explain it, since (in my eyes) the competition is complete once the winner has been declared. But that's just me I suppose.

Anyway, I also thought that Memme - Avalanche could be an interesting song.
Kibbleru
ill be a judge :^)
Constantine
autofanboy
I would vote for the followings:

Bunnrei
miiro

any dubstep song should be gud
Hunter Howl
so this contest will be started with you and MB?
ExGon
:)
Topic Starter
Ascendance
Hi everyone! The .osz for download is available here: http://puu.sh/pHIqw/db8a60627d.osz

As you've suggested, the song picked for this competition was Dopamine.
When you've finished COMPLETELY with your difficulty, you can send the .osz to Ascendance via forum pm with the title "CtB Aspire Submission". At the end of the time frame, I'll anonymize the submissions so the judges don't know who mapped what.

Good luck to everyone participating!!

Edit: Be sure to change the creator to your name!!

To clarify: You only need to map one difficulty. A full spread isn't needed and won't deduct points.
JBHyperion
I was hoping for Dopamine so I guess I'll be mapping instead of judging c:

Good luck everyone, can't wait to see what people can come up with!
Halogen-
I'm pretty hype to see Dopamine as the pick for this contest, haha.

As someone who aspires (HARHARHHRAHRHWUDHEIOSRIDFOGIOZFG) to be a mapper for all four modes in the distant future, this could be a really great learning experience to step outside of my just-mania bubble; this is not to say I've not dabbled in Taiko/standard, but CTB is the mode that feels the most foreign to me.

I'm seeing some patterns in my head to certain parts of this song just purely off of memory, so hopefully that means I'll get somewhere with it. Cheers to hoping I do at least a respectable job - and good luck to everyone else. \o
Mindwaves
why are the kiai time already placed???

this kind of defeat the creativity thing...
Topic Starter
Ascendance

Mindwaves wrote:

why are the kiai time already placed???

this kind of defeat the creativity thing...
You can remove them lol
like I said, the in-game stuff can be edited however you want
CelegaS
Why "Other (specify in thread / pm to me)" option if you just took the one with the most vote?
Topic Starter
Ascendance

CelegaS wrote:

Why "Other (specify in thread / pm to me)" option if you just took the one with the most vote?
There wasn't a large reaction on some songs, and I ended up getting worried to pick something that the majority clearly didn't vote for.. I'll be using the song selections for the next contest though, for sure
Seph
damn if i wasnt busy at school i would've joined this

you know, shitmapping is my thing
Halogen-
The link on the top of the OP for the .osz links to the thread and not the .osz download - might want to fix that!
Riari

Halogen- wrote:

The link on the top of the OP for the .osz links to the thread and not the .osz download - might want to fix that!

The OSZ is in the post it points towards.
Halogen-
Oh, got it - my mistake then. Disregard me. \o
Rocma
where should I send
Topic Starter
Ascendance

_Asriel wrote:

where should I send
pm to me :P

Ascendance wrote:

When you've finished COMPLETELY with your difficulty, you can send the .osz to Ascendance via forum pm with the title "CtB Aspire Submission".
Kimitakari
Oh boy I hate mapping this song but ill give a try
Topic Starter
Ascendance
Just a reminder that the last day for submission is this Sunday! If we don't have enough submissions, I'll extend it by 1 week at maximum.
HappyRocket88
How many are enough?
Topic Starter
Ascendance

HappyRocket88 wrote:

How many are enough?
5-6 would be preferred :D
Topic Starter
Ascendance
Hi. I'll be extending the time limit to Sunday, July 31 (Next sunday) to give people some extra time to finish up their submissions. This will be the ONLY extension to the time I make, so use it wisely. Good luck!
Hunter Howl

Ascendance wrote:

Hi. I'll be extending the time limit to Sunday, July 31 (Next sunday) to give people some extra time to finish up their submissions. This will be the ONLY extension to the time I make, so use it wisely. Good luck!
so it's extended. but i still doesn't feel like mapping dopamine :/

anyway, shouldn't you edit the first post about schedule that you extended the mapping phase? just sayin'
autofanboy
submit and get top 3
Spectator
can I replace the bg
Topic Starter
Ascendance

Spectator wrote:

can I replace the bg
I'll change it to the current one when you submit to us, but when you submit after judging is over, you can use your own!
ExGon
i'm still mapping map, blame myself >:(
show more