forum

Resizable In-game Chat for Spectators(and just in general)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +21
Topic Starter
Valco
One thing that has always bothered me in game is that while I'm spectating a player, but want to remain active in chat, the chatbox covers basically half of the play area. I'd love it if the chatbox could be resized (vertically only would be just fine) so that you could still actively use the chatbox but have fewer lines of chat visible and maintain a better view of the player. This would be particularly useful in the Mania and CTB gamemodes, in my opinion, as the main focus of gameplay is at the bottom of the screen in those gamemodes.

What it currently looks like:

The idea in my head (just a crude representation, not really that well done, but it gets the idea across):

I'm not sure if this is a realistic idea, but I feel like it would take nothing away from the game and make spectating a more enjoyable experience. It could be implemented as a drag to resize interface or as a menu option in the settings menu, but either way, this is a feature I'd like to see in the game.
Flanster
p/3496998
related? its about stretching the chat to fullscreen
Topic Starter
Valco

Flanster wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/3496998
I wouldn't say so, as my idea is focused on making chat more compact, not larger. I'd like more of the gameplay area to be visible while still being able to speak in chat.
Flanster

Qwan wrote:

Flanster wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/3496998
I wouldn't say so, as my idea is focused on making chat more compact, not larger. I'd like more of the gameplay area to be visible while still being able to speak in chat.
I mean related as in resizing the chat in general.
Topic Starter
Valco
I agree with that statement, but I feel like our problems are different and unique. He's thinking of something like a fullscreen interface that allows you to see multiple channels at once. I'm thinking of something more along the lines of just being able to drag how tall chat is to make it more compact.

I'm not exactly sure what draws the line between an extension of a request and a new one, but I feel like our two requests are different and should be treated as such.
Flanster
Either way, implementing a resize feature will kill two birds with one stone iykwim
Axon
I like this idea, It kinda has bugged me whenever I spectate someone but then chat is covering like 30% of the play area.

Support!
[k9]