forum

Languages

posted
Total Posts

How many languages do you speak fluently?

17.92%
48.90%
22.80%
4≤
10.38%
Total votes: 636
show more
Professor Prinny
English and Tagalog.
Doodle99
I speak Spanish and English ;u;
Yasen Baka
I am only truly fluent at English. Cantonese is my native language, but I can barely speak much with it, and I can't even read or write Chinese characters to even consider myself fluent.
walao
Well I speak English fluently, then also Cantonese fluently cause my parents are Chinese and they make me speak in it at home. I speak some Mandarin, some Japanese and Korean (Just cuz), Spanish for school (3rd - 7th grades) and gonna learn Latin for 8th grade
Knarf
Cantonese and English. I can't even speak Putonghua well.
kouzuki_karen
cantonese, english and mandarin
La Volpe
French is my native language, i can speak english fluently. Also i can speak a little of german and spanish, i'm still learning those.
Navizel
English, Filipino, and bits of Indonesian and Japanese.
NewKaery
russian, ukrainian and english
E14
Tagalog, English, also fluent in Japanese, a bit of Spanish ( some tagalog words came from Spanish)

i wanna learn a bit of Bahasa and Russian (if i have a chance)

Edit: if anyone speaking tagalog, you know the word how to swear. ;)
Barricade
French and English.
Also I'm learning Spanish and Japanese :3
Skriggniichan
English only. Because 'murica.
Pro1337Elite
Lewder
Understanding != Fluency
Boomkin_old_1
english + gaelic and learning japanese
Birdy
Editing my list from about a year ago:

Static Noise Bird wrote:

Already known
  1. Finnish, native language.
  2. English, I think it's rather good for a 17 years old Finnish person.
  3. Swedish, just because we have to study it here in Finland. Not too good at speaking, but I still understand a lot of it.
  4. Chinese, basics and a little more.
Currently studying
  1. French - although already better at it than I ever was at Chinese, still studying it - didn't drop this after 3 courses 8-)
Will study
  1. Russian
Might study
  1. Korean
Lewder

Static Noise Bird wrote:

Swedish, just because we have to study it here in Finland. Not too good at speaking, but I still understand a lot of it.
B)
mnh48

MuhdNurHidayat wrote:

I can speak 3 languages like a boss.. Malay (Malay - native), Chinese (Malaysian Mandarin - learnt since kindergarten) and English (English - learnt since primary school)
Now, I want to seriously learn Japanese, I didn't attend formal Japanese language learning classes yet.. :o
Adds:
- Indonesian

So, currently I can speak 4 languages:
- Malay (native)
- Mandarin Chinese //Malaysian-Singaporean variant of Mandarin (near-native)
- English (learnt since primary school)
- Indonesian (learnt since last year, because many of online friends are Indonesians nowadays)

Still learning:
- Japanese (since few years ago, still didn't attend real classes but trying to learn online, classes are expensive)

Planned to learn:
- Tagalog (because Filipin's TV series is broadcasted everyday here and I don't want to really depends on the Malay subtitle)
- Cantonese Chinese (because some of my friends doesn't understand Mandarin, I can understand Cantonese but don't know to speak it yet)
Bara-
Nice Bump
Shouldn't this actually be in "Surveys"?
As for the answer, I went for 3. In all those languages I'm able to hold a proper conversation
Dutch
English
German

However, I want to learn both Spanish and Japanese, cause both languages are awesome <3
_HiguchiKaede
Mainly Bahasa Indonesia since its my native language. Speak English when needed/talking to some of my friends, and (a little) Javanese when talking to my big family :p
Somehow I want to improve my local dialect (Javanese) to make me easier talking/understanding what local people are saying 8-)
Midori Tea

Metroid wrote:

English and I'm in my third year of Spanish in school....

Otherwise I'm sadly monolingual... D:

Yo hablo Inglés y español un poco...

I probably couldn't converse anything in Spanish except something very basic.... And I can only translate a few things from Spanish to English when I see billboards and instructions in Spanish in Philadelphia and on manuals...
This, except I live in a different state.
Ender Lain
Colud speak 3 Languages:
- Bahasa Indonesia
- English
- Japanese
Axiaan
- French (native language)
- English (even it's not fluently, I can easily speak in english)

I learned German in school, but I'm not very good at it for the moment. (stupid German grammar)
I try to learn Japanese, but it's a little bit difficult for the moment. xD
I'm interessted about language, so I know some words (around 50-60) in Chinese, Italian, Spanish, Russian.. but I don't speak theses languages at all. Just know words.

If you have advices to learn a language quickly, I accept them hehe.
LigerZero
  1. Indonesia
  2. Sundanese
  3. English
Haruto
  1. Indonesia(Native)
  2. English
  3. Javanese(still learning)
-Atri-
Cantonese, English, and some Japanese?

I could read hiragana and pronounce it, (i can read some kanji since I am Chinese, and some "English") but the grammar and kanji pronunciation is too difficult (translating hiragana to english is hard...)
Mercurial
Spanish (Natve)
English (still learning, though).

I want to learn German, Italian and Russian language. Maybe chinese, idk yet.
joi-
Finnish and English.
Yuudachi-kun

KuranteMelodii wrote:

I could read hiragana and pronounce it, (i can read some kanji since I am Chinese, and some "English") but the grammar and kanji pronunciation is too difficult (translating hiragana to english is hard...)
But hiragana to english is just transliteration which is not hard at all?
Weavoid
The only language I'm fluent in is English. I dropped French in high school when I was picking my GCSEs because it bored the heck out of me. But I did take up Japanese, which I've been learning (slowly) for 9 months. I'm definitely not fluent though, no way.
abraker
English and Russian
LigerZero
Indonesian
English
Sundanese
There_old_1
I can speak fluently: 1. German 2. Turkish and English
rogueshadow12
English + Native Language and its derivative(s) (Filipino-Tagalog-Ilocano) :D
kirueggy

rogueshadow12 wrote:

English + Native Language and its derivative(s) (Filipino-Tagalog-Ilocano) :D
hello there ading

OT: English, Spanglish, Tagalog, Korean (albeit I suck ass at it lol)
Ameth Rianno
B. Indonesia (my native), Sundanesse (my almost native), English (my self talk native ok), Javanesse (i know little things but not my normal language).
mnh48

Khelly wrote:

KuranteMelodii wrote:

But hiragana to english is just transliteration which is not hard at all?
That's Katakana. Katakana is used for loanwords, slang etc. Hiragana is used only for real Japanese words. Kanji is in higher level than hiragana and it can be anything (I did read Kanji which provided loanwords furigana as the reading to the right of it in Japanese manga).

Update:
1. Malaysian (still, as it's my mother tongue)
2. Mandarin (still, because I speak and use it since kindergarten)
3. English (still, well I'm using English to write this)
4. Japanese (I think it's safe to include this now, I can speak it albeit not very fluent)

Next language that I want to learn:
- Cantonese (some of my friends doesn't really understand Mandarin because they are native in Cantonese and we end up speaking Malaysian, which they are not fluent in)
- Indonesian (neighbouring language, trust me most of Malaysians doesn't really understand Indonesian, we're depending on the Malaysian subtitles when watching Indonesian dramas)
HaruryuuSan
i know five o:
1. english lulz
2. hindi
3. malayalam
4. tamil
5. german
Eymi
Just 3 :
-French
-English
-Spanish
Seiga
English is my first language and I started learning German recently. Though I did learn a bit of Japanese in school.
show more