How do you keep your nerves under control?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BeefaloKing
Whenever I get a good run going I shake my pen uncontrollably and my accuracy drops tremendously, especially on streams. It doesn't matter how many times I FC the first half of the song if I can't hit a single stream afterwards.
StephOsu
there's not a whole lot we can do about that
play more
get used to good runs
or try to calm down by not caring
chainpullz

Seouless wrote:

Me: You're a consistency god... Why are you so good at comboing?
Axarious: idk
Me: How do you combo when you're nervous?
Axarious: Even if you're nervous, just combo anyways.
vinnicci
I pause and breathe during breaks and sometimes I'm on trance mode where I feel like daydreaming and didn't notice I finished the song.
Endaris
Just keep going and break 10 notes before the end instead of at the halfwaypoint. That's how I deal with these things at least.
Sayorie
By playing more. Once you improve, the hard parts become easier to deal with. Also, consistency. Don't press retry. (c) Rohulk
Xyrus

StephOsu wrote:

try to calm down by not caring
If you can choose not to care, consistency becomes easy.
Foxtrot
I'll just keep playing until I commit a mistake. Usually right after one, my hand immediately feels much, much better.
Endaris

Xyrus wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

try to calm down by not caring
Or hard because your carelessness gets so big that you randomly miss circles.

/edit: terrible typo
Xyrus

Endaris wrote:

Xyrus wrote:

Or hard because you're carelessness gets so big that you randomly miss circles.
I mean stop caring about your combo. I agree, you should care about the circles you're playing at that moment, not how many you've done in total.

1st and 2nd time I played Shiranai Monogatari, I didn't even reach 500 combo, so I played it 1 last time without caring about my combo. About 1/2 way through, I figured "welp, this is an improvement, probably not gonna FC it though" and kept playing. Kept waiting for the shitmiss...it never happened.

Caring about combos makes you play carelessly, choosing not to care about combos helps you play better.
StephOsu

Endaris wrote:

/edit: terrible typo
too late Xyrus quoted it already time to live on with the fear of grammar nazi attacking :>

Xyrus wrote:

I mean stop caring about your combo. I agree, you should care about the circles you're playing at that moment, not how many you've done in total.

1st and 2nd time I played Shiranai Monogatari, I didn't even reach 500 combo, so I played it 1 last time without caring about my combo. About 1/2 way through, I figured "welp, this is an improvement, probably not gonna FC it though" and kept playing. Kept waiting for the shitmiss...it never happened.

Caring about combos makes you play carelessly, choosing not to care about combos helps you play better.
What Endaris said actually happened to me frequently, despite having totally same mindset as what happened to your shiranai monogatari play
Usually I go like "seems like a good run. Shitmiss is probably happening soon" and it instantly happens after that
In the meantime most of my good FCs came from playing in a trance state where my brain goes autopilot on aiming and tapping while my conscious enjoys the song.
Endaris
Yea, i edited my sentence from "you're careless enough" to "you're carelessness" and forgot to adjust the youre >.>
/me lives in fear of grammar nazis now
placeholder
knowing i'm bad at this game

if i do play something well that just means the map is pretty easy
Xyrus

StephOsu wrote:

In the meantime most of my good FCs came from playing in a trance state where my brain goes autopilot on aiming and tapping while my conscious enjoys the song.
If only I could keep this state up to the end of the map...

"wait, wut?! wut's going on here?! I'm FCing?! *instant shitmiss*" :o:?:x:lol::cry:

...every time... :(
StephOsu

Xyrus wrote:

If only I could keep this state up to the end of the map...

"wait, wut?! wut's going on here?! I'm FCing?! *instant shitmiss*" :o:?:x:lol::cry:

...every time... :(
sounds like me unless I totally space out
chainpullz

StephOsu

chainpullz wrote:

spare me half of your consistency and i will be a happy NEET
Raiguard
I really struggle with this. In fact, it's even worse for me because I have genetic stress-induced anxiety. The thing that helps me the most is to try and focus on every note. For one, it improves your accuracy, and it keeps you from focusing on the overall beatmap. I will also say to myself "this play doesn't matter" a lot, which helps me stay relaxed.
Topic Starter
BeefaloKing

hypercom wrote:

I pause and breathe during breaks and sometimes I'm on trance mode where I feel like daydreaming and didn't notice I finished the song.
I feel pausing just makes the inevitable miss just that much more devastating. I find being completely mindless and just clicking along to be the only way I can get high combo's, but the second I realize I haven't missed the only thing on my mind is the combo, especially when I don't miss somewhere I've missed a lot in the past.
Pituophis
Try playing with the in-game interface turned off.
I'm more likely to FC when I don't realize I'm FCing.
show more