forum

senya - Renbei no Searchlight

posted
Total Posts
show more
Lanturn
Normal plays more like what we describe an Advanced than anything imo. Probably could be renamed as one, and then Easy as Normal (A light normal, but would still pass for one). I do agree with Bakari though. I still think there is a bit of a gap between the Easy/Normal. Doing what Bakari suggested though would definitely help.

I'll take a peek afterwards again if you apply Bakari's mods.
wring

Bakari wrote:

I have a few things to mention, as I believe they could improve the map a lot.

[Normal]
  1. The excessive amount of overlaps makes the difficulty way too hard for a Normal, there is no way for the players to comfortably read a difficulty when 90% of it are overlapped patterns.
    To make things more clear, let's add a few examples:
    1. 02:31:878 (1,2,3,4) - stacks like these in the middle of 1/2 patterns give little time for the players to read them properly and are generally hard to read due to the excessive amount of overlaps that confuse the eye and make stacks a lot harder to notice and understand. There are more patterns where staacks become a serious issue in the end of 1/2 chains, like 01:09:996 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) - 01:57:996 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,1,2,3)
    2. 02:12:113 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,1) - this pattern itself feels too heavy for a difficulty labled as Normal. Stacks combined with dynamic flow and everything is supposed to be read really quickly, as there are no 1/1 gaps for players to read things properly.
    3. 00:30:290 (4) - a lot of players use skins with the empty slidertail, so they can easily misread the tail for another circle. Try to use less agressive angles, as this one was practically the only slider curved in such way.
    I'm trying to explain that you need to either increase the spacing and reduce the amount of 1/2s, so that things are properly readable and the spread is unharmed, or you can just get rid of some 1/2s to make chains shorter and re-arrange your patterns to make things more readable. Either way should be fine, though increasing spacing should also help to make things look neater, so I would go for it.
Let me say, I intended to make a bit difficult Normal because Satellite asked me to make that one for settling between Easy and Hard gaps. This is the answer for your first and second examples. And 02:31:878 (1,2,3,4) - I already had fixed these easily patterns after getting mods. We have an Easy diff for this mapset so these flow and stacks are OK. Third point you mentioned is nonsense.
We needed sd around 2.5 normal so I decide to make harder with another way. I discussed this Normal flow and stacks with Satellite, he said it's no problem.

Lanturn wrote:

Normal plays more like what we describe an Advanced than anything imo. Probably could be renamed as one, and then Easy as Normal (A light normal, but would still pass for one). I do agree with Bakari though. I still think there is a bit of a gap between the Easy/Normal. Doing what Bakari suggested though would definitely help.

I'll take a peek afterwards again if you apply Bakari's mods.
This is 170bpm mapset. I solved normal-hard-easy gaps. Satellite also thinks this is "Normal". No problem I guess.
Topic Starter
Satellite
Lanturn
If you're saying that it's balanced, then look at the Easy again. The Easy is mostly all 1/1 and has a rare 1/2 in it. However the normal is almost all 1/2 with some 1/1 gaps. Easy above, Normal below. This is what Bakari was trying to explain.

Generally a Normal at 170+ bpm wouldn't use 1/2 gaps in this manner. As Bakari gave examples, there are many patterns in the set where you play 1/2 notes for long lengths at a time. 01:09:996 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) - as an example. Normal would have more 1/1 gaps present. A lot of the 1/2 rhythm and the amount played without these gaps is comparable to most hard difficulties, hence why I suggested this as an Advanced. It doesn't have 1/4 notes, or jumps, but it is extremely dense.
riffy
I think you misunderstood the point. A huge part of the problem is the way 1/2 patterns overlap, as it becomes a lot harder to read and navigate from pattern to pattern, creating a huge artificial increase in difficulty, that brings us to the point when the Normal can no longer be considered as a Normal. it gets something a lot harder, instead. (And this is exactly why the spread doesn't work the way Satellite intended it to, by the way)

You haven't said a word about the fact that practically 90% percent of the difficulty are overlapped patterns.

Also, I would ask you to provide more explainatory response rather than calling something nonsense. Have you actually tested it? Have you asked people to look throgh the set? What made you think that the pattern is okay?
Topic Starter
Satellite
I checked all the mods and there is no problem. ty ~
riffy
The thing is that we provided explanations and examples to make sure our ideas are understood properly, and if you disagree with us, we would like to explain why. Can you, please, provide a well-explained reply, so we could agree with you or work out a solution?

Thanks.
Topic Starter
Satellite
constructed based on a rule. Do you need an explanation?

Thanks! ;)
riffy
I'm sorry, what rule?

We are talking about the overall quality of the difficulty and the way it lowers playability. The difficulty spread thing you are referring to is absolutely irrelevant here.
Topic Starter
Satellite
There is nothing wrong with it about quality.

For diff spread, we make it hard intentionally.

If you say a problem about overlap, It is your opinion, and we do not agree.

This concludes my explanation.
riffy
Let me get things straight: are you sure you understand what we are so concerned about?

Satellite wrote:

There is nothing wrong with it about quality. that is is your opinion, and there are at least two people who do not share the same point of view

If you say a problem about overlap, It is your opinion, and we do not agree. the problem is in the way overlaps influence difficulty and playability, and this is not an opinion, this is a concern that is based on reasons and provided with examples. If you disagree with that, I would like to explain what makes you think the overlaps work for the difficulty.
You've never provide a single point to justify the spacing used in Normal. You keep referring to the same difficulty spread rule, that does not really explain anything. Just because it is something that does not go against the RC directly, it does not mean that it can be ranked withouth further considertaion and improving.

After all, we do not want a disqualification for the sole purpose of getting one, we all are interested in just one thing: quality. And this is exact;y why we have started the discussion on the first place.
Topic Starter
Satellite

Bakari wrote:

Satellite wrote:

There is nothing wrong with it about quality. that is is your opinion, and there are at least two people who do not share the same point of view

If you say a problem about overlap, It is your opinion, and we do not agree. the problem is in the way overlaps influence difficulty and playability, and this is not an opinion, this is a concern that is based on reasons and provided with examples. If you disagree with that, I would like to explain what makes you think the overlaps work for the difficulty.
Is it a game?? gather people with the same opinion :<

an opinion is just an opinion. that was not forced.
IamKwaN
The source should be fixed, the official has used a new name for the game, i.e. 艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- or Kantai Collection -Kancolle-. Names of the anime and game no longer differ.

For Normal, I will have a look tomorrow. Anyways, the map has to be pulled down.
Topic Starter
Satellite

Did you encounter damage of the account hack? LOL
Eni
If this does get removed from the nomination queue to improve its quality, I'd like to point out a small inconsistency:

[wring's Normal]
01:35:408 (4) - Should have an NC for consistency since all of the other diffs do it.
03:38:231 (4) - as well

I don't see the point in not having a NC since the follow arrows don't fit during these parts of the song.

Is there any reason why the full mp3 isn't mapped?

no kd
IamKwaN
Please, things can change. The post by me you linked was written over a year ago. Well, let me explain and make things clear again.

Clearly, the official has an update on the name of their game. I do not find any justifications not to follow.
Therefore, please replace the Source with either 艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- or Kantai Collection -Kancolle-.

For Bakari's suggestions on Normal, I agree up to a point.

1. 01:09:996 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) - The length of these 1/2 clusters is very stunning, it does not even approach the kiai. Unlike Hard and Advanced, a Normal under this BPM should not require players to tab non-stop. Nerfing is really necessary before moving this set forward again.
  2. 01:16:349 (2,3,4) - This kind of stacks is very challenging and should not appear in such a difficulty. Musical backup is very weak too in this case. 01:15:643 (1) - follows vocal, why not 01:16:349 - too? They are structurally parallel, unlike 01:17:055 - . I mean: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5763959
  3. Provided the amount of jumps in Hard in the kiai, We can treat notes in the kiai a bit lenient on the density, I suppose.
  4. 02:12:113 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6) - 02:17:761 (1,2,3,4) - Why do these stanzas differ a lot on the rhythm and density? They sound as intense as each other.
  5. 02:26:937 (2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) - This is really unacceptable as a Normal. Even though the music provides such feedback, you have to sacrifice as you are mapping a Normal. Easy is simply using mostly 1/1 sliders and few circles. The gap is too huge and nerfing must be done.
Judging from the gameplay elements, the current spread looks like this:
E <<<<<<<<< N <<< H
Indeed the set does not violate any rules, but the whole difficulty is beyond a common standard of a Normal. It is too hard and challenging, which is not suitable for players on such level. So, changing Normal to Advanced and adding a real Normal may be the last resort other than nerfing Normal on a large scale.

Also, that's not an attitude a BN or even anyone in this game should have. Try to gather more people's opinion and thoughts before refuting. If you really do not agree, instead of throwing rules around, please provide convincing reasons about why you disagree things. Opposing for the sake of opposition to avoid a disqualification is not what we want to have in this community.
Monstrata
Regarding the source, I think even if the game updates its name, it's okay to keep the old source if that was the source when this song was released. If this song was released after Kantai Collection's official name change, then I think source should be changed. But I believe this song was released with the original (and current) source.

For example, when considering rhythm game songs that are featured in different games, we always use the first instance where the song is officially featured, even if it may not be where the song became the most popular. Say, the song was first released in jubeat, but became popular in reflec beat, we'd still use jubeat as source. I think we can apply that here, where we use the first instance that the song is officially featured as the source. Of course, it's debatable, and KwaN's proposal makes sense too. I just want to bring this up for discussion before we decide to change sources.

Regarding the spread, I agree that Normal is a bit dense, but I think, considering the jumps and triplets used in Hard, the spread even's out a bit. I worry that trimming down too much of the Normal will create a difficulty gap with Hard, not so much because of a rhythm disparity, but because Hard also introduces a lot of jumps while Normal still respects uniform DS. The current spread is pushing it a bit, (minimal trimming would improve it) but I think it's still acceptable.

My opinions anyways. Good luck on the requal Satellite!
wring
It has nothing to do with this instance, but let me say
why always me
alacat
Lock topic by Satellite's request
IamKwaN
I am afraid the example you mentioned is a totally different case. You are talking about a song appearing in several arcade games, where you prefer the earliest game the song appears. However, the song we are discussing is originated from only one and only one game, 艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-. Not like your example replicate the case correctly here. What I mean is, the old name is no longer official. Therefore, I would still recommend updating it.