forum

Help on improving accuracy,

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hiro-Senpai

SirLiony wrote:

I can complete normal maps with DT and HR with 90-99% .
Where these scores come from may i ask. Bcuz i see no 99% there. The only 99% u got was easy with dt
AsyouSaidsir

SirLiony wrote:

The problem is just I can't tap accurately.
Make sure you're not button mashing, keep up with the BPM, and don't press the buttons too early (or too late), listen to the rhythm of the song, and tap to it.
I am probably stating the obvious, but that's all I can think of to say on this matter.

SirLiony wrote:

I can't get 99% in normals unless I do DT, and even so I will not get 99% but at least an S which is slightly a waste of time because the beats are really obvious so I avoid normal.
If you can't get a good acc a normal song and you're rushing to insane difficulties then you're (probably) doing something wrong. I am not telling you to stop playing hard/insane, I am telling you to not skip the normal difficulties completely.

SirLiony wrote:

I am really comfortable with hards and asking me to play normal is kind off a joke because it is just WAY too slow. I will try playing more hards and get better accuracy there.
Playing non-DT normal diffs at your rank may help you get used to low BPMs, otherwise you may end up being a DT play who can't stream anything below 200BPM.

Just as _StormEx_ said, it's up to you whether or not you want to listen to what I said, everyone improves differently. ;)
Topic Starter
SirLiony

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

SirLiony wrote:

I can complete normal maps with DT and HR with 90-99% .
Where these scores come from may i ask. Bcuz i see no 99% there. The only 99% u got was easy with dt
Holy shit I just mistypes one word and you already have to question my existance
Hibiya-chan

SirLiony wrote:

_StormEx_ wrote:

^^^ Basically this.

And also start practicing with the HD mod to improve map reading and not to depend on approach circles very much since I'm guessing the approach circles are distracting/confusing you (well, that's my case at first anyway). This is just my opinion tho.
Oh I've completely forgotten about HD. Thanks for reminding me that. I will try that out and speaking of HD, I am TERRIBLE with this mod. Like a map where i get 96% with HR but when I do it witg HD, well an easy 70% with LOTS of combo breaks
Ok, I think I'm seeing the problem now (besides the one you stated).

Endaris wrote:

play more™

Important notice on mods: Avoid DT and HR until you're good(good like in 3000 pp). While HR seems like a possible and challenging mod in your early stages of playing, both mods will soon lead into bad habits or become plain impossible to play properly(AR7+HR/AR8+DT=Death for inexperienced players that have yet to master some basics).
It is ok to toy around with every mod for a bit but the ability to play nomod is the fundament to being successful with every mod. Therefore you should try to play more nomod maps than maps with mods. SD/PF are especially counterproductive to improvement as they are about not playing the game. If you want to use them anyway, this guide is not for you.
EZ/HD/FL are the least detrimental mods to learn early and I think it even makes sense to take a look into EZ/HD relatively early but they require good nomod-fundamentals too - try them on maps you already fullcombo'd nomod. HT on maps out of your range is okay but usually unnecessary as ranking criteria ensures the availability of easier maps for the same song.
tl;dr play nomod
This says everything as you say you've been messing around with DT and HR. Tbh, I suck at HR and DT and I prefer it just that way till I get better with map reading, the reason I use HD a lot (Take a look at my top plays). Osu! isn't about speed (well, its kinda but it's just secondary imo) but about accuracy (PP doesn't rely on it for nothing yah know). So... yeah, basically, although it might sound funny to you, master slow songs first and after you get better accuracy, go to hard songs, etc.

Btw, if you wanna see the forum of my source, here.
Xyrus_old_1

SirLiony wrote:

You might say keep practicing but I've been spamming a lot of easy/hard maps to improve my accuracy but it doesn't work. I feel like there is a specific thing which makes me keep getting 100 and 50.
You simply haven't learned to read the beat yet. You have less than 2000 playcount, you really do need to play more. Beyond that, make sure you have hitsounds enabled and adjust the volume of the music and hitsounds so you can hear the hitsounds over the music clearly.

If you want to know exactly how far off you are from getting a 300, go into options and change "Score meter type" to "Hit Error". Then go back to some of the maps you have FC'd and watch the replays with the Hit Error bar. If you find you're coming in early, just play the map again and focus on coming in later.

SirLiony wrote:

I can't get 99% in normals unless I do DT, and even so I will not get 99% but at least an S which is slightly a waste of time because the beats are really obvious so I avoid normal.
You need to play slower songs, playing with DT to increase the BPM just allows you to "whackamole" your way through maps. You aren't reading the rhythm, you just tapping the circles as soon as you see them. You're getting high accuracy this way because your reaction time to the circles happens to coincide with the beat, i.e. each circle appears 1.1 seconds before you have to tap it, it takes you 1.1 seconds to notice the circle, aim towards it and tap it.

Playing DT will only prevent you from learning to read the beat even longer. Just play without DT and try maps that don't have any streams. You need to get used to tapping single beats at a time, then build up to triples, quints, etc.

_StormEx_ wrote:

And also start practicing with the HD mod to improve map reading and not to depend on approach circles very much since I'm guessing the approach circles are distracting/confusing you (well, that's my case at first anyway). This is just my opinion tho.
Don't use HD! Especially if you're playing maps that are less than AR8! HD is easier to learn at AR8-10. All enabling HD does is hide hit circles and remove approach circles. This may seem like a good idea since taking away approach circles forces you to judge the timing based on listening to the music, but you it's far easier to learn the timing by using approach circles as an aid. Once you've gotten used to reading the beat while using approach circles, then you can think about playing HD and seeing how good your sense of rhythm is.

tl;dr don't use Mods, at all, just play more and try figuring out when you're coming in early / late
mizuki-chan
In low AR (in my opinions AR7 and lower) i use the approach circles as an aid too...from time to time.
What helped me in improving accuracy was playing chosen ARs more. Thats actually logic, for example playing a lot of AR9 makes you get used to the timing with no "real" need of approach circles. But when i switch to a AR7 beatmap then i always click too early in the beginning which causes a lot of 100s xD
Sup A Noob
Well...

SirLiony wrote:

spamming a lot of easy/hard maps to improve my accuracy but it doesn't work
It does seem that many of us have a very misinformed way of training. Playing X difficulty a specific number of times does not make you a better player if you don't know what you need to improve on. I believe that over the course of the thread several people have already pointed out what you are lacking. Allow me to help you summarise this.

The problem is just I can't tap accurately.
I found myself more comfortablet playing maps with higher BPM and faster.
This shows that your basic fundamentals, which is being able to listen and follow basic rhythm, have not yet set in. Your style of reading is to completely rely on approach circles and waiting for them to touch the hitcircle before you click, which isn't wrong, but isn't right either since this is a rhythm game and not a reacting game.

Thing is, the song in the background is not meant for you to just enjoy. It's there for a reason, and the song is mapped that way for a reason too. You must trust the music more. You need to learn to let the approach circles be nothing more but a reference to the rhythm.

Once you get that down you can play any Easy to Hard difficulty maps with no problems.
Topic Starter
SirLiony

Sup A Noob wrote:

This shows that your basic fundamentals, which is being able to listen and follow basic rhythm, have not yet set in. Your style of reading is to completely rely on approach circles and waiting for them to touch the hitcircle before you click, which isn't wrong, but isn't right either since this is a rhythm game and not a reacting game.

Thing is, the song in the background is not meant for you to just enjoy. It's there for a reason, and the song is mapped that way for a reason too. You must trust the music more. You need to learn to let the approach circles be nothing more but a reference to the rhythm.

Once you get that down you can play any Easy to Hard difficulty maps with no problems.
Well. Nice Osu! tutorial telling me to see the approach circles. I've been led to believe that I should fully rely on approach circles and sometimes I would take of my headset after a long tired day. I will try and improve listening to the songs. Also one more, do I play with HD to master this?
Hiro-Senpai
Well i believe it is up to you. But learning hidden so early can have some downsides. Like lower ar maps like <8ar might feel too messy for you bcuz of the amount of circles on the screen.

IMO you should stick to nomod until you will be fine playing 5* maps and by that i mean that it is comfortable to you and possible to fc with fairly high acc.
Yolshka
I don't see a problem with looking at approach circles, i get higher acc when i focus on them.
dung eater
play easy to aim maps that are hard to tap for you.

eliminate other distractions so you can concentrate on acc. have your aim and reading be at almost automatic effortless state, concentrate on moving those fingers to the beat.

llook for lower bpm (120+-50 or something). look for lots of objects per minute to find maps that are more intense to tap. stars are just for jumps, you should ignore stars and concentrate on getting better at accuracy/fingercontrol.
Topic Starter
SirLiony

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

Well i believe it is up to you. But learning hidden so early can have some downsides. Like lower ar maps like <8ar might feel too messy for you bcuz of the amount of circles on the screen.

IMO you should stick to nomod until you will be fine playing 5* maps and by that i mean that it is comfortable to you and possible to fc with fairly high acc.
Ok thanks! Oh btw you reminded me of how I improce last time. I would try to score S on most map in that difficulty before progressing. Thanks for reminding me about thar!
Topic Starter
SirLiony

jaaakb wrote:

play easy to aim maps that are hard to tap for you.

eliminate other distractions so you can concentrate on acc. have your aim and reading be at almost automatic effortless state, concentrate on moving those fingers to the beat.

llook for lower bpm (120+-50 or something). look for lots of objects per minute to find maps that are more intense to tap. stars are just for jumps, you should ignore stars and concentrate on getting better at accuracy/fingercontrol.
Ok thanks! Btw almost all easy maps are hard to tap for me unless I do it with DT.
Xyrus_old_1

SirLiony wrote:

Sup A Noob wrote:

Also one more, do I play with HD to master this?
Definitely not. You play HD once you feel you can get good acc, you don't play HD to learn good acc. I recommend leaving HD alone until you can play get good acc on AR9 nomod, then try learning HD on AR8-9 if you want to play HD.

SirLiony wrote:

Ok thanks! Btw almost all easy maps are hard to tap for me unless I do it with DT.
Rather than maps being too slow, it may be you're unconfortable with low AR, try playing some AR7-8 easy maps.

http://osusearch.com/search/?statuses=R ... (7.00,8.00)&cs=(4.00,4.00)&query_order=-difficulty

Your problem is most likely that you are rushing to tap circles. Try getting good acc on higher AR maps for now, but make sure you go back and get can good acc on a few AR6 maps later as well. Once you can do that, your consistency should increase.
Topic Starter
SirLiony

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

Rather than maps being too slow, it may be you're unconfortable with low AR, try playing some AR7-8 easy maps.

http://osusearch.com/search/?statuses=R ... (7.00,8.00)&cs=(4.00,4.00)&query_order=-difficulty

Your problem is most likely that you are rushing to tap circles. Try getting good acc on higher AR maps for now, but make sure you go back and get can good acc on a few AR6 maps later as well. Once you can do that, your consistency should increase.
Yeah I am rushing to tap circles. I noticed that when another of my friend spectated me but idk how to improve on that. Also I read the approach circle instead of listening to the rhythm. I will try playing high AR maps for now. Thanks!
Topic Starter
SirLiony

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

Try getting good acc on higher AR maps for now
Oh yeah one more thing. What is considered good Acc?

Edit: Do I also play with HR on some maps to increase it's AR?
Hibiya-chan

SirLiony wrote:

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

Try getting good acc on higher AR maps for now

Definitely 95-100% Acc

Edit: HR automatically increases a map's AR
Domp

_StormEx_ wrote:

SirLiony wrote:

Definitely 95-100% Acc

But HR also increases OD, so the Acc will suffer.
Hibiya-chan

Domplol wrote:

_StormEx_ wrote:

But HR also increases OD, so the Acc will suffer.
Yup so definitely no HR till you get better with acc.

So No Mod is the best way to go. I kinda take back what I said about HD since it sucks with low ARs but I do suggest you use it if you're already past through those low ARs and started playing AR 8-9 :)
Sup A Noob
Also one more, do I play with HD to master this?
Please don't. Basics first before you throw in more advanced stuff.

Osu! tutorial telling me to see the approach circles.
osu! tutorial teaches you the rules of the game. It doesn't teach you how to play the game well.
Minhtam
Contrary to what osu! tutorial tells you to do, I actually don't pay THAT much attention to the approach circles. I think I'm doing fine.