forum

[Tutorial] Playing osu!mania with a dance mat

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
31Gabe

There are many ways to play osu!mania. Aside from the usual Rock Fever & O2JAM layouts, there is the DanceDanceRevolution layout I produced and to help contribute to in the osu! community.

In order to get the full experience of the DanceDanceRevolution layout for osu!mania, you will need a MAYFLASH Gamecube Controller Adapter and a dance mat that can work on the Nintendo Gamecube and Wii. Also, you may need to re-map the buttons and panels via in-game button configuration or JoyToKey*.

* In my opinion, I prefer to use JoyToKey because I can map all the key combinations needed to activate music and mod selection, along with the ability to skip most tracks' intros, and to pause the game using a dance mat. You will have to do all of the JoyToKey configuring in order to get it working.
Wayfeng
Lawl.
I love this.
ggsnipess
Why don't you just play DDR/ITG/OpenITG/Stepmania??????????????

I literally can't see your motivation on this anymore.
Halogen-
osu!mania and DDR simply don't go together. You'd be better off trying to emulate certain mixes of PIU on osu!mania, since it counts hold ticks for combos and is quite harsh on releasing before the tail of it.

But I mean... nothing seems to stop you from thinking that these games are one in the same, heh.
PiXL
you know what would be better? setting up your DDR mat for stepmania! You know, THE DDR SIMULATOR? You know what I'm talking about, the one THAT IS MEANT TO SUPPORT PAD PLAY?
Soul Evans
I think his reasoning not using StepMania tto play pad because it's not all that user friendly? and you know? doesn't have a community anymore?
while i do agree that osu is not the best place for a pad game, i'm pretty sure ITG/DDR still has a community and 10x better to play honestly.
aitor98
Why is so much hate here (Or that's what I see, I apologize if it isn't)? He seems to be trying new things. I appreciate the initiative that he had doing this. Maybe is not as much as comfortable to play comparing to other pads/arcade pads (I'm not really experienced here, sorry if I use a wrong technicism) , but this seems really fun to test (at least). If you wanna play seriously and enjoy, obviously you have always the choice of playing ITG/DDR or even PIU, but there's always someone that wants to do something different and this is a good chance to do it.

Good job!
Soul Evans

aitor98 wrote:

Why is so much hate here (Or that's what I see, I apologize if it isn't)? He seems to be trying new things. I appreciate the initiative that he had doing this. Maybe is not as much as comfortable to play comparing to other pads/arcade pads (I'm not really experienced here, sorry if I use a wrong technicism) , but this seems really fun to test (at least). If you wanna play seriously and enjoy, obviously you have always the choice of playing ITG/DDR or even PIU, but there's always someone that wants to do something different and this is a good chance to do it.

Good job!
It IS hate, people these days just want to say to every player ''this is how the game should be played no fun allowed' sure this place isn't really a pad game but hey, there is upscroll and there is people playing with an IIDX controller so what's the difference in this case? osu is well known for portability and customization and such, SM is NOT user friendly and is a pain to setup + keep in mind most players can't afford for arcades and such.
Here's what i think, why should i go to someplace else where there is things like mania converts and customization in the game, checking his posts and came across that he converts pad maps and also maps them so what's the issue here exactly? don't tell other people how they should play the game because i haven't had too much of a good experience with that.
ReTLoM
i dont understand the hate as well ... isnt osu a game ? games are suppose to be fun and if he has fun with a Dance pad he should Play with it and share it how he has fun maybe some one else recognise "Wow this Looks fun i wanna try it" it is all about the fun not hate :)
Halogen-
It is not hate. There have been continuous instances of players trying to remind him that this game is not DDR. He has gone out of his way to even tell people that their beatmaps suck because they use triples in them and didn't match authentic DDR charts. He's either oblivious about the fact that this is osu!mania and not Dance Dance Revolution, or he is continuing a deliberate troll that has gone on for a long time. I personally have a hard time taking it seriously.
aitor98

Halogen- wrote:

It is not hate. There have been continuous instances of players trying to remind him that this game is not DDR. He has gone out of his way to even tell people that their beatmaps suck because they use triples in them and didn't match authentic DDR charts. He's either oblivious about the fact that this is osu!mania and not Dance Dance Revolution, or he is continuing a deliberate troll that has gone on for a long time. I personally have a hard time taking it seriously.
Seems that the main issue is with the user in general, am I wrong? I didn't know all the drama that happened before (I don't want to revive nothing), so I may understand all your comments here now.

PD: I still think the pad would be fun to use, and even more if you choose appropiate beatmaps for it.
AncuL
there is actually people who is still charting pad-oriented charts
Halogen-

AncuL wrote:

there is actually people who is still charting pad-oriented charts
There are communities entirely oriented to this - you just won't find them anywhere near here. Remember that arcade machines do exist and many are privately owned. That's a bit outside of the scope of this topic though - the point is: 13Gabe has done this quite a bit now and it's not too hard to see given his overall posting history. That's all I'm trying to say.
aitor98
Okey I just saw a few posts from this guy, and I totally understand your replies here now lol