forum

Slow, depressing skill decline

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Infinicy
I know I'm not the first person to ask about this, and I most likely will not be the last one to either, but over the past two or three months, every aspect of my stamina has been on a slow, but steady decline. I went from streaming about 205BPM effectively, to now, barely being able to keep up with 170BPM streams. I've heard of RSI, but my arms, wrists, and fingers aren't in any pain, nor are they cold, numb, or have any signs on fatigue. (Unless you count not being able to stream as fatigue) People have asked me why I don't play my usual "aggressive" take on anything that I play anymore, and I'm forced to tell them; "My fingers just can't do what they used to do. Idk"

I currently play Osu for no longer than 2 hours at a time. I've really been trying to take 5-10 minute breaks every hour, but majority of the time I forget that I should, and end up playing until my monitor shuts itself off. (I asked my parents to implement this 'feature' for me so that I wouldn't end up playing for 8 hours on end). I've always had my sights set on becoming a 'god tier streamer', so up until my stamina decline came along, I would really push and try to train myself to stream the higher BPM's (220, 240, etc). And I'm talking REALLY push myself. Every single day I would dedicate atleast one whole hour to stream practicing. My 'training routine' that I followed consisted of playing a 220BPM+ song 10-15 times in a row. Then I would move onto a different high BPM streaming song. Probably not the smartest idea that I've ever had, because hey, look where it's gotten me...

So in conclusion, I guess I'm hoping that someone could give me a few ways to help/poiners? (I can't even lie when I say that this has put me into a state of depression...) If anyone could give me any tips on how to recover from this, and to help it stay AWAY, it would mean the world to me. If you need me to answer any questions, I will also try my hardest to answer them.
Yuudachi-kun
If you're not going to put in more serious time to play "because you don't want to play 8 hours a day", stop right now and go away.

Also RSI is for retards and if you get it from osu you're retarded. Most people saying it are overreacting too.
Bauxe
Have you taken breaks (~1 week for example)?
Do you play variety?
Are you sure your streaming was consistent streaming and not mashing?
Topic Starter
Infinicy

Bauxe wrote:

Have you taken breaks (~1 week for example)?
Do you play variety?
Are you sure your streaming was consistent streaming and not mashing?

I've taken a break for about a week and a half to maybe see if it was temporary, but to no avail.

I do play variety, yes. Besides the training time I dedicate where I'll only do streams, everything else that I play will have very little to no streams.

It felt, and looked consistent. I've went over my replays from 2 months ago, to today, and the only thing that seems to differentiate them, is the rate that I'm pressing my keys down.
Topic Starter
Infinicy

Khelly wrote:

If you're not going to put in more serious time to play "because you don't want to play 8 hours a day", stop right now and go away.

Also RSI is for retards and if you get it from osu you're retarded. Most people saying it are overreacting too.
First of all, could you elaborate more on what you mean when you say "If you're not going to put in more serious time to play" please? There is more than one way to interpret that statement...

Secondly, RSI isn't "for the retarded", nor are people who get it from Osu! retarded, thank you very much, and I would highly appreciate it if you didn't be like 90% of the Internet and call people mentally ill behind your computer screen.

Third and finally; Who, in a regular sane mindset, would not be concerned if they had symptoms to a DISEASE that directly corresponded to affecting something that they love to do? I'm not stating that I am that person, but it could be me in the near, or distant future. That's why I'm making this post: To ask for help. Not for you to come on here and call people retarded, and to tell me that I'm 'overreacting' because I'm worried that I may be developing a disease that affects me for the rest of my life.
Yuudachi-kun
RSI is for the retarded because if you continue to play while in pain you're stupid and deserve it.

It's not a disease - it's a fucking injury that's thrown around frivolously here in this retarded subforum.
NixXSkate
Have you considered using the wrist streaming technique players like sayonara-bye and WubWoofWolf use? I tried improving my streaming for years but the improvement in individual finger movement speed was pretty minimal. However, relearning streams to put my wrist into it helped quite a bit. The technique isn't for everyone though, but worth trying to get down. Many players use some sort of hybrid of wrist and finger movements while streaming. Also, don't worry about RSI; if you're sore, just take a break.
Topic Starter
Infinicy

NixXSkate wrote:

Have you considered using the wrist streaming technique players like sayonara-bye and WubWoofWolf use? I tried improving my streaming for years but the improvement in individual finger movement speed was pretty minimal. However, relearning streams to put my wrist into it helped quite a bit. The technique isn't for everyone though, but worth trying to get down. Many players use some sort of hybrid of wrist and finger movements while streaming. Also, don't worry about RSI; if you're sore, just take a break.
I haven't heard of this technique before. :0 What is it and how do you start using it?
NixXSkate

DaTopBull wrote:

I haven't heard of this technique before. :0 What is it and how do you start using it?
Observe:

This section of Calamity Fortune is also a good example:
https://youtu.be/YLZcCFg0yks?t=58s

Side view of his streaming (hard to see):
https://youtu.be/mG_L7jyuiX0?t=32s
Topic Starter
Infinicy

NixXSkate wrote:

DaTopBull wrote:

Observe:

This section of Calamity Fortune is also a good example:
https://youtu.be/YLZcCFg0yks?t=58s

Side view of his streaming (hard to see):
https://youtu.be/mG_L7jyuiX0?t=32s
Is it the... Sort of wrist moving motion that I should try to adapt into my playstyle? For example, if I was streaming, every time I hit the key with my pointer finger, my hand should kind if tilt to the right?
NixXSkate

DaTopBull wrote:

Is it the... Sort of wrist moving motion that I should try to adapt into my playstyle? For example, if I was streaming, every time I hit the key with my pointer finger, my hand should kind if tilt to the right?
Yea, that's how you alternate from the wrist and forearm, that see-saw like motion and low tension in moving your individual fingers.
Topic Starter
Infinicy

NixXSkate wrote:

DaTopBull wrote:

Yea, that's how you alternate from the wrist and forearm, that see-saw like motion and low tension in moving your individual fingers.
Would you recommend starting at what I can play right now? Or what I used to play?
I Give Up
If you are good at streams, then you should focus on training aim so that you can actually hit streams. Likewise if you were good at jumps then you would practise streams. Focusing on your weaknesses benefit you a lot more than just strengthening your already strong points in this game and can open up a lot of maps and free pp for you.

I'd recommend you play maps that you haven't played before and don't play TV sized for now. Probably you are subconsciously evolving the way you play- tap, hold pen, posture, etc. but holding yourself back with thoughts like "I need to climb back to how good I used to be" when instead your body is actually trying to adapt and is in a temporary state of skill-fatigue as it reconfigures your playstyle habits to get stronger at osu.
Topic Starter
Infinicy

KukiMonster wrote:

If you are good at streams, then you should focus on training aim so that you can actually hit streams. Likewise if you were good at jumps then you would practise streams. Focusing on your weaknesses benefit you a lot more than just strengthening your already strong points in this game and can open up a lot of maps and free pp for you.

I'd recommend you play maps that you haven't played before and don't play TV sized for now. Probably you are subconsciously evolving the way you play- tap, hold pen, posture, etc. but holding yourself back with thoughts like "I need to climb back to how good I used to be" when instead your body is actually trying to adapt and is in a temporary state of skill-fatigue as it reconfigures your playstyle habits to get stronger at osu.
So, since I was once very good at streams, should I play practice my weaker counterpart; jumps, until my skill-fatigue wears off?

Also, I know it's a very broad question to ask, seeing that everyone's hands are different, but is there an 'average' to the amount of time these skill fatigue periods usually last?
Sup A Noob
Also, I know it's a very broad question to ask, seeing that everyone's hands are different, but is there an 'average' to the amount of time these skill fatigue periods usually last?
Rather than hands, it's skill level. The better the player is, the less "skill fatigue" he will have.

I think you'll be fine. Don't worry so much about the temporary "loss of skill", if you can even call it that, and just enjoy the game.