>larger ego
>faster pp
>spinners are no problem
>you can easily draw and edit memes as compared to mouse
>if you do art, +++++bonus
>you look sophisticated
>you won't regret 'not buying a tablet'
>because why not?
am I the only one who thinks that mouse > tablet at spinning?
Sayorie

StephOsu wrote:

well most likely you're spinning wrongly if that's the case, unless you have performance-grade teflon feet under your mice and have a hard mousepad, which feels like gliding on ice. Spinning became a lot easier after I switched from mouse to tablet. But hey, this is just my experience. I don't know about your case.
StephOsu
took me one and a half month to be able to spin 300+rpm constantly after getting a tablet
ManuelOsuPlayer

StephOsu wrote:

FindsPlays wrote:

I hate spins and i'm 100% sure i double the points with pen instead of mouse.
Endaris
Tbh, the longer you play with mouse the more natural spinning becomes. I can spin 350 constant without even thinking about it and I remember myself struggling and focusing on spinners as well. Started at 250 or so. And it doesnt really stop, pretty sure I will spin 390 in half a year or so without giving an effort.
LoGo

Arthraxium wrote:

Pros of buying a tablet
>larger ego
>faster pp
>spinners are no problem
>you look sophisticated
>because why not?
I'm lefthanded but play with right, and can't play with left using tablet, way too low ability and probably would take way longer to master than mouse/tablet in right.
I played with tablet 2 years, my aim was literal utter shit, couldn't snap at all, therefore no pp.
Doesn't matter on what you spin, i could spin 450+ on both( didn't take long to learn.. ), all you need to do is understand how to achieve that, it's the same thing with both hands aka you will shake your hand with both devices, but well i would say tablet is slightly in advantage here but it really depends on the grip, only because of absolute positioning, but it helps only to the beginning of spin, no difference in aiming to next circle after spinner or how fast you spin.
Other 3 points are useless
I regret buying, playing nearly 2 yeas and bothering with such thing as tablet with all my fking heart D:
It took me 1 month with mouse to set scores i couldn't set with tablet... just because of consistency and ability to snap, some people may say, snapping is not important, i would highly disagree, if you understand how to snap it gives pretty insane ability to do squares or any other shape, and it's way more consistent than making a circle instead of square although obviously even with that circle it's possible to aim that square( at some extent tho.)

Someone mentioned doing streams with mouse is easier, no difference i would actually say it's easier with tablet, don't know about other people but when i stream high bpm my aiming hand tensions, maybe if you reach absurd speed or have red switches :^) , that maybe doesn't happen, no idea, but with mouse it's way harder to move spaced streams when your hand is under tension, also mouse drift, it's not even describable how terribad it is when you do long spaced stream and fk up just because your mouse is in some retarded position ( with time you can kinda get used to it and maybe survive that stream then quickly find some part where you can fix but... that's not that easy )

Kyozoru wrote:

It's the same with one exception
Tablet - easy to grip
Mouse - you hold your hand, stamina breaker
I guess for right handed that's the case, but for any left handed but play with right.. i feel like that's a nightmare to find comfortable grip but some do find it and are pretty good, sadly i wasn't that lucky
IF you play consistently your stamina will increase pretty fast ( with mouse )

tl;dr
good luck on tag4 maps with mouse :^), they are the best example why tablet is superior, "kinda doable" but if you compare to tablet players they are actually doable instead of kinda doable
Sayorie

LoGo wrote:

Arthraxium wrote:

Pros of buying a tablet
>larger ego
>faster pp
>spinners are no problem
>you look sophisticated
>because why not?
I'm lefthanded but play with right, and can't play with left using tablet, way too low ability and probably would take way longer to master than mouse/tablet in right.
I played with tablet 2 years, my aim was literal utter shit, couldn't snap at all, therefore no pp.
Doesn't matter on what you spin, i could spin 450+ on both( didn't take long to learn.. ), all you need to do is understand how to achieve that, it's the same thing with both hands aka you will shake your hand with both devices, but well i would say tablet is slightly in advantage here but it really depends on the grip, only because of absolute positioning, but it helps only to the beginning of spin, no difference in aiming to next circle after spinner or how fast you spin.
I regret buying, playing nearly 2 yeas and bothering with such thing as tablet with all my fking heart D:
It took me 1 month with mouse to set scores i couldn't set with tablet... just because of consistency and ability to snap, some people may say, snapping is not important, i would highly disagree, if you understand how to snap it gives pretty insane ability to do squares or any other shape, and it's way more consistent than making a circle instead of square although obviously even with that circle it's possible to aim that square( at some extent tho.)
Well, you're probably one of the few with troubles using a tablet. I just stated popular facts there, so you're basically disagreeing to the general consensus here. It's not like I'm blaming you, it's just that you took my post rather seriously. :o
LoGo

Arthraxium wrote:

Well, you're probably one of the few with troubles using a tablet. I just stated popular facts there, so you're basically disagreeing to the general consensus here. It's not like I'm blaming you, it's just that you took my post rather seriously. :o
Nah, i'm prety chill :D, but i know some who are the same, playing with right but lefthanded and if i compare their progression to other player progression who are righthanded it's pretty noticable, hard to compare tho, as everyone have their own pace of learning and understanding things.. but one of my friends literally could aim way better in 15 minutes with tablet than i did in 1 month, we bought tablet i think with 1 week difference or few days, dont remember.
iSatoru

FindsPlays wrote:

I see a lot of people saying that tablet is better than mouse but what makes it better than the mouse?
I use the mouse a lot and I'm better than most people at my rank.... (or at least I think I am in terms of skill.) I know this might be a stupid question but I really want to know. NOTE: I have never used a tablet so that's the reason I'm asking this question... I'm mostly looking for people that use both but if u use one or the other then ur also welcomed here :).
i use mouse and i get used to it so why tablet lol (fyi if u want to pass an insane mode mouse is kinda hard to use k)
Hiro-Senpai

iSatoru wrote:

i use mouse and i get used to it so why tablet lol (fyi if u want to pass an insane mode mouse is kinda hard to use k)
Well everything is hard to use if you didnt play enough. The skill cap of mouse or tablet is the same. Tablet might have a slight advantage in precision and making jumps at the beginning but there are many good mouse players so it's basically proven that mouse can do almost everything that tablet can
iSatoru

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

iSatoru wrote:

Well everything is hard to use if you didnt play enough. The skill cap of mouse or tablet is the same. Tablet might have a slight advantage in precision and making jumps at the beginning but there are many good mouse players so it's basically proven that mouse can do almost everything that tablet can
k senpai
LoGo

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

iSatoru wrote:

The skill cap of mouse or tablet is the same.
In what universe ? Did you even read anything anyone said here. Skill cap is completely different but both can be quite close as human still remains human and only in some rare exceptions that insane cap that tablet has may be somewhat reached

If you take 2 perfect examples of mouse and tablet player, tablet will be way above mouse... how do you have to think to say such thing.. like wtf..
Caenis
iSatoru

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

LoGo wrote:

In what universe ? Did you even read anything anyone said here. Skill cap is completely different but both can be quite close as human still remains human and only in some rare exceptions that insane cap that tablet has may be somewhat reached

If you take 2 perfect examples of mouse and tablet player, tablet will be way above mouse... how do you have to think to say such thing.. like wtf..
when he said mouse had more control over using a stylus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxzJGgox_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxzJGgox_E
Hiro-Senpai

LoGo wrote:

Okay i rethinked this and i agree with you
Topic Starter
F o o n d s
One thing I also noticed it seems that when u have a tablet u have more control because u have a pen unlike a mouse which u have to move ur whole with u can correct me on that (I might be 100% wrong for all I know lol)
7ambda
"Mouse can anything."
I Give Up
Tablet is better than mouse coz of absolute positioning, cost efficiency, and the light weight and universal pen shape. Whereas everyone has a unique perfect mouse + pad for their playstyle which they have to discover through trial and error very expensive or pure luck.
Xayne
I played with mouse up to rank 16k then got a tablet. I've had a tablet for close to 6 months now and I still don't think I'm as good with the tablet as I was in my prime with the mouse. I was way more consistent aim-wise with the mouse. If you have a mousepad and space large enough to make drifting a non-issue, then I really don't see any reason why tablet is better than mouse. However, if you're going to play at a high level with a mouse, you need a good quality mouse that is capable of registering the quick movements required in higher level mapping. I hit a wall when I was using some $30 wireless mouse I got at Best Buy because it couldn't track fast enough to keep up with the large jumps. I invested in a Logitech G502 and that problem immediately went away. The way I see it, if you're better at using mouse, there's no reason not to continue using it. You can get just as good with a mouse as you can with a tablet. The only reason I still play tablet is because I feel like I've invested so much time into learning it, that it would be a waste to switch back now.
Xayne

FindsPlays wrote:

One thing I also noticed it seems that when u have a tablet u have more control because u have a pen unlike a mouse which u have to move ur whole with u can correct me on that (I might be 100% wrong for all I know lol)
There is such a thing as being a wrist player with mouse. I played with 850 DPI on fullscreen 1920x1080 and never had to use my arm to aim.
Caenis
StephOsu

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

we've been holding pens and pencils(and chopsticks if asian) for hundreds of years universally and steph tells us that we have less control over something that we've been using for only 2 decades :lol: just on the physical aspect, not only do you have to cover way more surface area your hands have to open up way more which means LESS control compared to a tight grip on a really small stylus, like imagine lifting barbells with a really thick rod that your hand just perfectly wraps around compared to a barbell with a thin rod that you can pretty much form a fist with, you will guaranteed have more control on the latter than the former
As an asian I would like to notify that we don't hold chopsticks the same way as holding pens/pencils
and also using pens and pencil for drawing/writing is pretty different from using a tablet pen in osu mainly because most player hover the pen instead of dragging it. Even if the player is dragging, the difference is still there.
We are never going to repetitively move from 1 end of the paper to another end at a really fast pace when we are drawing/writing. In fact, we take it slow most of the time so we write/draw out whatever we desired from our mind
In the meantime, we aren't drawing/writing out from our mind when we are playing osu. We are reacting to the circles at a really fast pace after we read the patterns of the circles. It's different thing altogether. One might even argue that the grip is different between writing and playing as well

Two prime example why writing/drawing is totally different from playing games like osu from this thread alone

LoGo wrote:

Xayne wrote:

I played with mouse up to rank 16k then got a tablet. I've had a tablet for close to 6 months now and I still don't think I'm as good with the tablet as I was in my prime with the mouse. I was way more consistent aim-wise with the mouse. If you have a mousepad and space large enough to make drifting a non-issue, then I really don't see any reason why tablet is better than mouse. However, if you're going to play at a high level with a mouse, you need a good quality mouse that is capable of registering the quick movements required in higher level mapping. I hit a wall when I was using some $30 wireless mouse I got at Best Buy because it couldn't track fast enough to keep up with the large jumps. I invested in a Logitech G502 and that problem immediately went away. The way I see it, if you're better at using mouse, there's no reason not to continue using it. You can get just as good with a mouse as you can with a tablet. The only reason I still play tablet is because I feel like I've invested so much time into learning it, that it would be a waste to switch back now.
That comparism was almost as if comparing using a broom as a self-defense weapon during emergencies and using broom for sweeping the floor
Endie-

F1r3tar wrote:

Mouse can anything.
ManuelOsuPlayer

F1r3tar wrote:

"Mouse can anything."
+1
Fxjlk
This might be weird coming from a mouse player but if you are new to the game and have the money I would recommend a tablet. The reason is because it is easier to get to higher ranks on tablet than it is using a mouse. Mouse drift increases the amount of effort you have to put in to re position the mouse during maps. Sometimes its easy on maps with sliders but even still that is one extra action you have to do that tablet players don't.

I ended up staying with a mouse and not buying a tablet when i started because I'm cheap and cant be bothered buying a good tablet when i have an awesome razer deathadder (2013) already.
Topic Starter
F o o n d s

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

This might be weird coming from a mouse player but if you are new to the game and have the money I would recommend a tablet. The reason is because it is easier to get to higher ranks on tablet than it is using a mouse. Mouse drift increases the amount of effort you have to put in to re position the mouse during maps. Sometimes its easy on maps with sliders but even still that is one extra action you have to do that tablet players don't.

I ended up staying with a mouse and not buying a tablet when i started because I'm cheap and cant be bothered buying a good tablet when i have an awesome razer deathadder (2013) already.
I'm not playing for ranks I'm playing to get better at the game. Yeah sure I'll get some pp from time to time but I play the game to get better :D
evora

Endie- wrote:

F1r3tar wrote:

Mouse can anything.
^
Xyrus_old_1

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

This only applies to the lower ranks, once you pass about 40 or 30k, the rate if improvement is determined more heavily by play more and focusing on improvement than whether you use a mouse or tablet.

Endie- wrote:

F1r3tar wrote:

Mouse can ENYTHANG.
Xayne

Xayne wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

That comparism was almost as if comparing using a broom as a self-defense weapon during emergencies and using broom for sweeping the floor
That's the dumbest analogy I've ever heard. It also makes zero sense.
KururuMan
I'm not by any means "good", but here're my two (four?) cents:

1. Based on watching people better than myself play, I can say that in general, the tablet is more popular at higher ranks.
2. The mouse is a hell-of-a-lot easier to learn to play with because the mouse is the peripheral of choice for most people.
3. I would expect that, as with other games in which players ask about preferable controllers, it doesn't really matter in the end, it just boils down to what you're better with. There was a guy at EVO USFIV, who you may or may not have heard about, who used a PS controller in Top 8. PS as in the first model.
4. If you have super-shaky hands, then screw the idea of a tablet altogether, unless you can train the shakiness out of your hands. Shaky hands are definitely better suited to a mouse and keyboard, with which you have a mounted surface to rest your (insert joint here) on.
Endaris

KururuMan wrote:

2. The mouse is a hell-of-a-lot easier to learn to play with because the mouse is the peripheral of choice for most people.
This is wrong.
Even though people may be used to holding a mouse they aren't used to move it in the way that is favorable for osu!. Even if theyre FPS-Prodigies, it's something clearly different.
On top of it, what could be easier than holding a pen?
Tablet has what I call mobilityhax. The player has a big mobility from the start while you have to earn yourself that mobility with a mouse.
That's also why good mouseplayers can usually switch to tablet without huge issues but not the other way around.
mizuki-chan
Tablet and mouse both is fine.
StephOsu

Xayne wrote:

Xayne wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

That's the dumbest analogy I've ever heard. It also makes zero sense.
that analogy was pointed towards yuno's pen/pencil analogy, not yours
I took your case as an example for how using a tablet pen for osu is totally different from writing/drawing with a pen/pencil
sorry for causing the misunderstanding

The original part of the post

StephOsu wrote:

Two prime example why writing/drawing is totally different from playing games like osu from this thread alone

LoGo wrote:

Xayne wrote:

Sup A Noob

Endaris wrote:

KururuMan wrote:

This is wrong.
Even though people may be used to holding a mouse they aren't used to move it in the way that is favorable for osu!. Even if theyre FPS-Prodigies, it's something clearly different.
On top of it, what could be easier than holding a pen?
Tablet has what I call mobilityhax. The player has a big mobility from the start while you have to earn yourself that mobility with a mouse.
That's also why good mouseplayers can usually switch to tablet without huge issues but not the other way around.
^What Endaris said.

If mouse is hell lot easier then everyone will be using it to draw on Photoshop and we won't need tablets. Sadly that isn't really the case. What tablet has over mouse is absolute positioning and no cursor drifts/skips. And this is coming from a mouse player.

That being said, I keep playing mouse because I have no need for a tablet outside of osu!, and getting good with the mouse also brings me more pleasure than getting good with the tablet.