forum

Hardware effects?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Raniemi
*Does having a high-end computer help with accuracy? (more specifically, the video card)

About two months ago, I switched from a decent video card to
one that isn't so great because of heat. At the same time, I have
been rarely playing for the past 2 months.

I'm somewhat back now but I can't seem to hold my accuracy no matter what. It
doesn't feel like I'm rusty so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the hardware change.
(I don't have the video card I used before to test this)

I've also noticed that good accuracy players have pretty good computers too
kurodahatsuharu

Raniemi wrote:

*Does having a high-end computer help with accuracy? (more specifically, the video card)

About two months ago, I switched from a decent video card to
one that isn't so great because of heat. At the same time, I have
been rarely playing for the past 2 months.

I'm somewhat back now but I can't seem to hold my accuracy no matter what. It
doesn't feel like I'm rusty so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the hardware change.
(I don't have the video card I used before to test this)

I've also noticed that good accuracy players have pretty good computers too
Your FPS Stable at 240 fps ? If no, then yes, it's effected. If yes, then no.
chainpullz
Beyond the input lag due to how the game is coded and added reading difficulty from not having smooth approach circles there shouldn't really be much of a difference. Anything above 1k fps is such a marginal gain that it won't affect your accuracy. You are probably just rusty despite feeling otherwise. This game is extremely high maintenance. The ability to hold combo comes back rather fast but things like consistently SS'ing high OD will take time.

Part of the issue is that things like aim only appear to come back fast because you are diverting your focus from things like acc to focus on aim. The result is you feel like you are holding combo just as easily as you used to and it only feels like your acc is suffering. In reality your acc is suffering as a direct result of your aim not being as effortless as it once was. This is also why lowering the AR of maps can completely destroy your aim. You have to divert so much of your focus into just comprehending what is going on that you no longer have enough mental bandwidth to dedicate to aiming.
Topic Starter
Raniemi

chainpullz wrote:

Anything above 1k fps is such a marginal gain that it won't affect your accuracy
Do you know how marginal that can be?

I know it won't cause any drops like 100% --> 97% but
I have a HDHR SS score with ~65UR from before and no matter how hard I try now, I can only SS at ~75UR

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

Your FPS Stable at 240 fps ?
1k+ fps
chainpullz

Raniemi wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Anything above 1k fps is such a marginal gain that it won't affect your accuracy
Do you know how marginal that can be?

I know it won't cause any drops like 100% --> 97% but
I have a HDHR SS score with ~65UR from before and no matter how hard I try now, I can only SS at ~75UR

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

Your FPS Stable at 240 fps ?
1k+ fps
At 1k fps the delay is less than 1ms. 1ms only happens when your keyboard poll happens immediately after a frame refresh. A 1ms jitter should add no more than 10UR. At 3k fps you are upper bounded by like 3.33 UR instead. Realistically the difference is going to be less than 5UR though.

As far as smoothness is concerned it's not really something that can be objectively evaluated at such high framerates. It would be like comparing two waves in the middle a lake. Maybe one is a little bit taller but with the boat rocking back and forth who the fuck really knows. Blind tests would likely be inconclusive (aka mostly placebo).
gregest
I get 100-150 fps and 10ms
Dexus
If your framerates are stable, high and you're playing fullscreen your gpu isn't causing any problems. This just sounds like you're a bit rusty and should play more to adapt again.
kurodahatsuharu
human responsive is around 250 - 300ms, so a little ms don't really effect you, it's about stable. You force the fps to 1k+, but it's stable or not ? FPS jumping around 1200 -> 1000 is not stable.
Second is your monitor, is your monitor can support 1ms responsive or not ? If you monitor just support up to 4 or 5 ms, force your machine to 1k fps simply not worth it.
Yolshka

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

human responsive is around 250 - 300ms, so a little ms don't really effect you, it's about stable. You force the fps to 1k+, but it's stable or not ? FPS jumping around 1200 -> 1000 is not stable

Dexus wrote:

If your framerates are stable, high and you're playing fullscreen your gpu isn't causing any problems. This just sounds like you're a bit rusty and should play more to adapt again.
why what happens if its not stable mine varies in pretty big numbers
chainpullz

ShadyAngel wrote:

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

human responsive is around 250 - 300ms, so a little ms don't really effect you, it's about stable. You force the fps to 1k+, but it's stable or not ? FPS jumping around 1200 -> 1000 is not stable

Dexus wrote:

why what happens if its not stable mine varies in pretty big numbers
If you always have a static 10ms delay your brain just learns to hit 10ms early (or you set a global offset). If you have a dynamic 0-10ms delay your brain won't know what to do.

Delay due to frame time is of the 2nd kind. At high fps stability doesn't actually matter but instability sometimes indicates dropped frames which can cause much more delay than the frame time counter indicates.
Yolshka

chainpullz wrote:

If you always have a static 10ms delay your brain just learns to hit 10ms early (or you set a global offset). If you have a dynamic 0-10ms delay your brain won't know what to do.

Delay due to frame time is of the 2nd kind. At high fps stability doesn't actually matter but instability sometimes indicates dropped frames which can cause much more delay than the frame time counter indicates.
hmm interesting, i made it so that i can play with 1,6ms delay, but that is usually moving around between 1,6-3,3 pretty quickly up and down.
does that matter? how can i make it stable?
Dexus
Limit the framerate to a high but stable amount. The game config has a custom option for how high you want the framerate to go. Try setting it to 600fps or 480fps, a multiple of your monitor's refresh rate to make sure it's smooth (I assume you're using 60hz). It is recommended to just run it at unlimited. If you're fluctuating around 1000-1200 fps that doesn't matter, it's too insignificant to matter. If you're fluctuating around 1000fps to 200fps that is where you're going to have problems. That you can remedy by trying to see if your pc has power saving options set up and disable them. If after all that and you're still getting unstable framerates then It may be something with your gpu cooling not working properly and trying to throttle itself to not burn up.

Also

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

human responsive is around 250 - 300ms, so a little ms don't really effect you, it's about stable. You force the fps to 1k+, but it's stable or not ? FPS jumping around 1200 -> 1000 is not stable.
Second is your monitor, is your monitor can support 1ms responsive or not ? If you monitor just support up to 4 or 5 ms, force your machine to 1k fps simply not worth it.
What the hell are you saying? Ignore this guy he doesn't know what he's talking about. Human "responsive", or response time I'm guessing is what you're trying to say, has nothing to do with how osu! plays as you're not reacting. Everything that has higher latency will add up and make it feel like you're moving around while drunk. Monitor response time is NOT AT ALL tied to display latency. What the game runs at and the monitor displays at are two separate things that add up as I said.
kurodahatsuharu

Dexus wrote:

Limit the framerate to a high but stable amount. The game config has a custom option for how high you want the framerate to go. Try setting it to 600fps or 480fps, a multiple of your monitor's refresh rate to make sure it's smooth (I assume you're using 60hz). It is recommended to just run it at unlimited. If you're fluctuating around 1000-1200 fps that doesn't matter, it's too insignificant to matter. If you're fluctuating around 1000fps to 200fps that is where you're going to have problems. That you can remedy by trying to see if your pc has power saving options set up and disable them. If after all that and you're still getting unstable framerates then It may be something with your gpu cooling not working properly and trying to throttle itself to not burn up.

Also

kurodahatsuharu wrote:

What the hell are you saying? Ignore this guy he doesn't know what he's talking about. Human "responsive", or response time I'm guessing is what you're trying to say, has nothing to do with how osu! plays as you're not reacting. Everything that has higher latency will add up and make it feel like you're moving around while drunk. Monitor response time is NOT AT ALL tied to display latency. What the game runs at and the monitor displays at are two separate things that add up as I said.
And what ? Monitor response time is not add up to latency, it's make GHOSTING trail effect with may make harder to play due to quick fast gameplay. FPS means Frame per second, imagine cartoon, you draw and you flip the paper makes it become moving picture, faster you flip the paper the faster the image will move, mean less GHOSTING trail effect, if you computer has high fps, which is less ghosting, but your monitor has high response time, the response time on your monitor is the response you see, that's call "bottle neck".
Human response time is about GHOSTING also, i'm not talking about reacting. Because your eyes always see ghosting anything below 250 ms, a few ms faster will not help you much, so get everything stable is the most important things.
Yolshka

Dexus wrote:

What problems will you run into ?
yes 60hz monitor
btw i set the custom frame limit at 360fps,but it kept dropping down to 270 while playing.
it can get pretty high on unlimited, but only on some breaks, i don't know the exact numbers tho because it doesn't show.how to check that.
so that means i should put on a 270 cap?
Edit:
this 'reduce dropped frames' option did not seem to do much, but turning it off lowered my latency or delay or whatever slightly.
Dexus
Set it to 240fps and I insist on playing fullscreen. You can use letterboxing to adjust to a more comfortable viewing area and also limit the cursor to the play area.
I Give Up
Input lag does not matter so much you can always offset so unless you have bad reaction time and try to DT on a potato this is not your problem. Stable fps is more important than the amount of fps you have. If you have unstable fps then you should try limiting it, also disable graphics/videos/desktop/etc. to save the frames.
Yolshka

Dexus wrote:

Set it to 240fps and I insist on playing fullscreen. You can use letterboxing to adjust to a more comfortable viewing area and also limit the cursor to the play area.
Yeah its pretty stable like this, I only lose a bit when playing EZ mode, but only goes down to like 210.
Delay 4,2-4,4ms with this setup.But most of the time 4,2.

Can anyone tell me how 4.2ms performs on , lets say , OD 10?
chainpullz

ShadyAngel wrote:

Dexus wrote:

Yeah its pretty stable like this, I only lose a bit when playing EZ mode, but only goes down to like 210.
Delay 4,2-4,4ms with this setup.But most of the time 4,2.

Can anyone tell me how 4.2ms performs on , lets say , OD 10?
Very shitty. 4.2ms is like 1/5 of your 300 window. You basically randomly shrink your 300 window up to 20% when playing with 4.2ms dynamic input lag on OD10. The random 100's are very noticable unless you are like mizuki or something and don't even need the full 300 window.
gregest
or you can play dt if u have shit fps kappa
Yolshka

ShadyAngel wrote:

Very shitty. 4.2ms is like 1/5 of your 300 window. You basically randomly shrink your 300 window up to 20% when playing with 4.2ms dynamic input lag on OD10. The random 100's are very noticable unless you are like mizuki or something and don't even need the full 300 windo
Sounds pretty bad.
I can get lower input delay with unlimited but the fps becomes unstable. Do i have a solution for that? or should I just live with that.
Btw i used to play with 240fps cap, recently changed it to unlimited, but i didn't notice much difference despite it being unstable?
What does unstable framerate do to you.
chainpullz
You'll see boxes next to your frame time counter if you are actually dropping frames. If you don't get those frequently just play unlimited.
Dexus
lmao display latency doesnt reduce your hit window, what are you talking about
Topic Starter
Raniemi
I honestly feel like my hit window has been reduced by ~2 ms or something. So difficult to get a low UR anymore
Full Tablet
While having low fps does make accuracy harder, the effect is not that pronounced.

To increase the unstable rate of a play from 65 to 75, the change in fps would be in the order of something like from 2000fps to 77fps.
Yolshka

chainpullz wrote:

You'll see boxes next to your frame time counter if you are actually dropping frames. If you don't get those frequently just play unlimited.
Oh alright so thats what those are for thank you for the answers i can be a bit exhausting :P