forum

I'm improving but I don't see any gains

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Raynok
The thing is that I've been stuck in the 34-37k range for months, and although I know that I'm improving, I don't feel like it because I can't break the 34k barrier. Before saying "Play for fun, not for the pp" or "Play more", the problem here is not that I want to gain more pp. For example, I know I can fc a couple of maps that would give me around 170pp, but the more I retry it on the same day, the harder I fail. However, when I play maps that are way harder I usually carry out a better performance because I know from the beginning I won't fc it, so I don't have this pressure of not failing any circle.
Yolshka
You're gonna fc something eventually though.Actually you're gonna fc everything you want.
The time it takes, or when you do it, doesn't really matter, the only thing that matters is that you fc it sooner or later.
Noticing improvement, is quite fine tbh.

I want pp too yo.
Skybussa
I went 6 months without gaining pp and one day, everything clicked, I got my top 10 ranks all within the same day and also jumped from rank ~7.5k-4k.

The thing is, throughout that time I knew I was improving. Just try not to be bothered by it and if you see you are improving, your rank will naturally increase one day. Well, that is, if you actually FC songs.

If you always play songs that you can't FC you will almost never gain PP.
LoliPantsu

Renji wrote:

I went 6 months without gaining pp and one day, everything clicked, I got my top 10 ranks all within the same day and also jumped from rank ~7.5k-4k.

The thing is, throughout that time I knew I was improving. Just try not to be bothered by it and if you see you are improving, your rank will naturally increase one day. Well, that is, if you actually FC songs.

If you always play songs that you can't FC you will almost never gain PP.

eye ehgree
Owari
If you play this game to get ranks you are missing the point of a game : fun, enjoyment, fulfillment.

Just play the game and you'll get ranks from time to time, it will just click one day like Renji said.
StephOsu
just play more tbh
dung eater
enjoy game pls

if you know you are getting better that's great, keep it up
ithgyu
look you can work hard but unless you have the quality supplements and diet then it really wont matter. I recommend a pre waifu mass gainer to get you ready to grind out some 70% nf scores. For post, make sure you watch the most weeb shit anime you can find, stuff like sword art online and attack on titan are for chumps, what you really need is something that has some really obscure long question title with some cute anime grills. As for diet, only eat cup ramen, and cuddle up to a body pillow for sugar intake. Hope this helps!
silento
Just stop caring about ranks. Keep them in your mind and you will never fc anything because of the pressure. The best way to climb is by not giving a shit about the stupid numbers and just play for the fc.
Fxjlk
Ive never been stuck without improvement for months but I have been stuck for a few weeks and it was pretty annoying. Instead of focusing on my pp gains I instead looked at If i was playing the songs any different. I would remember any parts i usually loose my streak (usually hard streams or jumps) and if i passed them I would feel proud even though my score would remain unchanged. Same goes for accuracy, sometimes i would get a lower score but get 3% higher accuracy than any of my other plays and I could really feel that i was getting a better understanding of the rhythm. Next day i would usually ace the song and improve my pp.
Frolski
Get 30kk total hits.
I Give Up
You're improving at the same rate other people are improving so your rank stagnant. If you want to increase rank you have to improve faster than others above and below you, and actually commit to making a new score.
Sayorie
Unpopular opinion, but rank is only relevant when you want to feed your ego. Rankings are inherently competitive, and thus eventually leads to this. If you only care about playing the game for fun without batting an eye on other players, then rankings probably don't matter to you.

inb4 people will fight me for this post
StephOsu

Arthraxium wrote:

Unpopular opinion, but rank is only relevant when you want to feed your ego. Rankings are inherently competitive, and thus eventually leads to this. If you only care about playing the game for fun without batting an eye on other players, then rankings probably don't matter to you.

inb4 people will fight me for this post
triggered
rank matters more than that
rank exist for a reason, which is showing skill level
rank is only irrelevant when the number difference isn't really big, like say 20k and 25k
otherwise rank is always relevant
just to set an example, try to find a non-smurf non-offline 100k player to beat rank 10k player
Sayorie

StephOsu wrote:

rank exist for a reason, which is showing skill level
Everyone's rank is increasing because of a lot of inactive players got removed. However, it doesn't mean that your skill just increased.
Rank decay due to inactivity doesn't mean that you lose skill either.

>pp exist for a reason, which is showing skill level

FTFY

Sorry if you got triggered, I just want to express that pp is more relevant to show improvement rather than rank.
StephOsu

Arthraxium wrote:

>pp exist for a reason, which is showing skill level

StephOsu wrote:

rank matters more than that
rank is only irrelevant when the number difference isn't really big, like say 20k and 25k
otherwise rank is always relevant
just to set an example, try to find a non-smurf non-offline 100k player to beat rank 10k player
if you can't find any fault in this statement then I will still stand on my ground
IMO pp has no difference with rank since they are tightly linked

anyways don't worry LOL im just joking about being triggered
The Gambler
Hi Steph :)

Idk what to say here.
StephOsu

The Gambler wrote:

Hi Steph :)

Idk what to say here.
play more
The Gambler
Pray mole
iSatoru
you can fc any songs tbh, just practice and play and have fun, or try new things like adding mods, you can practice with it so you'll improve more
Jellyfish McGub
fc is hard i want my score to rest
The Gambler
Takes about a year for anything serious... IMO
chainpullz

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

fc is hard i want my score to rest
Seriously, what part of gtfo and don't come back did you not understand the first 50 times we said it?
Xayne
I thought like this for a while too, but then I realized after a while of being stuck at around 20k that the skill level I was at that point would absolutely destroy the skill level I was at when I was FC'ing everything I played. People often overlook the main component in gaining rank, consistency. Your raw skill can improve, you can get better aim, you can improve your reading, you can tap faster. All of those make you a better player and give you the ability to pass more difficult maps. But what brings FC's and ultimately rank gain is the consistency to play at that level for an entire song without a single mistake. The time it takes to get consistent enough at the level of play required to FC maps once you start attacking maps around 5 star no-mod maps is quite different from the rapid improvement most players experience when learning osu for the first time.
Endie-
Play for fun. If you're noticing improvement then thats awesome! The so called "gains" come with improvement.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Raynok wrote:

The thing is that I've been stuck in the 34-37k range for months, and although I know that I'm improving, I don't feel like it because I can't break the 34k barrier. Before saying "Play for fun, not for the pp" or "Play more", the problem here is not that I want to gain more pp. For example, I know I can fc a couple of maps that would give me around 170pp, but the more I retry it on the same day, the harder I fail. However, when I play maps that are way harder I usually carry out a better performance because I know from the beginning I won't fc it, so I don't have this pressure of not failing any circle.
You're to obssesed on it and i'm sure you're more focused on the % and the combo than the circles. Try to Shift + Tab in game, maybe that will help you to really focus on the song and the rythm. Could be possible you don't enjoy the song anymore, try to changue skin or at least skin hit sounds.
You should have a list with a lot of songs what you want full combo and play them all, not only 1. When i can't fc a song because i have random misses i go for other song and back to the first wirh better results.
It work on me, hope can help you too. Good luck!
vinnicci
Consistency is key.
Sayorie

hypercom wrote:

Consistency is key.
Regarding consistency, this could really help. http://ask.fm/Rohulk/answers/136082788955
ManuelOsuPlayer

Arthraxium wrote:

hypercom wrote:

Consistency is key.
Regarding consistency, this could really help. http://ask.fm/Rohulk/answers/136082788955
Rohulk it's really rude but say the truth. I like him.
Helyana
[self-deleted]
The Gambler
Eat more protein.

Lift more weights.

Mentally recite the kama sutras that will allow you to harvest pp in the future.