forum

osu! Storyboard Script Editor

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MoonShade
I noticed that the procedure of making a storyboard by scripting mostly consists of copying the time from the osu design tab into notepad. Hopefully you can use loops, but if not (e.g. lyrics) you will end up with switching between osu! and notepad, copy-pasting or calcing where the next picture should appear.

I think it should be easier if an application can calculate and shift the amount of milliseconds of your commands with only one click. So here it is, a java-written storyboard editor with time-shifting function.

Features: (v. 1.0.1)
- Syntax highlighting for osu/osb files
- Line enumeration
- Time-Shifting of storyboard commands with one click:
--> Selected numbers will directly be shifted
--> In selected lines, only the start- and endtimes are shifted
--> Loop detection: only the starttime of loops are shifted, not the commands in the loop (if you want to shift them, you must select a line without the 2 blanks at the beginning)
--> BPM-calc: type the bpm once and shift your commands by an amount of measures/ticks
- New: .osb/.osu-files can now be directly opened with osbe.exe (right-click on the .osb and choose "Open With...")
- Working on all platforms

Screenshots:

Download:
Windows EXE
Executable JAR (Should work fine on Mac & Linux)

Known Issues:
- Strg+V/Z/... are doing the same job twice in a row... gonna fix that very soon.
- There isn't an exception handling for all possible situations yet, so it may crash at some point
- The dialog for Opening/Saving As... isn't that good yet, it will be optimised in the future
Aqua
Looks pretty nice. Gonna test it when I'm back home :)

Just one thing: Try packing it into a executable File. Always running "java -jar osbe.jar" is a bit annoying ^^
RandomJibberish
This should help a lot with SBing Swoon :P
peppy
It's a pity this wasn't written in .net, so it could be integrated into osu! itself. I was hoping to get something like this in the osu! editor but haven't had the time to yet. Does seem like a good temporary solution, I guess (though this thread title is a bit ambiguous).
Zekira
Can this somehow handle copy-pasting of SB elements into a different time and automatically adjust from there?
Topic Starter
MoonShade

Aqua wrote:

Just one thing: Try packing it into a executable File. Always running "java -jar osbe.jar" is a bit annoying ^^
Done~

peppy wrote:

It's a pity this wasn't written in .net, so it could be integrated into osu! itself.
I'm working with java for years now and have no experience with .net, that's why I've decided to make it with java for now.

peppy wrote:

(though this thread title is a bit ambiguous).
Hm sry, but I don't get the ambiguity in the title, or is it because osu! has a sort of sb-editor in it?

Zekira wrote:

Can this somehow handle copy-pasting of SB elements into a different time and automatically adjust from there?
Let's say you want to use the same sb-effect twice, but shifted by an amount of time/measures, or you want to use the same sb-effects in each chorus. With the editor, you can copy-paste those lines, select and shift them by a specified amount of time/measures, sart- and endtimes of commands will be adjusted.
peppy
Yeah, I just added a "script" to the subject; I think that clarifies it a lot :).
Topic Starter
MoonShade
When I save the .osb file with my Editor and want to reload the map, I get this Error:

Edit: fixed~
Zekira
Let's say you want to use the same sb-effect twice, but shifted by an amount of time/measures, or you want to use the same sb-effects in each chorus. With the editor, you can copy-paste those lines, select and shift them by a specified amount of time/measures, sart- and endtimes of commands will be adjusted.
God darn awesome!
peppy
Keep in mind you can do similar things using either Loops (changing the loop start time for each occurrence) or a lot more advanced using osq ;).
Zekira
I'm actually using osq at the moment since it's (was) pretty much the most optimal solution back then

But since most of the SB stuff I do only really requires basic but repetitive stuff, this tool kinda helps out really, REALLY much than it should really be to me
Topic Starter
MoonShade
Update:
- solved problems with saving files & reloading the map in the osu! editor
- .osb and .osu files can now be opened with ease, just right-click on them and choose "Open With..." and navigate to/choose osbe.exe
- open/save dialog now remembers the last folder
Tenshi-nyan
MoonShade-sama, please teach me Java D:

I wanted to make a feature request to make the SB editor more user friendly for a while, but I guess I won't have to with this around, do I?
Even though I still don't know Jack about storyboarding.
jericho2442
im gonna give this a test run later.

if it runs and does what i want it to i will <33 you ;D
Ephemeral
Would you be willing to release the source for this? I may try porting it to .NET (for hopeful inclusion into the ingame editor) at some point.
Echo

Ephemeral wrote:

Would you be willing to release the source for this? I may try porting it to .NET (for hopeful inclusion into the ingame editor) at some point.
java decompiler go
Ephemeral
i would but it is disrespectful to do so unless the developer is okay with it :(
Topic Starter
MoonShade
Well, you can use a decompiler if you want, or you can wait for me to send you the source till somewhen next week, cause I'm not on my computer at home at the moment.

If you are interested in this syntax-thing, I used RSyntaxTextArea for it (I compiled a class and .flex with the TokenMakerMaker and added it there). It's not an optimal syntax highlighting though, but it looks nicer than just black text for me.
peppy
You'd be better starting from scratch than "porting" from a different language.
Zekira
Is it just me or everytime I press Ctrl-V, it always pastes twice?

EDIT: Correction; any keyboard shortcut I use does the action twice...
Topic Starter
MoonShade
Yes sry for that, It's a bug and I will fix it in the near future.