forum

Feels like I always hit a wall in improvement

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Antiforte
Hello.

You might recognize me from my last post as the "desperation attempt to improve w/ mousepad". I've gotten one, and it has helped a lot. However, shortly after, it felt like I hit yet another wall in improving. Thus, I decided to end this madness and ask you: the community, to give your opinion.

I enlist 3 possible solutions:
1. Play more, then take a short break: I read that some people turn out to improve a lot more if they rest after a long period of playing, rather than if they continued on playing. Perhaps I should actually play more then take some breaks playing the game?

2. Get a better, comfortable setup: Maybe, this is one of the biggest walls in my improvement: a bad setup. My tapping arm could get RSI at any moment, and my aiming arm doesn't even have the room to move; I resort to using my wrist/fingers as a method of aiming (which sometimes ends badly). Perhaps if I coerce my parents to buy a better setup, then I can actually improve?

3. Realize that I've hit my physical limits, and stop playing osu! for a while?: I'm not that physically fit, and I realize that many professional players/friends that pass me are either associated with sports/live a healthy life. Given that it could take some time before I can adjust to a healthier lifestyle, I may consider leaving osu! for quite some time, or even leave it as a whole and move on with life.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this. osu! has truly been a competitive yet friendly experience for me, and I don't want it to end here.
Sup A Noob
2. But you don't have to coerce if you can work for it.
Topic Starter
Antiforte

Sup A Noob wrote:

I'm below 18, how do I work for it? :)
Anyway, thanks for giving a quick opinion.
LoliPantsu
you can just play for fun instead of ranks, ive done that for the most part
Asaiga
Try other mods or do mapping instead :3

And comeback to osu! after a while, you will automatically improve... magically. If not, then you can quit.
Hiro-Senpai
I strongly dissagree with the 3rd "solution"
For me it is just a simple excuse for "why you are not improving". There are no clear limits right now in osu. Players are getting better
and better everyday. Think about it, why there are so many pro players at different sports. Like thousands of good players, millions. Same thing with osu
There are no physique limitations there is only hard work and practice. And you are not definetly limited at this rank
For me it looks like it's your mindset that causes the problem. You think too much about stuff like improvement, RSI etc.
So if you think that you hit a wall you will definetly not improve.
StephOsu
i would suggest a mix of 1st and 2nd solution
sure comfy space helps A LOT and usually taking a long break act as a soft reset on your muscle memory (at least for me) which can aid in improving
Sayorie
Improvement comes incrementally, and you should just play more.
Topic Starter
Antiforte
Thanks for the support, everyone!

I guess #2 is the most popular choice, with #1 following second.

Now that I've been discouraged from leaving osu!, it's time to finally get my parents to buy a better setup. You won't know how bad my current setup is. :)

I literally have to play with the mouse on my table's open-air drawer, all the way in with a barrier hanging on the top. Now, when I try to use my mouse to play osu!, my wrist bumps into/gets caught in the barrier so much, I'm surprised I haven't gotten CTS from it yet. Oh yeah, it also restricts my wrist's movement range, eventually messing with my aim when my mouse drifts ever so closely to the barrier.
Yolshka
TBh your play on shoujo satori was from 2 weeks ago, and it was good enough to make it high on your top ranks.
Not to mention that it's not easy at all, I really have a hard time holding combos despite being somewhat higher ranked.
I don't particularly agree with any of your points though., especially not the 3rd.
Practice practice.
Walls are fine though, it's the best time to improve.
Xyrus_old_1

Arthraxium wrote:

4. Improvement comes incrementally, and you should just play more.
You'll hit walls all the time. There will always be a limit on how high a BPM you can stream. There will always be a limit on how fast and how far you can jump. There will be a limit on how fast you can read.

Play more to push your limits higher.
Sup A Noob

[-Haqua-] wrote:

Sup A Noob wrote:

I'm below 18, how do I work for it? :)
Anyway, thanks for giving a quick opinion.
Surely even in the Phils you can get a part-time? Just asking though.
E m i

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I strongly dissagree with the 3rd "solution"
For me it is just a simple excuse for "why you are not improving". There are no clear limits right now in osu. Players are getting better
and better everyday. Think about it, why there are so many pro players at different sports. Like thousands of good players, millions. Same thing with osu
There are no physique limitations there is only hard work and practice. And you are not definetly limited at this rank
For me it looks like it's your mindset that causes the problem. You think too much about stuff like improvement, RSI etc.
So if you think that you hit a wall you will definetly not improve.
There are physique limitations man I lost all my skill when I lost weight xd
Hiro-Senpai

Momiji wrote:

There are physique limitations man I lost all my skill when I lost weight xd
Holy Momiji, u what xDD
Everyday i learn stuff from the internetz ;P
Today i learnt that weight matters in osu xP
E m i
Noo you didn't
But muscle matters in osu so I should eat something besides sweets
Totally unrelated maybe
Rhonin
here comes dat boi
Dazardz
I'm sure you would improve quicker if you stopped focusing on only your skill or rank, and started playing for fun. It's as simple as play more, get better. But if you're constantly waiting to notice some improvement instead of letting it happen by you just playing, it will likely happen slower.
vsprite
take a short break, then play more
mizuki-chan
"Feels like I always hit a wall in improvement" = just climb over that wall without recognizing it while you enjoy the game :)
-Makishima S-
Didn't got any pp in past months = doesn't mean i hit a wall.
Same goes to you.
Just practice, play for fun, forget that thing like pp exist, enjoy circles. Every circle properly clicked makes you stronger.
At some point you will catch this road of pp rain and get your rank what you deserve.
Barusamikosu
If you can't farm PP maps then it's time to farm the graveyard maps.
I Give Up
I don't enjoy this game as much anymore = rank froze. gg
Xyrus_old_1

KukiMonster wrote:

I don't enjoy this game as much anymore = rank froze. gg
So as long as I keep enjoying the game, the PP will keep raining down on me? Nice. :)
I Give Up
No. Good players always tell you "pls enjoy game" but bottom line is they can enjoy it because they are already good at it.
Hiro-Senpai
My anwser for hitting a wall is..... YOU SHOULD HIT THIS DAMN WALL HARD AF TIL IT BREAKS, that is what building companies do and they dont complain while destroying something. Oh.. and train more.
Training is the key to succses
dung eater
If you want to get better at clicking circles, get better at clicking circles. It's mostly just clicking circles and being aware of how you suck and then trying to not suck like that so much while clicking circles.

There are no walls or sudden breakthroughs that happen quickly. Practicing things is not a waste. If you feel uncomfortable and strained (mentally or physically) when practicing something, it's gonna have some effect.

Try to find the motivation to play from within, not from some external thing like pp or someone telling you to do it.

Playing offline can be helpful because you can shut down external factors (pp, multi, people) and need to find a reason to just click circles and the motivation to get better at it.
Sporadik
To your possible solutions, here are my replies
1. I tried taking a break, but every time i go back to osu!, like every single day, my streaming goes from 200bpm yesterday to <150bpm this morning, then i work it up again, to repeat the cycle, I broke this cycle by going for FD4D, 600ppMonstrataMap, and Blue Zenith a couple of tries, like two each, and it got me back to 200bpm streaming. When I took a break, i felt lazy tbh of playing the game. So don't take a break yet .
2. Ahh the sickness of us filipinos :D, this is what i also believed in before i got a mech kb and tab, that equipment makes you better, It backfired, because when I got them, I improved, but i hit a wall again, and i have nothing to look up to now, I have a tab, and kb, WHY AM I STILL A NOOB? So "playing more" is the only assurance that you have in improving. I play with laptop btw :D
3. Looking at how you react to the wall in front of you already, you shouldn't stop playing for a while. If you come back a few weeks/months later, you'll be discouraged that you lost ranks and that climbing up this rank cliff would seem pretty hard, because of lost skill. You should stop if you are overly lethargic tho, but i'm assuming you aren't, lol.

My solution currently (stuck at rank 32k) = PLAY MULTIPLAYER!!! Because there, even if you broke combo, you could still have something to look up to, getting a place in the results, which is good because you would stick through playing throughout the whole beatmap. Add me if ye want. I nid friends to play multi with ;w;

I know this thread has been on for a week, so idk really how you are doing right now. Goodluck to you and your adventures in this tormenting but fun game called "osu!"
PS. pls enjoy gaem :D
-Ene-_old_1
I hit my wall a while ago.
I just keep playing...get better eventually maybe.
Do the same
show more