forum

MAXIMUM THE HORMONE - A-L-I-E-N

posted
Total Posts
show more
-Sh1n1-

Monstrata wrote:

That said, lets await Kagetsu's reply now and give this thread a break. Thanks everyone for participating
GUYS PLEASEE!!
DeviousPanda

Gokateigo wrote:

osu! is a community based game, if a huge part the community doesn't like a map (obvious in this cse, seiously look at the user rating) the map shouldn't be ranked, especially when it uses such a controversial mapping
This is completely wrong, the only thing that is considered when getting a map ranked is the ranking criteria, user rating means absolutely nothing in terms of rankability. There are BN's for a reason, if everyone in the community had the ability to affect the ranking process then it wouldn't work as well
Kurai
Just throwing things I believe should really be fixed. I did not take into account the "beauty" of the patterns.

[Stop! Stop Winny Upload!!]
  1. 01:40:844 (2) - Overlapped by the HP bar with the default skin.
  2. 01:58:499 (1) - Shouldn't be a normal finish?
  3. 02:27:195 (1,2,3,4) - I really dislike how those kick sliders are overlapped by the previous ones. 1 also slightly overlaps 3 and 2 overlaps 4 as well. I understand you probably did that on purpose, but it's hardly sightreadable and more confusing than anything when you could have made it easier to read just like 02:28:885 (1,2,3,4) - .
  4. 02:37:902 (2,3,4) - Slightly overlapped by the HP bar with the default skin.
  5. 02:40:244 (2) - Slightly overlapped by the HP bar with the default skin.
  6. 02:56:316 (1) - Slightly overlapped by the HP bar with the default skin.
  7. 02:56:786 (1) - Slighlty overlapped by the score nulbers with the default skin.
  8. 04:22:012 (2) - Almost under the HP bar grr
  1. I really dislike when objects are put just next to the bottom border of the screen because 1. it's not that comfortable to play 2. it's sometime overlapped by the little accuracy bar. Here's a list of the objects placed way too close to the bottom border of the screen, moving them some grids up should do the trick, it's not like you have to care much about the aesthetics of the map xp:

1. 00:51:250 (1) -
    2. 00:56:007 (3,5,1) -
    3. 00:59:022 (1) -
    4. 01:01:794 (3,5) -
    5. 01:31:862 (3) -
    6. 01:33:991 (1) -
    7. 01:35:058 (3) -
    8. 01:58:499 (1) -
    9. 04:45:311 (1) -
I don't mind rebubbling this if I am allowed to.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
It really seems like the community hates this map huh...

UndeadCapulet wrote:

this is sick

Liiraye wrote:

I love maps that go from really fast to really slow, especially towards the end.

Even though this is too hard for me to enjoy, I think arguing that the easy part would somehow arbitrarily make the map bad is silly. Having your only point being 6* would be better than 8* doesn't help much. That could go for ANY hard map out there, it doesn't say much about the map itself.

eeezzzeee wrote:

ya. i like the contrasting aesthetics of this map btw

bbj0920 wrote:

what the actual fuck is this

nice concept though

Pereira006 wrote:

we did make more ugly, Shame question where you from ?

irc
20:36 Pereira006: LET'S DO THUS
20:37 *Monstrata is editing [https://osu.ppy.sh/b/978026 Maximum the Hormone - A-L-I-E-N [Stop! Stop Winny Upload!!]]
20:37 Monstrata: 8.5 stars lmaooo
20:37 Monstrata: ahahahah
20:40 Pereira006: 00:48:737 (2) - that ugly lol
20:40 Monstrata: xD
20:40 Monstrata: make it uglier?
20:41 Pereira006: yes like this 00:42:090 (3) -
20:41 Pereira006: pls
20:41 Monstrata: looool
20:41 Monstrata: oka
20:41 Monstrata: y
20:41 Monstrata: :D:DD
20:43 Monstrata: http://puu.sh/pzPLu.jpg
20:43 Monstrata: am i doing this right?!
20:43 Pereira006: GOOD JOB
20:43 Pereira006: 01:41:058 (3) - i suprise you didn't hat NC
20:43 Pereira006: WHY ?!"
20:44 Monstrata: oh
20:44 Monstrata: right
20:44 Monstrata: omg
20:44 Pereira006: TELL ME
20:44 Monstrata: do you think i should NC 01:41:272 (5) - too?
20:44 Monstrata: xD
20:44 Pereira006: 01:46:531 (2) - well BPM change is huge
20:44 Pereira006: NC ?
20:45 Pereira006: i don't know, there lot jump actually you don't NC
20:45 Pereira006: bu you can that NC
20:45 Pereira006: 01:49:654 (4) - ^ same NC
20:46 Monstrata: okay
20:46 Pereira006: well just saying missing NC
20:46 Pereira006: example 01:48:572 (1) orz
20:47 Monstrata: ya
20:47 Monstrata: its hard here cuz of all the bpm shifts
20:47 Pereira006: ya i know
20:48 Pereira006: i wonder other why didn't NC example 01:53:585 (2) -
20:48 Pereira006: but actually that is fit song ...
20:48 Pereira006: i don't know... i wonder other BN see that
20:48 Pereira006: or qat
20:48 Pereira006: OR LOCTAHV
20:51 Pereira006: lmo
20:53 Pereira006: that all
20:53 Monstrata: o lol okay gimme a sec
20:54 Monstrata: bonsai mention 04:37:266 (3) - is too early so im going to get a better offset reset
20:55 Pereira006: ayy
21:00 Monstrata: okay moved it to 04:37:276 -
21:00 Monstrata: +10 ms
21:00 Pereira006: ónly that ?
21:00 Monstrata: should be enough
21:00 Pereira006: ARE U REALYIDFSIFDGBSF SURE =!
21:00 Pereira006: ?!
21:01 Monstrata: and also 04:37:763 (1) -
21:01 Pereira006: lol
21:01 Monstrata: shifted offset for the "stop"
21:01 Monstrata: cuz i told pishifat i wanted to follow instruments
21:01 Monstrata: but i guess for those S T O P sliders i want to follow vocals
21:01 Pereira006: i don't you follow
21:01 Monstrata: the song's vocals and instruments are on different offsets so im just shifting them to vocal offset instead of instrument lol
21:01 Pereira006: but the bpm or offset
21:01 Pereira006: should be snap correct
21:02 Monstrata: yep
21:02 Pereira006: if there beat
21:02 Pereira006: then Beat > allthing
21:02 Pereira006: if no beat, only instrumental
21:02 Monstrata: well, it depends what you want to follow tho xD
21:02 Pereira006: then instrumental > all things
21:02 Monstrata: Vocal beat and Drum beat is like 10 ms different
21:02 Pereira006: ya i know
21:02 Pereira006: but is better if you put snap correct is beat
21:02 Monstrata: but yea 99% of map is following beat/drum beat/ instrument beat
21:02 Pereira006: well if you wanna snap vocal or instrumental
21:03 Pereira006: is risky guidelines
21:03 Monstrata: i just change for 04:33:754 (1) - 04:35:730 (1) - 04:37:763 (1) - 04:39:787 (1) -
21:03 Monstrata: everything else is beat. just those 4 sliders are vocal
21:03 Pereira006: did u update ?

#bubble 1

Enkidu wrote:

this is a legendary map, have a kudosu star, this deserves a rank, arguably the best map i've seen in my two long years playing this game : ^)

edit: i'm serious i want to see this ranked lol

CelsiusLK wrote:

well
if the map is intend to be ugly then saying this map is so ugly might be a compliment instead xd

#Mind = Blown

the guitar intro sound like 1/3 for me tho lmao

Desperate-kun wrote:

Grand mapping. This is exactly what my interpretation of this song would look like, except I wouldn't be able to pull it off and finish it. Also everyone complaining about the slidershapes being 'ugly' should calm down and think for a moment. The sliders are just as 'ugly' as the song, both in a good way.

EDIT: Also, please stop saying it goes against any 'standards of quality'.

Spaghetti wrote:

ok what u guys dont understand is that if the map was the same without the ugly sliders you wouldnt be complaining :\

VINXIS wrote:

it was made to look like shit/for aesthetic purposez not to be the ahrdest ranked map u can ask monstrata huimself

if som parts that actualy "boost" sr play lik shit hed proly chang it..

snoverpk wrote:

this entire thread is a bunch of nonsensical arguing
i mean seriously listen to yourself "ewww this map isn't aesthetic where are the qats pls only aesthetic we need triangles"

Broodich wrote:

this map is rly fun i hope it gets ranked :D

Bonsai wrote:

Hello, I am a completely uninvolved BN who has never M4M'd with any other BN since he became BN and I just wanted to say that I like this map and I hope it gets ranked soon once the timing-issues have been fixed

ok cya guys

Illkryn wrote:

hey guys look at me im in a drama thread

if it was bubbled and you don't like it help it improve?

i think im saying this in every drama thread now but if you don't like it, ignore it.

i looked at the map and i dont rly mind tbh i want it to rank so i can get a phatty pass on it tbh

also all u slow noobs always so emotional over maps u cant play xddd

Spaghetti wrote:

i dont understand why ugly sliders = bad quality it makes no sense lol

captin1 wrote:

i love when people who don't understand anything that they're talking about try and criticize a map for doing what the creator intended. the messy sliders absolutely fit the style of the song, so stop being a bunch of r/osugame shitlords and take a hike. there's no reason to say that sliders done erratically mean that the "map quality" is low, if you think that you're completely shallow.

gl monstrata hope these people leave you alone soon

Haruto wrote:

i feel so sad to monstra who had taken all of his effort for this map.

i still dont understand why this shouldnt be ranked/qualified, there is no unrankable stuff on the map anyway. it is didnt play well like i expect but please respect the mapper ;;

gl monstra, i hope those guys will realize themself and can leave you alone soon :(

CypCypCyprian wrote:

holy fuck it's actually not bad

Nevo wrote:

Random new mapper strolling by, but I since I don't want to say anything because of my experience I love how you spelled stop at the end :D Past that I want to see this ranked really bad.

HabiHolic wrote:

Star. good luck!

StarrStyx wrote:

I just love it when ppl say mapping isnt art l o l
How come it isnt? Its a form of creativity after all XD

-kevincela- wrote:

I haven't been following the situation, but the last post just feels so wrong that i somehow have to reply in a way or another.

Sophia wrote:

If I smear you with elephant feces and cover you in duck feathers while singing the lyrics to Pensamento Tipico de Esquerda Caviar wearing a watermelon around my neck in front of a cheering crowd that would be an incredibly creative way of publicly humiliating you and making myself look like a retard and that is in no way art.
Let's just skip this part, which is nonsensical and also quite embarassing.

Sophia wrote:

But let's amuse yourselves that mapping is "art", even for a bit.
Let's pick a dictionary and search for the word "art". Here is the definition, according to Oxford Dictionaries (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... nglish/art):

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination
What is a map, if not an expression of somebody's imagination and skill? If we also take the fact that mapping is based on music, which is by some considered as the most direct type of art, then we can say that mapping is also an art. This is based on a DEFINITION, so I don't think there's really much to say about this!

Sophia wrote:

Do you think mapping is a form of art which could even one day hope to compare to literature?
Why are you even comparing mapping to literature? It's like comparing engraving to music, they have nothing in common except for the fact they're both art expressions. They have completely different audiences as well as intentions, why the heck would you do this? lol

Sophia wrote:

I'll be looking for the day you mapping the next TV Size Anime Opening by LiSA makes an impact in society or any form of culture in the world in a relevant way.
Even a tv size map can be art, it would probably "low quality" art, but it's an interpretation of a song by somebody nonetheless, thus it is art. Also, do you really think art's purpose is to impact society in any way? Haven't you studied the Aesthetic and Romantic movements, where writers wrote mostly just for themselves, recluding themselves from the outer society? Only some art currents have this purpose of "impacting" someone, it's still mostly something depending from the subject who wants to create that piece of art for his own reasons.

I don't know the context in which this whole discussion has been put into, but whatever conception somebody has on an object can be considered as art, even if we're talking about mapping. Hell, Duchamp went as far as saying that art can be a mere process of selection, instead of creation!

The OT ends here for me, I hope you understood what I meant and have a good day.

melloe wrote:

estellia- wrote:

already missing the point, so many things have been brought up about this map and you're neglecting everything else

people have already time and time again stated the fact that monstrata contradicted himself by saying its a map he made for "lolz" and yet still has serious meaning behind it, and somehow that meaning is some shitty excuse of "philosophy". boi, if it were anyone who prompted the "artsy" argument first it'd be monstrata trying to be edgy and defending himself in the shittiest way possible lol. the fact that people are still defending monstrata is such a joke.

all i'm typing out here is an opinion. as much as i see no value in monstrata's map, perhaps you see no value in my argument. many things to mention about what you said about what i said but i'm seriously too lazy lol. typing out arguments is a pain in the ass, especially when it won't make sense to you anyways
There is value in your argument in that it brings up (and is itself) a kneejerk reaction for many people who encounter something they find unfamiliar or ugly, which is to promptly slap the label "art" on it and declare it pretentious frivolity. Is it a logically sound argument? No, I don't think so.

You also have to understand that when Monstrata waxes poetic in his long posts that he is meming. He's invoking Horace (he literally said "yolo" in his post), he's posting huge walls of quotes from Woody Allen and Confucious, he linked Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful." He actually posted the actual god damn Tatoe song. All these posts are not "Philosophy," they are "Memes." I really don't know how any of you can think he's actually being serious when he says those things.

His map isn't a sternfaced, semantic composition on death and its meaning. That's what he's saying when he wants people to laugh at/with the map. It's kind of a silly map with silly sliders, and the song itself is pretty out there and wild. It's an interesting map for people to say, "haha wow this is kinda weird/cool." That's what he means when he says laugh. He's not hoping that people think it's utter crap and ridicule the living shit out of it.

It's not a complete mess of a map. He's already said that "there's already enough structure involved, both in the consistency of my rhythm choices, and the flow/movement choices between these patterns" and has chosen the sliders to be messy out of everything else. There's method and reasoning that has gone into the mapping, it's not a throwaway joke. Does this mean that the map is above criticism? Of course not. There are things I don't like about it and have brought up that he has seriously responded to, and other criticism that he is still now dealing with where he doesn't even once mention philosophy.

It's okay to criticize the map. But we should begin by viewing the map as what it simply is, which is "messy sliders for a messy song." There's a lot of ways you can go from there. Maybe the sliders are TOO messy, maybe the sliders are messy in the wrong way, maybe they come across as lazy instead of messy. Maybe you disagree with the rhythm choices, the flow, the bad blankets. That's where you should start when you begin to criticize the map, and if Monstrata doesn't respond to your satisfaction then that's fine. But you have to know that if your purpose in criticizing the map is to make it exactly how you want because you don't like so many things about the map and you want him to make the sliders all pretty and the map all neat, then short of him bending over and letting you backseat map for him, you are not going to get what you want.

If you notice the types of criticism he has been responding to and how he has responded to it, you'll notice a pattern. Any stupid, ideological qualms about the map, he has responded with in a way that he feels the response is deserving of: equally ideological, equally vague, equally unspecific. But if you actually get down and talk about, say, red nodes and white nodes, he will respond in the same terms. Same with actual mods.

And "it won't make sense to you anyway?" Seriously? What kind of puerile grade school jab is that? I suppose next you'll be just responding with a short post: "too long didnt read i kno im better then u anyway xd"

In conclusion, can we really all just stop screaming out "ART!! ART!! ART!!" and make some more productive arguments? Because there are more productive arguments to be made. And if Monstrata is uncompromising and doesn't get anywhere with his map, that's on him. But we first have to give the mapper a little room for himself and stop trying to enforce our arbitrary standards on him for every little thing.

FriendoFox wrote:

The map is fun, it just feels.. overmapped at some places
If I was good at modding I'd do it, but I'd probably only be a waste of time on reading, the only thing I don't like is the sliderjump-ish-parts, but that's just me.

appleeaterx wrote:

Changed metadata, fixed another snap issue. The slider designs have been explained in details in the post above, let's see how this goes.
Also, MA´s weird concurrent thing seems like a bug.
Rebubbled #1.

Yuii- wrote:

So, we discussed some patterns, but... we didn't really fix anything, it was most likely pure clarification.

fradiger wrote:

While I don't agree with mappers editing mp3s to push their songs into the marathon category rather than having to map a full spread, complaining about it in this thread will just make you look stupid.

I think the song is perfectly fine, it's music, it has a beat and a melody, and therefore can be adequately mapped. This map meets all of the ranking criteria, isn't over the top ridiculous, and while it does look ugly (which mind you, is the entire purpose of the mapping style that Monstrata chose to use), it is passable (perhaps even fcable).

The best part is it's a consistent group of people who talk crap in these threads. Mappers shouldn't have to put up with this stuff, their map is their opinion, and while everyone is entitled to have one, and you can debate back and forth about them, you can't just blow off the mapper's effort with these stupid backhanded comments like "remap" or "wow this map is BAD." That's like telling an artist that you don't like their painting, and then when they ask why you respond with "it's just bad and I don't like it." If you disagree, please provide some sort of argument that makes sense, and if the mapper tells you to shove it, there's nothing you can do about it. If you don't like the map, don't install it, don't play it. Every day there are probably 3-4 maps ranked that you never even hear about or play, just turn this map into another one of those. It's not like ranking maps like these will destroy the mapping community here in osu!, so don't act like it.

Also the amount of >20k ranked players commenting on the playability of this map is far too high and honestly just silly.

Secretpipe wrote:

That reflects the song's atmosphere at least \:D/

I really liked the second half of it tho

Underforest wrote:

congratz o/
come on, i'm ready for love :3

Edited per request

DualAkira wrote:

Congrats! Fun map.

VINXIS wrote:

This is a really nice map! Congratulations Monstrata!

Rapthorn wrote:

I would post a mod, but I don't have much to contribute with. Map is great, congratulations on qualify!

AustinsGuitar wrote:

love the second part of the map. Maybe a larger spred on the streams at 03:38:822 - and 03:38:822 - .... just think it would add to a equalization of difficulty level and make that part of the map not 100%'able by everyone playing it .-. GREAT MAP KEEP IT UP!

jawns wrote:

Warpyc wrote:

Obviously the biggest issue with this map is that it's made intentionally worse looking, which is why people dislike it so much, its not like they downvote the map because they dislike Monstrata, actually the community loves monstrata or well at least used to. They are simply trying to make their voices heard in this.

It's obvious that this map has an issue so why not fix the issue instead of ignoring it and shrugging it off with some far fetched it fits the music or whatever, honestly how thick headed can you be, learn to accept some feedback, get off your high horse and fix the actual problem with this map.

I think most of us knows that there lies a good map below this, why dont you bring that map forward instead of this heap of drama and hate that you've managed to bring upon yourself.
Why does a map have to be beautiful for it to be good?

hi-mei wrote:

well i think this map is decent to be reanked.
but for real there will be no players to actually play this (or even pass)

DiamondRain wrote:

Pacemaker wrote:

Wtf does that even mean. Collectively hating/liking something does not equal circlejerking. Even good mappers get shit ratings when they fuck up

What it means? It just means that this beatmap was specifically targeted by the osu reddit community to downvote it, if you dont see that, then you're a sad person with low intellect, which you are anyways when I look at your poor attempts to "burn" people. Idk this map, don't really care either but hating on something just because it gets qualified is just stupid. I don't go around and tell people to stop eating tomatoes just because I don't like them.

What's so damn hard in avoiding something you don't like? Your opinion isnt superior to anyone else's so don't act like you're some godsent messias.

RoX2_Fang wrote:

LOVE this song
LOVE this map

Franc[e]sco wrote:

I've played this on ht and hthr, and IMO the jumps don't feel like "tag4" jumps at all. they're fast, sure, but that's simply because of the sheer speed of the song. I think the map is overall pretty enjoyable even if it's incredibly hard

jesse1412 wrote:

Look, this map looks like shit and plays like butter. The jumps flow inexplicably well, the only jumps that don't feel like butter to me are - guess what - the hardest jumps in the map; the reason? I'm no where near good enough to play them. Maybe people should keep that in mind when thinking about this map. Worth noting that I even thing the 1/4 sliders play incredibly well too, everything works fine.

The map plays smooth and looks shit. Nothing about this plays/reads badly, if it's unrankable, it's because of a lack of blankets and other redundant aesthetic things that people care about and maybe a few small issues that need to be forked out with a comb.

Personally I could not give two fucks about aesthetics if it the map plays well.

Also please don't compare this map to anything wings has done, this map plays like a fairly standard map in my opinion; relatively easy to read with natural flowing triangle jumps. It's just ugly as fuck and people seem to think ugly mapping is "20XX never before seen shitmapping".

EDIT: AR9.2 was cooler.

Varqaaa wrote:

The triplets around 02:37:015 (2,3,4) feel overmapped to me. Why put them in there? There's nothing corresponding in the song.

In general though, I don't see what all the fuss is about. The spacing and jerkiness is warranted. Have you listened to the song? It thrashes about and shifts gears in a deliberately grotesque and sporadic manner which the map mirrors effectively. "It's hard" "it's bad" "it's different" "I don't like it"... these are not sufficient grounds to write off a map.

FriendoFox wrote:

The map is fine, why does it have to look good? Aslong as it's fun to play noone should give a shit
I at first thought this map is bad, just to join the hate-train, but I gave it a try myself and this map is actually fun, the only thing I don't like are the "slider-jump-streams", as I like to call them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqJDAelxRQ

Graf wrote:

Never had more fun on a map.

grumd wrote:

good map when qual???

WISPG_G wrote:

Rank it already, please ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Lilynn wrote:

This is incredible! ^-^

Its what I imagine mapping would be like right now if the general "meta" for mapping evolved in a completely different way than it did.

Its really tempting to just look at this map and say, "Shit map xddxDX; lel" but I honestly can't bring myself to even call this bad, or average.
Its mapped in such a way that it stretches the boundaries of what is creative or innovative and what is just downright...insane
Its probably the most creative map I've ever seen...you look at what you actually did in order to create this map and have it flow in the way it did and it becomes clear that there was intention behind this madness.

Art.

GhostZ wrote:

Really Beautiful Map

Ranked when

Renumi wrote:

GhostZ wrote:

Really Beautiful Map

Ranked when
I agree!

grumd wrote:

psl rank??? wtf

Lunicia wrote:

rank pls thx

MaddaFakka-sama wrote:

Bakari wrote:

Removed a few irrelevant posts.

If you have something informative to post, read through the previous posts first. Otherwise, don't post at all.
You want this ranked as much as we do right? FeelsBadMan

Hobbes2 wrote:

at least now people wont say "but you're dethroning mazzerin!!"

good luck monstrata, I personally really like this map and wish you the best.

Varqaaa wrote:

glad to see Promethean Kings brought this back

Monstrata I'll be honest this is unironically my favorite map you've ever made by a pretty large margin, best of luck with rank

FoxyGrandpa wrote:

Best of luck on this monstrata!

Hopefully it'll go well now that we have a 9* ranked

DanDaBruh wrote:

i really want this ranked

Arphimigon wrote:

Thanks for bringing this back.
Wish the best of luck, hope it pleases everyone (or at least more than before).

(ps: I like ar9.7 because I can see more of the aesthetics, and that is a key factor in the map \ o /
also patterns play more into the playing of the map here rather than individual notes, so lower AR helps in that case)

fastmarkus wrote:

Good luck on trying to get this ranked, it's an ugly beautiful map (if that makes sense)!

The only thing which bothers me is the fact that there should be a complete mapset for this one (come on, it would make a lot of people happy/happier!), since the song is shorter than 5 minutes, even though the current map is not. I read the discussion before, but I believe if this gets a free pass, it will show few flaws on the ranking system.

But I really mean good luck! It would be lovely watching high ranked players play this one :D

Weriko wrote:

rank it, p l e a s e

Tanomoshii Nekojou wrote:

Please monstrata sama continue making this kind of maps~... <3

Scarlet Evans wrote:

Good luck, if you try to rank it someday!

destroyerwilly wrote:

Don't hate on map, is gud!

-Sh1n1- wrote:

:o let's go!!

Sotarks wrote:

Go go go! *Grabbing popcorns*

M a r v o l l o wrote:

Oh, you are trying to rank it again. Best of luck owo

Gabe wrote:

You can do it!

1597534268 wrote:

dooooooooooo it :) :) :)

osuskrub wrote:

rank this pls

Genjuro wrote:

nice map, i like the concept used where the map is ugly to go with the ugly song, gl with rank

Left wrote:

i hated this map before, but now i support this map lol

Illkryn wrote:

fun map gl

:)

Mini Gaunt wrote:

M a r v o l l o wrote:

I think everyone can make mistake, so imo Kagetsu should remove his veto because he didn't provide any really valid reason. Sad that I amn't a member of BNG, I would nominate this. And yeah, 800th post hooray :roll:
Yeah, I think this veto was uncalled for especially without any reason given but because Kagetsu thinks it is too hard for top players.
And you got sniped on that 800th post real good.

Mentai wrote:

Left wrote:

Pachiru wrote:

With all the shitmaps we can see nowadays, I think this beatmap can reach the ranked section.
Because the map itself isn't bad, and the contrast between the both part is very well done. If it's how he want to express his point of view about the music, why are you trying to change Monstrata's mind?

Gokateigo wrote:

If you make a contrast with beautiful/ugly mapping you obviously think one part is ugly and the other one is beautiful, seems obvious. He can make a contrast with difficulty, like Mazzerin did with PK, it'll be way better than this
I don't think he wanted to make it ugly, but more something weird, fast and tricky, as the song would be. As I said before, it's his POV on this song.

DeviousPanda wrote:

Gokateigo wrote:

my opinion
This map sucks tbh, you shitmapped a huge part because you think metal is disgusting, Mazzerin maps death metal and thinks song representation is more important than aesthetics. His maps are NOT ugly af, they are a bit ugly sometimes (with really ugly sounds, not everything) but his style fits very well to metal, you should map something similar to his style in the "ugly" part and map ugly sliders when they are in the middle of the calm part because you can't change your style for 2 objects. If you map something like this I'll bee happy if it's ranked, it's just a random shit map atm for me
Telling him to map like mazzerin won't change anything, because this song is quite different to the stuff that mazzerin maps.

Monstrata didn't shitmap this map, he's explained quite clearly why he's mapped it the way this is, so stop tying to get him to change that because that's not going to happen

Ankanogradiel wrote:

Left wrote:

Tbh I never actually hated it but I can sort of understand that.
At first I thought "oh he is just trying to show that he can rank anything" but then I took a closer look.
Monstrata is making an effort to rank this and mapping it like that seems fitting for the music imo. You are all just creatin unnecessary drama.
Didn't find something wrong with the map.
In reality there isn't anything wrong with it than the fact that it's different in a way, and people need some time to digest it.
Unbubling for invalid reasons ain't gonna help either. Further discussion will only lead to more pointless arguments and salt.

AncuL wrote:

i'd say monstrata mapped the first half with such weird shaped sliders is because of how chaotic it is with many chaotic screamos all over the place, and i think monstrata had done it very masterfully. you can't compare this with mazzerin's maps because the songs he is mapping are so much better organized (and also not intended to be chaotic at the first place).. well i mean you don't find the vocalist throwing tantrums on songs mazzerin mapped

Seni wrote:

You don't have to be a chef to know the dish is bad.
but you need to be able to taste it to judge whether it's bad or not. if someone don't like eating vegetables, they would mostly say that every vegetable dishes taste bad

at first, i thought monstrata was just a jerk who can speedrank anything at his own will, but seeing this map further makes me understand how much effort he was putting into this map. good luck on ranking this!

Ampiduxmoe wrote:

i can't say i want this map to be ranked (it's fine for ranked section i guess), but i don't understand why people think this is unrankable.
Can you please say why it is unrankable? because sliders are ugly? well, they are fine because represent music almost perfectly. I can't see anything bad in expressing music through the visuals.
Some say this is unplayable. Oh, really? i had a pass on this map when i was practicing high bpm maps a lot. now im 18k btw (i didn't gain any ranks so i probably had same 4k pp back then). It's nowhere near unplayable, i really don't get this point.
so why it can't be ranked? can someone explain properly?

Gasai wrote:

Sucks that you apparently can't be original in map making. I feel most maps these days are just the same copy and paste patterns on different bpms (awks). I like the concept of a map being mapped based on how the song is. If the song sounds chaotic, I'd like to see a chaotic map. If the song is slow and soothing, I expect a soothing map. So, if you try to stifle mappers' creativity here, then what's going to happen in the future. If you're going to bubble or veto it, give good reasons that the mapper can actually consider and implement to make the map better and that 'better' being the 'better' in your opinion and not necessarily the thousands of people playing the game.
[]

Thank you for the support everyone! Also thank you to the 294 people who favourited the map, and 76 people who gave it a 10/10 rating.
Taboki
I don't get it, every time a map is unique people hate it, but people also hate the "same" maps all the time?
I can't play the map but I think it is unfair. I like the map.
Kynan
Gokateigo if cancerous people like you who can't even play the map weren't allowed to vote and appear in the "user rating", then we'd see a way more positive one. Using NF shouldn't allow people to rate the map IMHO.

Also for the BN who veto'd, I think the only thing that made this map hard (read unplayable cause that's the word he used) was the AR, which is now fixed and makes the map easier to read, and thus easier to play. I don't get what's wrong with the way he mapped this, and you all can't play neither Monstrata's style of mapping metal, nor Mazzerin's style of mapping metal, so you should stop comparing the two.

GL Monstrata
Gokateigo

Kynan wrote:

Gokateigo if cancerous people like you who can't even play the map weren't allowed to vote and appear in the "user rating", then we'd see a way more positive one. Using NF shouldn't allow people to rate the map IMHO.
I can play the map ht, ok ht/nomod are different things but it doesn't change the map + I forgot to vote 1 star
(and why am I cancerous I just gave my opinion and answered to salty guys)
donacdum
that monstrata salt

good map tho
Kynan

Gokateigo wrote:

Kynan wrote:

I can play the map ht, ok ht/nomod are different things but it doesn't change the map + I forgot to vote 1 star
Because of the way you keep repeating that the map is trash and that MAZZERIN THE GOD makes better metal maps.
They have different mapping styles ffs let him be.
DeviousPanda

Gokateigo wrote:

:thinking:
diraimur
i actually like this map, it represents the song pretty well!

good job monstrata
Gokateigo

Kynan wrote:

Gokateigo wrote:

Because of the way you keep repeating that the map is trash and that MAZZERIN THE GOD makes better metal maps.
They have different mapping styles ffs let him be.
I didn't say Mazzerin was a god, I said his style fits very well to metal, not like this trash style. I won't change my mind, stop talking about that
Kynan

Gokateigo wrote:

not like this trash style.
:thonkang: looks like this is a lost case, time to move on boyz
Linada

Gokateigo wrote:

I won't change my mind, stop talking about that
why are you even talking in the thread then LOL get the fuck out your "opinion" doesn't matter here
LowAccuracySS

Gokateigo wrote:

Instead of fucking around how about you actually make a mod and help improve the map instead of stating "I don't like it and you can't refute me because it's my opinion > : (( ( (( ("
Booze

Gokateigo wrote:

I didn't say Mazzerin was a god, I said his style fits very well to metal, not like this trash style. I won't change my mind, stop talking about that
your mind is garbage so stfu
Gokateigo

[ Space ] wrote:

Gokateigo wrote:

Instead of fucking around how about you actually make a mod and help improve the map instead of stating "I don't like it and you can't refute me because it's my opinion > : (( ( (( ("
Already modded it, waiting for answers

Linada wrote:

why are you even talking in the thread then LOL get the fuck out your "opinion" doesn't matter here
I tought you were in my blacklist

Kynan wrote:

looks like this is a lost case, time to move on boyz
You can't say it's a good style, it's ugly on purpose and as I said (too much times tbh but it looks like you love monstrata's dick) Mazz's maps aren't ugly (most of the time) and it fits to "ugly" songs. Now if you can't understand what I am saying just stfu
Swell
zzzzzz someone lock this thread until someone actually relevant has anything to say pls.
DeviousPanda

Gokateigo wrote:

You can't say it's a good style, it's ugly on purpose stfu
E X A C T L Y, you don't seem to understand that this is what monstrata wants, he made it ugly to fit the song, and him being able to do that when we know he can map other maps much 'cleaner' shows that this can't just be monstrata being lazy.

This map honestly looks ugly, and that's why I like it, it is the whole point of the map, and you honestly can't accept that, so just stop speaking please because it will get you nothing but hate from other people on this thread.

A map can be well made and ugly at the same time
Ephemeral
if you have nothing constructive to say - say nothing.

will start handing out large silences to people who don't understand this. contribute meaningfully to the map by helping out instead of arguing over each other's opinions plz
LimePixel
Honestly, can't pass the map but from playing with NF I really enjoyed it. It's pretty obvious why it's mapped so differently, and I think song representation is more important than aesthetics.

Small possible problems I noticed:
-02:56:316 (1) - This is touching the health bar slightly
-04:30:366 (3,4,5,6) - This felt odd, there's no major difference in anything for 04:30:610 (4) to be emphasized with higher spacing

I don't see why this wouldn't be rankable, since it accurately represents the song. Besides, only mapping in the usual 'safe' way (or pp mapping, with tv size songs) is going to result in player burnout and tons of the same map with different songs behind them.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Different mappers have different interpretations. This is a question about intepretation, not style. Clearly alien is not my regular mapping style. Mazzerin interprets metal songs through attention to patterning, spacing shifts, harsh flows. I interpret the metal section through harsh slider designs and aesthetics, however if you can play the map, you'll notice the flow is largely similar to my regular maps. Quite a few top players have agreed that it flows perfectly well and simply looks bad, but the entire premise is that through using slider leniency, and being able to recognise when you can use sliderball leniency, the ugly sliders will still give a clean movement that is predictable and straightforward.

If you replaced Mazzerin's maps with an mp3 for an intense piano song like iets say https://osu.ppy.sh/s/383094 or some other Louis Cyphre map, Mazzerin's map would still fit very well. This is because Mazzerin's aesthetics is not tied to the song, nor do his placements or choices of flow. Promethean Kings, Apparition, all these maps are part of Mazzerin's style of mapping. They are not bound only to the song he is mapping. They are habits and mapping philosophies, such as using progressively increasing/decreasing spaced streams, cross screen kicksliders that are pointed at each other's slider heads, using stationary streams that increase in spacing and angle, using circular and slider-converted streams etc...

If you want to analyze my map, you need to recognize that the slider aesthetic isn't a "style" and not something you can compare with other "styles". It's an intepretation of the song, and is therefore bound to the song. Replace the mp3 with another song of the same genre, and it won't work anymore. The ugly sliders work well because there is a juxtaposition to a more beautiful section later. If there was no beautiful section later, then there'd be nothing really to juxtapose the aesthetics. Then we'd have an issue because the map is only being ugly. There is much more at play here, and you should realize that with 50 odd pages of discussion your argument needs to be exceptional it you want it to be something that hasn't already been said a hundred times before.

In any case, I will reply to your mod later, for now, just sit back and farm some of my pp maps. There is no need to continue a pointless discussion when I've already promised a response to what actually matters.
qwr
Why these sliders look like some shit Larto would put in his maps

jk the map plays fine. Also kudos to you if you recognize the painful beatmap I screenshotted from
xDololow
It's possible to fc... with touchscreen and two tablets hehehe. :P
Mini Gaunt

Monstrata wrote:

The ugly sliders work well because there is a juxtaposition to a more beautiful section later. If there was no beautiful section later, then there'd be nothing really to juxtapose the aesthetics.
This right here is why this map should be ranked. The mapping and the song bring something special to the table that really has not been done before. This map is something far out there in terms of uniqueness and it is important that a gem such as this gets the recognition it deserves. Honestly? I am disappointed that this map had far too much resistance for no well explained reason.
Gokateigo
ok last post in this thread since all of you can't understand my point and I'm bored of repeating the same thing everything
  • I know this map is made to be ugly, I know a lot of people like it (even if the user rating says the opposite but whatever), I know Monstrata knows what he's doing with the editor so stop saying I'm an ignorant because you're wrong

BUT
  1. The gimmick is pushed too far sometimes, especially at the kickslider part : it can be ugly and good at the same time, I've already explained it in my mod, i won't say it again (fuck I'm lazy)
  2. The gimmick isn't used in some ugly parts, I looked at the map and modded it with the gimmick in head, sometimes the map has good patterns (perfect angles, flows perfectly...) in ugly parts like these perfect pentagons here 00:38:356 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) - or the squares here 03:45:634 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - it's not a really ugly part with the vocals etc, but it uses the same instruments + the high sound in the bg literally fuck your ears
  3. The gimmick is a bit useless/wrong : Ok, contrast, bla bla bla, I know, but the contrast is just obvious with the difficulty 8*/4* not obvious enough ? ok, there are a few ways to map metal like Mazzerin's style "omg you suck Mazz's dick kys" first : fuck you and it was an example, Maakeli is also a good metal mapper, pishi is a good metal mapper, Sayaka is a good metal mapper (restricted for shit but we're not here to talk about that). You get my point, there are other ways to map this and they're all better
  4. Some jumps are weird and uncomfortable : "it's the point of the map lol" It can be ugly and comfortable, some jumps look like normal patterns (triangles, stars,...) but with extended ds for spacing emphasis, back and forths/really sharp angles/wide angles are better than this imo and can be ugly
  5. Some patterns have nosense spacing : thinking especially about these 00:58:150 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - the DS goes at weird spots, it's just 2 (maybe 3) repeated sounds so the ds shouldn't change that much (+ 01:01:580 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - this one is just too spaced)
    I'm also thinking about this one 04:33:754 (1) - this part was just 2 sliders 1/2 for stop stop and it's reverse sliders at a random point
Ok this is literally my mod but extended, but now eveything is justified I guess (inb4 some fanboy saying I'm totally wrong) (I'll only answer to real posts now, not the usual "lol your opinion doesn't matter here")
Aezis

Gokateigo wrote:

Gasai wrote:

If you're going to bubble or veto it, give good reasons that the mapper can actually consider and implement to make the map better and that 'better' being the 'better' in your opinion and not necessarily the thousands of people playing the game.
osu! is a community based game, if a huge part the community doesn't like a map (obvious in this cse, seiously look at the user rating) the map shouldn't be ranked, especially when it uses such a controversial mapping
A huge part of the community doesn't have the skill required to even play this map, nor do most have enough mapping knowledge to grasp an understanding of what is exactly wrong with this map.
Gokateigo
AAAAH you answered while I was typing fuck
Finally a good explanation and not fanboys salt
I'm ok with it, ok I really don't like it and still disagree but it's explained correctly so meh
thanks for answering my mod
I don't farm your maps, I dislike them for being pp (I hate you ♥)
Logic Agent
i don't care about any of this drama but i think there's an aesthetic inconsistency you might consider changing unless it was intentional.

00:17:766 and 01:22:624 are obviously supposed to be similar with the whole guitar going ham and the vocals increasing in intensity, however in the first section you start using "ugly" 1/2 sliders way sooner than you do in the second section. 00:23:986 (5) Here is the first to show that some kind of aesthetic change is gonna start and then after that the last slider in every group of four is ugly.

01:30:362 (4) - but here you waited until pretty far into the section to start making slightly ugly sliders to indicate the change again, maybe cause the section itself is longer before the vocals start yelling again? i dunno, just something i thought i'd ask about. don't mind me if it was intentional/ you've already brought it up, but you could probably start doing slightly ugly ones 01:27:148 (5) here or something.

but yeah, good luck with... all this. my opinion on this map has changed significantly since i voted it a 1/10 almost a year ago
Mini Gaunt

Gokateigo wrote:

The gimmick isn't used in some ugly parts, I looked at the map and modded it with the gimmick in head, sometimes the map has good patterns (perfect angles, flows perfectly...) in ugly parts like these perfect pentagons here 00:38:356 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) - or the squares here 03:45:634 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - it's not a really ugly part with the vocals etc, but it uses the same instruments + the high sound in the bg literally fuck your ears
Not here to reply for monstrata but...

03:45:634 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - This is not an ugly part??? The percussion is gone from this section and the only thing that is playing is a simple (bass?) guitar. If you are trying to compare the two, I think 00:38:356 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) - is a fast build up but with percussion a guitar backing up the singer, the two parts are not alike. Monstrata said he was going to change it to something else anyway.
Kite
Thought I was in a HW map topic for a second there
GL with the map my boi, I can take a look in a bit if u care about another opinion
Natteke desu
wow i saw a dead Brayan

Map concept is nothing special and this can be ranked, see you later bob
the map is fun, just rank it fags
Shock

Opsi wrote:

There are very few maps (if there even are) like Alien, but tell me; is there another song like Alien? It's a fucking mess of exorcised screams that not even Mazzerin would map, that suddenly cuts out to a loli singing about...wanting to be kidnapped by an alien...? (whattheactualfuck.jpeg)
Experimental metal often has a lot of unpredictable rhythms to it. They're usually a sort of "controlled chaos" and not completely random, but if you think this is extremely cacophonous then I'd advise you to step outside of your musical comfort zone a bit.

Also, if I remember correctly, the "winny upload" bit refers to some sort of controversy in Japan regarding piracy.
MrMenda
I shouldnt be typing here as i'm not that much of an experienced mapper (not even close), but whatever. I still have an opinion

This map should be ranked, as it is another way of changing mapping. This is a different approach to the extremely good visuals we are trying to emphasize more into lately, there is no need to have cute sliders in every single song if the song is a experimental metal one. Having variety is never bad at all. If you dont like a map it is as simple as not playing it.

The excuse I've seen of "the sliders look like ones a new mapper would do" kinda falls apart, as they are executed logically and, what's more important in this community, consistently.

The map is well structured, as the more Chaotic part has more chaotic visuals and the "cuter" part has more pleasing ones, so the concept Monstrata is trying to show is pretty clear after all. I would complain about some 1/4 sliders being way to hard to be playable (yet i'm only a 55k scrub) in the chaotic parts.
Ora
i say just let the map through lol, its not like anyone's going to play it more than once anyways and we'll just see a few cool passes on it. Just get it over with and let it die
Kagetsu

Monstrata wrote:

@Kagetsu: A lot of analysis and discussion has gone into this map's patterning and playability so it is a disservice to everyone here if you just give a blanket statement that it's "unplayable" without giving specifics for me to explain to you.
please note that i mentioned the loved section with the sole purpose of proving that there was no decent scores on this map, i consider a map playable when the player can get 98% or more acc. this was definitely not the case.
if you want a deeper explanation about why the playability of this map is bad, i would have to say that it's a sum of things: first would be the editor limitations, you've stated that there are players who are capable of playing maps around this speed, the fact that you're not considering, though, is that they do it with dt, where you can play at higher ar and od. i'm remarking these two because i believe they have a lot to do with the map playablity. the current ar is far too low. it feels like playing a 190~ bpm map at ar 8.5 which is obviously not the best setting when it comes to smoothly read the patterns. it's debatable whether or not we should choose upon not the best way of making things because of the editor limitations, you might have your own opinion as well as i can have mine.
another point: we all know this a complex song, and as such, it will always tend to be harder to play than common songs, what i don't understand though, is why you're using such a bad transitions when changing the bpm, for example, on 02:55:471 - this section, the bpm increases by 14 units yet you decided to use full screen jumps, which aren't bad in paper, because the music is strong enough to support jumps, but the transition is just unpredictable. you could've been considered a smoother way to put these sections together, by using less spacing/pasive objects or whatnot.
i consider this specific pattern 02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) - as near to impossible to hit (unless you're using touchscreen), the distance is just too much and the rotations aren't the best either, you might argue that you're using "uncomfortable movement" in order to accentuate the music, but the truth is that the higher the bpm is, the less you feel the difference between awkward and non-awkward movements, this is because the bpm makes all the beats awkward to play already. the worst transition here would be 02:55:787 (2) - to 02:55:893 (1) - especially because the rotation changes on 02:55:893 (1) - which makes it very hard to hit. you might want to move 02:55:999 (2) - somewhere to the up side of the screen in order to "fix" that.
in any case, the distance is still something debatable, again, not because it isn't supported by the music, but rather because it's unplayable. i'm pretty sure there's no one that can consistently hit this pattern 3 times in a row when going throughout the entire map, otherwise prove me wrong.

i believe unplayable maps doesn't fit the ranked section, and that's why tag4 maps were moved to the loved one. believe it or not, your map shares some similarities with tag4 maps: difficult patterns, rough movements, high spaced objects combined with a very high object density in the screen (this due to low ar considering how fast the bpm is) etc.
now i'm not saying that mapping this song is completely impossible, but it would need a complete rework in order to make it playable, because nerfing some patterns would end up unbalancing the map.

about how countering the veto, i honestly think that we won''t reach an agreement, i'm just using my right to vote about whether or not this map should be qualified, i've decided upon no. the veto system is nothing more than a voting system after all.
kbd

Kagetsu wrote:

the current ar is far too low. it feels like playing a 190~ bpm map at ar 8.5 which is obviously not the best setting when it comes to smoothly read the patterns.
Isn't the map currently AR10? That's what it says for the current pending version lol.
Hopefully I'm not taking your statement out of context.
Izzywing

kobolddragon wrote:

Kagetsu wrote:

the current ar is far too low. it feels like playing a 190~ bpm map at ar 8.5 which is obviously not the best setting when it comes to smoothly read the patterns.
Isn't the map currently AR10? That's what it says for the current pending version lol.
He's saying that the liminations of the editor (AR 10) is the problem.
Kagetsu

kobolddragon wrote:

Kagetsu wrote:

in terms of approach rate, playing a 190 bpm 8.5 ar map with dt would be the same as a 285 bpm map with ar 10. that's what i meant to say.
show more