MAXIMUM THE HORMONE - A-L-I-E-N

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Hobbes2 wrote:

Hello I've come to save humanity

I actually irc'd with monstrata, but i wrote down all the points I made for clarity since it makes it easier for everyone to see whats changed without digging through a chatlog. ill let monstrata respond to this as usual so you guys can know why he rejected stuff that he did.

00:23:131 (1,2,3,4,5) - I think you could gradually make these more "ugly", (same with the later ones 00:24:842 (1,2,3,4,5) - etc etc) to ease into the "ugly" concept, instead of shooting it out all at once with 00:27:409 (1) - this mess. The vocals also kinda have that effect over time, so it would fit in that regard too. you do this later too (01:24:577 (2) -section) I think the current patterns are fine since there does need to be a reasonable baseline "structure" that gets dismantled. That said, I changed up two sliders to create small visual "hints" for the ugly stuff to come.
00:31:903 (3) - 00:31:475 (1,2,4) - are all quite clear in that the movement is downward, but because is particularly smooshed, i'd make 3 a bit more linear (while still ugly of course xd) Hmmm yea true, the movement is shorter compared to the others. Made the slider more straight.
00:36:111 - thought it weird that you skipped this vocal but the next measure maps it (00:37:715 (2,3,4)) The next measure is more intense and i'd like to create a rhythmic build up too. Next measure the pitch is noticeably higher and more stressed.
00:43:260 (5,1) - could be emphasized better, compared to these other downbeats yea
00:48:192 (3) - recommend splitting this into two, I like the repeat itself for the scream (+ the guitar is a bit more intense), but like the other guitar sounds, there's two of them on each white tick. so like things on 00:46:484 (3,4), etc, two repeat sliders would fit better here. like - Mmmm sure I can do that. Was mapping to the guitar whirring sound in the back, but i split it onto two 1/4 repeats in the later section so fixed this.
https://puu.sh/wP0rU/189f2a99b4.jpg
^Regarding this, it might also make sense to do it for the ones at like 00:29:347 (5), 00:31:049 (5), etc, since the guitar sound is the same. I think the sounds are different like, the guitar isn't as pronounced, and the hold is quite reasonable considering the density of instruments here and that buzzing sound at the back.
00:52:107 (1) - could be broken into circle+1/2 slider, consistent with...the rest of them in the area lol Yea i agree. Kept this originally because the vocal wasn't as pronounced.
00:53:096 (2) - this slider could be curved upward instead, its not a huge change but this would improve the flow from 1-2-3 in terms of allowing for better slider leniency. pretty optional lol Oh, yea good point
01:40:629 (1,2) - this gonna sound dumb but make 01:40:629 (1) - uglier than 2 because 1 still has the nasty screaming vocal whereas 2 goes back to the other one LOL okay sure.
01:46:197 (3,1) - move these closer? would be better for playability because of the timing. side note, 01:50:506 (3,1) - has a similar issue but the timing isnt as bad so..up to you on this one. same with 01:52:047 (3,1) - Yea, fixed these, ur right the timing makes the rhythm less predictable so lowering spacing helps players have more breathing room.
01:47:749 - shouldnt there be something mapped here? you skipped a sound in the guitar lol. not a lot of time until the offset shift so i can understand not mapping this tho, just wanna make sure its intentional The problem here is theres really not enough time to put something there and still expect players to click the next note, the rhythm isn't predictable due to the weirt timing. When pishi timed this he also recommended not mapping this and instead putting a larger spacing gap here to counteract the gap so thats basically what I did.
02:50:117 (2) - too clean, its part of the "ugly" combo and should be ugly made it ugly
02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) - I recommend starting this sequence on the top left, (so like 02:55:682 (1,2) - would be the first in the pattern), biggets reason is that the momentum the player has from 02:53:686 (1) - this super fast movement is better transitioned into the jump pattern if the first jumps are parallel to the slider. hope this makes sense lol, as it is now the momentum is kinda lost in the sharp switch in the angle. I think the current angle is quite reasonable... The player ihas a really fast downward movement built up from the repeat slider so the jump downward should be natural.
Also it sets up a nice angle for the final 3 jumps. Ehh... I can get some testplays if you think its a problem.
thanks for saving humanity from aliens
Izzywing
I think the current angle is quite reasonable... The player ihas a really fast downward movement built up from the repeat slider so the jump downward should be natural.
Also it sets up a nice angle for the final 3 jumps. Ehh... I can get some testplays if you think its a problem.
eh. the repeat slider kinda 'trains' the player with the really fast up down motion so it makes more sense for the first jump to also be up down. sure the movement to the first pair of 1-2 follows this motion, but then the turn after kinda wastes the momentum if that makes any sense.
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Hobbes2 wrote:

I think the current angle is quite reasonable... The player ihas a really fast downward movement built up from the repeat slider so the jump downward should be natural.
eh. the repeat slider kinda 'trains' the player with the really fast up down motion so it makes more sense for the first jump to also be up down. sure the movement to the first pair of 1-2 follows this motion, but then the turn after kinda wastes the momentum if that makes any sense.
Okay got the new jump testplayed by Dunois. He agrees the upward movement feels better so i'll fix it to how you suggested. I guess I can kinda see that since yea those three sliders kinda give people the idea that the next movement should be upward so even tho the jump downward looks like it flows well upward is what the player will be thinking is the next movement. Okay pro analysis
Izzywing
one last thing, I'd appreciate a higher OD (even 9.7, if not 10). not really sure why yours is so low, read the thread and didnt really see a good explanation.

EDIT - and i gotta check your changes lol
EDIT2 - also, could you reply to yuii in full? makes it easier for transparency and stuff
EDIT3 - lol he edited his other reply to yuii instead of making a new one
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Hobbes2 wrote:

one last thing, I'd appreciate a higher OD (even 9.7, if not 10). not really sure why yours is so low, read the thread and didnt really see a good explanation.

EDIT - and i gotta check your changes lol
EDIT2 - also, could you reply to yuii in full? makes it easier for transparency and stuff
OD 9.4 is adequate in terms of dealing with notelock. This map is very largely 1/2 rhythm based so really the only sections that use 1/4 rhythms at this high of a bpm are 02:36:797 - 02:43:239 - . OD 9.4 is enough to counteract the potential notelocking here. A really good thread about notelocking can be found here: t/334458

Basically at 280 bpm the recommended minimum OD is 9.3 to avoid notelocking. I went with 9.4 for safe measure but this basically guarantees there will not be any instance of notelocking considering some parts of the map are indeed over 280 bpm (but only for really short sections). 01:44:564 - Is the highest bpm in the map (300) but it's mapped as sliders so theres really no chance of notelocking realistically.

Also, replied to Yuii's mod in full.
Izzywing
https://emojipedia.org/extraterrestrial-alien/

Rebubbling for safety

I've read through this thread and all of the concerns have been properly addressed, so let's give it a go. If anyone has a concern regarding my ability to judge the map, I'd respond with the fact that this map in itself isn't actually that complex. The difficulty itself comes from the high bpm + jumps more than anything. The play-ability concerns I had were addressed in my mod.

Regarding the aesthetics, I love the concept of this map, using the idea of 'ugly' aesthetics to create contrast. I think it's done well.

So, yeah lol
Nao Tomori
Linada

Naotoshi wrote:

http://itsalmo.st/#alientime
i wont close this
fieryrage
hey it's ar 10 now good job Proud OF you

i still think od should be like 9.7 or something but whatev
defiance
multiple weary emojis
I Must Decrease
Do not nominate a beatmap if you cannot reasonably judge it. Being able to reasonably play a beatmap is a core part of being able to judge a beatmap’s quality. If you are multiple tiers below the playing level of the map we may call your ability to judge it into question.

Hobbes2 wrote:

If anyone has a concern regarding my ability to judge the map, I'd respond with the fact that this map in itself isn't actually that complex. The difficulty itself comes from the high bpm + jumps more than anything. The play-ability concerns I had were addressed in my mod.
This isnt how this rule works. You're hopelessly below this maps difficulty and a brand new beatmap nominator. If you think you're exempt from this rule simply because the difficulty is "only jumps and high bpm" you're incorrect.

Reconsider your actions.
Nao Tomori
he's a modder with lots of experience, more kudosu than you, an experienced mapper, and aside from all of that the map has already 50 odd pages of discussion. if you want to objectively quantify and analyze his modding ability, be my guest. after all, you nominated a similar high star map, right? you should know what it takes.
I Must Decrease

Naotoshi wrote:

he's a modder with lots of experience, more kudosu than you, an experienced mapper, and aside from all of that the map has already 50 odd pages of discussion. if you want to objectively quantify and analyze his modding ability, be my guest. after all, you nominated a similar high star map, right? you should know what it takes.
An action that I regretted and did not repeat. (also I could pass that map)
hi-mei
why are u still pushing it, i dont get

community is against it, youre just making ur life worse by iconing such shit
Izzywing
I do think I'm reasonably capable of judging this map. The concepts used in this map, like I said earlier, are not very difficult to understand. They aren't something I don't usually map or mod. Can I pass this map? No. Can I understand it? Yes.

It's worth pointing out that I'm actually quite capable of playing a lot of this map. The parts I fail on would be the extended jump sections, which make up about 5% of the map maybe? The reason I fail these patterns isn't because I don't know how they play, but because I lack the speed necessary to land them. So discrediting my ability to judge this map because of these sections is a bit of a stretch. For those sections, I can analyze the patterns in the editor and be confident in saying they're fine. Not to mention, I did watch quite a few replays of this map when it was Loved.

I understand your concern, but hopefully you can understand my position as well.
Genjuro
nice map, i like the concept used where the map is ugly to go with the ugly song, gl with rank
Lagel

Hobbes2 wrote:

It's worth pointing out that I'm actually quite capable of playing a lot of this map.
-Makishima S-

hi-mei wrote:

Community voice doesn't matter here.
If map is not breaking ranking criteria and BN/QAT decide it is rankable in term of aesthetics - it can be ranked.
Izzywing

[Taiga] wrote:

hi-mei wrote:

Community voice doesn't matter here.
If map is not breaking ranking criteria and BN/QAT decide it is rankable in term of aesthetics - it can be ranked.
This isn't actually true, lol. Community voice matters a lot. Monstrata did respond to everyone that had a specific concern, which is why I was confident in pushing this forward.

EDIT - Just want to point out that I don't want to involve myself in drama (I didn't bubble this map to start a fight, I did it because I think it deserves to be ranked) so I'm not going to respond to any posts that aren't relevant to the map itself from now.
Ora
Well this is gonna be interesting...
rock time
00:38:356 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) no pLEASE bring back the old jumps these pentagons are so hard to play and snap to
Topic Starter
Monstrata

fufu- wrote:

00:38:356 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) no pLEASE bring back the old jumps these pentagons are so hard to play and snap to
I have a possible alternative in mind for it, i'll push a quick update tomorrow though after confirming with some players. I like how it plays currently because its arranged in a way where its possible for players to try alternating it instead of single tapping, but essentially the structure is set up to cause really fast counterclockwise flowing movements that break down into rotating/tornado based jumps afterwards.
Kibbleru
new bns: pls stop ruining urselves ;w;

anyways gl
GaterRaider
monstrata ranked 42,9% of Hobbe2's maps. Gotta return some favors now that you're a BN, huh?
hi-mei

GaterRaider wrote:

monstrata ranked 42,9% of Hobbe2's maps. Gotta return some favors now that you're a BN, huh?
Nao Tomori

GaterRaider wrote:

hobbes i ranked 2 of your maps too give me some bubbles thanks
Akitoshi

What's This?
-Sh1n1-

Genjuro wrote:

nice map, i like the concept used where the map is ugly to go with the ugly song, gl with rank
wtf dude, this song is pure love, I hear it when I want to sleep :3 anyways /me grabs popcorn
Kawashiro

Akitoshi wrote:

What's This?
owo
Kynan

Xexxar wrote:

This isnt how this rule works. You're hopelessly below this maps difficulty and a brand new beatmap nominator. If you think you're exempt from this rule simply because the difficulty is "only jumps and high bpm" you're incorrect.

Reconsider your actions.
Well fuck, this coming from a guy who speed ranks trash jump maps for the sole reason of being the highest SR TV size map out there (and you probably can't even clear your map as well), is painful to read.
Ekoro
this should be nuked
nextplay

Ekoro wrote:

this should be nuked
Nah
fat pear
i love alins
-Makishima S-

Hobbes2 wrote:

This isn't actually true, lol. Community voice matters a lot. Monstrata did respond to everyone that had a specific concern, which is why I was confident in pushing this forward.

EDIT - Just want to point out that I don't want to involve myself in drama (I didn't bubble this map to start a fight, I did it because I think it deserves to be ranked) so I'm not going to respond to any posts that aren't relevant to the map itself from now.
Responding to people concerns doesn't negate community negative feedback towards map.
As I said - if something is right with ranking criteria and doesn't break guidelines, it is perfectly rankable.
Community feedback have nothing to do in this case. Only thing what people can do is play it as qualified and vote 1 star at the end.

Don't mix "community feedback" as reaction of majority towards certain event with "feedback about map" in term of modding.
Gokateigo

Ekoro wrote:

this should be nuked
yes, Loctav help us please
Fiachra
This thread is hilarious
MagicDragon
Clearly the only solution is to revoke every single BN's rights and start from scratch by giving BN permissions to all the salty 5 and 6 digit players who madpost about maps that give high PP while not being able to make a decent map themselves.

You know, because self important contrarian nerds are so much better at judging beatmap than players who have been active in the mapping community for a while.

Also really gotta love the in-fighting in the BN group, that's really appropriate to have in a public forum instead of a private discussion.

(in all seriousness though, the incivility really needs to go)
Vivyanne
Guys can we stop the discussion, it's not going to bring us anywhere at the moment. Best is to mod it during qualified to get it DQd and have the process reset each time.

Just let Monstrata inflate his ego a little more and move on, no one will look at this map after a month or so. It doesn't leave up for enough fun or unique experience during gameplay so no actual player in the right mind will play this again.

note this is a meme dont take this too seriously
hlanden
There we go once again

/me grabs popcorn and sits near the other guy with it
Tomsonas

Kynan wrote:

Xexxar wrote:

Reconsider your actions.
Well fuck, this coming from a guy who speed ranks trash jump maps for the sole reason of being the highest SR TV size map out there (and you probably can't even clear your map as well), is painful to read.
welcome back to Osu kynan, glad to have you here for the daily unwarranted salt
show more