forum

MAXIMUM THE HORMONE - A-L-I-E-N

posted
Total Posts
show more
jesse1412
Also some stuff I do think plays a bit crap:

01:33:991 (1) - Way too fast and the slider ticks aren't easy to slide across/follow which makes it really hard to read/follow.
01:36:344 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3) - These "triples" play like arse, I'd recommend just making them into actual triples or something, tacking them onto slider ends isn't good.

As much as I think ar9 would be cool, I'll add that the current ar is perfectly fine across the map for me. If you can make it to the slow part you won't even second guess what's happening at this ar unless the miracles of jesus himself have carried you past the large jumps. Also regarding those huge jumps, I can't play them properly but they're literally upscaled versions of the other jumps in the map so for an able player they're probably nice and smooth.
Shiro

jesse1412 wrote:

Kynan wrote:

Exactly what Jesse said, it's kinda like Tengaku tbh.
It feels FAR more natural than tengaku too, harder in places but never quite as iffy to follow.
Because it uses comfortable angles and patterns, while Tengaku explores the uncomfortable ones. =P
unko
ar8 gogogogogogo
jawns
I feel like there are two main points people make about this map, and why they don't think it should be ranked:

The first one is, that the map looks ugly, but I haven't seen a single explanation why this is a bad thing. Why is it more fun to click on a good looking slider rather than one that is "ugly"? And on top of that, as has been mentioned a lot of times, the "ugly" sliders fit the "ugly" music.

The other thing is, people say this map was deliberately made to play poorly (even though a lot of other people say that the map plays surprisingly well). The main issue I have with this argument is, that these people forget (or don't realize) that there can be more to a map than "how well it plays". Charles445's podcast talked a bit about it, how maps can have an emotional effect on the player, besides "this feels good to play" or "it felt great that I fc'ed that bit". My point is, that making the map "play worse" is justifiable, if the reason was to make the map fit the song better, or in some other way add to the experience.
Frc
Adding to all the comments I've seen about this map. It's not even the first time something like this has happened. As I said in the map disqus when it was qualified, it comes to my mind gmtn vs. kozato - squartatrice by soulfear
Kibbleru

jawns wrote:

I feel like there are two main points people make about this map, and why they don't think it should be ranked:

The first one is, that the map looks ugly, but I haven't seen a single explanation why this is a bad thing. Why is it more fun to click on a good looking slider rather than one that is "ugly"? And on top of that, as has been mentioned a lot of times, the "ugly" sliders fit the "ugly" music.

The other thing is, people say this map was deliberately made to play poorly (even though a lot of other people say that the map plays surprisingly well). The main issue I have with this argument is, that these people forget (or don't realize) that there can be more to a map than "how well it plays". Charles445's podcast talked a bit about it, how maps can have an emotional effect on the player, besides "this feels good to play" or "it felt great that I fc'ed that bit". My point is, that making the map "play worse" is justifiable, if the reason was to make the map fit the song better, or in some other way add to the experience.
Exactly this, the entire point of the uglyness of the map was to give an emotional impact on the player. Its like "wow! i can really feel how ugly this song is through the map!"

Sadly, as he mentioned in the podcast, people are doing this less and less, and focusing on only the good looking and playable things that we call "meta".
grumd
01:47:749 - i'm pretty sure you need a note here. it's a bit too close to the next sound, but it's existent and it needs to be mapped. good solution is to add a repeat to last slider
02:21:185 (3,4) - he keeps screaming here right until the (4), so it would be fitting to keep the same speed between 3 and 4.
maybe like this http://i.imgur.com/fwZSzwh.png
it looks a bit weird to have only 2 circles stacked, so i'd better do this instead: http://i.imgur.com/DBZfomv.jpg
02:39:407 - this circle needs to be removed, no sound here
02:42:960 (9) - same tbh
02:49:010 (1) - please ctrl+j (on the same position), just for my enjoyment (and better flow)
02:50:353 (1) - the second sound (all red ticks) is actually a bit earlier than the red tick. it's on the 1/8 tick. i'm pretty sure you already know this. i think it would be quite fun if it was mapped like that: http://i.imgur.com/tbRQzvA.png

01:36:505 (2,3) - and reminding you about wrong triples which indeed sounds like 1/3 for me http://i.imgur.com/82ESJ0F.png
Airachi
Maybe by picking dedicated "ugly" patterns.. For example, 4 patterns but using them randomly could give the feeling of "ugly" without actually being ugly. It remains consistent with same patterns so that way it can provide an "insane" feeling? It would still look nice though. Maybe thats a good happy medium for the craziness
Kyouren
Hmm... Why you adding again maximum in tags again? It's already in artist?
Mindwaves
Repost this part of blue dragon msg, cause i thinks it explain perfectly with this map should not be ranked.
Second point: There is no proof of thorough playtesting and player input in the map. If the beatmap is truly directed to its target audience based on star rating, then it's extremely weird to not see any input from top 100 players, and the ones I've asked about, were feeling offended that such a beatmap was ranked in the first place - they didn't feel it was enjoyable to play or a needed map in the ranked section. If you can't even please the small target audience you're directing your map to, then there's something definitely wrong with the map.
Bokkie
I find it kinda funny that map's SR drops to 3.65* if you delete first ~3 minutes.

Imo if you cut it in half and make two maps out of this song (with full diff spreads) it's actually rankable.
Kinshara

Kibbleru wrote:

"wow! i can really feel how ugly this song is through the map!"
This made me laugh too hard.
Spaghetti

Catshy wrote:

I find it kinda funny that map's SR drops to 3.65* if you delete first ~3 minutes.
i find it kinda funny that water is wet
idke

Spaghetti wrote:

Catshy wrote:

"Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'."
Izzywing

idke wrote:

Spaghetti wrote:

"Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'."
forget the map; this thread is the real art

on a separate note, this song has evolved into a bit of guilty pleasure for me and I hate myself for it.
Akali

IamKwaN wrote:

Looking through the map, I find some of the inputs provided by the community valid.

Please have your discussion stick to the map only and anything not constructive would be removed.

EDIT:

hoozimajiget wrote:

But the actual song length noted in the album track listing is 4:46. So how are there 14 seconds of artificially generated length?
I am curious about this.
I hope you are curious. I completely disagree with 5 minutes being bottom limit for approval, but if we have rules let's try not to find iffy ways around them. This way I can record my dog barking for 1 minute and loop it over a drum beat, call it "Super Funny Dog Remix Extension", add it to every 4 minute song and go for approval. The guitar sounds here might be part of the song's performance, but they don't have any rhythmical timing nor contribute to song's composition in any way.
Liiraye

Akali wrote:

IamKwaN wrote:

Looking through the map, I find some of the inputs provided by the community valid.

Please have your discussion stick to the map only and anything not constructive would be removed.

EDIT:

I hope you are curious. I completely disagree with 5 minutes being bottom limit for approval, but if we have rules let's try not to find iffy ways around them. This way I can record my dog barking for 1 minute and loop it over a drum beat, call it "Super Funny Dog Remix Extension", add it to every 4 minute song and go for approval. The guitar sounds here might be part of the song's performance, but they don't have any rhythmical timing nor contribute to song's composition in any way.
I realize this is off topic, but just chiming in for a sec.

I mean, I remember how much crap asphyxias kyoumei map got for using the chorus again or something at the end. He ended up DQing because of the huge amount of crap he got. However we still see this way of circumventing the 5min mark ranked quite a few times since that. I guess these things will be updated in the soon to be reworked RC, but we still need some clarification on this because rules seem to bend depending on the map when it comes to this.
Cubensis
Maybe peoples doesn't like your map because it's just bad lol
Musty
i like those kicksliders and some parts of the maps, but it sometimes feel a bit weird to play :d
ConsumerOfBean

Cubensis wrote:

"it's just bad"
Very helpful advice here my friend
Edit:
04:45:311 (1,1) - maybe make the spinner 1/8 away from the slider instead of 1/4? there's kinda a weird pause between the two as it is
Varqaaa
The triplets around 02:37:015 (2,3,4) feel overmapped to me. Why put them in there? There's nothing corresponding in the song.

In general though, I don't see what all the fuss is about. The spacing and jerkiness is warranted. Have you listened to the song? It thrashes about and shifts gears in a deliberately grotesque and sporadic manner which the map mirrors effectively. "It's hard" "it's bad" "it's different" "I don't like it"... these are not sufficient grounds to write off a map.
Airachi
. owell
FriendoFox
The map is fine, why does it have to look good? Aslong as it's fun to play noone should give a shit
I at first thought this map is bad, just to join the hate-train, but I gave it a try myself and this map is actually fun, the only thing I don't like are the "slider-jump-streams", as I like to call them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqJDAelxRQ
Slappez

Catshy wrote:

Imo if you cut it in half and make two maps out of this song (with full diff spreads) it's actually rankable.
I disagree. You map to a song. Not to one half of a song.
-rRow-
Pretty easy map for Gayzmcgee
Underforest

Underforest wrote:

I'll try to help out here

02:50:353 - this red point you should do it 7/4 instead of 4/4 imo
03:11:415 (1) - end this at 03:13:440 - if you're trying to follow vocal
04:42:747 - add 109 BPM redline
04:44:784 - change this to 114 BPM
04:45:311 (1) - you can make this heart slider much better than now
234,109,285311,6,0,B|234:102|203:78|143:78|136:142|109:196|189:209|257:289|257:289|324:209|404:196|377:142|370:78|310:78|277:102|278:116,1,599.999981689454,2|2,0:0|0:2,0:0:0:0:
04:49:426 (1) - at the spinner end you can put a whistle here

even if it's too harder it's a great map, don't let the user rating let winny upload continue his road
if I didn't helped, don't gimme kudosu
Reposting my mod xd This thread is really out of control
zhuxiaoyan

Cubensis wrote:

you should $uicideboys - kill yourself part 3
marcuddles

Monstrata wrote:

More beautiful version: http://puu.sh/pPbU4/42e16d9b88.osz
tatoe
Helyana

Mark101 wrote:

Monstrata wrote:

More beautiful version: http://puu.sh/pPbU4/42e16d9b88.osz
tatoe
le tue map sono piú farmose anche di tatoe
phaZ

Frostwich wrote:

Cubensis wrote:

this more and more reminds me of youtube comments... what happened ._.

btw:
imo those sliders match the music perfectly, it is well mapped, and fun to play. whats wrong
Renumi

Frostwich wrote:

Cubensis wrote:

dytedy
lol nice hitsounds

#tatoe
Graf
Never had more fun on a map.
Joe Castle
I dont want to give my opinion about this map, because im speechless (lol)

But, for me, just for me, is not the time to make this map ranked.
RikiH_
00:49:841 (3,1,2,3,4,1) -
00:52:876 (4,1,2,3) -
02:16:532 (3,4,1) -

wow

great flow

keep it up :')
worst fl player

OzzyOzrock wrote:

i love the song :D
rbby
04:32:770 (3,1) - These aren't stacked