forum

MAXIMUM THE HORMONE - A-L-I-E-N

posted
Total Posts
show more
CodeS

Kiyohime wrote:

The unfortunate thing is that it's literally just a matter of time. Even if a lot of people dislike the map for what it is or what it does, it's Monstrata and the circlejerk is real; it will eventually reach rank.

^
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Yunomi wrote:

hey monstroti,

02:51:908 (1,1) - maybe the sv increase could increase by smaller increments cuz its really uncomfortable to play repeats on such high sv when you have to move as well. It plays fine for me idk. You have to click and move the sliders independently, it'll feel like the slider-ball is following your cursor instead of you following the cursor ball. I think if you do that you shouldn't have trouble playing it.

try to remove or decrease the spacing of the jumpstreams as well since this is 280bpm I don't really want to nerf it, but I improved the structure a bit. I think the spacing between 1>3>5>7 could have thrown people off.

try nerfing the fullscreen jumps, i don't mean the large jumps, but i mean the actual full screen jumps like 01:01:580 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - even if its just a little nerf i think it would help a lot. Nerfed a bit. Oh, this was supposed to be for the jumpstreams, flip the replies^

i don't think the sliders are ugly since it fits your theme of the map, some patterns are arguable but the slider shapes themselves are fine since you are consistent with them throughout the map.

already seen some maps go down the toilet in quality this year so i don't understand why people are freaking out over this map being "ugly". it's not that bad overall.
Thanks for the mod!!

MCB wrote:

Hi noob here, I'll probably be eaten alive but I might as well have a go at this.

SPOILER
I can't play the map obviously, I'll just have to use whatever intuition I have to try and be of use :/

The part between 01:41:487 and 01:59:463 shows irregular sliders. Of course, you've done this before during the chaotic parts, but you've shown before in the map that you want to map the orderly parts in an orderly fashion, so why are the sliders here so oddly shaped? I'd say this part sounds quite neat and orderly and the slider shapes could better reflect that. Kinda cheeky, but If you notice, the first two sliders look pretty, and then it devolves back into chaos. This part "sounds" like it will be orderly when you first hear it, but then as you listen on, you realize the rhythm and timing is completely erratic and the Chaotic sliders come back. I ended up changing 01:47:183 (1,2) - though to become uglier to fit my original idea above^

02:21:689 (1,2) - 02:23:624 (1,2) - etc. There are some of these sliders which represent the exact same sound in the song but have a completely different shape, I'm assuming it's intentional? I feel like you could create more order within the chaos to better represent the song It's intentional.

02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) For a part that's quite neat in its rhythm and sound, the shape's good, but why is the spacing so high? Your spacing approached this during the extremely chaotic parts but it seems weird to make the jumps this huge for a reasonably orderly and calm part. This is the one of the heights of the map imo. It's where the song finally transitions from chaotic 280 bpm mapping to 120 bpm mapping so here I wanted a blend of both the craziness of the first half of the map, and the structural integrity of the second half. It's why the arrangement here (along with the sliders before it) are noticeably normal, while still being really over the top.

Just some opinion: You probably noticed most of my suggestions (woah there were so many) were about the randomness factor of the map. I do know that there are a lot of parts where you decided to just let the randomness do its thing, because the song's that way. But I feel like you show in certain parts that you do care for the order of the map by doing things more neatly, but you're not doing it all the time, which isn't because the song's just that way (it certainly isn't in some parts) but because you're straying away from how the song is and approaching this randomness feature that you've created around the map and turning it into a gimmick. I'm not saying the randomness is bad, I think there should be structure within it. So I feel like you should actually be more consistent with this behaviour and make the neater parts of the song neater in the map and such. I think of the map in this way because there's definitely structure and order within the song and you definitely do interpret it, but sometimes you don't seem to show it which is a waste if you ask me :c

All in all, I really like the randomness effect but I think you can improve on it

Good luck with the map!
Thanks for the mod!! (Sorry i accidentally denied your kds cuz im bad at aiming)

Reddit wrote:

SPOILER
00:40:066 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5) - possibly change the pattern here to something smoother or at least lower spacing No, I want to show the jumps spiraling out of control. You can see how the pentagon/star jump pattern just dissipates into chaos.
01:01:580 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - the spacing here could be a bit lower come on lmao Explained with Yumoni's post
02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,1,1) - extremely over mapped imo, this isnt a Rabbit Jumping Style map lol Explained with MCB's post.

ok there is my first ever mod in osu, i even had to watch ztrots osu accademy video to do it. kudosu pls :)
Thanks for your feedback!!
iiyo
good for ctb
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Sieg wrote:

hello apparition wannabe

confirming from my part that guitar in intro 1/3 yea

also, don't you feel like those patterns overextended? No, but I made some minor changes see above for changes/reasonings :D
01:01:151 (3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) -
02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) -

also, while 1/4 sliders can be justified(?), I don't see much support for placing just streams there: The 1/4's exist, and in both cases I've been prepping the player with those 1/4 patterns, whether kicksliders or 1/4 repeats so they should expect some sort of 1/4 rhythm going into both of then.
01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) -
02:32:742 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) -
Remapping the guitar to 1/3 tho!

BOUYAAA wrote:

Should be 1/3 as said above yea

there are still alot of questionable things in the map imo though

rythm is kinda fucked in some places like here 01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - etc i'm guessing you're doing that kickslider stuff because vocals go crazy or something but you're not following the vocals so yea feels super weird I disagree...

some pretty ugly overmaps too like 01:37:362 (2,3,4,5) - idk it's probably not 1/4 it's probably there, but it might not be. Either ways though I would want to keep, i don't think the overmap is inherently wrong, and I don't think you'll even be able to complain about a lack of a note there when actually playing (listening at 100%). The vocals support it imo.
01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1) - this one is pretty lol with the streamjumps and all Well, i nerfed spacing a bit~

don't have time to look at the rest but yea

idk
Thanks for your concerns!!
orbital gun
short mod to poitn something out cuz im not sure if anyone else has yet (not related to aesthetics)

SPOILER
01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - i think the minisliders here are overmapped, there's no consistent blue tick notes that would
suggest mapping it like this so would highly suggest revising it. adding jumps would be fine
Arusamour

Jaitonat wrote:

Thre's nothing fundamentally wrong with speedranking sure, but i feel if you rank your map -too- fast it doesnt get subjected to enough opinions and as such will obviously not be as good as it could be.

And lastly, modding exists to point out issues with a map specifically to the mapper. if we can't "complain" to the mapper then who the fuck do we complain to

ok dad im leaving now hf with ur shitmap lo
no, come back.

y do u care if some guy's maps r bad?? lol
Broccoly

Kibbleru wrote:

02:26:362 - what the actual fuck

btw u need ar 10
i agree with the AR
when you think about DT maps ranging around 260-280 bpm most of them are at 10.3 or higher. 1/4 slider jumps and cross-screen jumps in this map with AR 9.7 are very difficult to read. I know that the slower part at the end doesn't seem like it really goes well with AR 10 but i think it's a reasonable compromise (Image Material, for example, does this and the slow part doesn't feel bad with AR 10)
Kibbleru
any1 experienced enough to play this will be able to play the slow parts fine with ar10 anyways
Topic Starter
Monstrata
I think AR 9.7 is high enough... Mainly because the map doesn't actually use a lot of 1/4 clicking rhythms. Like in terms of streams, or anything 1/4 ad 280 bpm, there are very few instances of that occuring.

Well, this is keeping in mind that i'm removing all the triplets in the intro too, so that significantly decreases the map density imo.
Broccoly
wait why are you basing your decision for AR on 1/4 clicking rhythms when 1/4 rhythm is just pure 280 stream..?
its the 1/2 jumps (including sliderjumps) and not the streams that usually 'tell' the player whether the AR fits or not..
-Atri-

Fort wrote:

i don't care for your single meme :>

you're not mazzerin who map crazy deathstreams in every maps he made
you're not Ekoro who mapped Time Freeze with extra effort
you're not lesjuh who made a good map in 2009
you're not val0108 who made a really stylish sliders map
you're not hanzer who made a stream with a jump
you're not me who map a crazy fullscreen jumps
you're not irreversible who makes cs7 maps
you're not cherry blossom who makes symmetrical maps
you're not failureatosu who maps stale memes
you're not KuranteMelodii who name the longest diff name in the world

im waiting for epic qualified posts in here (and waiting people who can pass this map without NF or HT)

nice ending btw
fixed <3
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Broccoly wrote:

wait why are you basing your decision for AR on 1/4 clicking rhythms when 1/4 rhythm is just pure 280 stream..?
its the 1/2 jumps (including sliderjumps) and not the streams that usually 'tell' the player whether the AR fits or not..
I'm basing it off how cluttered the map can potentially be, given the high BPM. My reasoning is more visuals than playability. There was a huge discussion over the AR from like the 2nd page to like the 4th, and I ended up going with 9.7 after a lot of opinions.
Kuki
i was expecting a weird aesthetic but this is beyond me, saying this is mapped messily because that's what you think the song sounds like is totally subjective, luckily you are friends with the only people whos opinions matter that side with you so you can rank anything you feel like. best not to work on this as my opinion can be invalidated so easily by a simple excuse.

if a map is created and the mapper thinks it is rankable but quite a few people disagree, it won't rank.

but, if that mapper has friends with the ability to rank maps then the mapper can rank relatively anything, so what's the point in having these people with power if it's only going to be dolled out to a select few? what's the point in having a policeman who turns a blind eye at a celebrity's, or a close friend's crime?

having people in power that make crucial decisions is a good idea, but not when they play favorites.

this doesn't apply to everyone but to those that it does, know who you are.
fieryrage
from a first look at the map honestly it's not that bad, the triples in the beginning and the 1 minute mark are awful to play though but i hear that's being remapped to 1/3 anyways

i will say:

- for an 8.5 star map this needs AR 10, i read the discussion and while the slow section is a problem i seriously doubt anyone who isn't skilled enough to read AR 10 on slow songs would pass up to that point; as it is right now the 280 1/2 jump spam is borderline unreadable with 9.7
- OD is subjective but honestly it should probably be OD 10 since notelocking might be a huge issue here like it was in apparition
- HP 3 seems kind of pointless for a map this difficult tbh, bump it up to 4 or 5
- preview point on the slowest part of the song why? didn't louis cyphre's anthem map get unranked for something like this?

ok actual suggestions now
00:03:501 (1,1) - why are these spinners so LOUD holy
00:51:668 (5) - nc?
00:55:144 (5) - ^
00:56:007 (3) - idk if you forgot a nc here but you did it for the previous section so doesn't really make sense to not have one here imo; this goes for most of the jumps like this in this section
00:58:578 (5) - ^ as per 00:51:668
01:01:151 (3,4,5,6) - this jump is like huge as hell compared to the rest of the fairly short-spaced quick hops, ideally if you wanted to keep this i think spacing out 00:59:444 (3,4,5,6) - and 01:00:294 (3,4,5,6) - a tiny bit more would help
01:02:008 (5) - ^ as per 00:51:668
01:06:090 (1) - i don't really see a point to not mapping the part in this spinner (the drums, mainly), it feels really out of place as it stands
01:10:902 (1) - ^
01:15:702 (1) - ^
01:35:915 (4) - shouldn't the slider start here for the guitar riff? it's what you did in all the previous sections so it doesn't really fit going for the vocals here
01:37:201 (1,2,3,4,5) - why does this follow a different rhythm than 01:36:772 (5,6,7,8) - and the one before it even though it's literally the same thing
01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - how does this call for a jump stream??? nothing in the rhythm suggests a huge change in intensity..
02:18:402 (3,4,5) - this sounds off timed if you're following the vocals here, the last note especially
02:19:370 (3,4,5) - ^
02:20:338 (3) - this just hits too early in general
02:26:362 (1) - this is like the best time to put a kiai but you don't wh
02:30:599 (9) - nc to maintain nc consistency with this section
02:32:313 (9) - ^
02:33:171 (1) - also don't see a need for this to have a big gap from the stream, feels really out of place
02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - these should not nearly be as spaced as they are currently imo, if someone puts jumps like this at least make the player lead into them properly with gradually expanding jumps--these just come out of nowhere

i'm not modding the slow part of the song since i'm fairly certain that's good enough as it is and i'm horrible at modding stuff like that
03:04:570 (4) - nc this tho

honestly, i really don't care too much about the uglyness of the sliders or jumps (to be honest this is basically how i map a majority of my jumps anyways). it's just a lot of the map seems mapped too much for difficulty spikes as it is right now. there's extremely easy (comparatively speaking) jump sections then out of nowhere a huge jump comes. that's really the only issue i see here. i'd much rather there be consistent jump spacing or gradual ramping of the difficulty of the jumps rather than just one random burst of across-the-screen jumps. timing also is an issue in some places (it's kind of similar to tengaku with the insane amount of timing changes, in that sense), so i'd get someone to double check that if you haven't already. obviously it can't be perfect but it can definitely be a lot better in some places.

ok that's my mod bye
Broccoly

Monstrata wrote:

My reasoning is more visuals than playability.
So, with that statement and the fact that the map was originally in AR 9, can I interpret that as you intentionally making the map annoying to play? I personally like maps that have messy visuals (Midge's maps, for example) because, hey, if that's how they wanna express the music, it's totally cool, as long as they play decently. Right now, however, you're sacrificing both visuals and playability in an attempt to express the music, which is something that a beatmap should not aim for. Osu! is a rhythm game and not Visual Art. It's the players that's the most important in a game, and to me, you're trying to take that component straight out from it with this map.
Shiirn
I'll repeat what I said briefly.

A map that is intentionally bad is still, in the end, bad. That's the biggest reason I personally disagree with this map as it sits right now. It's an intentional affront to the opinions of dozens and possibly hundreds of community members.

Each individual, particular issue the map has - the intentionally messy aesthetics, the incongruity of the map's focus on vocals, drums, or guitar, the blatant fake difficulty - are individually whatever. Each has reasons that can stand up on their own, even if they stand up like a drunken two year old. But all of the problems combine to just make this clearly a map set out with a specific message. One that is offensive and arrogant.

I mentioned a handful of times in public and in private that I looked forward to Monstrata's "please enjoy game" phase of mapping, where a mapper begins to let himself move more freely away from the rigidity of normal mapping.

I no longer look forward to it if this is the result.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
@Broccoly, That was my original intention. Actually, I had plans to change it to AR 8 actually lol. the AR 9.7 change came after I decided playability absolutely needed to go above visuals in this case. So yea, my decision to make the map AR 9.7 was already with a mindset that playability had to be above visuals. I just think AR 9.7 is already playable, and that increasing to AR 10 won't bring anything more to the map. I guess that's where we disagree, but yea, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sacrifice playability or anything.
Topic Starter
Monstrata

fieryrage wrote:

from a first look at the map honestly it's not that bad, the triples in the beginning and the 1 minute mark are awful to play though but i hear that's being remapped to 1/3 anyways

i will say:

- for an 8.5 star map this needs AR 10, i read the discussion and while the slow section is a problem i seriously doubt anyone who isn't skilled enough to read AR 10 on slow songs would pass up to that point; as it is right now the 280 1/2 jump spam is borderline unreadable with 9.7
Long chat with Broccoly about AR 9.7 vs AR 10. Please give it a read if you get the chance, it really fleshes out all my thoughts on the AR
23:15 Monstrata: aaaah i dropped my original intentions long ago x___x
23:16 Broccoly: oh.,,,
23:16 Monstrata: AR 9.7 is already playable imo so increasing to AR 10 is a matter of visuals (screen density)
23:17 Broccoly: but theres a lot of difference between 9.7 and 10..
23:17 Broccoly: at this bpm..
23:17 Monstrata: its why i said visuals > playability. i don't mean im sacrificing playability for visuals tho, just, when both are considered playable, 9.7 brings more visual appeal for me
23:18 Broccoly: i see
23:18 Broccoly: but why do you think is 9.7 is playable enough??
23:18 Monstrata: the difference is a bit less than 1/4th a beat (45 ms) which wasn't a lot after getting a lot of testplays
23:18 Broccoly: to me even 10 is low,,
23:19 Monstrata: ehh i think thats cuz you're just just really used to playing with dt mod though
23:19 Broccoly: well i fc'd jumpudding with ez mode so i could say i'm pretty used to low ar
23:20 Monstrata: mmm well, but you can read high AR's like over 10 so it kinda makes you a bit biased to higher AR's too no? xD. since you'd consider a higher range of AR's as "normal"
23:21 Monstrata: whereas someone who can barely read 10.3 would consider something like 9.7-10 as a good AR range
23:22 Broccoly: hmm
23:23 Broccoly: few things here.. someone who can barely read 10.3 is not your target audience
23:24 Broccoly: also i have no idea on that bias thing cuz i don't mind playing lower ars
23:24 Broccoly: and what's the difference between 270 nomod map and a 180 dt map?
23:25 Broccoly: that you need to use lower ar on the nomod map
23:25 Monstrata: well, theres also mmm more technical but with AR 9.7 you get to see the object on screen for 495 ms. and basically the rhythm of the map gives 482 ms per 5 notes (two white tticks) so at AR 9.7 there will always be 5 objects on the screen. whereas AR 10 bedomes 450ms, and the rhythm shifts down 1/4 a beat and becomes 429ms which results in less than 5 objects on the screen
23:26 Monstrata: and to a certain extent i do want the screen to be slightly more cluttered to aid with the aesthetic. timing wise, the difference is only 45 ms, but effect wise, its the difference between 4 and 5 objects on the screen
23:27 Broccoly: i see
23:29 Monstrata: also, i think with 180 dt maps you don't really get a choice as to what AR you want to pick. and I guess everyone just got used to 180 bpm DT = AR 10.33
23:30 Broccoly: ok
23:30 Monstrata: like, i think if people had the choice to assign AR's for DT/HT etc... 8 years ago or whatever, instead of a preset multiplier, things might be different today. we're just forced to go into 10.33 AR because of tradition, not because mappers agree on it
23:31 Broccoly: right
23:33 Broccoly: so for the former problem I think that that 1 object matters a lot in this case.. and I'd say you've achieved your visual representation of the music already with the patterning of the objects, etc
23:35 Broccoly: and that tradition thing, that's a good point... but now that players have already been used to 10.3, why not just make them play what they're used to?
23:36 Broccoly: they're gonna have a difficult time anyways.. why make them suffer more lol
23:37 Monstrata: mmm
23:37 Monstrata: well. cuz i think the playerbase can be more than just ppl who can play 180 dt
23:38 Monstrata: like, i would play this map for fun, but the AR 10 would turn me off cuz i can't read it and neither can a lot of people
23:38 Monstrata: well, less and less, nowadays but
23:38 Broccoly: oh i see
23:40 Broccoly: so you think it's worth sacrificing the playerbase who are used to >10 AR for the playerbase that can't read AR 10?
23:41 Broccoly: i mean, if that's what you wanna go for I can't stop you but to me it doesn't seem worth it..
23:41 Monstrata: yes. unless i'm wrong in thinking that people who can read AR 10 can't read 9.7
23:41 Monstrata: and I think its sacrificing it for the playerbase that just isnt comfortable with AR 10
23:41 Broccoly: ah okay
23:41 Monstrata: maybe they can read, they just prefer a lower AR
23:42 Monstrata: like, to a certain extent i want people to play the map and laugh at how ludicrous it is too lol
23:42 Monstrata: and then get to the middle where it shifts from 280 to 120
23:42 Broccoly: haha
23:43 Monstrata: so yea in a sense. i'm not really mapping this primarily for top 50 etc... to pass/fc. its more for ppl to have fun and laugh at/with the map.
23:44 Broccoly: well that's cool then,, but you'll have to prepare for a lot of shitstorm and salt tornados from so many people lmao..
23:45 Monstrata: o yea
23:45 Monstrata: already went through like 10 pages of that xD
23:45 Monstrata: and what, 5 reddit threads? xD
23:45 Broccoly: oh damn LOL
23:45 Broccoly: didnt know
23:45 Monstrata: if HW survived this for a whole year, i can too xD
23:46 Broccoly: wel l you do you man,,
23:46 Broccoly: gud luckk
23:46 Monstrata: oh
23:46 Monstrata: would you mind if i saved this chat log?
23:46 Broccoly: not at all, go ahead
- OD is subjective but honestly it should probably be OD 10 since notelocking might be a huge issue here like it was in apparition Apparition didnt require OD 10 but it was used mainly because of stream. There are barely any 1/4 patterns on this map, so the notelocking excuse isn't relevant here.
- HP 3 seems kind of pointless for a map this difficult tbh, bump it up to 4 or 5 Sure, HP 4.5 HP 3 was originally so the triplets could be more forgiving, but now that i've replaced them i can do a higher HP and not feel bad.
- preview point on the slowest part of the song why? didn't louis cyphre's anthem map get unranked for something like this? This is the entire point of the map lol. 8.5 stars, and it sounds like its 2 stars. It's all about juxtaposition. Pretty Ugly.

ok actual suggestions now
00:03:501 (1,1) - why are these spinners so LOUD holy Reduced to 35% and soft sample
00:51:668 (5) - nc? No, not necessary since the pattern is in a set of 8 not two sets of 4.
00:55:144 (5) - ^ ^
00:56:007 (3) - idk if you forgot a nc here but you did it for the previous section so doesn't really make sense to not have one here imo; this goes for most of the jumps like this in this section Huh? This is consistent with everything I have. Which section are you referring to?
00:58:578 (5) - ^ as per 00:51:668 ^
01:01:151 (3,4,5,6) - this jump is like huge as hell compared to the rest of the fairly short-spaced quick hops, ideally if you wanted to keep this i think spacing out 00:59:444 (3,4,5,6) - and 01:00:294 (3,4,5,6) - a tiny bit more would help Good point. I spaced out the second one more. So you have an increasing spacing concept here.
01:02:008 (5) - ^ as per 00:51:668
01:06:090 (1) - i don't really see a point to not mapping the part in this spinner (the drums, mainly), it feels really out of place as it stands Spinner fits a lot better imo. It's basically a growl + drum roll
01:10:902 (1) - ^
01:15:702 (1) - ^
01:35:915 (4) - shouldn't the slider start here for the guitar riff? it's what you did in all the previous sections so it doesn't really fit going for the vocals here Going for vocals. the rhythms from the previous two measures (all following vocals) support this.
01:37:201 (1,2,3,4,5) - why does this follow a different rhythm than 01:36:772 (5,6,7,8) - and the one before it even though it's literally the same thing The vocal rhythm is different here. But idk if this was pre or post upload. If it was pre, I fixed it and got rid of the overmap and changed the rhythm. If its post, then yea, vocal rhythm is different.
01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - how does this call for a jump stream??? nothing in the rhythm suggests a huge change in intensity.. I think it's well supported in the song, and the player should see these 1/4's coming based on the rhythms of the previous few measures.
02:18:402 (3,4,5) - this sounds off timed if you're following the vocals here, the last note especially Instruments are better, so whenever I can, i will follow the instruments. here it just happens that the vocals and the instruments use the same rhythm, though obviously the vocals are off. Applies to the ones below, i've checked them all.
02:19:370 (3,4,5) - ^
02:20:338 (3) - this just hits too early in general
02:26:362 (1) - this is like the best time to put a kiai but you don't wh
02:30:599 (9) - nc to maintain nc consistency with this section No, this is different. The NC's here are placed based on movement and flow, and not rhythm. Since its one consistent updown or leftright movement it has one combo, where as the previous ones can be split into two sets of flows/movements with backforth going into clockwise/counterclock.
02:32:313 (9) - ^ ^
02:33:171 (1) - also don't see a need for this to have a big gap from the stream, feels really out of place I think it fits pretty well with the super slow slider facing the other direction. It creates a flowbreak that helps the player be more aware of the drastic SV change.
02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - these should not nearly be as spaced as they are currently imo, if someone puts jumps like this at least make the player lead into them properly with gradually expanding jumps--these just come out of nowhere The wavy repeat slider is there precisely so the player has to keep moving up and down and keeping their momentum going. You'll see that the wavy slider is about 0.75 times the distance of those jumps so you have some muscle memory going into it too.

i'm not modding the slow part of the song since i'm fairly certain that's good enough as it is and i'm horrible at modding stuff like that
03:04:570 (4) - nc this tho This doesn't need an NC, its part of the previous stanza.

honestly, i really don't care too much about the uglyness of the sliders or jumps (to be honest this is basically how i map a majority of my jumps anyways). it's just a lot of the map seems mapped too much for difficulty spikes as it is right now. there's extremely easy (comparatively speaking) jump sections then out of nowhere a huge jump comes. that's really the only issue i see here. i'd much rather there be consistent jump spacing or gradual ramping of the difficulty of the jumps rather than just one random burst of across-the-screen jumps. timing also is an issue in some places (it's kind of similar to tengaku with the insane amount of timing changes, in that sense), so i'd get someone to double check that if you haven't already. obviously it can't be perfect but it can definitely be a lot better in some places.

ok that's my mod bye
Thanks for the mod!!
sdafsf
i guess m4m is closed now...
00:44:770 (5,6) - map this guitar consistently during one section in this section you used 3 different patterns
01:37:201 (1,2,3) - why low spacing here when it was higher on the 2 before?
01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1) - i can hear the drums on the stream jumps but this is overmapped as fuck. i i cant hear the 1/4 in the first place but if you put it here make the stream rather like this instead of a jump
02:32:742 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - dont see anything that justifies the jump here. the sudden low sv should be enough to make the flow drop
02:53:686 (1) - why not map the drums here? the slider right now is ridiculous and doesnt even fit because of the 1/1 drums imo
02:53:686 (1) - beautiful pattern but the spacing is just overmapped its not that intense... you probably wanted a difficulty spike at the end of the hard part but thats just unfitting

really not sure about the inconsistency of slider shapes but i guess thats your theme for this map... still some part overmapped even for this theme
i know m4m is closed but i would be very grate ful if youd still mod my map T_T https://osu.ppy.sh/s/465788
btw change title of your m4m queue took me a while to realize its closed
Topic Starter
Monstrata

sdafsf wrote:

i guess m4m is closed now...
00:44:770 (5,6) - map this guitar consistently during one section in this section you used 3 different patterns Fair enough, changed to something else
01:37:201 (1,2,3) - why low spacing here when it was higher on the 2 before? Hmm yea true. Fixed.
01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1) - i can hear the drums on the stream jumps but this is overmapped as fuck. i i cant hear the 1/4 in the first place but if you put it here make the stream rather like this instead of a jump No, i prefer how it is atm. See fieryrage mod reply for more info
02:32:742 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - dont see anything that justifies the jump here. the sudden low sv should be enough to make the flow drop ^
02:53:686 (1) - why not map the drums here? the slider right now is ridiculous and doesnt even fit because of the 1/1 drums imo It's 1/2... and see fieryrage mod reply
02:53:686 (1) - beautiful pattern but the spacing is just overmapped its not that intense... you probably wanted a difficulty spike at the end of the hard part but thats just unfitting ^

really not sure about the inconsistency of slider shapes but i guess thats your theme for this map... still some part overmapped even for this theme
i know m4m is closed but i would be very grate ful if youd still mod my map T_T https://osu.ppy.sh/s/465788
btw change title of your m4m queue took me a while to realize its closed
No, sorry, i'm not doing m4m unless we arranged on it... but thanks for checking!
vetochka

Broccoly wrote:

Monstrata wrote:

My reasoning is more visuals than playability.
Osu! is a rhythm game and not Visual Art.
Cherry Blossom
AR10 will look natural as long as the map the map is really fast, the last part (which is slow) will not be a problem because the player played like 3mins of ar10 and his eyes will get naturally accustomed to high AR

If it were 200BPM AR10 would be really weird to play, and harder to read.
For example, I can read Zapy's Slotcore is dead properly while i can't read airman properly.
Mazziv
hi vinxis
Nevo
Random new mapper strolling by, but I since I don't want to say anything because of my experience I love how you spelled stop at the end :D Past that I want to see this ranked really bad.
VINXIS
Pretty Ugly
---
For Approval.
Seni

Shiirn wrote:

A map that is intentionally bad is still, in the end, bad. That's the biggest reason I personally disagree with this map as it sits right now. It's an intentional affront to the opinions of dozens and possibly hundreds of community members. All of the problems combine to just make this clearly a map set out with a specific message. One that is offensive and arrogant.
Same
emilia
i think you guys liked my remap (its fucking hilarious) maybe i'll throw my 2 cents out here

Agree:

>Its rankable

By definition, sure. However, this map is only bubbled and scrutinized on because of its novelty: star rating, familiar mapper and shitstorm-worthy. If it were to be an ugly TV Size mapped by a 1st time mapper in the exact same style (basically none of the novel qualities of this map I just mentioned), half the people here won't give a rat's ass about it. Even if it DID get popular for some reason, it'd be INSTANTLY bashed to hell because of how shitty the map is, and I'm sure most of you guys have seen shitty maps: they look exactly like this. Saying this is rankable doesn't mean anything, half the fucking trash tier maps uploaded are by definition "rankable" as well. The scrutiny of this map and the heated debate is unfair to the community of mappers because this happens solely on the premise of novelty. So, sorry, bad argument.

>Its MEANT to be ugly/Its m y A E S T H I C/Its a concept

Just because the mapper added "REALLY FUCKING UGLY" to their description in some edgy gradient that somehow justifies the idea that ugly maps like this can rank. In my opinion, the only reason why Monstrata maps even rank is because they look neat and its mapped with a hexagonal grid lmao, else there shouldn't even be a reason for contention. This map is absolute trash and there is no two ways about it. Imo monstrata's flow isn't even worth looking at, its so basic and boring and shitty all around. Without aesthetics or pp, i.e. normal TV Size-esque, anything mapped by Monstrata belongs in the depths of graveyard. Continuously reaffirming yourself that you're right only shows that you're being powered by mindless circlejerking andCall me rude, but it isn't a dig at Monstrata, his good point IS his neatness. But justifying it by saying its "trashy, unplayable trash" only proves my point that this is an argument that will only backfire. Sorry sweetie, bad argument

>There are other maps for you

As mentioned by QATs/BNs time and time again, every map is handled differently. Just because there are enough maps out there that people in this thread hating on the map will enjoy, it doesn't mean its a substantiable argument for THIS map to rank. Its basically a cowardly/"nice" way to tell non-circlejerkers to fuck off, which is rather delusional. Be it the fact that they are being mean or not, this isn't an argument of any value lmao

>Leave the mapper alone

He uploaded this shit-fest, receiving criticism (be it constructive or not) shouldn't be a surprise in any form or manner. Saying "Leave him alone" only contributes to the circlejerk imo, so saying that isn't really being "neutral" or impartial. Stop trying to defend something for the sake of defending something, criticism in ranking every map is necessary

>beCAuSE l o LL MEM ES

Remember what happened to handsome and pishifat when they actually ranked a Bearizm map that was actually well done and not this shit stain l ol xd

Disagree:

>The 1st 3/5 is overmapped and the remaining is a massive decrease in SR

This is a very poorly expressed argument. The song IS this way, its not that the rhythm is overmapped too much, most of the rhythms mapped in the first 3/5 are shitty but acceptable. There is nothing wrong with the SR dip, because all I care about is that the music is at LEAST mapped correctly in terms of rhythm, which Monstrata mostly accomplished (other than the massive clusterfuck that is the 1/4 spams). Asking for the mapper to overmap the 2nd part or undermap the 1st part will almost always be a bad idea.

This disgusting excuse of a "rankable map" needs more solid disagreements

Statements:

>Comparing Mazzerin to Monstrata

I'm sorry, but you HAVE to be blind to compare these two in any sense. Their only similarities are song choices, and I'm only referring to one map of Monstrata's: this fucking abomination. The flow is nothing like Mazzerin's, the aesthetics is nothing like Mazzerin's. I'm sorry but Mazzerin actually makes some tasteful sliders, not this pile of trash. IMO Mazzerin doesn't even try to place obnoxious pp jumps all over the place JUST for SR, the intensity of the song doesn't even allow for such high level jumps. 02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) - literally has twice the drums of 02:53:686 (1) - , and yet the fucking diff spike is somehow permitted? Only an obnoxious display of pushing the limits of "ranking" just for the sake of it.

>Shiirn's mod

Very helpful, Shiirn basically pointed out every (obvious) thing that should be fixed: The obnoxious jumps, the bad timings and most of all the "aesthetics" of the map. Won't even try to go against it, because Shiirn isn't wrong in any sense lmao

>Comparing beginner mappers to Monstrata

Essentially everything wrong with this map. Its like a beginner map, except that this mapper is well-known, and hence has backers, and the fact that somehow intending to make the map like this makes it ok doesn't sound right to me at all. Literally if this map can rank, any beginner map with their shitty map if hyped to this level can probably rank as well. The only reasons why this map will probably rank has already been stated before: Well-known mapper + Circlejerk + Obnoxious intention. This is not ok lmao

I'm basically agreeing with Ekoro, Warpyc, Jaitonat, Kiyohime, Broccoly and Kuki (sorry if I missed out some names) as of now. I basically restated their arguments since my points are basically theirs'. Up till now, I haven't seen any sound agreement to ranking this map AT ALL, other than the sake of a disgustingly obnoxious statement. If anyone else at the popularity of Monstrata were to try and rank something like this I would rag on them the same way, because this sad excuse of a "ranking system" is still too circlejerk-prone. The qualification of this map will only show how much of a massive fucking circlejerk and how much of a joke the power levels are dictated are rn. Call me a killer of creativity, but I personally think this map WILL BE the downfall of creativity, because if rules have to be put in place for this map to be kept in check it would be a horrible sight to witness.

On to more substantial map related points:

00:27:409 (1,1) - This is clearly not Monstrata-esque flow. The unintuitive-ness of this flow is very disconcerting
00:28:496 (3,4,1,2,3,4) - ^
00:43:473 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - ^
00:45:520 (2,3,4,1) - ^
00:49:949 (1,2,3,4,1) - ^
00:56:864 (3,4,5,6) - ^
01:43:942 (1,2,3) - ^
02:04:611 (3,4,1) - ^
02:11:659 (2,3,4) - ^
02:17:227 (2,1,2,3,4) - ^

00:34:933 (1,2) - I find this very hard to land because of the fact that you're mapping to absolutely nothing here. Especially with the vocal emphasis right after that you're obviously mapping to, I'd rather you time to the vocals instead of whatever you were trying to map to
00:40:066 (1,2,3) - This triplet is CLEARLY an overmap, there was nothing that justified the triplet
01:02:466 (1) - A pretty big number of slow sliders here are CLEARLY not timed well, or I just have absolutely no idea what you were mapping to: guitar or vocal, because it seems like there is dissonant emphasis in this whole region
01:24:363 (1,2) - Consistency for rhythm similar to 00:21:206 (1,2) - , there was no vocal at 01:24:363 (1) - , which was kinda indicated to me before that it doesn't warrant a 1/2 slider
01:35:594 (2,3,4,5) - The focus in vocal right before (and right after btw) suddenly shifts to drum mapping, it makes no sense to me, just retime it or something

I'm trying to be objective about it because somehow this is the best kind of flow/rhythm Monstrata can pull out his ass.

If the focus on every map is only about playability we might as well just not bother with nazi mods anymore, because every UGLY thing despite having mildly acceptable flow can be refuted with "oh its just my a e s t h e t i c". While most people will stop bothering with mappers who map to their aesthetic ideals, somehow its not the case with Monstrata SOLELY because he's popular.

Just to piss people off even more: L o .x dd

ko im done hre re xd
Lagel
TLDR:

estellia- wrote:

I'm basically agreeing with Ekoro, Warpyc, Jaitonat, Kiyohime, Broccoly and Kuki (sorry if I missed out some names) as of now.
emilia

Lagel wrote:

TLDR:

estellia- wrote:

I'm basically agreeing with Ekoro, Warpyc, Jaitonat, Kiyohime, Broccoly and Kuki (sorry if I missed out some names) as of now.
not even wrong :DD
Sieg

estellia- wrote:

so many shit arguments in this thread

its 0502 in the morning

have this beauty of a remap
nice one
anna apple

Kibbleru wrote:

any1 experienced enough to play this will be able to play the slow parts fine with ar10 anyways

no u must change ar mid song!! kek
Fezu
snip
anna apple

Shiirn wrote:

I'll repeat what I said briefly.

A map that is intentionally bad is still, in the end, bad. That's the biggest reason I personally disagree with this map as it sits right now. It's an intentional affront to the opinions of dozens and possibly hundreds of community members.

Each individual, particular issue the map has - the intentionally messy aesthetics, the incongruity of the map's focus on vocals, drums, or guitar, the blatant fake difficulty - are individually whatever. Each has reasons that can stand up on their own, even if they stand up like a drunken two year old. But all of the problems combine to just make this clearly a map set out with a specific message. One that is offensive and arrogant.
I didn't look too in-depth on the points you stated that are in black, only the one in red. The intentionally messy aesthetics fit the song in my opinion, and here is why:
  1. The music sounds pretty rushed.
  2. it's consistently done
What to look in for in the map?
  1. Does the mapping fit the song?
  2. Is the song consistently represented?
Just because monstrata isn't making triangles doesn't mean it's a bad thing. stop stop drama upload so annoying xD
Cherry Blossom
Everything has been said, Thank you estellia-
Kuki

Cherry Blossom wrote:

Everything has been said, Thank you estellia-
zzzzz
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Thanks for the valuable feedback guys!

I decided to nerf the sections that some people were discussing earlier:

1. AR 9.7 > AR 10 is being reconsidered, I will discuss with the BN's (if i find any) who will push this forward.
  2. All 1/4 triplets in the intro (00:17:766 - ) and 01:22:624 - have been replaced with 1/3 repeats. Some patterns have also been altered to give lower spacing to these repeats.
  3. 00:59:022 - Removed the entire jump section, and used a more consistent rhythm with what was given earlier. The spacing does increase, but I believe that's fair since I want to create a rise in intensity.
  4. 01:01:580 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Reduced spacing a bit, and made the pattern more structurally sound so when people see it they have a better spatial perception of it.
  5. 01:37:469 - The overmap here has been removed.
  6. 01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - Nerfed the spacing, improved the flow and entry angle into the stream. Also made the quads more structured.
  7. 02:33:117 (8,1) - The streamjump here has been nerfed.
  8. 02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) - Decided to nerf the spacing here. Even Hollow Wings said it was too much. That's when you know you've gone too far.
I believe that covers the majority of the issues here. Timing has also been improved, thanks to those who messaged me in private with alternative timing points and solutions. I'll give a more detailed reply to the remaining mods later.

Thanks again for all your comments. They mean a lot to me.
Topic Starter
Monstrata

estellia- wrote:

i think you guys liked this map (its fucking hilarious) maybe i'll throw my 2 cents out here

00:27:409 (1,1) - This is clearly not Monstrata-esque flow. The unintuitive-ness of this flow is very disconcerting This plays just fine. As an authority of Monstrata-esque flows, I must disagree.
00:28:496 (3,4,1,2,3,4) - ^ Flows just fine for me.
00:43:473 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - ^ I think your complaint might be the shape of 00:44:016 (5) - so I've changed that to iron out any awkwardness with this entry angle.
00:45:520 (2,3,4,1) - ^ I don't see anything wrong here. The angles are sharper than usual, but this is just inward flow.
00:49:949 (1,2,3,4,1) - ^ Simple zigzag flow. I use this a lot in my regular maps, I think if the arrangement were nicer you would have considered it perfectly fine.
00:56:864 (3,4,5,6) - ^ This one's intentional. All of my flow selection so far has been either back/forth or rotation, all using sharp angles. I wanted to use an obtuse angle here for some variety. If its too much, this is an easy change anyways.
01:43:942 (1,2,3) - ^ Perfectly normal flow. Don't let the slider-shape trick you into thinking 2>3 is poor flow. Remember that players will be very keen on cutting corners and abusing slider-leniency on this map, especially since every slider is mangled. While it bends rightwards into a hook, you will play the slider by moving leftward smoothly.
02:04:611 (3,4,1) - ^ Flow's perfectly fine here too. The arrangement here is actually something you can find in my Hikouki Gumo map.
02:11:659 (2,3,4) - ^ Same as earlier. Don't let the slider-shape misguide you on how the pattern will flow. This is perfectly fine.
02:17:227 (2,1,2,3,4) - ^ I don't even know what to say here. The others I can see your misconceptions, but here its just a jump pattern. It's even a perfect pentagon with consistent 36 degree jumps.

00:34:933 (1,2) - I find this very hard to land because of the fact that you're mapping to absolutely nothing here. Especially with the vocal emphasis right after that you're obviously mapping to, I'd rather you time to the vocals instead of whatever you were trying to map to Buzz sound. It's a good transition from the 1/4 repeats at 00:34:474 (5) - as those aren't mapping to vocals either (as there aren't any). I adjusted the timing here though, thanks!
00:40:066 (1,2,3) - This triplet is CLEARLY an overmap, there was nothing that justified the triplet This is necessary because there needs to be a 1/2 of a beat where the player is forced to pause their movement. Nothing else will work. Making 00:39:852 (6) - a repeat is awkward. Creating a 1/1 gap is also going to cause reading issues due to 1/1 looking like 1/2. Why is a pause necessary? Because the vocal begins on the red tick where you are expecting it to begin immediately on the white tick. Triplets also create a flow reset which help transition from the structured and geometric movements of the earler section to a chaotic jump pattern after. I already touched about this in fieryrage's mod reply. Also I don't think this is a clear overmap because of te guitar's ambiguity. Like i said, I believe the guitarist actually intended to play 1/4's here, but couldn't keep up with 280 bpm triplets himself.
01:02:466 (1) - A pretty big number of slow sliders here are CLEARLY not timed well, or I just have absolutely no idea what you were mapping to: guitar or vocal, because it seems like there is dissonant emphasis in this whole region Going for the bass here, not guitar or vocals. Tey just all happen to align, and all happen to have different offsets. I made some minor changes to two red lines (-5ms) though.
01:24:363 (1,2) - Consistency for rhythm similar to 00:21:206 (1,2) - , there was no vocal at 01:24:363 (1) - , which was kinda indicated to me before that it doesn't warrant a 1/2 slider Hmm... I think both are fine. You can argue consistency if you want, but I think both rhythm choices are acceptable, and the time in between is far too great for anyone to notice them while playing. It's an easy change anyways, so i'll just prepare a fix.
01:35:594 (2,3,4,5) - The focus in vocal right before (and right after btw) suddenly shifts to drum mapping, it makes no sense to me, just retime it or something Sorry if it makes no sense to you :(.

I'm trying to be objective about it because somehow this is the best kind of flow/rhythm Monstrata can pull out his ass.

If the focus on every map is only about playability we might as well just not bother with nazi mods anymore, because every UGLY thing despite having mildly acceptable flow can be refuted with "oh its just my a e s t h e t i c". While most people will stop bothering with mappers who map to their aesthetic ideals, somehow its not the case with Monstrata SOLELY because he's popular.

Just to piss people off even more: L o .x dd

ko im done hre re xd
Thanks for your contributions!!
emilia
where is the kds

e 

Topic Starter
Monstrata
My bad~
HabiHolic
Star. good luck!
show more