Total Posts
show more
Ascendance
wew
Kaine
Congrats on rank
Weber

zoesan wrote:

However, when looking at mazzerin maps, every note feels like it was placed there for a reason.
This... well, this not so much.
yeh i agree he's really good at mapping anti-flow xdddddddddd

new hardest rank map hype
Shiirn
Suggestions
Major suggestions
Unrankable issues

Well.... we did have an agreement.

Extraterrestrial
  1. I am 90% sure that parts of this are inaccurately timed, especially the vocal-focused areas such as 00:35:790 - . On first pass I didn't see anything iffy but for that one section in particular, but maybe a couple of checks by... a few more knowledgeable and experienced modders would be a good idea.
  2. I understand that you intentionally made a lot of this map look messy to fit with the theme of the crazy bullshit going on. But there are many points where there are clear oversights as opposed to intentional departures from reason.
  3. 00:00:946 - The whine doesn't actually start up until around here. Have the start of the slider be of lower volume and use alternating custom sets with increasing volume to cause the slidertrack to increase in volume over time as well? It's a neat technique.
  4. 00:30:198 (3,4) - It's weird for these to be unstacked but 00:30:836 (3) - is manually stacked.
  5. 00:31:903 (3,4) - somethingsomething crappy blanket, i do this all the time whatever
  6. 00:36:647 (1,2,3,4) - The blanketting for this pattern is off. While you're at it, maybe make the endings for 1 and 2 naturally sit in the middle of 3 and 4's slider tracks.
  7. 00:38:997 (7) - This... isn't like you at all. Try putting it under 00:38:570 (3) - ?
  8. 00:40:066 (1,2,3) - Stacking makes this look a bit weird. Manually move it over so 1 is at x:103|y:264.
  9. 00:41:771 (1,4) - Stacking is off by a few pixels.
  10. 00:45:734 (3) - This is clearly intentionally ugly, but it's so intentionally ugly it's just hideous and doesn't feel right at all. There's nothing special about the voice here to warrant it either.
  11. 00:56:650 (2) - Another one of those weird sliders. I know you're doing the whole "just sometimes they're fucking crazy!" thing but there are points where they fit and points where they don't. This is just random.
  12. 00:58:150 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Found one of the SR jacking sections. Brave new world was just DQ'd for having dumb back and forths where they didn't fit the music at all. Most notably, there are points in this section where they could arguably fit, namely, where the vocalist is having a seizure, but these jumps continue even when there are just the normal, boring drums are going and it just generally feels completely disconnected from the music. This particular section could really, really use a do-over.
  13. 01:29:719 (1,2,3) - bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbblankets. Like, if they were clearly meant to not be blankets, that'd be fine, but they're right at the level where they almost blanket so it looks like an oversight rather than intentional.
  14. 01:30:576 (4,5) - suddenly a psuedo-catmull? Sometimes linear nodes get separated into two bezier nodes if you're screwing around at the wrong timing snap. I think these sliders were intended to be linear. Of course, if you intentionally did that weirdo bug then it's fine. I did it myself on Routing.
  15. 01:34:630 (1,1) - weird stacking issues caused by stacking under 01:35:808 (3) - ?
  16. 01:36:772 (5) - If your mouse is randomly clicking things, please consult your doctor
  17. 01:37:469 (4) - There actually isn't a beat here. Just... fyi, i guess?
  18. 01:41:219 (4,1) - hahahaha fuck you. But really, this makes zero sense. at least 01:41:433 (4,1) - is A) circle->slider, and B) a new section so it actually fits.
  19. 01:53:257 (1,2) - hngggh it's so ugly
  20. 01:56:760 (1,5) - hngggh it's so ugly
  21. 02:13:512 (2) - Doesn't this slider fail to be a burai slider by like a pixel? ew.
  22. 02:20:580 (5,1) - these aren't even like the others are. But i doubt anyone would notice.
  23. 02:26:362 - this section: uh yeah whatever lol
  24. 02:30:599 (9) - there is an actual new stanza here but whether it needs a new combo or not ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you had new combos and even a new pattern previously but you didn't do it here, and the musical patterning is the same.... holy fuck is shiirn about to say "consistency"? Heck, for the entire section, you had sets of 8,4 then 8,4, but the next two are just straight 12 long. Choose one and stick with it, it's a normal, typical 4-repeat pattern.
  25. 02:44:346 (2,1) - overlap made specifically to trigger people, make it overlap more or don't overlap at all?
  26. 02:51:908 (1) - These will always play like ass, and I would be disappointed to see this map be ranked without changes to these sliders. I'm also 80% sure they're timed wrong, so even if a player is correctly bobbing their cursor they still might break because it's not accurate.
  27. 03:08:850 (3) - Remove whistle from end.
  28. 03:25:972 (2,3,4,5) - These aren't accurate triangles and that's unlike you. If you don't care, proceed as usual.
  29. 03:55:342 (1) - The drum whistles here don't seem to be following any particular instrument, nor are they following any particular pattern. Are they really random?
  30. 04:01:581 - From here on they're fine.
  31. Cute "S T O P" you got there.

In summary, the map is fairly okay, but poses three significant issues of contention:

1. The jump section starting at 00:58:150 - and ending at 01:02:466 -

It doesn't seem to follow any sort of musical pattern within the song whatsoever, except that it's at the end of the chorus, such as it is. It doesn't follow the vocals (e.g. being much larger when the voices are gargling gravel, smaller when it's just drums), and following just the drums leads to weirdness as there are clear vocal stanza changes at 00:58:793 - and 00:59:444 - and every 4th beat after that. Logically, the first one is the big problem - it starts on the third beat, not the fourth beat, so it throws off the entire thing because it means you can't do pretty 8-note sets anymore. But that's your job as the mapper to figure out; it's lazy to just throw down the most basic musical pattern that "sort of fits".

2. The back-and-forth sliders from 02:50:353 - to 02:55:353 - . Let's just ignore the completely pants-on-head retarded jumps after them.

As far as gimmicks go, it's an interesting one to have the player need to bounce their cursor back and forth in rhythm with a slider. But if you want to do that, make sure they're timed correctly. And given that the guitar and drums are audibly out of sync, this poses a significant problem: Namely, that the sliders are meant to follow the guitar strumming, but they follow the timing of the drums. There are several places where they are very out of sync, namely in spots such as 02:51:491 - , 02:51:741 - , 02:52:491 - , etc etc etc. It really sucks, but these should probably go back to the drawing board. Let me be clear when I say I really like the idea and concept of these sliders, but I don't think they can really be done well here. And finally,

3. A map that is intentionally incredibly ugly is still, in the end, incredibly ugly.

"Duh", you think. But it also means that you're intentionally forgoing what normally amounts to "quality control" and only serves to make you look like kind of a tool. I'm as much of a Big Fan of theming and intentionally going against the grain as far as simple aesthetics go, but this is kind of pushing it, especially since it will gain a lot of attention as an 8* potential map.

Thanks for your time.
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Shiirn wrote:

Suggestions
Major suggestions
Unrankable issues

Well.... we did have an agreement.

Extraterrestrial
  1. I am 90% sure that parts of this are inaccurately timed, especially the vocal-focused areas such as 00:35:790 - . On first pass I didn't see anything iffy but for that one section in particular, but maybe a couple of checks by... a few more knowledgeable and experienced modders would be a good idea. I'm almost always following instruments. The vocal focus will almost always also be on an instrumental note. I did change the timing slightly for sections where i wanted to follow vocals because with a track like this, understandably, some parts have a different offset based on what you want to follow. I basically asked pishi to time everything to instruments as that's how I would naturally map.
  2. I understand that you intentionally made a lot of this map look messy to fit with the theme of the crazy bullshit going on. But there are many points where there are clear oversights as opposed to intentional departures from reason.
  3. 00:00:946 - The whine doesn't actually start up until around here. Have the start of the slider be of lower volume and use alternating custom sets with increasing volume to cause the slidertrack to increase in volume over time as well? It's a neat technique. i want to keep it because the guitar whine or whatever you call it is already jarring enough. I don't think it requires any hitsounding. Rather, hitsounding would only detract from the sound by creating more noise.
  4. 00:30:198 (3,4) - It's weird for these to be unstacked but 00:30:836 (3) - is manually stacked. Reduced stack leniency to 6
  5. 00:31:903 (3,4) - somethingsomething crappy blanket, i do this all the time whatever Made it worse
  6. 00:36:647 (1,2,3,4) - The blanketting for this pattern is off. While you're at it, maybe make the endings for 1 and 2 naturally sit in the middle of 3 and 4's slider tracks. Fixed slider 3, the rest are fine for me.
  7. 00:38:997 (7) - This... isn't like you at all. Try putting it under 00:38:570 (3) - ? I want to create a second revolution in terms of flow. Basically a 5 point counterclockwise flow, then a 3 point, going into the second pentagon. The idea is to have the flow as well as the placement become more chaotic as the pattern spirals out of structure.
  8. 00:40:066 (1,2,3) - Stacking makes this look a bit weird. Manually move it over so 1 is at x:103|y:264. Did a manual stack
  9. 00:41:771 (1,4) - Stacking is off by a few pixels. Fixed
  10. 00:45:734 (3) - This is clearly intentionally ugly, but it's so intentionally ugly it's just hideous and doesn't feel right at all. There's nothing special about the voice here to warrant it either. I dislike it too.
  11. 00:56:650 (2) - Another one of those weird sliders. I know you're doing the whole "just sometimes they're fucking crazy!" thing but there are points where they fit and points where they don't. This is just random. It contributes to the general theme. I'm not going to normalize a slider just because it doesn't need to be weird :P.
  12. 00:58:150 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - Found one of the SR jacking sections. Brave new world was just DQ'd for having dumb back and forths where they didn't fit the music at all. Most notably, there are points in this section where they could arguably fit, namely, where the vocalist is having a seizure, but these jumps continue even when there are just the normal, boring drums are going and it just generally feels completely disconnected from the music. This particular section could really, really use a do-over. We just have to disagree then, because I think these fit perfectly well with the instruments. Actually, I would have made everything past 00:55:579 (1) - into single tap jumps, but I'm already doing that on quaver so i'll leave this be.
  13. 01:29:719 (1,2,3) - bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbblankets. Like, if they were clearly meant to not be blankets, that'd be fine, but they're right at the level where they almost blanket so it looks like an oversight rather than intentional. Im glad theyre triggering people :D
  14. 01:30:576 (4,5) - suddenly a psuedo-catmull? Sometimes linear nodes get separated into two bezier nodes if you're screwing around at the wrong timing snap. I think these sliders were intended to be linear. Of course, if you intentionally did that weirdo bug then it's fine. I did it myself on Routing. Yea its intentional xD.
  15. 01:34:630 (1,1) - weird stacking issues caused by stacking under 01:35:808 (3) - ? Fixed with the stack leniency decrease
  16. 01:36:772 (5) - If your mouse is randomly clicking things, please consult your doctor yes
  17. 01:37:469 (4) - There actually isn't a beat here. Just... fyi, i guess? I like it. at 100% the vocals really sound like there are 1/4's so i didn't bother slowing down. Maybe the beat doesnt exist, in which case i'll just tastefully overmap because of the vocals at 100%.
  18. 01:41:219 (4,1) - hahahaha fuck you. But really, this makes zero sense. at least 01:41:433 (4,1) - is A) circle->slider, and B) a new section so it actually fits. I'm told this is the hardest pattern in the game. It must deserve a place in the hardest map to be ranked.
  19. 01:53:257 (1,2) - hngggh it's so ugly Thanks
  20. 01:56:760 (1,5) - hngggh it's so ugly I got anti-blanket mods.
  21. 02:13:512 (2) - Doesn't this slider fail to be a burai slider by like a pixel? ew. yes
  22. 02:20:580 (5,1) - these aren't even like the others are. But i doubt anyone would notice. Doubt anyone will, but theres a hihat here too.
  23. 02:26:362 - this section: uh yeah whatever lol whatever xD
  24. 02:30:599 (9) - there is an actual new stanza here but whether it needs a new combo or not ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you had new combos and even a new pattern previously but you didn't do it here, and the musical patterning is the same.... holy fuck is shiirn about to say "consistency"? Heck, for the entire section, you had sets of 8,4 then 8,4, but the next two are just straight 12 long. Choose one and stick with it, it's a normal, typical 4-repeat pattern. This one's not so much an NC of rhythm but one of flow and intended movement. Where i don't NC, its just one consistent back/forth movement. Where i do NC< there is a change of flow/intended movement.
  25. 02:44:346 (2,1) - overlap made specifically to trigger people, make it overlap more or don't overlap at all? nah i prefer to trigger people
  26. 02:51:908 (1) - These will always play like ass, and I would be disappointed to see this map be ranked without changes to these sliders. I'm also 80% sure they're timed wrong, so even if a player is correctly bobbing their cursor they still might break because it's not accurate. I like them. You're prompted to play them, but here the player can move the slider up and down independently, without actually following the slider. Rather, if they just play it based on rhythm, it will feel like the sliderball is following their cursor instead, and thats why I really enjoy this. I can actually get 300's every time i play this using that mindset lol. The wave slider is useful for maintaining momentum going into the jumps too, because traditionally these repeat sliders are played with minimal movement due to slider leniency. You'll notice the length of the slider is about 0.75x the length of the jumps (for scaling reasons with the previous two sliders). It's done to allow players to wind up and prepare for the jumps.
  27. 03:08:850 (3) - Remove whistle from end. Hmm... I like it though...
  28. 03:25:972 (2,3,4,5) - These aren't accurate triangles and that's unlike you. If you don't care, proceed as usual. Rhombus pattern
  29. 03:55:342 (1) - The drum whistles here don't seem to be following any particular instrument, nor are they following any particular pattern. Are they really random? Main melody here ;o. Which is basically "what i would hum"
  30. 04:01:581 - From here on they're fine.
  31. Cute "S T O P" you got there.

In summary, the map is fairly okay, but poses three significant issues of contention:

1. The jump section starting at 00:58:150 - and ending at 01:02:466 -

It doesn't seem to follow any sort of musical pattern within the song whatsoever, except that it's at the end of the chorus, such as it is. It doesn't follow the vocals (e.g. being much larger when the voices are gargling gravel, smaller when it's just drums), and following just the drums leads to weirdness as there are clear vocal stanza changes at 00:58:793 - and 00:59:444 - and every 4th beat after that. Logically, the first one is the big problem - it starts on the third beat, not the fourth beat, so it throws off the entire thing because it means you can't do pretty 8-note sets anymore. But that's your job as the mapper to figure out; it's lazy to just throw down the most basic musical pattern that "sort of fits".

2. The back-and-forth sliders from 02:50:353 - to 02:55:353 - . Let's just ignore the completely pants-on-head retarded jumps after them.

As far as gimmicks go, it's an interesting one to have the player need to bounce their cursor back and forth in rhythm with a slider. But if you want to do that, make sure they're timed correctly. And given that the guitar and drums are audibly out of sync, this poses a significant problem: Namely, that the sliders are meant to follow the guitar strumming, but they follow the timing of the drums. There are several places where they are very out of sync, namely in spots such as 02:51:491 - , 02:51:741 - , 02:52:491 - , etc etc etc. It really sucks, but these should probably go back to the drawing board. Let me be clear when I say I really like the idea and concept of these sliders, but I don't think they can really be done well here. And finally,

3. A map that is intentionally incredibly ugly is still, in the end, incredibly ugly.

"Duh", you think. But it also means that you're intentionally forgoing what normally amounts to "quality control" and only serves to make you look like kind of a tool. I'm as much of a Big Fan of theming and intentionally going against the grain as far as simple aesthetics go, but this is kind of pushing it, especially since it will gain a lot of attention as an 8* potential map. This is largely just aesthetic. I'm confident my flow choice and rhythms are strong, whereas most "ugly" maps are ugly because they don't use well-supported rhythms or contain really harsh flows. Basically, in terms of clicking and moving, the map is done in the highest quality I am capable of.

Thanks for your time.
Thanks for the mod!! I'll update with the changes when BN #2 comes around, unless Pereira wants me to update first.
deathmarc4
you were supposed to quote me and say "what award" so i could be really snarky and reply with this

Shiirn
For reference re the first slider:

Alternating custom sets allows the slider-slide hitsound to dynamically increase in volume. The default behavior is that slider-slide is a constant volume for the entire slider, but alternating custom sets causes the volume to actually change.

In essence, it'd be like -
Start of slider - 20%, also contains thesliderstart hitsound, no custom set
1/8 later - 22%, custom set 1
1/8 later - 25%, no custom set
1/8 later - 30%, custom set 1

etc until the whine is at full volume. This is how you can have a slider-slide hitsound increase or decrease in volume over time. I phrased it badly by implying that there should be actual custom hitsounds, I didn't mean that, just the default.

Would still be very disappointed if you pushed this through using the lowest quality mods possible.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Yea, I know what you mean xD. I've done that for maps in the past. The slider-slide just isn't necessary on that first slider.

Also, I don't think those mods are low quality :P. I did receive a lot of player and mapper input outside of this thread as I typically do.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
please no
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Ended up fixing some other stuff from Shiirn's mod, including redo'ing the jump section. I'm quite adamant about those repeat sliders though xD. Thanks for the feedback guys! Now im out.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
!!
Enkidu

this is a legendary map, have a kudosu star, this deserves a rank, arguably the best map i've seen in my two long years playing this game : ^)

edit: i'm serious i want to see this ranked lol
Seni
xd wtf
Spaghetti
lots of double posting y tho
Enkidu

Spaghetti wrote:

lots of double posting y tho

some guy made a post between monstrata's two posts there and it appears to be gone now
Reddit
As the official account of the Reddit website Kappa , I must add that this is literally the worst serious attempt at a ranked map I have ever seen and I've seen plenty of maps from brand new players who don't even know how the fuck to map. I actually like the song but Jesus fucking Christ actually try to map to the song instead of mapping for star rating.
Kayla

Monstrata wrote:

Also, I like to play 8 star maps for 3 minutes and then have two minutes of 2.5 star mapping. So now you know at least one person who enjoys it :D.
rank 26k. highest pp score 150pp on a 51 second 3.1 star DT map. likes playing 8 star maps for 3 minutes.
im sorry but do you even comprehend 8 stars? you can barely read 4.6 after 70,000 plays.

maybe the problem with you is you simply dont comprehend your own maps.
maybe thats why theyre bad. (except the delta triangle map, but thats unrankable too imo.)
Kayla
story of my wife for best ranked map 2017.

to be fair i dont think structure is the problem with this map, i think the difficulty is incredibly overkill i dont think a 20k player should be mapping 8.5 star maps (or anyone for that matter.) they clearly have no idea what theyre doing if theyre submitting an 8.5 star map claiming they play it. i dont think any of those kick sliders are remotely necessary even if they flow its just sliderbreak central with how sliders work in this game. humans are humans not robots. the full screen full speed squares are bonkers. the 1/4 stream jumps into slider. a lot of things are just unreasonable for ranking in my opinion. i think this sort of map pushes the bar too high, and i think HONESTLY if maps have a majority pass in the top 50 being halftime there is always a problem with difficulty.

also i dont think this song lends well to osu at all but whatever.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
I think you guys might enjoy this map too! https://osu.ppy.sh/s/423527

Coming to a pp farm near you.
Tassadar

Kayla wrote:

Monstrata wrote:

Also, I like to play 8 star maps for 3 minutes and then have two minutes of 2.5 star mapping. So now you know at least one person who enjoys it :D.
rank 26k. highest pp score 150pp on a 51 second 3.1 star DT map. likes playing 8 star maps for 3 minutes.
im sorry but do you even comprehend 8 stars? you can barely read 4.6 after 70,000 plays.

maybe the problem with you is you simply dont comprehend your own maps.
maybe thats why theyre bad. (except the delta triangle map, but thats unrankable too imo.)
rank 11k. highest pp score 200pp on a 3.62 star DT just over a minute long.
how can you fairly judge this map then? what gives you the right to say it's bad? you can't even comprehend it either.

I'm not saying rank matters - it's just by your own logic, you shouldn't be trying to form your own opinions. He's an incredibly experienced and knowledgeable mapper. You don't always need to be able to play it to comprehend it (though it is good if you can - but not necessary in every single case).
Kayla

Tassadar wrote:

how can you fairly judge this map then? what gives you the right to say it's bad? you can't even comprehend it either.

I'm not saying rank matters - it's just by your own logic, you shouldn't be trying to form your own opinions. He's an incredibly experienced and knowledgeable mapper. You don't always need to be able to play it to comprehend it (though it is good if you can - but not necessary in every single case).
that 200pp play is a complete joke, that map is overweighted. i have better plays worth less.

i replied that way because he said he "played it and enjoyed it"
that is the only reason i brought up rank, because he said he played this map.
and yes i think you do actually need to atleast be 4 digits to understand 8.5 stars within ranking criteria. ive been rank 3k and i still think that 7 star maps are pushing it for ranking. 8.5 is just silly.
squirrelpascals
Heya, decided to stop by and take another look at this map after seeing it got bubbled, because who can forget a map like this :lol:

hi
00:41:339 (5,1,2) - I don't feel like this plays well at all; at this speed; with 2's placement at least I feel like players will hold on the sliderhead of 1 causing sliderbreak-itis

00:49:081 (1,2,3,4) - space 2 and 3 more? dont see why not

00:50:710 (3,1,2,3,4) - how does this flow make sense?

01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - I feel like your putting all of your focus into the theme and ignoring flow. the sliders are ugly and all and that's fine but as a result the flow in this pattern is deficient. I use this pattern in the example below but it gets far worse at 02:26:362

01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - I don't feel like a 280bpm stream jump would be very adequate even for exageration, just make eack 3,4 a kickslider or something

02:27:195 (1,2,3,4) - This flows so randomly and object placement is just haphazard

02:29:099 (3) - with this specific sliderend being right next to the sliderhead I feel like this will call for a lot of sliderbreaks

02:31:563 (2) and 02:32:206 (8) - make it flow down less, players are going to jump straight toward the next circle yet these sliders are directed otherwise, causing breaks n stuff

One other thing I feel needs work on this map with it's theme of ugliness is the difference between an ugly and awkward overlap. An overlap can play well but still not look pretty. This is for all the points listed below

00:32:117 (4,1,2) - 4 and 2, the flow here feels so confined and cramped imo

00:37:822 (3,2,7) - I don't see a reason not to place this where 00:38:463 (2) is besides ugliness; this is just very out of place from 00:38:463 (2,3,4,5,6) making it awkward

01:36:022 (5,1) - the way this slider dips curves downward after flowing upward

kickslider patterns at 01:38:058 through 01:39:451 - and 02:26:362 through 02:31:028 - see above mod for 01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) . In the case of overlaps, i feel this happens because of the random spacing between each sliderhead. (Some of the patterns you use a gradual spacing increase between each; those overlaps have reasoning in them and thats fine)

This is just a clutter: 01:38:808 (8,2) -

Just stated some general stuff. I tried to respect your maps theme as much as I could; sorry if I infringed it. I just feel like this map is still in lack of some fundamentals because of its focus. Also, this is my first time modding a map with such an sr (i dont think im the only one here tho) so sorry if i messed up in that manner.

:o
Tassadar

Kayla wrote:

Tassadar wrote:

that 200pp play is a complete joke, that map is overweighted. i have better plays worth less.

i replied that way because he said he "played it and enjoyed it"
that is the only reason i brought up rank, because he said he played this map.
and yes i think you do actually need to atleast be 4 digits to understand 8.5 stars within ranking criteria. ive been rank 3k and i still think that 7 star maps are pushing it for ranking. 8.5 is just silly.
4 digits is way too low to understand 8.5 stars, and a tad too low to understand even 7 stars completely probably
also does he really need to put /s at the end of "I enjoy 3 minutes of 8.5 stars and 2 minutes of 2.5 stars", I thought it was apparent that he was joking lmao
Lagel

Tassadar wrote:

4 digits is way too low to understand 8.5 stars, and a tad too low to understand even 7 stars completely probably
you overestimate 7 stars bruh
Topic Starter
Monstrata

squirrelpascals wrote:

Heya, decided to stop by and take another look at this map after seeing it got bubbled, because who can forget a map like this :lol:

hi
00:41:339 (5,1,2) - I don't feel like this plays well at all; at this speed; with 2's placement at least I feel like players will hold on the sliderhead of 1 causing sliderbreak-itis Fair enough. I moved 2 closer to 1's slider-end.

00:49:081 (1,2,3,4) - space 2 and 3 more? dont see why not True. changed the pattern here.

00:50:710 (3,1,2,3,4) - how does this flow make sense? It does...? It plays well for me. The flow is inward and creating cross shapes. It's a flow i use a lot in my jumps.

01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - I feel like your putting all of your focus into the theme and ignoring flow. the sliders are ugly and all and that's fine but as a result the flow in this pattern is deficient. I use this pattern in the example below but it gets far worse at 02:26:362 This flow analysis is just wrong... Please consider the kicksliders as circles and analyse the movement based on that. you'll see the actual movement is a simple back/forth zigzag pattern. Sliders are calculated to be short enough to avoid ever slider-breaking and they are arranged so that the slider-ball is going in the same direction as the player's general movement direction too.

01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - I don't feel like a 280bpm stream jump would be very adequate even for exageration, just make eack 3,4 a kickslider or something Nah, i prefer the stream. I think it's quite fitting here after those kicksliders.

02:27:195 (1,2,3,4) - This flows so randomly and object placement is just haphazard This flows perfectly fine. I think you just analyzed the flow incorrectly...

02:29:099 (3) - with this specific sliderend being right next to the sliderhead I feel like this will call for a lot of sliderbreaks That won't happen though... slider-ends being next to slider-heads won't cause breaks, if anything it would prevent breaks because only sliderhead/ticks/tails are factored in to sliderbreaks... (take HW's Notch Hell map for example).

02:31:563 (2) and 02:32:206 (8) - make it flow down less, players are going to jump straight toward the next circle yet these sliders are directed otherwise, causing breaks n stuff Same as above, your flow analysis isn't accurate to how the patter will actually be played.

One other thing I feel needs work on this map with it's theme of ugliness is the difference between an ugly and awkward overlap. An overlap can play well but still not look pretty. This is for all the points listed below

00:32:117 (4,1,2) - 4 and 2, the flow here feels so confined and cramped imo Flow's fine to me... its a counterclockwise inward flow.

00:37:822 (3,2,7) - I don't see a reason not to place this where 00:38:463 (2) is besides ugliness; this is just very out of place from 00:38:463 (2,3,4,5,6) making it awkward Already explained this on Shiirn's mod, It's done for a second sharped flow revolution before the jumps spiral out of control and structure.

01:36:022 (5,1) - the way this slider dips curves downward after flowing upward The flow is fine here. actually it plays quite well... Also factor in slider-leniency too.

kickslider patterns at 01:38:058 through 01:39:451 - and 02:26:362 through 02:31:028 - see above mod for 01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) . In the case of overlaps, i feel this happens because of the random spacing between each sliderhead. (Some of the patterns you use a gradual spacing increase between each; those overlaps have reasoning in them and thats fine) All slider-heads are visible, which is what's most important. I would say it's the only factor too because from the arrangement you can already see where all the sliders are pointing (their general direction anyways).

This is just a clutter: 01:38:808 (8,2) -

Just stated some general stuff. I tried to respect your maps theme as much as I could; sorry if I infringed it. I just feel like this map is still in lack of some fundamentals because of its focus. Also, this is my first time modding a map with such an sr (i dont think im the only one here tho) so sorry if i messed up in that manner.

:o
Thanks for the mod!!
Lagel

Nyari wrote:

ITT a ton of people who cannot comprehend the map nor mapping complaining about star rating and their correlation to ranks with some "I can't play this therefore it's a bad map"

Seriously, if you don't like the map, don't play it. Everyone being able to play a certain map isn't a part of the ranking criteria, nor is mapping in a certain way.
this isn't art it's a game, there's nothing complex to comprehend
Reddit

Nyari wrote:

ITT a ton of people who cannot comprehend the map nor mapping complaining about star rating and their correlation to ranks with some "I can't play this therefore it's a bad map"

Seriously, if you don't like the map, don't play it. Everyone being able to play a certain map isn't a part of the ranking criteria, nor is mapping in a certain way.
lol no, the issue is how a low quality extremely high star rating map can get bubbled so casually when its almost impossible for anyone else besides Mazzerin to get the same response (probably because his maps are extremely well designed with tons of effort put in to making it as high quality as possible), and its pretty obvious this map isn't even made to be quality, its only made to be a very high star map because "le harder is le cooler xd". Either put effort into making something of quality or just don't make the ranking system become worse than it already is, oh wait that one triangle only map got ranked so looks like that's already done. It baffles me how people continue to deny the mapper circle jerk still.
Lagel

Reddit wrote:

Nyari wrote:

lol no, the issue is how a low quality extremely high star rating map can get bubbled so casually when its almost impossible for anyone else besides Mazzerin to get the same response (probably because his maps are extremely well designed with tons of effort put in to making it as high quality as possible), and its pretty obvious this map isn't even made to be quality, its only made to be a very high star map because "le harder is le cooler xd". Either put effort into making something of quality or just don't make the ranking system become worse than it already is, oh wait that one triangle only map got ranked so looks like that's already done. It baffles me how people continue to deny the mapper circle jerk still.
There needs to be no mapper favouritism. Guarantee if this was made by anyone else it wouldn't have had the attention it does, it would be just another shitty graveyard map
Akali
Intro section, this 01:22:624 (1) - one, and 02:26;362 (1,2) - this one are played in triplets (1/3s). In last section even vocal doesn't justify 1/4 slider jumps as it's 1/1 not 1/2
Rohit6

Jaitonat wrote:

00:17:766 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) -

This entire section is overmapped as 1/4th, notes mapped to the guitar should be snapped to 1/3rd. Doesnt fit well on any other offset, isnt a bpm thing either; just snap 2 1/3rd plz its awful

listen to the notes at 50% playback speed when they're all snapped to 1/3rd and they sound perfectly fine
asked a few people (Akali,BOUYAAA,etc) and i got mixed answers , but I feel that it should be 1/3 too
VINXIS

Reddit wrote:

brb

btw i also hear 1/3 EXCEPT for 02:26:362 (1,2) - i hear it fine this way tbh.
Sieg
hello apparition wannabe

confirming from my part that guitar in intro 1/3

also, don't you feel like those patterns overextended?
01:01:151 (3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) -
02:55:471 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1) -

also, while 1/4 sliders can be justified(?), I don't see much support for placing just streams there:
01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) -
02:32:742 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) -
Timorisu
This is seriously the worst thing I've ever seen. The only reason this gets attention and people defending it is because a relatively known mapper mapped it, seriously? If some rank 50k made this and tried to rank it there's no way in hell it'd be possible. If this gets ranked the ranking system needs a serious overhaul.

Also ITT 9Ks battling with 10Ks over who has the better plays, I fucking can't
BOUYAAA
Should be 1/3 as said above

there are still alot of questionable things in the map imo though

rythm is kinda fucked in some places like here 01:38:058 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - etc i'm guessing you're doing that kickslider stuff because vocals go crazy or something but you're not following the vocals so yea feels super weird

some pretty ugly overmaps too like 01:37:362 (2,3,4,5) - idk it's probably not 1/4
01:41:058 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1) - this one is pretty lol with the streamjumps and all

don't have time to look at the rest but yea

idk
joolomasta
I won't be commenting on the playability of the map because i'm only rank 6k (LUL). Instead, a few things come to mind. Let's take a look at some facts about this map.

1) This map would have the highest star rating of a ranked map in the game
2) The map has 2 minutes of 3* mapping (yes, it fits that part of the song)
3) The map boasts a load of really ugly-looking patterns and sliders which are most likely awkward to play. According to the mapper, this is intentional.
4) The map was speedbubbled after a few mods
5) People have pointed out several mistimed sections

In my opinion, combining facts 1 and 2 shouldn't be happening. It's generally considered wise to keep the map's difficulty somewhat consistent, as far as the song allows for it. This map is straying away from the principle by a huge margin. The first half is only playable by a few top players, the second half, however, is way easier. There will be no type of player who can enjoy the whole map because either the beginning will be way overwhelming or the last 2 minutes will be a painful bore. This song is clearly not suitable to be mapped as the hardest map in the game, yet the mapper decided to do this.

Next we come to point 3 and 4. We are talking about the fairness of the ranking system here. If a mapper who didn't have several ranked maps under his belt uploaded this map, they would be heavily criticized for the ugly mapping style. If they responded to the criticism by saying that it was intentional because the song is ugly, i can 100% guarantee you that the mapper would be literally laughed out. Nobody would ever consider the map for ranking. Most likely the map would be considered a joke and graveyard material. But this isn't what happened here. So where is the difference?

The difference in attitude towards the map was because it was mapped by a well-known person with a lot of friends in the beatmap nominator team. The current state of the ranking system lets a person who knows the right people to speedrank any map that is even reasonably decent. This happened pretty recently with Monstrata's speedranked triangle meme map. It was obvious that the map was made with memes and a funny idea in mind, yet it was quickly bubbled and ranked by his friends. This map getting bubbled now just shows how the system is heavily biased in the favor of well known mappers. It seems almost that if you have made a few maps that are high quality in the past, you don't need to keep up the quality in your future maps. Obviously this wasn't looked at very carefully if several people started pointing out mistimed sections AFTER the map already getting bubbled.

TL;DR: Map ranking system is biased towards well known mappers, who can get even low quality maps ranked with the help of their connections in the BN. Also, the song isn't fit to be the highest star rating map in the game (because of the long easy part).

As a side note, when this gets ranked (it will), you can probably start ranking some of the well-known jump practice maps, too.
Lagel

joolomasta wrote:

As a side note, when this gets ranked (it will), you can probably start ranking some of the well-known jump practice maps, every unranked map too.
ftfy
Reyvateil

Lagel wrote:

this isn't art it's a game, there's nothing complex to comprehend
Agree. At least for ranked, playability should come firs, aesthetics second.

Let's not comment on how this was speed-bubbled even if it was obvious that the map would turn devolve into another dramafest just like Genryuu Kaiko was because this... thing, was made clearly to just be hard, as hard as it can be and I'm pretty sure the nominators who pushed this knew the QAT would turn their eyes onto this as soon as it got into the Qualified section and point all the flaws from the shallow mods that preceded the bubbling.

And one can argue the artistic value of the patterns and whatever, but the same effect could probably also be achieved without turning this into a 8.5 star abomination of overspaced notes, playability is high questionable here, was this map made specifically for a number of players that I can count using the fingers in my two hands that can actually play this but was made HP 3 just so a few more can squeeze a pass? Why even bother giving this a leaderboard when there are other options that had more effort and thought put onto them, with more mods, more stars, more difficulties encompassing a larger part of the player base?

Bubbling this was just one more thing showing the circlejerking around the current meme maps that have been ranked for some time just for the sake of difficulty. The people who pushed this, like I mentioned before, knew that there would be drama and that some people would come to defend the map and now that this was brought to light most likely it will get even more attention turning the odds of this getting ranked eventually higher.
orbital gun
Maps are unranked because of poor aesthetics all the time, simply because there needs to be some sort of quality control; especially on something as hard as this. Just look at something recent like awaken's toumei elegy. It was unranked and remapped multiple times because of poor aesthetics, just to name one map. (there's a lot more if i could care to look around but you get the idea)

Basically, it's one thing to have poor artistic style in a map; but it's another thing entirely to just be complete shit in aesthetics. It's just unsightly.
Zallies
hi dad (alien)
Reddit

Default wrote:

The ugliest thing about the map is this thread.
Hmmm really makes u think...
show more