forum

Need advice in buying this keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rurree
So I have a friend who's willing to sell his Corsair Vengeance K95 Keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches for 3000 pesos which is roughly equivalent to $65, it has white LEDs but 4 of them are broken. I don't really care about the LEDs so this doesn't bother me at all. I tested it out myself and it has a nice feedback plus the quality still feels quite new.

Good buy or nah?
I Give Up
For $65 its a steal. They are typically $100 for second hands.
FrzR
It's definitely a good deal for that price. Just make sure it's working properly and the keys are working.
Topic Starter
Rurree

FrzR wrote:

It's definitely a good deal for that price. Just make sure it's working properly and the keys are working.
He sent a video that shows him typing the keys with the screen showing the feedback perfectly. He showed that the G7, Alt, Ctrl, and Del keys LEDs are broken, doesn't really bother me.

Been used fro 4 and a half months though, still a good idea?
Endaris
Ask him how he managed to ruin the keyboard in such a short time because I feel like LEDs would naturally live much longer than that.
TakuMii

Endaris wrote:

Ask him how he managed to ruin the keyboard in such a short time because I feel like LEDs would naturally live much longer than that.
I've had a similar issue with keyboard LEDs (on a Logitech keyboard), and I can say that it's usually caused by a shoddy soldering job. It's not usually the fault of the LEDs themselves.
Sayorie
3000PHP? That's cheaper than most mechanical keyboards you can find here. I envy you.

You might want to check every switch too if they are working properly. Sometimes, some of the switches might depress a little bit, or worse, they can get stuck. If that's the case, then don't take the deal.
irrlux
Ask for the original invoice - in case of a rightful claim (LEDs) you may get a new product. (Depends on the retailer though)
Sup A Noob
Buy it
StephOsu
JUST DO IT
MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE MEMES
Frolski
I would definitely buy it.
Topic Starter
Rurree
I have decided to buy the keyboard. I hope I made the right choice, I'm open for more advice though! Since I'll pay in about a week. :p
idc_old_1
yeah, i'd say buy it. they typically go for more. even tho the LEDs don't work, you said they're not a big deal to you so it's like, might as well y'know? hope you enjoy it though! gz on the new keyboard.
Topic Starter
Rurree

xoxo wrote:

yeah, i'd say buy it. they typically go for more. even tho the LEDs don't work, you said they're not a big deal to you so it's like, might as well y'know? hope you enjoy it though! gz on the new keyboard.
Thanks!

I'm a writer, so that means I do a lot of typing. Are Reds still a decent typing keyswitch even if people say it's solely for gaming? I don't like Blues at all and it's just difficult to find a reasonably priced brown switch keyboard here.
Sayorie
You'll suffer from a lot of misclicks with red switches—specifically when you use a lot of keys, not just two, like z or x. I've been an mmo gamer and a writer for quite some time and I switched from red to blue switches after tons of pvp rage-losses from miscasting and tons of typos while drafting for my blog posts.

I'm just speaking from experience here, so take this with a grain of salt.

My first keyboard was a brown switch type and it was okay compared to reds, but are so different from blues. You probably won't notice the tactile bumps when you're clicking really fast, so it poses not much difference when it comes to gaming, but can be quite noticeable compared to reds for typing.

Razer Blackwidow Stealth (Tournament edition much cheaper) is probably the cheapest "brown" switch keyb you can find here, given that it's really accessible anywhere, mostly from SM Datablitz or PC retailer shops.
Topic Starter
Rurree

Arthraxium wrote:

You'll suffer from a lot of misclicks with red switches—specifically when you use a lot of keys, not just two, like z or x. I've been an mmo gamer and a writer for quite some time and I switched from red to blue switches after tons of pvp rage-losses from miscasting and tons of typos while drafting for my blog posts.

I'm just speaking from experience here, so take this with a grain of salt.

My first keyboard was a brown switch type and it was okay compared to reds, but are so different from blues. You probably won't notice the tactile bumps when you're clicking really fast, so it poses not much difference when it comes to gaming, but can be quite noticeable compared to reds for typing.

Razer Blackwidow Stealth (Tournament edition much cheaper) is probably the cheapest "brown" switch keyb you can find here, given that it's really accessible anywhere, mostly from SM Datablitz or PC retailer shops.
Really? Damn, I hope that doesn't happen to me as bad as I think. I bought it solely for being light, as I don't have much stamina on my hands. Do the Razer Orange switches feel similar to Cherry MX Brown switches?
Sayorie
They are basically the same as browns, only difference is the manufacturer.
Endaris
Switches don't help your stamina in particular.
You will naturally build more strength in your fingers when playing on switches with a higher actuation force. A higher actuation force doesn't only require your fingers to be stronger it also makes your fingers become stronger.
Topic Starter
Rurree

Endaris wrote:

Switches don't help your stamina in particular.
You will naturally build more strength in your fingers when playing on switches with a higher actuation force. A higher actuation force doesn't only require your fingers to be stronger it also makes your fingers become stronger.
Not really much on playing. Just needed a smoother key switch that's not too fatiguing.. That's what red switches are, am I right? Or not? :(
Endaris
Fatigue is always relative to how much stamina you have.
/Edit: Then again you're playing CtB not standard therefore what I said probably doesnt matter as much.
Topic Starter
Rurree
CTB is tiring to play, I usually can't last 30 minutes without having the need to take a rest. One of the reasons I got the K95 was to at least ease this issue. I might be too hopeful though, I don't know. :P