forum

[Archived] can't search beatmap with 2 characters

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sure
For examples,
Xi, IU, IA, U2 and OK go. (artist)

Why doesn't search engine support under 3 characters?
This is really inconvenient, especially in osu direct.
h3k1ru

ykcarrot wrote:

For examples,
Xi, IU, U2 and OK go. (artist)

why search engine doesn't support under 3 letters?
Xi*, IU*, U2* and OK* go
Colin Hou
and K-ON! :S

then I have to search DJPop...
Lybydose

h3k1ru wrote:

ykcarrot wrote:

For examples,
Xi, IU, U2 and OK go. (artist)

why search engine doesn't support under 3 letters?
Xi*, IU*, U2* and OK* go
Doesn't work. Try searching Xe*

You won't get this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/23652

You can search OK Go by searching "okgo" since they all have that in the online tags.
Topic Starter
Sure

h3k1ru wrote:

Xi*, IU*, U2* and OK* go
Lybydose already said. It doesn't work correctly.
Gomo Psivarh
I wonder how to search "S i R i R u" :o
Derekku

Gomo Psivarh wrote:

I wonder how to search "S i R i R u" :o
Magic (and imagination)~
Topic Starter
Sure
Bump

Why don't you improve the search engine?
peppy
mosluv
peppy
Is a limitation of mysql FTS. If anyone wants to implement a better fulltext search app for me, that would be amazing :p.

Alternatively, use google search as it's much more detailed.
Agka
man if I knew how to write a search engine I'd totally do it. :/
RBRat3

peppy wrote:

Is a limitation of mysql FTS. If anyone wants to implement a better fulltext search app for me, that would be amazing :p.

Alternatively, use google search as it's much more detailed.

Well this may help you if you feel as if it wouldn't cause any altercations... *shrugs*
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/ ... uning.html
peppy
I understand how mysql FTS works. I am not willing to set the word length below three characters, as it adds a realtively large overhead due to only being definable at a server level.

Please, please don't fall to the level of linking me documentation. I only make statements with full knowledge of how things work.
TheVileOne
BTW peppy, it is literally impossible to search for IA maps on osu direct. It wont let you. But yet it lets you search for less than 2 characters in beatmap searching, so i'm confused. you have a working search for beatmap menu, but it's broken everywhere else for 2 character queries
RBRat3
I was just showing you that there wasn't a software limitation like you stated... Nothing wrong with documentation after all someone did take the time to write it and if no one wrote documentation most would be still sitting there staring at a piece of software with their thumb up their ass.
ziin
if you search for IA in beatmap searching, you'll get every occurrence of "ia" in all your beatmaps. I have 396 maps with "ia" in them. You'll find all of "kia"s maps.

beatmap searching simply matches exactly what you type in. Website searching searches keywords.
Drafura

ziin wrote:

if you search for IA in beatmap searching, you'll get every occurrence of "ia" in all your beatmaps. I have 396 maps with "ia" in them. You'll find all of "kia"s maps.

beatmap searching simply matches exactly what you type in. Website searching searches keywords.
Well something like the new user search bar could resolve this issue.
grumd

TheVileOne wrote:

BTW peppy, it is literally impossible to search for IA maps on osu direct. It wont let you. But yet it lets you search for less than 2 characters in beatmap searching, so i'm confused. you have a working search for beatmap menu, but it's broken everywhere else for 2 character queries
If you mean the filter in Song Select screen, then it has nothing to do with SQL. Of course you will be able to search for 1-2-long keywords.
Peppy was talking about MySQL limitation.
Topic Starter
Sure
I thought you can do everything peppy :(

Drafura wrote:

Well something like the new user search bar could resolve this issue.
But there is still the problem of searching for 2 characters.
OnosakiHito
Poor AU, can't be found on osu! beatmap-search. ;w;
I support that of course.