forum

osu!'s relevance to first-person-shooter aim

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dem0nwing
Hey, I've played this game for quite a while on the side and am pretty decent at it (maybe not professional osu! elitist god y0lo sw4g cookiezi level, but 6 star nomod gameplay still looks inhuman to most people). I have mostly played competitive DotA, League, and Starcraft in the past, which don't have much technical mouse skill involved, played a little bit of CS:GO (nothing big though, only like DMG level).

Blizzard's Overwatch is coming out soon and it's the first FPS I plan on playing competitively. I played in pre-purchase/open beta this week after not playing an FPS for like a year or two and my aim wasn't necessarily the worst right out of the gate. I played mostly support (not much aim required) but when I did get a chance to play solo with aim-heavy roles I found that my aim improved very rapidly as I played, but still wasn't quite there in terms of tournament level standards, and that could just be because I used to play CS:GO a bit.

I expected to be able to take my accuracy skills from osu! and convert them, even partially, to FPS aiming. I was surprised to find that I couldn't really do this, however, and that despite being able to do huge cross-screen jumps at fast speeds in osu!, I'm basically terrible when it comes to cross-screen flicks on, say, a sniper rifle. Despite being able to smoothly track a slider bar at high speeds, I can't track a moving character very well at all. Has anyone else found that it is the same for them, or have you found a way to take some of your osu! mouse abilities and bring them into an FPS, perhaps with careful sensitivity adjustment or other methods?
FuZ
tbh i don't think osu will improve your skill level in a fps because fps aiming is set in a 3d environment, osu is 2d so the aiming is completely different

fps will improve your skill in fps

osu will improve your aiming skill on "2d" games (they're not really 2d but it's easier to understand) like lol, dota, sc2 because you'll be used to the mouse sensitivity if you use exactly the same sensitivity, but being good at these games is not relying on being good at aiming anyway.
Tornado
Before I started Osu!,I was incredibly good at any FPS game.I didnt play any FPS game after I started Osu! and I still dont play.I did many kind of plays with my mouse with diffrent settings. (Mouseclick only plays,regular plays,diffrent sensivities etc.) But even then; no matter what you do,Osu! Doesnt improve anything either on LOL or CSGO or any other FPS based games.

So; no matter which game you play in the world,all you have to do is adapting to the game.
Kitsunex
If you get good with approach rate, it'll help your reaction times
Yuudachi-kun
Fuck you, GD is for non osu related topics
Mahogany
Osu aim has no relevance to FPS games, literally the only thing you can convert is your comfort and familiarity with your mouse
FrzR

Mahogany wrote:

the only thing you can convert is your comfort and familiarity with your mouse

Basically this. The thing you want to improve on in osu! is your muscle memory.
Sayorie
It's really relevant to MOBAs and Starcraft though
Frolski
Playing osu! won't make you better in any other games.
Mahogany
That's horribly untrue

It might not make you much better but it will make you better in some degree for any game that requires mouse use or rapid tapping

However when the question comes to when one is concerned about improvement in other games as a primary goal instead of a side effect then it's generally more desirable to just play the other game to get better at other game instead
Yuudachi-kun
Correction: Playing osu is dumb if you want to improve in other games just play those other games god damn why can't you people understand this ever I'm so done