forum

[Guide] Technical Mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Exa

Technical Mapping

Definition:
Technical mapping is the act of complete and solidly justified object placement.
The product of technical mapping is a structured technical beatmap.
Axioms in mapping:
They are statements established by the mapper in order to practice technical mapping.
In technical mapping there are some axioms that must always be used:
  1. The position of every hitcircle must be justified by the state of previous objects.
  2. The position of every hitcircle must be justified by the tension of the music.
  3. The position of every slider-head must be justified by the state of previous objects.
  4. The position of every slider-head must be justified by the tension of the music.
  5. The slider-path must be justified by previous objects.
  6. The slider-path can be justified by following objects.
  7. The slider-path must be justified by the tension of the music.
  8. The slider-path can be justified by the effects of the music.
  9. The slider-tail is always justified by the slider-path.
  10. The slider velocity must be justified by the tension of the music.
  11. The slider velocity can be justified by the effects of the music.
  12. The use of spinners must be justified by the tension and effects of the music.
  13. All of the above must stay true to the created axioms.
  14. Correct use of the offset, BPM and BSD is required.
  15. All axioms must be adjusted according to the general difficulty of the beamtap
Properties of axioms:
Axioms are what makes a technical beatmap unique, as they tend to differ from person to person.
Here are some axioms that one could create for an STD beatmap:
  1. The distance between two objects A and B is justified by the prominence of what is audible when interacting with object B.
  2. A sound is more prominent when it’s volume is higher than the volume of any sound right before. A sound is less prominent for an opposite instance.
  3. A sound is more prominent when the pitch is higher than the pitch of any sound right before. A sound is less prominent for an opposite instance.
  4. A sound can be more prominent when it’s clearly audible and relative rare.
  5. Cymbals are more prominent than kicks and snares.
  6. Kicks and snares are more prominent than high-hats.
  7. Sounds of the same nature are to be represented the same way excluding aesthetically.
  8. The placement of an object A is also justified if it’s in an aesthetic relationship with other objects B1, B2… All objects in this relationship must be simultaneously visible.
This is merely a portion of axioms that can be created and used in order to practice technical mapping. The more axioms there are, the more solid (/justifiable) the map will be. The context of an axiom can be further clarified by defining certain phrases or by using examples of how it can be applied.

Let’s take the last mentioned axiom as an example and attempt to further clarify it: The placement of an object A is justified if it’s in an aesthetic relationship with other objects B1, B2… All objects in this relationship must be simultaneously visible. As examples of aesthetic relationships between objects we can take blankets, symmetry, stacking etc.

It’s crucial to fully understand the context of an axiom. In this instance, there is the phrase: “is also”. While it seems unimportant, it can break the structure of a beatmap if not fully understood. This phrase implies that an aesthetic relationship between objects alone can’t justify the placement of an object, but it can only help do so. Meaning that a blanket is not enough to justify the placement of a hitcircle if it doesn’t hold true to another axiom.
Conclusions:
There are several conclusions that can be made if we take more than one axiom under account at the same time. For example, if we use the axiom: The placement of an object A is justified if it’s in an aesthetic relationship with other objects B1, B2… All objects in this relationship must be simultaneously visible. And: Sounds of the same nature are to be represented the same way, excluding aesthetically. We can conclude that two sound groups that are identical but found in different parts of the song can be represented with different object patterns but must also be represented with groups of objects that are of the same spacing respectively. Meaning that the two object groups must be spaciously consistent.

Comprehending the properties of axioms in mapping can lead to the creation of some of the best technical beatmaps. However what is “best” is subjective and differs from person to person. It’s advised to always take certain axioms under account that have been created by trial and error throughout the course of mapping to ensure that the map is “pretty” or “of acceptable quality”. Several of these axioms are included in the examples provided, but there are certainly more.

Every aspect of mapping can be justified by axioms. The tick rate, the combo colors, the patterns used, the curvature of sliders etc. The reason why technical beatmaps are in such small portions in both the ranked and unranked section is because the very creation of a beatmap takes a lot of time and effort. Therefore it requires a lot of patience.

Creating axioms and learning how to use them accordingly is usually a process that takes months or even years to properly complete.
The word “structured” in the definition of “Technical Mapping” means that there is not a single instance throughout the map where axioms are not being used or counteracted.

A beatmap can be technical if axioms are consciously being used but not necessarily structured.
In layman terms: If there is a solid and explainable reason of why everything is done they way it’s done, then the product is a structured technical beatmap.

A technical beatmap is not necessarily rankable because the axioms used can go against the ranking criteria.
A technical beatmap is not necessarily “pretty” because the axioms used can go against what is commonly considered “pretty”.
It's simple:
So in order to practice technical mapping, all you have to do is place an object, give a reason for placing it this way and never go against that reasoning afterwards. For example if you have a wub and you represent that wub with a special slider, all you have to do is explain that you used this specific slider-path curvature to represent this specific wub and NOT do otherwise when the same wub comes up.
Any questions or suggestions towards the improvement of this guide are fully appreciated.
Bara-
This looks confusing. What do you mean exactly with "justified", and how are things justified?
And do you have some examples, since I don't really understand the term "Technical Mapping". Maybe explain that a bit more.

And what are the most important axioms? You talk about aesthetical relationships, but that axioms should prioritize (the example with the blanket)

It seems too vague and complex for me atm.

One more thing, can you maybe explain why this is needed? Can't people just map for fun?
Topic Starter
Exa
Q: This looks confusing. What do you mean exactly with "justified", and how are things justified?
A: I include "In layman terms: If there is a solid and explainable reason of why everything is done they way it’s done, then the product is a structured technical beatmap."
The definition of "justified" is: Having, done for, or marked by a good or legitimate reason.
Since axioms are used to practice technical mapping, using them is how things are justified.
In other words, if I say "The wall must be painted black or yellow", I can justify painting it black because I said so. "The wall must be painted black or yellow" is an axiom.

Q: And do you have some examples, since I don't really understand the term "Technical Mapping". Maybe explain that a bit more.
A: Examples of what in specific? Include what it is that you don't understand so I can provide specific examples.

Q: And what are the most important axioms? You talk about aesthetical relationships, but that axioms should prioritize (the example with the blanket).
A: There are no "most important axioms". You can create your own axioms and build a beatmap using them. If you want your beatmap to be a technical one, there are certain axioms that must be used and I've mentioned them. You will find these axioms in any ranked beatmap including several unranked beamtaps. They are the product of trial and error of many people and have become what you could call "the standards of beatmapping"

Q?: It seems too vague and complex for me atm.
A: It's not easy to understand, take your time!

Q: One more thing, can you maybe explain why this is needed? Can't people just map for fun?
A: This is for anyone who wants to practice technical mapping. You are not being forced into using this guide.
Bara-
Examples - Maps that use technical mapping

Thanks for your answers, it cleared it up quite a lot ^_^
Yoges
You might want to do a quick spelling and grammar check. Good guide, it puts into words what I've always done with intuition ^^
Topic Starter
Exa

Bara- wrote:

Examples - Maps that use technical mapping
Due to the overwhelming amount of beatmaps, I can't scan them and point out specific ones. What you can do though is ask the mapper of a beatmap whether or not they can explain everything, without giving different reasons for 2 things that are essentially the same. If they can do that, then their map is a technical beatmap. If you desperately need a specific examples, I am willing to take it upon myself and direct you to one of my beatmaps.

Yoges wrote:

You might want to do a quick spelling and grammar check. Good guide, it puts into words what I've always done with intuition ^^
There are no spelling errors and the grammar is exactly how it should be. Please be more specific if you still think something is wrong.
Yoges

Exa wrote:

from person top person
For one thing there's that. I just said check the whole thing because there could be more but that's just one I spotted.
Battle
Sounds complicated
ac8129464363
cool.
xxdeathx
Interesting
Topic Starter
Exa

Yoges wrote:

Exa wrote:

from person top person
For one thing there's that. I just said check the whole thing because there could be more but that's just one I spotted.
I guess I trust auto-error-detection too much XD
Endaris
Mapping is science!!!!
Me pretending to be a technical mapper (aka someone who will never finish the set)
_handholding
The axioms pat reminds me of my 1st year in my Maths degree.
Why do you see mapping as such a science?

deetz wrote:

cool.

Bara- wrote:

Can't people just map for fun?
Topic Starter
Exa
@Kisses That's not necessary how I see it. I just created the guide.
No personal opinion is actually included in there.
If you want, you can use the guide. If you don't want to, you don't need to c:
Haya
wew
Kibbleru
add some examples of good structured mappers RLC skystar cryo, etc

also i think the correct term is supposed to be 'structural mapping' idk.
Topic Starter
Exa

Kibbleru wrote:

add some examples of good structured mappers RLC skystar cryo, etc
also i think the correct term is supposed to be 'structural mapping' idk.
Structural mapping is not the same as technical. A technical beatmap can and can not be structured.
I've make that distinction as clear as possible in the initial post.
But for anyone who still wants to study some well-structured maps, here are some classics:
Infected The Pretender by RLC
Distorted Lovesong by RLC
Reanimate by Skystar
Bonfire by inverness
Blue Zenith by Asphyxia
Endaris
Shadren is the master of structure.
_DT3
I guess it will take some time to read through but I always wanted to try map technical. Thanks :)
ac8129464363

Exa wrote:

xnli
Thievley
back at it again with the wall of text exa

interesting though, good luck with the guide
hyouri

deetz wrote:

Exa wrote:

xnli