forum

Not being able to follow streams?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aiseus
I'm new I guess. Been playing for probably around a month now, making the shaky transition from 2.5-3 star maps to 4-4.5 star maps. I feel like I'm making okay progress, but there's one thing I can't do. It's streaming. Now, it's not the typical that I'm not able to click fast enough or that I tense and end up screwing up my rhythm, but it's that I can't stay with the stream. I play with a mouse, and I think I'll stay with it (too cheap to get a tablet I guess :P) and I can't keep my cursor on the right note at the right time even if my fingers are doing it right. I either go way too fast, starting to hit some notes too early (but in time), or I follow the stream way too slowly, leading to me hitting everything late. Is this a common problem? I mean I feel like I can get the timing right if I practice more but following the streams is proving to defeat me every time. I actually noticed it when I started seeing I could hold higher BPM streams easier than I could lower BPM streams.
Caenis
Sup A Noob

Aiseus wrote:

I'm new I guess. Been playing for probably around a month now, making the shaky transition from 2.5-3 star maps to 4-4.5 star maps. I feel like I'm making okay progress, but there's one thing I can't do. It's streaming. Now, it's not the typical that I'm not able to click fast enough or that I tense and end up screwing up my rhythm, but it's that I can't stay with the stream. I play with a mouse, and I think I'll stay with it (too cheap to get a tablet I guess :P) and I can't keep my cursor on the right note at the right time even if my fingers are doing it right. I either go way too fast, starting to hit some notes too early (but in time), or I follow the stream way too slowly, leading to me hitting everything late. Is this a common problem? I mean I feel like I can get the timing right if I practice more but following the streams is proving to defeat me every time. I actually noticed it when I started seeing I could hold higher BPM streams easier than I could lower BPM streams.
Going through simple streams should be a natural movement and if you aren't able to follow it yet it probably means that your fundamentals still aren't in place. Play more and you will get better but try not to do maps which are too impossible for you.
Hibiya-chan

Aiseus wrote:

Is this a common problem? I mean I feel like I can get the timing right if I practice more but following the streams is proving to defeat me every time. I actually noticed it when I started seeing I could hold higher BPM streams easier than I could lower BPM streams.
Yes since you've just started playing and all...

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

you're advancing too fast
^^^ but I guess if its your way of improvement, then its ok.

Well, in my case, I can stream ok with high and low bpms but can't handle long streams coz it drains my stamina so much.

I recommend using stream practice maps and here are examples of mine:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/596173 (Affection)
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/860627
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/207567

Someone recommended these maps for me to practice streaming.

Sup A Noob wrote:

Play more and you will get better but try not to do maps which are too impossible for you.
Yuudachi-kun
332pp ok
Topic Starter
Aiseus

Khelly wrote:

332pp ok

I mean, I've been here for a month. I'm someone who seeks improvement always. Especially when I first start playing a new game. I want to get better, and if I need someone whose better than me's advice I thought I should come here. But if you really want to belittle me for stupid crap like how much PP I have I don't have to listen.
Sup A Noob

Aiseus wrote:

Khelly wrote:

332pp ok
I mean, I've been here for a month. I'm someone who seeks improvement always. Especially when I first start playing a new game. I want to get better, and if I need someone whose better than me's advice I thought I should come here. But if you really want to belittle me for stupid crap like how much PP I have I don't have to listen.
What Khelly means is with your amount of PP there's still a lot to improve on and that there's nothing to worry about if you continue playing. Like I said earlier master your fundamentals and try different maps, just don't make too much of a jump.
shortpotato
playmore
Endaris

Aiseus wrote:

Been playing for probably around a month now, making the shaky transition from 2.5-3 star maps to 4-4.5 star maps.

There are maps between 3 and 4 stars and they are plenty and they tend to introduce all the stuff that you struggle with on 4.5* maps.
The breakpoint at which short streams start to occur on a more regular basis is around 3.5* so yeah, no need to rush further.
The most difficult nomod you FCd has 2.86 stars so keep your next goal within reach, try for 2.95 next or something and extend that in little steps. You will get to your goal of 4.5 much faster like that.
KanoSet
same tbh
Yuudachi-kun

Aiseus wrote:

Khelly wrote:

332pp ok

If you want to play thngs out of your league that will do more harm than good I don't have to listen
rekhichem
play maps that you can't fc cuz of streams , try to fc them it will push your limits ; play more,get better.
at least that works for me lol :P
Topic Starter
Aiseus

Khelly wrote:

Aiseus wrote:

Khelly wrote:

332pp ok

If you want to play thngs out of your league that will do more harm than good I don't have to listen

Exactly how am I supposed to know what exactly is healthy as practice and what isn't? I mean, I assumed I would be able to come here to ask for advice but clearly I'm asking too much.
Yuudachi-kun
Play a 2.5* map. If you can fc it easily then play a harder starred map. If the 2.5* map is semi hard to fc but you can still do it, play it more. If it's too hard to fc go back down in difficulty until you can fc.

And when I said CAN fc I mean reasonably hard to fc. Not too easy and not 1% chance of fcing.

After 5.00* this becomes less of a general rule since map types become varied enough to display different amounts of skill but at that point you shouldn't need guidance.
Rurree
Khelly has a point, you can't go out of your league for now, focus on the fundamentals and on the maps that you are able to have a chance of getting an fc or at least get a high combo. You'll hit a wall as high as the Sears Tower most likely if you try to go out of your way and practice maps beyond your star level. But if you insist on going through ahead with your way of improvement but I don't guarantee that you'll get any better soon enough.
vsprite
play more
Yuudachi-kun

vsprite wrote:

play more
If I play centipede 10,000 times would it help