forum

Planning to buy a new monitor, suggestions or tips

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Marumarsu
My old 24'' 1080p 60hz monitor died and now that I've been doing a lot of AR10.3 stuff recently I thought that I might as well buy one of those 144hz monitors people keep hyping about. The older thread discussing this was over a year old so, does anyone have any new thoughts on whether I should buy a 144hz monitor or a 120hz television(+for consoles)? I heard from various sources that 120hz tvs are not "true" 120hz, whats that supposed to mean? My computer's also old af, it's THE best that you can get for ddr2 so I'm not entirely sure whether it can run 144hz, but idc i just want a 144hz monitor so i can read faster AR :cry:
Antiforte
Higher hz really just means smoother movement, and I'm not really sure if this smoother movement will actually help you react to higher ARs. :)

I'm using a casual 60hz monitor and I can definitely read AR10.33 if I took my time practicing.

As for the false 120hz monitors, it means they have a lower refresh rate (like 60hz) but use some technical flashing thing on the back to give you an illusion that it's 120hz.

There are also monitors that process frames in a certain way that it seems it's 120hz. Don't fall for these. Make sure you have a reliable source at hand, just to double-check.

As for finding out the best 144hz monitors to buy, you can check this site to find the monitor that best fits your need and budget. Of course, you should check the monitors listed with a refresh rate of 144hz.

This is all I can give for advice, as I don't really have any experience on monitors or gaming setup in general.
Yuudachi-kun
I can read ar 9.3+DT with 60 hz. You don't need 144hz
KanoSet
not needed but if you gonna buy a new monitor so why not
according to my friends that have it and ppl on the internet it'll make your eyes happy
benq xl2411z is a good choice.. the also an asus one at the same price tag but i don't remember the model
also in games you can't have full advantages of 144hz unless you can keep up 144 fps
welp for osu it's pretty easy
TakuMii
144Hz is only a nice luxury. It won't magically make you able to read higher ARs, but it will spoil you and make everything look smoother. I wouldn't say it's a necessity unless you happen to also play FPSes.
E m i
144hz made this pattern easier for me xd
KanoSet

Momiji wrote:

144hz made this pattern easier for me xd
i can't see the pattern kappa
shortpotato
get gaming carpet its better for reading high ar than monitor trust me xd
Setsuna
I don't have any tips rather than getting known brands and looking at reviews (im looking at dem fancy Asus and BenQ monitors), but my totally not-so-biased suggestion would be VG248QE because

1.) it's the monitor i use
2.) it is cheap ($250)
3.) it is 144hz and 1 ms input lag
4) depending on your taste, the screen is pretty small compared to other "good" monitors (24" vs 28"), but you can argue that smaller screens (no, resolution has nothing to do with this) makes it easier to look at each individual notes without moving your eyes as much and/or turning your neck. I know, it basically doesn't matter, but im throwing it out there. OH ill tell you something that does matters though. It's small enough for you to fit 3 of them on a fairly small desk.
5) if you are still into 3D (even though VR is coming out) or G-Sync, this monitor comes with it.

cheers. (b~_^)b
TakuMii
^Just wanted to correct you on two points:
3) This monitor does not have 1ms input lag. It has 1ms grey-to-grey response time, which is not the same thing. The actual input lag is a quite bit higher than 1ms.
5) The VG248QE does not come with 3D nor G-Sync. It is 3D-capable, but does not include the required 3D glasses. As for G-Sync: It is not G-Sync capable without a DIY mod kit that Nvidia has stopped selling 2 years ago (so effectively, no, it is not G-Sync capable).
vsprite
>AR10.3 stuff recently
>80k rank

lmao just lmao! even getting a 500hz monitor wont even help you at this early stage. If you're shit you stay shit regardless of gear.

Play more
Bauxe

vsprite wrote:

>AR10.3 stuff recently
>80k rank

lmao just lmao! even getting a 500hz monitor wont even help you at this early stage. If you're shit you stay shit regardless of gear.

Play more
Setsuna

YayMii wrote:

^Just wanted to correct you on two points:
3) This monitor does not have 1ms input lag. It has 1ms grey-to-grey response time, which is not the same thing. The actual input lag is a quite bit higher than 1ms.
5) The VG248QE does not come with 3D nor G-Sync. It is 3D-capable, but does not include the required 3D glasses. As for G-Sync: It is not G-Sync capable without a DIY mod kit that Nvidia has stopped selling 2 years ago (so effectively, no, it is not G-Sync capable).
I believe it does come with the 3D, but not the G-Sync, my bad. I've played 3D on mine before :o!
Frolski
Don't listen to people saying you shouldn't buy 144hz monitor.

If you consider yourself as player, and you're spending many hours playing games (doesn't matter if you play only osu! or not) it is worth to buy 144hz monitor. Using old thrash monitor while playing osu! few hours per day is like being professional car driver driving old russian Lada, instead of Porsche. I recommend you buying Asus VG248QE, I have one myself and it works great. Keep in mind you must own DVI plugin in your computer, HDMI doesn't support 144hz.
-Makishima S-
CRT > LCD

144hz > 60hz

Skill > gear

Also

10.3 @ 80k rank, you are a walking joke man.
TakuMii

Setsuna wrote:

I believe it does come with the 3D, but not the G-Sync, my bad. I've played 3D on mine before :o!
You can't use 3D unless you have the 3D glasses :roll:
Topic Starter
Marumarsu
My old monitor was benq so i'm leaning towards xl2411z, i've heard so many good things about the vg248qe though so i'm pretty much at a dead end. I think i might visit a store and check out how they compare design-wise. Thanks for the suggestions guys!