forum

Improve the User Rating System for Beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +71
show more
Seijiro
What about making 2 ratings: one general (where everyone votes as they please) and one "professional" (where only mappers with at least one ranked map, or even just BNs/QATs, can vote)?

The rating itself was created as an indicator of community's appreciation of the mapset. The fact this concept was lost with time is nobody's fault tho.
Bara-
That'd be even better

But... Does that mean my vote counts double? ^_^
pkhg
agree on everything but bn qat thing
also i love if we're able to rate diffs separately, i have favorited some maps only for one diff
Bara-

pkhg wrote:

DaxMasterix wrote:

But nobody came
dont click
Something

agree on everything but bn qat thing
Erhmmmmm...

Pk, please, no
pkhg
y r u linking nsfw stuff thats disgusting
pls keep on topic
Underforest
lol
pkhg
forgot to mention that id like to see rating gamemodes separately
maybe converts too like switching gamemode shows different rating and stuff
Bara-
As if autoconverts are of high quality...
Topic Starter
DaxMasterix
Glad to see this thread moving on! :D

pkhg wrote:

maybe converts too like switching gamemode shows different rating and stuff
No please, map is mapped by the mapper (lol) in one way, (Maybe in old times with those taikosu! maps) But not now. IMO, If you want a taiko rating then rank a taiko map.

Some other issues, this idea is awesome but, can have a little "problems!" Some issues like
  1. A complety true reset in Map Rating about olders maps
    - Which is fully comprendible if some guys disagree with this (Improve the MRS) cuz the reasons, but Someday this need to change, whats the matter if it's now.
    - I want to say that isn't really neccesary make a true rest, just add the actual Rating as the "Average" Like I explained in the first post. And for the new maps do the new MRS
  2. Attack on freedom of expression
    - OH COME'ON DON'T BE A MORALFAG ejhem. You will be able to do it if you play it. Just saying if you wanna rate, then try pass it how it was mapped (no mods with Hidden mod exception) Oh and maybe the 50%+1 of the map to able rate it's ok. (40% is 2/5 of the map what is acceptable too)
Dunno what more add but try to help me out, oh and please! Call your friend to this discuss so we can Improve the evolution of this thread!
Liiraye
I don't think it's a good idea to separate rating for each diff. As we all know, it's super easy to forget or just not notice the rating after you finished the map, so then if you wanted to rate it you'd have to play it again (happened to me many times too). A lot of maps already are getting really low amounts of ratings, dividing them even further would not only clog up the rating list, but make no sense as some maps with loads of diffs could have 2x10 votes and be highest rated. Also how would that even show well in the forums? "Highest User Rating: XXXXX's diff in XXXXX's map, originally mapped by XXXYYY"

I've always thought the rating system was flawed, only one 1x rating is enough to sink a top rated map which is pretty shitty.

Adding to this, the way you rate should perhaps be granted at all times if you managed to finish the map once? I don't get why you'd have to play it again if you forgot to rate it. Maybe even make it more noticable?
Topic Starter
DaxMasterix

Liiraye wrote:

it's super easy to forget or just not notice the rating after you finished the map, so then if you wanted to rate it you'd have to play it again
If thats the problem then make osu! allow you to rate the map just going to your replay panel, so Imagine you FC a diff, then go to your replay details and down there will be the star rating for rate the diff if you forgot to rate after play the map.
And maybe you don't missunderstood me, I'm talking about this:

Mapset: Diff 1 , Diff 2 , Diff 3
  1. Case 1: Diff 1 = 9,5 User Rating / Diff 2 = 0 User Rating (Nobody already rate it) / Diff 3 = 7.8 User Rating
    BeatMap Rating = (9,5 + 7.8) : 2 ---> 8.65 = 8.7 User Rating Aprox
  2. Case 2: Diff 1 = 9,5 User Rating / Diff 2 = 8.7 User Rating / Diff 3 = 7.8 User Rating
    BeatMap Rating = (9,5 + 8.7 + 7.8) : 3 ---> 8,66 = 8.7 User Rating Aprox
Dunno if you can understand my weird explanation about maths
Liiraye
I understand fully, but I don't think it will work. Already we have millions of ratings put, how are these going to be changed accordingly?

If you're gonna average the score each diff gets and make a score for the entire map, what's the point? That's exactly the same as now. The actual map rating won't change to how it already is. Or are you saying the individual diffs score won't affect the maps rating at all? If so, which score are we going to base the maps rating on?
Topic Starter
DaxMasterix
Think on this, I don't know why but the Trend is mapping just 1 or 2 diffs and let the others be Guest Diffs, we can't rate a entire map just because we play one of all the diffs don't you think so? Is like we put a "Like" or "Dislike" a entire youtube video List, without see the videos individually.
Also, as pkhg says, some guys just see one diff (the hardest one) and rate it because of it.
"Already we have millions of ratings put" ? I know, that's the why I'm saying isn't really necessary to erase ALL the ratings previous to this change, just for the new ranked maps
Stefan

DaxMasterix wrote:

1. Stop talking about Map, and start talking about DIFFS, please, make the rating individual for each diff. If you're asking I think osu! can make an average for a "BeatMap rating" after it
I really support this point, I am neutral to the rest.
Nakano Itsuki
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with a few points here.

If you ask me, I would like to be nazi on this and just let the rating for who played once the map without mods, Mods distort how the map really looks (Maybe exception for Hidden)
ngl, there are some maps I do find it quite enjoyable on both DT/HR and nomod, but why should that not allow us to give the rating? People have their own way of enjoying maps, just like the way people find different ways of enjoying the game. Why should this be changed? Why should we force people to rate things according to our way we want people to see a map(aka nomod), when they enjoy it in diferrent ways possible?

Also I'm pretty sure a large portion of this community gives ratings based on the song... that's something not gonna be able to change lol.

This can sound stupid but I'm on fire, Why not make an special rating for BN, QAT etc. This can show the "quality" in redguys eyes
Pretty sure this is explained by others in the thread already.
Being a good mapper doesn't make you a good modder; and the same goes for modding. Being able to mod doesn't make you a good mapper.

"No Fail" mod = No Rating Allowed PLEASE (Maybe exception for APP maps)
This could be a bit tricky tho.
Because there indeed exist mappers that do know how to judge a map properly (without actually blindly giving a shit score) and maybe they can't really play it properly and turn on NF.
Why should we stop these people who know their stuff from voting on a map's rating?
But again, this is kinda tricky to deal with so I'm just putting this out here.

Stop talking about Map, and start talking about DIFFS, please, make the rating individual for each diff. If you're asking I think osu! can make an average for a "BeatMap rating" after it
This looks really good... on paper.
Doesnt work that well when carried out imo.
Seems really clumsy to sort diffs' rating.

Maybe this could be actually implemented properly, idk :v

Just my 2 cents, no flame pls
Topic Starter
DaxMasterix
It's ok tho, I like to see diferents opinions here :lol:
eeezzzeee

Liiraye wrote:

it's super easy to forget or just not notice the rating after you finished the map, so then if you wanted to rate it you'd have to play it again
Happens all the time to me lol. There should be a pop up or something before the results screen asking if you want to like comment subscribe rate it
Topic Starter
DaxMasterix
I want this to keep going so badly
Setsuna
With this, I can downvote any other mappers besides the star mappers and make Skystar, StarTrick, and StarStream the highest rated osu mappers \:D/

jokes aside, i support this idea.
Endaris
Please edit the title to "Improve the User Rating System for Beatmaps" or something similar, the current title is superambiguous with star difficulty/pp and I was unable to find it when I looked for it.

/edit: thank you mod
Tshemmp

Bara- wrote:

^^
I know that when I got my first ranked map, a lot of people instantly rated 1
At one part the "1" was higher than "9" and "10"
You just see everyone either rate 9-10 or 1, that's just terrible
It should really be changed from 1-10 to 1-5. Nobody needs that many voting options. Most people either like a map which will result in them voting 9 or 10. Or they hate it so they will rate 1 or they are indifferent and vote nothing or something like 6 or 7. Half of the scale doesn't even get used there! What's the point? How would you define something with a rating of 3?
With 1-5 it would be like:
5: love it
4: like it
3: it's okay-ish
2: don't like it
1: hate it
Heuy
Yes!
mulraf
8 months since the last post but i really like this thread.
what i would like to add is:

* possibility to overwrite your old rating
i'm really sad that i gave my current favorite map in the game a rather bad (well not that bad but not 10* either) rating. i would really like to change that now that i can play it better, appreciate it more, play it more and have more experience. i don't see anything wrong with this.

i like the idea of a 'professional' rating too but not just QAT's / BAT's. make it for qat's, bat's, mappers with at least 1 ranked or loved mapset. because there's only a handfull of qat's and bat's. many maps wouldn't have any ranking at all and some would only have 1 vote which would heavily distort the quality in my eyes :x you need a bit more people to rate. maybe even add modders (people that've earned kudosu). idk.

i also like the idea of making a ranking for seperate diffs. there are just so many maps where i'd say "oh, that diff is one of my favorites, but the rest is kinda lame" or there are guest diffs i either really love or really hate. idk. stuff like that.

reset of votes: idk. sounds mostly reasonable. i see some minor problems about this but all in all i think it'd be good too.

all in all i like this suggestion and would shoot a star, i'm just not sure whether it's still worth it after this long a time :?
Cloudchaser
It is fantastic idea considering that people rates for song and not for the quality.

Bumpin'