forum

Drake - VIEWS (Beatmapping Project + Competition)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kuki
Hey! I'm Kuki, you may know me from my many mods/forum posts in osu!.

As of 2016 I've been mapping for around a year, and I've worked on over 500 maps, about half of those being my own; and my interest for mapping has slowly declined. I want to revive the enjoyment I once had for mapping, and as I personally disagree with the current beatmap ranking system, I don't want to work towards ranking beatmaps anymore.

I've decided to start releasing my own differing projects, different sets of songs corresponding to a certain theme or album, so I can work through many different songs and improve my skills while at the same time working towards completing a more-or-less 'full' body of work that people can enjoy.

In this particular project I've chosen to beatmap 45 second excerpts of twelve songs from Drake's new album, "VIEWS", to fit twelve photographs released alongside the album. I'd like to introduce a bit of competition as well, so when all of the songs are released, the player with the highest score over all songs will be able to choose between a 6 month supporter tag or a copy of the album on iTunes.

When the project is released (12/6/16) I'll hold a vote on which song people like the most, and finish that particular beatmap and upload it to the osu! website.

If you are interested, you can track the process of creation as well as download beatmaps as they are completed
on the project's Trello.
Hika
PH MY GOD YES
Topic Starter
Kuki

Hika wrote:

PH MY GOD YES
aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Rurree
Still Here, Weston Road Flows, and Hype were the only good songs for me there, such a letdown, imho.

But good luck with the project! Although I think you should have posted this instead on the Beatmap Projects sub forum.

OP, why not TPAB instead? :c
Topic Starter
Kuki

Rurree wrote:

Still Here, Weston Road Flows, and Hype were the only good songs for me there, such a letdown, imho.

But good luck with the project! Although I think you should have posted this instead on the Beatmap Projects sub forum.

OP, why not TPAB instead? :c
yeah, though the album wasn't bad, there was nothing that stood out to me in particular, i really enjoyed majid jordan on the interlude though. i didn't post in the beatmap project subform cause even though it's a "project", it's not like a discography or anything, more just a series of beatmaps i dubbed a project instead :?

about to pimp a butterfly, i mapped a little bit of mortal man but although the album is good the beats generally are pretty repetitive- as is the case with most hip-hop, really, but also there was a lot of timing to do as lots of the album is live jazz and drums which made it difficult.

hey, maybe i'll try it later this year. i'll mess with it and see how it goes in the coming months and link you some prototypes for your enjoyment anyway! (i have mortal man hanging around somewhere, my computer died yesterday so i'll have to find it some other time.)
Hika
but too good and childs play tho
Rurree
Did you also map the conversation between K Dot and 2Pac? Lol.

My favorite song from that album are These Walls, and How Much A Dollar Cost. I'd love to map those songs.
Topic Starter
Kuki

Hika wrote:

but too good and childs play tho
i'll see if i can add them (or at least too good) in place of another song later on.
thanks for the suggestions 8-)

Rurree wrote:

Did you also map the conversation between K Dot and 2Pac? Lol.

My favorite song from that album are These Walls, and How Much A Dollar Cost. I'd love to map those songs.
lol i barely scratched the surface of the twelve minute song, i got about 30 seconds in when i realised the next ~6 minutes was the same beat :(

i do like how much a dollar cost + these walls, they both have consistent beats timing-wise which is good.
Linada

Hika wrote:

PH MY GOD YES
WOOooooooo
Norb
Let me know when you finish, I'll check it out.
George
I'll win by default assuming I dont go back to the pound
Tacto
This is pretty cool. Keep up the good work XD.
Cancel
stOP
Tornado
Omg amazing :D
Topic Starter
Kuki
thanks for the support guys!!

4 beatmaps down, download links can be found on the trello

release in 26 days
Stefan
nah, that's not how it works.

Moved to Beatmap Project Forum.
Qiyana
Add this in
[notice]
[centre][b]Tracklist[/b][/centre]
[list][*]Keep the Family Close
[*]9
[*]U with Me?
[*]Feel No Ways
[*]Hype
[*]Weston Road Flows
[*]Redemption
[*]With You (featuring PartyNextDoor)
[*]Faithful (featuring Pimp C and dvsn)
[*]Still Here
[*]Controlla
[*]One Dance (featuring Wizkid and Kyla)
[*]Grammys (featuring Future)
[*]Childs Play
[*]Pop Style
[*]Too Good (featuring Rihanna)
[*]Summers Over Interlude
[*]Fire & Desire
[*]Views
[*]Hotline Bling[/list][/notice]

BtW, i'm mapping hotline bling so count me in!
Topic Starter
Kuki

Stefan wrote:

and is this how it works? it's a solo project, not a collaboration, nor is is really this subforums definition of an album project, as i'm not getting people to work on the project with me (with the exception of dyl-byl, but it isn't necessarily part of the inital work).
Stefan

Kuki wrote:

Stefan wrote:

and is this how it works? it's a solo project, not a collaboration, nor is is really this subforums definition of an album project, as i'm not getting people to work on the project with me (with the exception of dyl-byl, but it isn't necessarily part of the inital work).
The bold words summarize why this belongs here. Larto's project did also found its place here: t/59294
And the rules do not specifically tells that more than one user needs to work on an album project.