forum

What's wrong with TV sized maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan
As a TV size song player, I've been concerned about this topic since I've seen players in the forums express their hate towards these maps.

So yeah, are TV sized maps really that bad or is it just their "salty" comments making it bad?

P.S. I also play long songs but mostly TV sized since anime OP/ED maps are... well... TV sized.
7ambda
Quality wise, no; pp wise, yes.
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan

F1r3tar wrote:

Quality wise, no; pp wise, yes.
Well, TV sized songs are sometimes ez to FC and all.
So that's why the long maps I don't FC doesn't get to be in my top plays... fahk.
Caenis
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

also you can have shit stamina and get free pp from them too
To think that I was going to make this topic about how will TV size maps affect your stamina. I guess I got the answer without asking directly :)
Floob
There's nothing really wrong with them

People like to shit on them because they're shorter and require less consistency to fc which means free pp!11!!1!1! Either that or they just prefer longer maps. Personally I don't give a fuck what people play, if you like playing tv size then sure go ahead. If you like playing 10+ min marathons then keep doing what you're doing.
winber1
if you enjoy tv size songs, aka animu jpop for days, then just play it, no one cares.

the one reason this hate exists is because they are generic as someone said, and especially when it comes to rhythm games there are just so many more potential things that can often be done than what the generic animu song gives to us. Of course there are plenty of hard and entertaining japanese songs out there that can fall under pop or rock, etc. but the generic tv size anime usually does not offer much entertainment value, especially playing wise

i generally avoid them unless they have a hard difficulty and is enjoyable to listen to imo. also because i don't play very much cuz i suck
Barusamikosu
Short maps are optimal for collecting PP/FC/SS etc. in an efficient manner,

but it's satisfying to get a good score on a 3:00+ map as well
-Makishima S-
Nobody care if you play them as far as you enjoy them - pls enjoy gamu \o/

As tv-size hater, my point of view for this case: most (not all) of tv-size maps are just copy-paste patternwise which means - if you mastered basic patterns, you basically mastered most of tv-size. Consistency wise - oh well, typical generic tv-size map require very little due having just basic patterns and few to non bursts (rarely any streams over 20 circles). This part of POV is based on my personal experience (as long/marathon size map player) - i had mood to farm some "S" ranks, from 4,2 up to 4,8* majority of tv-size was sightreaded for 98/99% acc FC.

Talking about "this tv-size maps" - there are hard once with tons of trap circles, exhausting patterns and offering challenge. Not many of them but hey - i find this once being sometimes more difficult in time of 1m 30s than normal 4min map.

Pls enjoy tv-size maps, if you like them, why not.
Risa
To me, playing TV size maps just doesn't give the same level of satisfaction as playing a map that is the full version of that song, even when the TV size map itself is as good as this, simply because i can't even enjoy the song, much less the mapping style when it's actually good ( rare occasions ).

Most TV Size maps out there are pretty much the same thing with slightly different cross-screen jumps patterns & spacings and BPM and song and background pic.

It's fine to hate TV size maps personally, but no reason to hate those who actually like them if that's what they like.
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan

Barusamikosu wrote:

Too bad that if you don't FC them, they don't give much pp. Justice! :(

[Taiga] wrote:

Pls enjoy tv-size maps, if you like them, why not.

Ezonie wrote:

It's fine to hate TV size maps personally, but no reason to hate those who actually like them if that's what they like.
:) :) :)
Barusamikosu

_StormEx_ wrote:

Barusamikosu wrote:

Too bad that if you don't FC them, they don't give much pp. Justice! :(
True. PP forever gated by 1x miss :oops:
Sup A Noob
They're pretty much the same across the board. Not saying that they aren't fun, but it does get boring after a while.

Blame all anisons to have the exact same musical progression.
DeathHydra
Nothing wrong with them. It's just too mainstream in osu!. People also keep mapping the same song (take a look at miiro, junshin always, etc)

osu! needs more full version anime songs
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan

DeathAdderz wrote:

osu! needs more full version anime songs
The reason I'm playing TV Sized Versions of the songs :(
Caenis
Sayorie
TV size maps give a high chance of FC if you have shit consistency.

However, I don't have any strict preference on the length of the maps. I prefer songs that I like, not by their length.
Nice song e.g.The Glory Days / Routine > shitty 0:30s+ song Beer Beer Beer
-Makishima S-
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/450079 - amazing "tv-size" length map which gives challenge and in my opinion is not so generic like 90% of them.
Sup A Noob

[Taiga] wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/450079 - amazing "tv-size" length map which gives challenge and in my opinion is not so generic like 90% of them.
On that matter, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/32775 is pretty good too.
shortpotato
just cuz u dont like them doesnt mean they r 'wrong' xd

also play more then u'll love them cuz u can farm DEM LIKE EVERYONE ELSE
StephOsu

Arthraxium wrote:

TV size maps give a high chance of FC if you have shit consistency. (so basically, higher chance for FREE PEE PEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111ONEONE1ELEVENONE!1)

However, I don't have any strict preference on the length of the maps. I prefer songs that I like, not by their length.
KanoSet
as said.. if you play mostly tv-size maps your constancy, stamina and streaming ability will suffer, i'm a living example
but hey.. tv-size maps are enjoyable.. enjoy game pls
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan

KanoSet wrote:

as said.. if you play mostly tv-size maps your constancy, stamina and streaming ability will suffer.
I'm ready to take this risk until full versions of TV sized songs get released the same way how fast TV sized versions get released. ~

(I guess that won't happpen tho xD)
Stefan
more like: What's wrong with players getting pissed off about TV Size maps
-Makishima S-

Stefan wrote:

Certain guy with 5k pp here tend to call out people for playing TV-size maps like it is something wrong while most of his top plays are...... tv-size+DT/HR.
People like him openly spreads this hate.

Thank mr stefan

But honestly - whatever if someone plays only tv-size or long size. Skill-wise we are all noobs to Cookiezi 8-)

To visualize what i mean about generic tv-size shitmaps: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5073742 - sightread play, considering my consistency in HD is shit as fuck, explains why personaly i hate this maps >.>
Xyrus_old_1
There's nothing wrong with playing TV sive maps, but as stated before, playing only TV size maps hurts your stamina and consistency.

There are plenty of full size anime song maps out there though. :)
DeathHydra

Xyrusd0t0 wrote:

There are plenty of full size anime song maps out there though. :)
It's quite a lot, but still low compared to the amount of TV-sized maps
Hvick711

[Taiga] wrote:

Stefan wrote:

Certain guy with 5k pp here tend to call out people for playing TV-size maps like it is something wrong while most of his top plays are...... tv-size+DT/HR.
People like him openly spreads this hate.

Thank mr stefan

But honestly - whatever if someone plays only tv-size or long size. Skill-wise we are all noobs to Cookiezi 8-)

To visualize what i mean about generic tv-size shitmaps: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5073742 - sightread play, considering my consistency in HD is shit as fuck, explains why personaly i hate this maps >.>
Out of conext. But hey I am the one spreading the hate.
Yuudachi-kun
Nothing. stop asking
Himiko
Ryuti
w
chainpullz
TV size maps are hype for about a month because they are released alongside the anime. Once the full size song is out, why would I ever want to listen to a shitty cut version? I play osu because I enjoy music, not because I like whacking circles indiscriminately. At some point it just indicates a sign of laziness on the mapper's part imo. I know how much motivation, time, and effort it takes to map the other 3 minutes of the song but christ, if you don't like the song enough to map the whole thing find a different song that you do? Is finding music that you love enough to listen to and enjoy a few hundred times that difficult?
Yuudachi-kun
I play all maps as long as they are physically straining and fun to play. Good music is only a bonus but not a requirement unless I really cannot stand it.
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan

Synastral wrote:

As someone who has amazing accuracy, decent stamina, and is pretty good at streaming, but horrible at jumps and weird patterns like squares or crosses, TV size maps are like my worst enemy..

since that's all they are 90% of the time

jumps and weird patterns
I'm horrible at jumping and reading weird patterns of maps yet I play these kinds of maps :o :o :o

chainpullz wrote:

I play osu because I enjoy music, not because I like whacking circles indiscriminately.

Khelly wrote:

I play all maps as long as they are physically straining and fun to play.
Me too :) :) :)
Yuudachi-kun
Longstream 250 more.
vsprite
idk just play more
CXu
Playing a full song is the same as playing 2-3 tv sizes in a row.
Himiko
I Give Up
Fun fact: TV sized maps have harder patterns when compared to longer maps of the same star difficulty.
show more