forum

Will Modding v2 Actually Bring Us In a Better Direction?

posted
Total Posts

Will Modding v2 Actually Bring Us In a Better Direction?

Yes
52.94%
No
47.06%
Total votes: 51
Topic Starter
Ongaku
What is Modding v2 you ask? Find out here!: t/442285

As it stands now, my view on Modding v2 is that it will bring more opinion into the mapper's set, which is something I thought we were supposed to avoid.

Looking at the Modding Panel and how it works, I think its a very neat idea, and could be the change we need, but the flaws I see in this are too much like what we have now, disagreements and the mapper's map being changed against their will.
Now, if there are disagreements, there are also agreements and improvements. I think that this will improve the mapper's map and the mods that come in will help a lot more than what the current system could bring in, but being the humans we are, we'll most likely think against the mapper's personal thoughts on his/her mapping (Not saying that everyone does that).

Since Modding v2 is still in testing phase, I won't say anymore than that.

What are your thoughts on the Modding v2 idea?
Cherry Blossom
I'm doubtfully about it but i think this will come naturally.
Stefan
I believe it can for special modes but I am kinda neutral.
Arphimigon
To me it just looks like a more organised version of what we already got.
You can't change what people are already thinking, and they will say the exact same thing.
I'd say it'd help in talking about some more specific things due to its' layout, however it's also a little annoying to have to spread everything out for various other reasons, but it really depends on the type of modder you are.

It aint for me, but it'd definitely help some others.
Battle
It feels fine to me imo. It's pretty awkward at first, and I still have not gotten use to it, but it still has pretty good points about it. I think the best part of it is the fact that people are now able to see whether or not the objects in question have been brought up or not. The thing is, I don't feel as if each individual comment being a topic discussion is bad at all. In your eyes, you feel as though it's an issue that multiple people can argue the same thing, forcing the mapper to change it. I feel like it's the opposite however, if the mapper makes it clear that the DONT want to change it, I feel like that the people saying it will realize that the objects pointed out are NOT going to change from what they currently are. And of course, it can be said that people can bandwagon, but at that point the mapper would simply have to ask the person(s) to refer to the previous explanation, and just stating that that is the way things are going to be.

That's basically my opinion on the matter, this was written on mobile so I don't expect this to be real lengthy lo
Yoges
It has a lot of good points but I'm not sure.
Chyo-Kun
Yes, as a modder I always waste hours in reading other mods to see if some things I want to point out have already been pointed out by someone else and declined, then check if it's worth arguing about said change in my mod and it all drains so much time.
I'm confused though, how will those pages look like? A giant cluster of changes compressed in a comment section-like page. In a single mod I could address 30/40 different time-stamps and now I'm forced to make a single comment for each..? Harder to get used to, and imagine in really big projects where you need dozens of mods

We need to see this in action in more maps to actually see what's going on, the two they started out with aren't modded nearly enough.
DeletedUser_500696
Coming from a person that dislikes modding in general, I think it's a step forward largely because of the ease of use in pointing out issues and the mapper's ability to fix the issue or persuade why the map is fine. I do think it would be nice to see some sort of limit on the number of issues raised, like if there is an issue every 5 seconds I'm wondering what that actually indicates. This may happen especially on controversial maps like HW, people might spam complaints every second just to keep it from getting ranked :(
Bara-
I'm looking forward to it, but I have yet to use it. The fact that it is currently limited to 2 maps only is a shame imo
Topic Starter
Ongaku

Bara- wrote:

I'm looking forward to it, but I have yet to use it. The fact that it is currently limited to 2 maps only is a shame imo
It is still being tested
Bara-
I know
But tbh I don't like modding maps just to see how modding works. Imprefer modding to help the mapper
Topic Starter
Ongaku

Bara- wrote:

I know
But tbh I don't like modding maps just to see how modding works. Imprefer modding to help the mapper
Modding was supposed to help mappers in the first place.
Irreversible
That solely depends on the people that are using it.
Battle
Honestly I really prefer the current method, the only error I find with it is that you really don't know whether or not the person has explained their reasoning behind a certain thing unless you look at previous posts (and ain't nobody got time for that) so like, things can get brought up that were already addressed before lol.

While this does offer more discussion for individual things that multiple people can argue about, I don't think it would be much of a difference than today's modding, since most of the time if multiple people bring up something to me, I end up tweaking it a little bit and everything seems resolved :/\/\/\/
Arcubin
can't really argue to moddingv2

but i'm not 100% into the current idea of moddingv2 (neither current modding process, pfft, most people is douche btw). this is actually abuseable if you ask me.

my only question is, how BN will rank this? sorry noob
phaZ
really hard to say.
as a mapper i would really enjoy to get multiple opinions from people for specific parts/pattern as im always aiming for the best solution to express the song. on the other hand, the solution chosen is rather based on a democratic vote but doesnt seem to take experience (in terms of playing as well as mapping) into consideration. i can imagine that some ideas of the mapper will be easier getting completely annihilated by the modders as it takes a certain skill level to understand/play the part with that idea which ofc not all modder have.
as a modder, well unless i tried i cant say for sure wether it is annoying to look up everything in the discussion or it is be helpful because it may speed up the modding.

too many pros and cons, cant judge
hyouri
will take loads of time to get used to that's for sure