forum

Advice on mapping Standard...?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lumenite-
Hey people!

I've been successful (by that I mean they're good quality, sadly not ranked :( ) in mapping Taiko maps, but for one of the most recent ones that I've uploaded, I would like to add a standard osu! difficulty.

The first time I tried to map standard it was horrific because, as I don't play standard very often, I had no reference as to how the objects should be placed.

Advice would be wonderful and helpful, thank you!
Mahogany
Honestly, the only thing I really have to say is that to understand standard you'll need to play standard. You're capable of making quality Taiko maps because you're a skilled and experienced Taiko player, so you know what makes Taiko maps good and fun to play. You have no such reference point for standard so all I can really say is you'll have to actually play the mode a bit before you can start making good maps for it.

Once you have the basics down, I'm a learning mapper myself, so I can try to help you as well as I can.
hyouri
You don't really have to play or be very good at standard to understand mapping and flow. There are some mappers with ranked maps way higher star rating than they're capable of playing, that's because they understand how the flow goes. You can just spectate loads of pros, study mapping and use inspiration and look for a flow-like cursor movement and don't make anything awkward
winber1
you don't really have to, but it is highly advised. and just playing more standard gives you ideas on how beats should be placed in general.
Micka
-style
-rhythm
-flow

Copying other styles works gret
sakebi
Distance snap. Use it a lot.
Haruto

repladux wrote:

Distance snap. Use it a lot.
yeah i agree with this. using distance snap wont hurt at all but the basic is you need to play the actual mode
as for references, try looking at experienced mappers maps and study how they map. well im still learning to map properly right now, map properly is like. emphasize things which is i still dont understand.

a good way to know deeper is asking experienced mappers. they might wanna help you
and keep practicing, keep mapping something until it looks much better in your eyes :).
chainpullz
Step 1: be good enough at standard to understand basic cursor flow and appropriate spacing
Step 2: turn off both distance and grid snapping
Step 3: spend several months shit mapping until the stuff mentioned in step 1 actually clicks

Alternatively you can take the monstrata approach and start every new pattern by placing a few overlapping hexagons, reordering the beats to establish desired flow, and deleting all excess circles.
Axon
Just look at maps and try to use them as inspiration. Use some of the same patterns, and then modify it to be your own.

Really, the only way to get better at anything is to practice. :(