forum

In your eyes, how relevant is ranking to skill?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hvick711
Guys remember to play 3 star maps so you can eventually surpass the top players.
Hinpoppo

Endaris wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

Can't be bothered to reply to anything else but if you say best friends requires speed lmao
And everything else you just said is an integral part of the game that is done through rote learning and not by honing any specific skillset considering best friends is like what OD8

And if your rank and skill level is determined by FCing Best Friends I might never play this game again; that's just a map you're required to play to stay viable in ranking at that point

Also if you're talking shit about some guy who's called a loli you might want to change your profile pic cause there are a lot of people who would disagree with your tastes too

And there falls the mask of the nice and empathic forum-user. Jumping onto the train of attacking players directly right away instead of keeping the discussion based on opinions, examples, arguments and bad arguments.
I never said I hated the MLP fandom, I just said that there are a ton of people who would disagree with it and they shouldn't be making fun of someone's ign lol

But oops I'm getting pretty exhausted, should probably just leave

Mahogany wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

Also if you're talking shit about some guy who's called a loli
I'm talking shit about hypocrisy, not talking shit about people liking lolis. Lolis are fine.
You just said that his name was autistic ???
I get that it was self-defense thou

And yeah best friends isn't beginner level, the target audience isn't for completely new players

I'm train hopping this thread is hurting my brain
Endaris

Lampranthus wrote:

I never said I hated the MLP fandom, I just said that there are a ton of people who would disagree with it and they shouldn't be making fun of someone's ign lol

You have to understand that you commented on Mahogany here because you were discussing against him.
After all it was a loli (aka buny) who just came in here and said:
Just ignore Mahogany, he's pretty autistic.
And what did you do?
Defending buny (who was called "loli sex slave" for a while until someone reported him and he was forced to change his nick name) instead of calling both of them idiots.
Mahogany

Lampranthus wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

I get that it was self defense though
My intention was to criticize the hypocrisy of calling me autistic while the person themselves had a moniker that could also be considered autistic. I don't have a problem with Lolis myself, just the fact that buny would make such a statement while having that name

Yes, My Little Pony has some sort of sentiment relating to "Autism". That's a fair observation. However, Lolis would carry a similar connotation, and I was just pointing out how hypocritical it was to call me Autistic as an insult when they themselves have something that would invite the same response.

Lampranthus wrote:

And yeah best friends isn't beginner level, the target audience isn't for completely new players
So you admit that it requires some form of speed

I hope you understand what I mean then
Hinpoppo

Endaris wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

You have to understand that you commented on Mahogany here because you were discussing against him.
After all it was a loli (aka buny) who just came in here and said:
Just ignore Mahogany, he's pretty autistic.
And what did you do?
Defending buny (who was called "loli sex slave" for a while until someone reported him and he was forced to change his nick name) instead of calling both of them idiots.
LOL

And I don't call that a civil discussion either, it started off pretty rough

Mahogany wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

I get that it was self defense though
My intention was to criticize the hypocrisy of calling me autistic while the person themselves had a moniker that could also be considered autistic. I don't have a problem with Lolis myself, just the fact that buny would make such a statement while having that name
Yeah okay, I just think the name is ironic at this point considering it would be like impossible to get a name like that

Yes, My Little Pony has some sort of sentiment relating to "Autism". That's a fair observation. However, Lolis would carry a similar connotation, and I was just pointing out how hypocritical it was to call me Autistic as an insult when they themselves have something that would invite the same response.

Mahogany wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

So you admit that it requires some form of speed

I hope you understand what I mean then
I mean I guess? I don't call that speed though, just aim and approach rate making it look like it's fast
I consider speed=BPM
Barusamikosu
Maho is right because I get to feel good about doing something that by definition required skill
Hinpoppo

Barusamikosu wrote:

Maho is right because I get to feel good about doing something that by definition required skill
SSing a 4 minute song is daunting in itself
Endaris
I'm aware but you weren't as far as calling other people names.

Also you might want to fix your quoting there, you can't use more than 2 quotes in each other unless you're using the forum-alpha/beta at http://new.ppy.sh
Hvick711
Nice drama
Mahogany

Lampranthus wrote:

I consider speed=BPM
But even if it's a speed you and I would consider low at our current skill levels, it's still something that needs to be learnt. A new rhythm game player isn't going to be able to consistently and accurately singletap 168bpm as soon as they start playing: They need to start on easies and normals and slowly build their way up to that speed. They learn and gain the speed-related skills required to singletap 168, something that does require skills in terms of speed.

Yes, it's not much speed required, but there still is a speed requirement. It does exist, as low as it might be. (also DT)
Hinpoppo

Endaris wrote:

I'm aware but you weren't as far as calling other people names.

Also you might want to fix your quoting there, you can't use more than 2 quotes in each other unless you're using the forum-alpha/beta at http://new.ppy.sh
I'm a pretty shitty person honestly, I'm not above human standards lol

-Toushin wrote:

Nice drama
Welcome to oss (?)
buny
I tend to forget that autism is a very sensitive topic among the osu community.
Hvick711

a loli wrote:

Very
Xyrus_old_1

Endaris wrote:

Alpha sucks cuz no spoiler tags :(
KanoSet

-Toushin wrote:

a loli wrote:

Very
Very
Aktsumi
Ranking = skill
this is why you don't retry the same thing over and over again just to get a high score [or use mods]
because it's not helping your consistency or reading skills. it's raising your rank.
StephOsu

Lampranthus wrote:

I consider speed=BPM

I partially disagree on this
I mean yeah BPM can be the measurement for speed but we also have stuffs like AR which determines the speed as well.
We can deem the beatmap as "too fast to aim/tap" if we can't tap it on time not because the BPM is too high, but the AR is too high instead, ain't we?
We can also deem the beatmap as "too fast for me to aim/tap" if the beatmap has jumps that's too hard for us/overmapped, ain't we?
I think that there's a lot of factors to determine if a beatmap is fast, including player skills.
I might be a filthy 23k rank but I would like to, and I have the right to voice my opinion as well.

KanoSet wrote:

-Toushin wrote:

a loli wrote:

Very

Very

Very
Hinpoppo

StephOsu wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

I consider speed=BPM
I mean yeah BPM can be the measurement for speed but we also have stuffs like AR which determines the speed as well.
We can deem the beatmap as "too fast to aim/tap" if we can't tap it on time not because the BPM is too high, but the AR is too high instead, ain't we?
We can also deem the beatmap as "too fast for me to aim/tap" if the beatmap has jumps that's too hard for us/overmapped, ain't we?
I think that there's a lot of factors to determine if a beatmap is fast, including player skills.
I might be a filthy 23k rank but I would like to, and I have the right to voice my opinion as well.
That is completely true, but I suppose this could also be considered reading speed? idk
Of course the term in itself is relative, as most of the very foundation of any term that is a symbol for something.
And you don't need to be a high rank to have an understanding of the game lol, many people have been playing for years and know the ins-and-outs of the games yet don't increase their rank for whatever reason.
Yuudachi-kun

StephOsu wrote:

Anything below 240 bpm is below average - Khelly
StephOsu

Lampranthus wrote:

That is completely true, but I suppose this could also be considered reading speed? idk
Of course the term in itself is relative, as most of the very foundation of any term that is a symbol for something.
And you don't need to be a high rank to have an understanding of the game lol, many people have been playing for years and know the ins-and-outs of the games yet don't increase their rank for whatever reason.
IMO it's fair to consider reading speed as a form of "speed" skill that's required to complete a beatmap, and it's quite hard to gauge it since every player has different level of skill which cause them to consider a beatmap "fast"
Just for reference, my friends (who don't play this game) usually ask me this same ""How do you even keep up the speed?" question over again and again whenever I show them my 4.5*+ FCs, be it trash acc or good acc. While they think that it's too fast for them, I think that it's slow enough for me to shitmiss play it

Khelly wrote:

Khelly > Hvick/Cookiezi/Rafis wen
Hinpoppo

Khelly wrote:

StephOsu wrote:

>Streams ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yuudachi-kun

Lampranthus wrote:

>Streams ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Excuse to post this

StephOsu

Khelly wrote:

Excuse to post this

nice self-promotion
can't find any acc in there
Hinpoppo

Khelly wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

>Streams ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Excuse to post this

Meanwhile people can't clear delrio
Yuudachi-kun
I 0 missed delrio and I was really sad because I sliderbroke a place I never did. :(

Hinpoppo

Khelly wrote:

I 0 missed delrio and I was really sad because I sliderbroke a place I never did. :(

Do you usually miss on the streams after the jumps
Your combo on like all of your other plays lmao

*actually off-topic*
Yuudachi-kun
On the jumps immediately after the break nearing the end of the map. Although I don't really play delrio anymore since I have better maps like warpledge or the deceit or reunion or whatever. Delrio was an amazing map like March of 2015 when Riince gave it to me because I could hardly pass the final longstream at the end but I kept spamming it until I could. I like the fact that the mapper nerfed the dump jumps near the end though. Makes the map a lot more passable.

Hinpoppo

Khelly wrote:

On the jumps immediately after the break nearing the end of the map. Although I don't really play delrio anymore since I have better maps like warpledge or the deceit or reunion or whatever.

Fleshgod Apocalypse lol

So off-topic that what is a topic

Confined by your mentors

Your left hand would be really good for 1h trilling in mania lol

(Inb4 lock)
Yuudachi-kun
Fleshgod Apocalypse maps are the best. I need mazzerin to make one ranked.

Funfact: When I played mania 4K my right wrist starting hurting a lot but my left one felt absolutely nothing. It was an experience.
Hinpoppo

Khelly wrote:

Fleshgod Apocalypse maps are the best. I need mazzerin to make one ranked.

Funfact: When I played mania 4K my right wrist starting hurting a lot but my left one felt absolutely nothing. It was an experience.
Osuturbating streams

Do you like cats or dogs
Yuudachi-kun
Cats
Hinpoppo

Khelly wrote:

Cats
cool
StephOsu

Lampranthus wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Cats
cool
cool I am a cat person too
Yuudachi-kun
Lamp says I'm good at jacking

Lennyface
Hinpoppo

Khelly wrote:

Lennyface
You actually kinda are lmfao
but only half of you

check your PM nerd
KanoSet

Lampranthus wrote:

(Inb4 lock)
most likely not dw
drum drum isn't around anymore :cry:
winber1

Khelly wrote:

hey man that's so cool!
-- nice !

i'm the opposite!! nice ! !
Yuudachi-kun

Lampranthus wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Lennyface
You actually kinda are lmfao
but only half of you

check your PM nerd

How did you do that
Risa
In my eyes : near irrelevant

The only use for a player's rank that i can think of is to give a rough estimate of which tier that player is at.

And sometimes it can't even do that with the slightest bit of accuracy
I Give Up
Ranking is only relevant to a particular set of skills. For example a #5000 nomod player would find it hard to beat a #10,000 DT player on a DT map, and vice versa. Some skills are very niche, like a #1000 DT player completely losing to a #10,000 EZ player on an EZ map. Then there is the question of playstyle, we need a playstyle category because being forced to having top mouse only players buried under billion pages of tablet players in the ranking board is not right.
show more