forum

In your eyes, how relevant is ranking to skill?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Clappy
How the fuck did you fc no title?
Vuelo Eluko
touchscreen...
Mahogany

Clappy wrote:

How the fuck did you fc no title?

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

touchscreen...
Sayorie
now, you have to get a tablet and get a touchscreen to git gud pp
KanoSet
osu! isn't fair

-Toushin wrote:

pls enjoy game
Yuudachi-kun

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

inb4 khelly jerking off over how good and not a cheater he is

also kuvster amazing aim? is that a joke? a toddler could have remembered where to touch a glass screen with their finger to do that map. Jumps are beyond trivial on a touchscreen.

You are so jealous and bitter it's tasty
StephOsu

--Yami-- wrote:

Do you think the first type of player is underranked?
no
in fact i think that they are overranked

--Yami-- wrote:

Do you think ranking is not a good way to determine player skill?
yes it's not a good way, but then there's actually no good way to determine a player's skill in a balanced manner in this game unless we can gauge each aspect of the skill like how osu!Skills did. But then, even if peppy implement this as the new ranking system, someone are bound to find a way to exploit and farm ranks

--Yami-- wrote:

Should there be more touchscreen-oriented maps?
no
as if tag4 wasn't a good enough example for that
i mean
no one plays tag 4 with 4 players in this game at least not when im trying to find a tag2/tag4 room
Max Period
osu! was originally based on Ouendan / EBA, which WERE designed to be played on the touchscreen of the Nintendo DS.
Yuudachi-kun

Max Period wrote:

osu! was originally based on Ouendan / EBA, which WERE designed to be played on the touchscreen of the Nintendo DS.
WITH A PEN
StephOsu

Khelly wrote:

Max Period wrote:

WITH A PEN
and also im pretty sure it didn't had STREAMS which is a part of this redesigned game
Sup A Noob
So much salt here.

Regardless, good skill doesn't always mean good rank, nor vice versa. I don't know why I must keep repeating this.
Hvick711
Khelly is a hacker. :))))))
Rhonin

-Toushin wrote:

where's the kappa? having 600 hours of playtime and having 6000 pp is very common.
Yuudachi-kun

rhonin77 wrote:

-Toushin wrote:

where's the kappa? having 600 hours of playtime and having 6000 pp is very common.
)) is Russian kappa ))
Hvick711
))))
Rhonin

Khelly wrote:

)) is Russian kappa ))
ahh of course, I remember seeing this on rafis's stream.
nawiasy zamykające
Yuudachi-kun
JP na 100% 8-)
Hvick711
Play more
Vuelo Eluko

Khelly wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

inb4 khelly jerking off over how good and not a cheater he is

also kuvster amazing aim? is that a joke? a toddler could have remembered where to touch a glass screen with their finger to do that map. Jumps are beyond trivial on a touchscreen.

You are so jealous and bitter it's tasty

not at all, you're better than me without cheating but that's not much of an accomplishment anymore
it's still not about me, good try tho
Yuudachi-kun
All I see is accusations from an extremely bitter vet. It's still entirely about you and the fact that you don't like me because I llike treating you like a piece of shit. You even have access to the hundreds of shitty videos I post too.
vsprite
play more
Caenis
Yuudachi-kun

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

Khelly wrote:

All I see is accusations from an extremely bitter vet. It's still entirely about you and the fact that you don't like me because I llike treating you like a piece of shit. You even have access to the hundreds of shitty videos I post too.
mouse players are the most disgusting race on this planet
ftfy
StephOsu

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

tablet players are the most disgusting race on this planet

Khelly wrote:

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

ftfy

should i commit suicide right now
KanoSet

StephOsu wrote:

should i commit suicide right now
you are the chosen one to bring peace to this kingdom
Mahogany
Can Yuno just get banned already pls?
StephOsu

KanoSet wrote:

you are the chosen one to bring peace to this kingdom
Dank m8
buny
Insecurity is oozing from this thread
YayaBunWa
Shrug, if I wanted to inflate my score, TV songs is an easy winner for taking advantage of PP. I honestly don't understand why there aren't (harsher) penalties for short songs.

At any rate: had my score at 10k whilst I nom'd off of short songs that were way over-valued for their difficulty. After I stopped caring about my rank and just played to improve? 24k. Huge difference, no?

I don't know what the algorithm is for PP and I don't think it's necessarily bad compared to the past systems, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.
I Give Up

Khelly wrote:

Why?
B1rd

NotAnHperV wrote:

Shrug, if I wanted to inflate my score, TV songs is an easy winner for taking advantage of PP. I honestly don't understand why there aren't (harsher) penalties for short songs.
It's pretty balanced IMO. I would find a 10 minute 5.2* map easier to grind than a 1:30 5.8*+ map.
Zain Sugieres
There is a difference between 2 digits and 3 digits but there isn't much differencw between 15k and 10k for example

It all depends on person
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Why?

Using the box is heretical to the religion of the pen
silento
To answer main question in the title: pp is not skill, but skill can get you pp.
Yolshka

TheArchist wrote:

To answer main question in the title: pp is not skill, but skill can get you pp.
Though you can't really have less skill, than the amount required to reach your pp.
Yuudachi-kun

ShadyAngel wrote:

TheArchist wrote:

Though you can't really have less skill, than the amount required to reach your pp.
This
Hinpoppo

a loli wrote:

Insecurity is oozing from this thread
Lol

Seriously PP means like fucking nothing as it's based on your achievement:play ratio and not farming for easy achievements (>TVSize) is going to literally only reward you once in a blue moon with a PP watermelon, it's an extremely vague representation of someone's skill though and you can probably judge off of their plays what they're best at, just not in any significant way as it only records some achievement.

Also, the fact that an FC is basically needed to get PP really limits what people are encouraged to get good at and see as metagame

The question is more along the lines of what skill do you value the most and in what relativity it has to ranking

Do you consider a player who can semi-accurately hit a 7* lesser than you cause he can't FC stuff 5* stuff? It's really up to you.

Also the way this game is fucking fundamentally made with all of the different possible playstyles, it's almost retarded to even have a ranking system. An example to bring into extreme just so happens to be touchscreen players.
Ironic how nearly all of the other game modes have a better concept in terms of equivalent ranking yet from my experience their systems are shit
Mahogany

Lampranthus wrote:

Seriously PP means like fucking nothing
Lmao no, not in any fucking way is this true

Lampranthus wrote:

Also, the fact that an FC is basically needed to get PP really limits what people are encouraged to get good at and see as metagame
????????

The whole idea of an AIM GAME such as this is to NOT MISS

If you MISS in an AIM GAME you should be appropriately NOT REWARDED

Are you really suggesting that we should reward people who don't hit the circles?

Lampranthus wrote:

Do you consider a player who can semi-accurately hit a 7* lesser than you cause he can't FC stuff 5* stuff?
In terms of PP, he's at the level of whatever he can FC.
chainpullz

ShadyAngel wrote:

TheArchist wrote:

Very few players achieve strong duality. For most the gap between their skill ceiling and pp floor is quite large.
Hinpoppo

Mahogany wrote:

Lampranthus wrote:

Seriously PP means like fucking nothing
Lmao no, not in any fucking way is this true

Lampranthus wrote:

????????

The whole idea of an AIM GAME such as this is to NOT MISS

If you MISS in an AIM GAME you should be appropriately NOT REWARDED

Are you really suggesting that we should reward people who don't hit the circles?

Lampranthus wrote:

Do you consider a player who can semi-accurately hit a 7* lesser than you cause he can't FC stuff 5* stuff?
In terms of PP, he's at the level of whatever he can FC.
Woah calm down cheerio your hostility is ???
Did I kill your mom or something lol

(going to slip in that my next statement is going against the idea that PP is equivalent to rigid overall skill)
PP =/= skill; don't tell me someone who's rank is decaying at 1k just cause they're not farming is equivalent to someone who's on a daily mission to get one more PP. PP is equal to the amount of achievements someone has, don't tell me this isn't true lol
Not everyone actually plays the game to farm PP

and yeah man, it's an aim game, but the fact that you need an FC to get changes the metagame regardless even if it's the better system lol I never said anything about it being a bad one wtf

and yeah in terms of PP; this is why it's not valued at all to actually get better at harder things and instead improve what you're already good at
If someone wants to see improving accuracies on harder songs even if they don't FC as skill but PP represents FC ability, they won't regard that as a viable niche skill
It's relative

idk what you didn't get here

I literally don't see any way how you can reply to this with any contradiction lol
show more