forum

osu!idol 2016 Final results!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tokufi
*hides*
mayank0
Wanna ask a question sry just a bit nervous.... i placed 41st but not greyed out.. so did i pass or fail?
_Kitteh
Welp, I knew I was going to fail Stage 1 easily due to my crappy laptop mic and bad singing. -.-'
Thanks for the feedback on my singing, judges! ^^

- I feel like my laptop mic made me lose a whole lot of points since you could barely hear me and it sounded super muffled. I'm going to try to save up to buy a good mic for next year so you could hear me better :).

-Two of the comments said that I sounds nervous and bored/tired of singing the song. It did sound like that but I was singing in such a high pitch and straining my voice to keep that pitch that I was about to pass out.

- I was rushing to record my entry because I recorded it the night before going on a cruise for that whole week since the recordings before the final one were messed up due to my mic.

I definitely will be joining this next year, even after I was stressed out to get my entry out, it was fun singing and made me learn what I can improve on. ^^
Alright, I'll be leaving now o/
Thank you for this fun event :D
LightDreamer
Kyonko so CRUEL!!! But ztrot must had zcat with him to judge. And Flan-sama, as generous as always
Kyonko Hizara

mayank0 wrote:

Wanna ask a question sry just a bit nervous.... i placed 41st but not greyed out.. so did i pass or fail?
No, you placed 40th, the first square of the doc is the percentage.

LightDreamer wrote:

Kyonko so CRUEL!!! But ztrot must had zcat with him to judge. And Flan-sama, as generous as always
>literally gave .1% less than ztrot. Would you have preferred something lower? :U
Zeptaurus
Ay, I got through! Hopefully I'll get through next round as well.
yuzuhamu_
I'm curious to know what song will the top 40 choose for next stage... :3 :shock:
mayank0
Is this eligible for jpop/pop?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x9v8aNl6Aps
mayank0
or any of these? sorry not really sure what goes in pop >//////< since its not really a thing in India atm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75TwwtXF9vo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL8YVsS ... Le&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGP-jd4-Yn0
Cadenza
K time to enter the hyperbolic time chamber and come back next year

Good luck to everyone else!
sonniet
I was 0.4 away from [ M i y a b i ] <3 But someone still got in between us D:

And my recording was short cuz i recorded in the last 24 hours of Stage 1. I had to change songs cuz I couldn't find a clean instrumental for the song i was planning on doing. I realised too late. I couldn't get the second half good enough in Jar of Hearts so I decided to make it short.
Topic Starter
Flanster

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Flan on his way to work

Top40-chan please impress me
Thats school yo. Great pic regardless.

yuzuhamu_ wrote:

47...not bad I think :? Gonna try harder next year... :3

Good luck to the top 40<3
Practice! I expected more from you this year.

mayank0 wrote:

Is this eligible for jpop/pop?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x9v8aNl6Aps

mayank0 wrote:

or any of these? sorry not really sure what goes in pop >//////< since its not really a thing in India atm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75TwwtXF9vo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL8YVsS ... Le&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGP-jd4-Yn0
Lol, use the edit button. Anyway

ONE OK ROCK - most likely no
Caught In The Rain - most likely no
Woh chali - Yes
Sanam Re - Idk
Shanipika
Its really less fun singing when you know everyone think it sound bad x)

Oh welp.. thanks Garven for the comments.. feels like theres actually something i can improve on other than just not chosing the right song x)

(Its really amazing to get the only score under an average of 2/judge on stage 1 on all the years of osu!Idol x) )
Endaris
I didn't make it ...
But...
I got a 5 from Kyonko. My life is complete now! Next year 6!!
Kyonko Hizara

Endaris wrote:

I didn't make it ...
But...
I got a 5 from Kyonko. My life is complete now! Next year 6!!
Aim for that big 6!
CptHampton

yuzuhamu_ wrote:

I'm curious to know what song will the top 40 choose for next stage... :3 :shock:
Me too...oh wait I need to pick a song. Somebody help pls :cry:
mayank0
Hmmmmmmmm......... thanks flan :D
Topic Starter
Flanster
Stage 2 will begin tomorrow, deadline will be 14th which will give everyone a weekend bonus time to prepare :)
Garven
And then I'll make you all wait until Sunday when I can judge mwuhahahaha
Topic Starter
Flanster

Garven wrote:

Want me to retire you for a round B) ?
Garven
Kyonko Hizara

Flanster wrote:

Garven wrote:

Want me to retire you for a round B) ?
Shots fired
Shanipika
Can i ask what was like.. so wrong with my entry? I mean I got the worst score of everyone and like all i get of a comment (other than Garven's comment) is like welp song wasnt for you cuz not in your vocal range.. like i read pretty much all Kyonko's comment and i feel like i could actually learn to sing better if i knew what i was doing wrong cuz if i got the worst score it cant just be cuz song wasnt for me x) But i dont really know what i do that wrong to get that kinda of score and i dont know where to work to even try to do better other than sing different song x)

(I mean, I'm aware my voice isnt amazing and my singing isnt incredible either but im here to have fun and get advice to improve and i feel just being told i didnt pick the right song and nothing else wont help me much x) )
Endaris
Every human has a certain vocal range dependant on his "hardware". Like. Women have higher voices and men lower and individually it also depends.
When you record something you want the vocal line to be comfortable for you to sing so that you can resonate with your body and focus more on individual expression and detail.
In your entry the biggest part of the song was at the higher part of your spectrum and partially went beyond it. That's especially noticeable around 1:04 where you struggle very hard to reach the high notes and can only achieve it by bending your neck and doing some weird breathing (-> tone not coming from vocal folds). But that doesn't have much to do with singing as you can't venture beyond your physical limits. Like, my 6 year old PC can't properly display GW2 on full graphics. It just doesn't work. There will be some beautiful frames but it will be impossible to play and it's about the same with your specific performance.
Try to sing stuff your voice can actually do in regard to its range.

I assume you sang with headphones on while listening to the song. It's easier to find your own vibe by using a metronome instead and then trying to sing the song in different pitches and then try to get the really cool performance with the one that felt most comfortable to breathe in.
Stefan

Garven wrote:

(´・ω ・`)
Kyonko Hizara

Shanipika wrote:

Can i ask what was like.. so wrong with my entry? I mean I got the worst score of everyone and like all i get of a comment (other than Garven's comment) is like welp song wasnt for you cuz not in your vocal range.. like i read pretty much all Kyonko's comment and i feel like i could actually learn to sing better if i knew what i was doing wrong cuz if i got the worst score it cant just be cuz song wasnt for me x) But i dont really know what i do that wrong to get that kinda of score and i dont know where to work to even try to do better other than sing different song x)

(I mean, I'm aware my voice isnt amazing and my singing isnt incredible either but im here to have fun and get advice to improve and i feel just being told i didnt pick the right song and nothing else wont help me much x) )
Endaris' post above is a really good comparison and explanation, if you haven't read his post I suggest you do.

Also when working toward improving your singing, you can benefit greatly from listening to yourself. Even if you do not like hearing yourself sing, talk, etc., this is important to do when trying to improve. Listen for what sounds off or what doesn't sound how you would want it sounding or how you imagine you want it to sound. This helps you to further go through to improving your overall technique as well as your voice. To be general, maybe it is your breathing, pitch, tone, how you hold notes, etc. that does not sound right to you. From here you can figure out what you need to work on the most.

I can review your entry more in PMs with you if you would like a better explanation as to the score you received.
CristopherDLC
Aww man! At this rate I won't be able to get past the stages because of my microphone quality! :( Anyone help me? I have an AudioTechnica ATR2100 USB microphone and it barely records sound. I tried searching everywhere for a solution and nothing! I can't get all of the microphone options to show so I can boost the microphone. The only option available is Volume.. And even when high it barely catches sound. I have to sing really close to the microphone.

Does anyone know a solution? Thanks!
Shiranai
I think I did better this year, aaaand mako feat vroom vroom is the bestest duet name so far ztrot haha😂
Also thanks kyonko for in depth advice comment, maybe I'll sing some japanese song with better equipment next year

Have fun for round 2, I hope we'll have male champion this year <3
Topic Starter
Flanster

CristopherDLC wrote:

Aww man! At this rate I won't be able to get past the stages because of my microphone quality! :( Anyone help me? I have an AudioTechnica ATR2100 USB microphone and it barely records sound. I tried searching everywhere for a solution and nothing! I can't get all of the microphone options to show so I can boost the microphone. The only option available is Volume.. And even when high it barely catches sound. I have to sing really close to the microphone.

Drivers. During the weekend if you wish, I can go over troubleshooting this with you.
LightDreamer

CristopherDLC wrote:

Amplification in Audacity. I also have a very high quality microphone and I need to boost up the volume every time. Also, if you can, buy an analog mic, sounds 10 times better imo.

Also,I'm starting to be concerned about that pop entry..... Found something I want to sing and that I can sing, but I have no way to know if it's really a pop-ballad. Says nothing on the wiki.... I know I found a more upbeat instrumental than the original, but I don't know if it's enough.
Wiki: http://mermaidmelody.wikia.com/wiki/Beautiful_Wish
Instrumental I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYoY1_XX9sQ
CristopherDLC

Flanster wrote:

CristopherDLC wrote:

Drivers. During the weekend if you wish, I can go over troubleshooting this with you.
I will be moving to USA tomorrow so probably we can start on Monday! Or next weekend!
Warfu
Wowowow, I was expecting it for tomorrow xD
Well well, Stage 2 was the round I lost last year, this time I planned my song with time.
Not gonna happen again!!!

Also congrats to everyone who passed Round 1 :)
ztrot
dude I gotta record me doing the pokemon theme song now that entry got me fired up
Kyonko Hizara
4.3/10
Zeptaurus
I was actually thinking of singing the Swedish dub of the first Pokémon OP. #YOLO??? (this is joke plz dont sue but i am considering it)
About the vocal ranges discussed earlier, I would point in the direction of my entry for this round as an example of someone whos singing something a little too low for their vocal range. I didn't have time to find another song though, so that's what I stuck with.
Edit, here is Swedish OP.
LightDreamer
Damn you ztrot, now I want to sing the ending of Jirachi Wishmaker

Best thing is that I found the fabulous pop remake!!!!!! Even if there's an audio watermark at the beginning, I don't care
Cynikz
Is 1:35 too short for stage 2 entries?
Kyonko Hizara

Cynikz wrote:

Is 1:35 too short for stage 2 entries?
It is preferred that for all stages aside from registration that you use longer songs, you do not have to do this, but it is recommended. It's easier to judge your skill with a longer song.
LightDreamer
You will have plenty to judge with Make A Wish, since I will use both of my voices. The powerful one and the very soft one (the one I used previously)
Kyonko Hizara
I'm ready for the next stage

show more