forum

Smooth cursortrail?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
G3T
I've seen several videos/streams of people with long and smooth cursor trails. I've also on occasion had the game seemingly glitch on me when I tab out and back in and then give me a long and smooth cursor trail for a short time, but normally the cursor trail is as below.

When I have a cursor middle the cursor trail is drawn each time my cursor has covered a certain distance, whereas with a smooth trail it seems to be drawing the cursortrail every frame.

Is there any way to induce the long and smooth cursor trail permanently? Am I missing an option or something somewhere?
[Kanzaki Ranko]
Actually, your cursortrail is drawn every single frame when you have a cursormiddle. Having some outer glow in your cursortrail makes it seem smoother, but that's as smooth as it gets.
Topic Starter
G3T

hozuki wrote:

Actually, your cursortrail is drawn every single frame when you have a cursormiddle. Having some outer glow in your cursortrail makes it seem smoother, but that's as smooth as it gets.
It's kind of hard to describe, but when I have a cursormiddle it's not drawing the cursortrail directly under or just prior to the position of my cursor but rather spacing each instance of cursortrail equidistantly from the previous one. I'm looking for the behaviour where it draws each cursortrail instance at the position of the cursor and every frame.
AdventTechno
You can just make a transparent image for cursormiddle so you don't actually have to have a middle for cursors that don't use it (1x1 is fine). Also it's not by frame the cursortrail is created but by image size of the cursortrail. If cursortrail is tiny it produces more images per movement then if the cursortrail was large. This effect eventually hits a "max" though with images overlapping each other at the center of every 3 images (Assuming the cursortrail image hits the exact end of the image size). Image 2 "overlaps" 1 and 3 at the center (Options is opened because I clicked "Preview Gameplay" :)). So there's no way of making cursortrails any "smoother". If you want the trail to produce more per movement past that, than the smallest image you can do is a 5x5 size (Anything lower for me just won't appear in game at all) but it's a very fine trail so idk if it'll be any good aesthetically. I personally used a 19x19 sized image for the screenshot I referenced.

This effect also is influenced by the "Cursor Size" in options :)
[Kanzaki Ranko]

AdventTechno wrote:

You can just make a transparent image for cursormiddle so you don't actually have to have a middle for cursors that don't use it (1x1 is fine). Also it's not by frame the cursortrail is created but by image size of the cursortrail. If cursortrail is tiny it produces more images per movement then if the cursortrail was large. This effect eventually hits a "max" though with images overlapping each other at the center of every 3 images (Assuming the cursortrail image hits the exact end of the image size). Image 2 "overlaps" 1 and 3 at the center (Options is opened because I clicked "Preview Gameplay" :)). So there's no way of making cursortrails any "smoother". If you want the trail to produce more per movement past that, than the smallest image you can do is a 5x5 size (Anything lower for me just won't appear in game at all) but it's a very fine trail so idk if it'll be any good aesthetically. I personally used a 19x19 sized image for the screenshot I referenced.

This effect also is influenced by the "Cursor Size" in options :)
When was this behavior changed? Back when the UI was revamped (with the addition of cursormiddle), it was per frame.

Edit:

Just tested, and the trail is longer when on Stable instead of Stable (Fallback). No changes on distance between draws, though.
AdventTechno
Yeah it's weird to me too but it does seem to work that way :/