forum

[resolved] Give BATs the ability to change star rating icons on ranked

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Jarby
We regularly see ranked maps with star rating icons that don't reflect the difficulty of the map itself. This gives the player the wrong impression of the difficulty of the map and looks pretty nasty and unprofessional, really. However, I do not think it would be beneficial for users to be given the ability to change this themselves as I see it as fairly unnecessary until a map is ranked.

BATs should only change the icon if a difficulty has been judged as been mislabeled, such as there being an obvious jump in difficulty between a Hard and an Insane difficult but both of them being labeled with the Insane icon. Modders do check that difficulty names themselves are not a misleading measure of difficulty, so it's really nothing new that needs to be taken into account by modders.
jericho2442
this is a good idea tbh and it makes sense that if a diff REALLY is something other than what it shows, it needs to be changed ;p

so i support this
Sallad4ever
yes, this could easily solve the problem with wrong star rating for the actual difficulty of the maps
and also this http://puu.sh/Lyn
+support
SapphireGhost
Good idea! I notice that any map that rounds to 5 stars can vary wildly, so it would give players a better idea of what's going on. Perhaps we could even change the star system a bit. Support!
LuigiHann
Not a bad idea
Firo Prochainezo
Not a bad idea since most of the BATs are responsible people.
Derekku
A new star difficulty system was in the works last year, so I think it would be better to wait for that than to implement something like this. :c
Topic Starter
Jarby

Derekku wrote:

A new star difficulty system was in the works last year, so I think it would be better to wait for that than to implement something like this. :c
I really don't think any automated system will be able to judge difficulty with 100% accuracy. Beyond that, there are still so many maps getting ranked now with misleading star ratings. We should take action now. Besides, I don't imagine this being a very time-consuming or complicated thing to implement.
arien666

Jarby wrote:

I really don't think any automated system will be able to judge difficulty with 100% accuracy. Beyond that, there are still so many maps getting ranked now with misleading star ratings. We should take action now. Besides, I don't imagine this being a very time-consuming or complicated thing to implement.
Some agree with this
Dunno but I think numbered diff judgement by people would be better than bots ;_;
RandomJibberish

Derekku wrote:

That system marks all my maps as HIII because of spacing, so no thanks
arien666

RandomJibberish wrote:

That system marks all my maps as HIII because of spacing, so no thanks
And most of my TaikOsu are EEII ;_;
Even [Muzukashii] is only with 1/2 things without 1/4 things ;_;
qlum
I don't think the stars should be changed by mappers/bats, you can already change the difficulty you personally give it. the stars should be an automatic unbiased system even if its not accurate.
I remember peppy making a similar post a while back
LuigiHann
Yeah the stars could remain automated but the E-N-H-I could have manual overrides
Soaprman
There's also this thing that could get some use I guess!
Ephemeral

Jarby wrote:

Derekku wrote:

I agree.

This should be reasonably light to implement and would alleviate many points of contention within the current system regarding difficulty spread and how it is displayed.
KRZY

Derekku wrote:

I go with this. It will be a pain to deal with this on a case-by-case system.
Chronoman
The only thing I see wrong with this is that the BAT would need to be careful to not use relative difficulty or their exclusive viewpoints when rating a beatmap's difficulty (that is, just because someone in the top 1000 would think of an eighth-note heavy beatmap as being about 2.5 due to lack of sixteenth note sets, doesn't mean that's what the rating should be). They'd need to take into consideration what others think of the beatmap as well. Of course, I don't think that the BATs would have such a biased judgement when it comes to things like that, but I do think that maybe, having a system where other users could input their opinions as to how difficult a beatmap is could help the BATs come up with a more accurate rating, if this idea ever sees light. Maybe a user could input their difficulty opinions when they finish a beatmap, along with overall opinion?
xsrsbsns

qlum wrote:

I don't think the stars should be changed by mappers/bats, you can already change the difficulty you personally give it. the stars should be an automatic unbiased system even if its not accurate.
I agree with this 100%.

Anyway in all cases, I'll say don't do it now, and just wait for the new system (perhaps implement this there if needed).
(I don't know, never looked at them icons since joining, and don't really understand what's the fuss about)
Kitsunemimi

KRZY wrote:

Derekku wrote:

I go with this. It will be a pain to deal with this on a case-by-case system.
Although my Hards and Normals almost always get completely messed up star ratings, I think people will begin to try too hard to adjust their star rating icons.... Or something.
Sea_Food
bumb
SlimeMonsta
This Idea must pass.
+Support
eldnl
difficulty doesn't affect the score?
theowest

eldnl wrote:

difficulty doesn't affect the score?
it does

this feature request is only useful as long as difficulty ratings are broken.
Soaprman
The icons could simply be decoupled from the internal "star difficulty" that goes into score calculations. Same applies to a new difficulty star system... the old calculations could still be kept for scoring's sake, and simply not display anywhere.

For what it's worth, I've seen quite a few maps lately with something like this in the description:

Easy by coolmapper1337
Normal by Xx_aL_gORe_xX
Hard by me
Insane by my pet dog Scruffy

I think people like icons and colors as a way of indicating difficulty. I don't think there'd be a problem with letting mappers set the star icons themselves... most mappers will probably be sensible and set them in a clean line. What would anyone gain from misrepresenting their map's difficulty?
Ephemeral

Soaprman wrote:

I think people like icons and colors as a way of indicating difficulty. I don't think there'd be a problem with letting mappers set the star icons themselves... most mappers will probably be sensible and set them in a clean line. What would anyone gain from misrepresenting their map's difficulty?
free reign to ignore and twist the difficulty spread ranking criteria that exists solely to ensure that mapsets have at least a reasonable spread of difficulty that is applicable to more than just the top 5% of players, mainly
Aoko
Definite support, makes sense.
Ekaru

Ephemeral wrote:

free reign to ignore and twist the difficulty spread ranking criteria that exists solely to ensure that mapsets have at least a reasonable spread of difficulty that is applicable to more than just the top 5% of players, mainly
This. Some people have pretty unrealistic expectations of most newer players.

Though, at the very least would it be possible to readjust the star ratings to be more in line with modern standards? <4.75 stars is definitely a Hard, <4.25 is almost certainly a Normal, etc. Still not perfect but at least it would make more sense for now.
Soaprman

Ephemeral wrote:

Soaprman wrote:

Perhaps there are those who would label Another/FOUR DIMENSIONS as Normal/Hard...
Ephemeral
see, i would have unranked that without a second thought had I known about that at the time

difficulty spread is probably the most important of all the criterion-based rules that we enforce.
Soaprman
I absolutely agree with that. And perhaps it's just a lack of experience with modding beatmaps these days that makes me want to believe that people would keep their star icons in line with their difficulty names.
Ephemeral
i too would like to believe that would be the case, but my past experience as a BAT whom practically had to force the rulings down people's throats on a near daily basis, it just isn't meant to be.

there was talk of a revised star rating happening two or so years ago - i'll chase up what happened with that and see if we can get at least some revisions done to distinguish difficult maps from each other more effectively than just being locked at 4.99 or 5.0 star rating
Stefan
This basically has been solved in most points due the new 10-star rating system and the rule requirement to not leave a star icon in a mapset spread. It's not to 100% accurate but by far the best you can have at the moment, I also would avoid leaving the BNG (new form of BAT) to set the star icons.
Myxo

Stefan wrote:

rule requirement to not leave a star icon in a mapset spread
That does not longer exist. Otherwise I agree.
arviejhay
what was the star icon do? or meaning?
- Marco -

arviejhay wrote:

what was the star icon do? or meaning?
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Submission#Star :D
Bara-
Uhm
This request is about the E/N/H/I/X stars, not BN stars/kudosu stars
Vuelo Eluko
seems unnecessary, the diff system is a far cry better than it was back when everything that was equivalent of 3 star now or higher was 5 stars, and even back then i dont think this idea was ever considered to have difficulties visually shown as something other than what the system marks it as.

It still remains that the most viable way of telling how hard a map is, is to look at its scoreboard, but the star system offers a decent bonus and helps calculate pp, thats the main purpose, being able to change the logo creates an unwelcome disconnect between star rating and pp imo, and will just add more confusion on top of the current things that baffle most less experienced players such as slider heavy maps penalizing their acc pp, getting their pp throttled by od, length bonuses etc. etc.