forum

Getting too nervous

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Creyz
We all know this feeling.When you are close to fcing a song and then you start getting excited and nervous and shaky and then you miss.Imagine that 10x worse and you will know how I feel.
I'm at a level where I could fc any 5-5.5 star map but because I get nervous when I'm halfway through the song I have to go back to 4.5-5.But I can't even do that! It's getting so bad that I can even hold my pen properly,I even drop it sometimes and that's when I fail and get angry.The problem is that when I retry I'm still shaky as hell so I can't really do much and then I have to take a 10 minute break only to let the same thing happen again.
I know that it's normal to get nervous but is there anything you can do to make it a little better? I keep trying to remind myself that this is just a game and it doesn't mean anything but it doesn't help.
help me :(
Dre-
Play long maps and marathon style maps and try to fc them like this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/89912 if its over 5 minutes it'll probably get you nervous because of the bigger combo it'll also train your endurance which will help you last longer make sure its a song that you like personally i love this https://osu.ppy.sh/b/281843 and it works for me remember if its boring dont do it you'll improve slower.
DeathHydra
Play easier maps. 5 stars is still kinda above your level. Build your consistency slowly and steady.

Usually the reason people got nervous is because they keep thinking about the pp gain after FCing it. The harder the map, more pp will be gained and you will get more nervous. Don't think too much about pp and you should be fine.
Hvick711
Just play for fun.
dung eater
enjoy getting nervous

you can't after you don't get nervous
Sayorie

-Toushin wrote:

plz enjoy game
FTFY
-Makishima S-
When you start shaking, pause and hit wall with your head, preferable from running.

Just play more long maps, ranked / unranked whatever till you realize that you feel nothing on 3k combo +.
Rhonin
try turning off in-game interface? so you don't have to see how big your combo is growing.
Skybussa

rhonin77 wrote:

try turning off in-game interface? so you don't have to see how big your combo is growing.
This.

It helps a lot when you can't see your accuracy/combo/% of map complete. You can hide the interface by holding shift+tab while in a song.

Note: this does not remove the leaderboard (I highly recommend you remove that too by pressing tab)
StephOsu

Renji wrote:

Note: this does not remove the leaderboard (I highly recommend you remove that too by pressing tab)
and then it reappears during a break near the end of the song, which makes you extremely nervous and fail the remaining of the map FeelsBadMan
not the best way to remove nervousness but it could work for some people
repr1se
Don't think about the combo. Focus on hitting each circle. Use Shift+Tab if you have to, this removes the UI.
KanoSet

jaaakb wrote:

enjoy getting nervous

you can't after you don't get nervous
^this
tfg50

Creyz wrote:

I'm at a level where I could fc any 5-5.5 star map but because I get nervous when I'm halfway through the song I have to go back to 4.5-5.
Hmmmmm... Let me list your fcs on 5-5.5 star maps:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/795988?m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/932223?m=0 19 seconds, I've played 4.0-4.2* maps that are harder to fc
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/808848?m=0 (maybe, I don't have supporter)
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/638493?m=0 no misses 87%

done

Sry if you think I'm being rude but sometimes the truth needs to be said.

Are you fkin serious? Don't overestimate yourself. Hint: all those maps are under 1:30 and have REALLY overrated sections if you consider the stars and the bpm. Even though I haven't played the first map I can take a good guess that it has some overrated back and forth jumps that you happened to hit, that's easier than tons of 4.5-5* maps... There's also a line on the acc that separates playing properly and just spamming or playing stuff that is too hard for you. Don't judge difficulty by stars, especially on recent maps. Actually, forget not having played it, I just downloaded it and I was right.

Now about getting nervous, that's common even for god players when they are making a great score by their standard. Some people don't get too affected by it, others are simply used to it. Just play longer maps (no, 2 minute is not long enough) and also when you are nervous/shaking, having larger area or lower sens helps.
Topic Starter
Creyz

tfg50 wrote:

Are you fkin serious? Don't overestimate yourself. Hint: all those maps are under 1:30 and have REALLY overrated sections if you consider the stars and the bpm. Even though I haven't played the first map I can take a good guess that it has some overrated back and forth jumps that you happened to hit, that's easier than tons of 4.5-5* maps... There's also a line on the acc that separates playing properly and just spamming or playing stuff that is too hard for you. Don't judge difficulty by stars, especially on recent maps. Actually, forget not having played it, I just downloaded it and I was right.
Ok I guess you're right.Those maps weren't really hard to FC and 2 of them were actually first try. I've realised now that 5.5+ is out of my level and I've gone back to 4.5-5.By the way,removing the ingame interface helped A LOT.I didn't even know you could do that.I guess my problem was that I kept looking at my acc and at my combo and that made nervous.Ofc I still get a bit nervous,but removing the interface made it much better.
Thanks everyone for their helpful replies :D
Horaizon-
Maybe I'll remove the interface. I always look at the combo and accuracy that makes me excited and nervous. What I usually do is pause the game but don't learn that thing from me because to be honest, it doesn't help me. Being nervous is normal, mostly if you hadn't made SS in a beatmap.
chainpullz

tfg50 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/795988?m=0

Are you fkin serious? Don't overestimate yourself. Hint: all those maps are under 1:30 and have REALLY overrated sections if you consider the stars and the bpm. Even though I haven't played the first map I can take a good guess that it has some overrated back and forth jumps that you happened to hit, that's easier than tons of 4.5-5* maps...
It has a couple of full screen horizontal jumps that spike the difficult and make the map feel utterly ridiculous but aside from that I think I 1x missed it my first play when it was qualified and promptly deleted the map and searched for a decent full size version.

Edit: nm not quite full screen, but they would be if they are more than fullscreen when rotated vertical.

Casual jump from 1.8DS to 3.8DS when the music isn't even that accented there...
Horaizon-
Yup, removing the UI helped me, thank you rhonin77 and Renji for the tip
Xyrus_old_1
Play marathons and start cursor dancing after you get 1k combo. If you can do that and still FC the map, your confidence issues will practically disappear.