forum

The more you play the higher the rank?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
marijaench
First time posting so sorry if this is in the wrong category.
Just want to know if I'm the only one who thinks like this.

I have a friend who plays 2 star songs, all with mods and gets SS, is #500 in the country. I play 3-4 star songs and am ~#700. The only other difference is they are playing daily, I'm playing a few times a month. How come 2 star songs get you higher than normal-ranked songs?
Deif
Moved to the correct subforum. Also using extra mods as hidden, hardrock,... and getting high accuracy like those SS will help you getting more pp and therefore a higher rank.
DeathHydra
Rank is determined by the amount of pp. Read the osu!wiki to know more because I'm lazy to elaborate
autoteleology
It's not about how hard the song you're playing, it's how well you do relative to the song difficulty. Almost any play that is not full combo or close to it is worthless for rank.
Mahogany
Without a full combo the * diff of the song you're playing is irrelevant to ranking
Pituophis
but i got some peepee when I didnt eff cee a map
chainpullz

Pituophis wrote:

Same tbh.
ithgyu
who cares what rank he is if hes playing 2 star shit, keep playing harder stuff and in a month you will shit on him and be higher rank easy
Alpgh367
Play count does not determine rank, performance points do. You can read more about performance points here.
Mahogany
Actually you will gain performance points from having ranked clears. A small amount but it exists

So play count does determine rank in a minor way
StephOsu

chainpullz wrote:

Pituophis wrote:

Same tbh.
same
Yuudachi-kun

Mahogany wrote:

Actually you will gain performance points from having ranked clears. A small amount but it exists

10,000 MAPS TO 416 PP
StephOsu

Khelly wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

10,000 MAPS TO 416 PP
IMAGINE IF COOKIEZI HAS THAT AMOUNT OF PP HE WOULD TAKE OVER HVICK AS #1
brb shooting myself by mentioning cookiezi in this shit hole
Topic Starter
marijaench
So then being good at osu means less that playing for hours every day? Since nobody can get a full combo at first anyway but 2 star songs with full mods are too easy for me :D
Hinpoppo

marijaench wrote:

So then being good at osu means less that playing for hours every day? Since nobody can get a full combo at first anyway but 2 star songs with full mods are too easy for me :D
W-what?
No, it's as simple as anything else in the real world, you do something, you suck at it, you do it more, you get better.

The idea behind playing harder stuff to get better is that your "potential" for PP grows, as getting a no-miss score (what we call an FC for Fullcombo) on a 5 star song will at logical minimum be like 120pp. Your number of PP for that play increases as you fullcombo once more but increase your accuracy; that is to say a fullcombo that is 99% on that same song will give you, say, 150pp.

The reason why your friend is getting more PP is because he's playing the game, in terms of ranking, the right way. But he'll be hitting a wall soon if he doesn't start playing harder stuff. That is to say that fullcombo-ing something is the only viable way of getting PP, and the accuracy you get while fullcombo-ing is something that increases the value of the fullcombo.

TL;DR is that
PP= What your rank is based off of
How to get PP? Fullcombo something.
How to get more PP from the same song? Increase accuracy.
How to get more PP from different songs? Play harder songs and Fullcombo with good acc.

Edit: I hope that was cohesive enough.
jesse1412

marijaench wrote:

Good people get FCs first try on hard maps.
Endaris
It is proven by science that people who play more will have a higher average rank than people who don't.
Rurree
As you play more, you improve, you get better, you get more pp as the days go by.. resulting in your ranks going up.
Sup A Noob
If you're getting better the more you play, yes you will have a higher rank, naturally.

If not, you'll have to look at how you're playing. Playing the only the simple stuff 9999999 times won't let you get better, and thus won't let you get higher rank, in the long run.
vsprite
play more