forum

Nintendo 3DS

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ph0X
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62926
Next-gen DS, will be backward compatible with DS and DSi, but will also have 3D without the glasses.

I already said in another thread, but I really hope they get some accelerometer and compas and stuff in there.
It's pretty much the only things it lacks, as it has everything else such as camera, microphone, wifi, etc.

I always found DS to be the best handheld device, mainly because it was just different, just like the Wii.
PSP has a way more hardcore hardware and you can play crazy 3D games on it, but the thing is, I can play those on my computer. I want something to play fun and different games instead. But that's my oppinion on gaming~
Ekaru
Now to tell my dad, "For my Honor Roll gift, I would like money to go towards a Nintendo 3DS."

The backwards compatibility is what got me. That and I want to be able to play the next Pokemon game when it comes out. I mean the one after the next gen- oh fuck it you know what I mean.
Loginer
Rumors that surfaced earlier this year claimed development kits for a so-called DS2 were already in the hands of various studios, including The Pokemon Company. packing a tilt-sensor and hardware "similar in power to the GameCube."
If this turns out to be true, I'm buying one at release.
Yingwu

Loginer wrote:

If this turns out to be true, I'm buying one at release.
I'm going to buy it on release anyways, i know myself good enough that i'll be curious and want to find it out myself how good it is :D

And those test displays in stores suck XP

*edit*

I hope this won't be 3d with that cross-eye trick... It's very useful and cool but is tiring as hell.
Topic Starter
Ph0X
I'm pretty sure it's like that one video I posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25387

But yea, the only thing DS needed was a better hardware.
Also, another thing I'd really like to see is homebrew support.
They should honestly give people an SDK and let people make and load their own homebrews on there.
It's such a powerful system, but it's sad how you need a modchip in order to use them, which somehow explain why the homebrew community is so small after all these years :
mm201
Lol, watch it be a DSi with included instructions to "tilt it sideways and cross your eyes"

Unless it's a voxel display or something 3 inches thick, the 3d isn't going to be perfect. I'd expect something like those holographic-cards that operate off a window blinds sort of effect.

For this to be okay, it would need a crazy-high DPI and good AA+texture filtering. Otherwise the aliasing would just make it atrocious to play. We can hope for Gamecube hardware, but, this being Nintendo, I wouldn't put it past them to cheap out in the name of costs.
Topic Starter
Ph0X
From what I heard, it's gonna be those screens that show different images according the angle you look at it from. Although, since the angle from your eyes isn't that big, you will most likely have to hold it right infront of you.

Also, if it has gamecube level graphics, let's not forget that gamecube runs at 640x480 and the old ds was at like 256 x 192
Even if they double and go 480x360, it will still be half the pixels from gamecube. But yes will 3D, it will double back to the same because they'll be rendering everything twice.

I highly doubt they'd make something completely stupid that is really hard to use, an in any case, since it ds/dsi compatible, it can surely be turned off.
Loginer

MetalMario201 wrote:

For this to be okay, it would need a crazy-high DPI and good AA+texture filtering. Otherwise the aliasing would just make it atrocious to play. We can hope for Gamecube hardware, but, this being Nintendo, I wouldn't put it past them to cheap out in the name of costs.
Most DS games have AA. What makes you think 3DS games wouldn't?
awp

johns wrote:

I think 3D is going to be awesome.eventually. I see the 3DS as a step in the right direction. But only when I am able to see avatar quality from the palm of my hands will I buy a 3D gaming device.I think it is a right technology at the right time.
God damn it you better not fucking post 3 times and then disappear forever
LuigiHann

Loginer wrote:

DS games generally don't seem to have very good AA, especially for the textures in 3D games, which tend to have extremely obvious giant square pixels when stuff gets close to the camera. I'm thinking of Mario Kart at the moment but you see it all over DS games.

I do like the idea of 3D in a handheld a lot better than the idea of 3D on a television or computer screen. Just makes more sense, for the limited viewing angles and something about the idea of actually holding the object makes it seem more reasonable
Loginer

LuigiHann wrote:

Loginer wrote:

DS games generally don't seem to have very good AA, especially for the textures in 3D games, which tend to have extremely obvious giant square pixels when stuff gets close to the camera.
Anti-aliasing and texture filtering are not the same thing.
mm201
1. There is no AA between intersecting polygons.
2. Transforms are only accurate to the nearest pixel.
3. There is no AA on textures.
4. There is no texture filtering. (Yes, these are different.)
5. Even with AA, the low DPI will create a screendoor effect, interfering with the stereoscopic effect.
oddysea682
I might sell my DSi for a Nintendo3DS (imagine playing Elite Beat Agents in 3D! :) )
Loginer

oddysea682 wrote:

I might sell my DSi for a Nintendo3DS (imagine playing Elite Beat Agents in 3D! :) )
3D backgrounds sound terribly distracting.
LuigiHann

Loginer wrote:

oddysea682 wrote:

3D backgrounds sound terribly distracting.
Good thing the EBA backgrounds are flat. 3D dancers wouldn't be too bad, as long as the circles themselves are "on" the screen and the characters and backgrounds are just set deeper into it. Not that the 3D is going to be backwards-compatible, that just wouldn't make sense.
Topic Starter
Ph0X
IMAGINE A SLIDER COMING OUT OF THE SCREEN INTO YOUR FACE!
Yeah, what now.
K2J
Big news:

Friend Codes are somewhat de-suckyfied. Including non-game specific friend list that informs you when someone's online, no matter what game you're playing, and automatic friending by playing over local wireless.

It looks like those reports of a 3~5 battery life on low settings were wrong - they were actually high settings. (Lot of other quick FAQs at that link, including things on multitasking).

Launch data:

1. Japan: 26th February, ¥25,000 ($300 US)
  2. Europe: 25th March, retailer-set price: £229.99 at HMV, £219.99 at GAME, or about $350 US (!)
  3. North America: 27th March, $250 US
  4. Australia: March, unknown price
The remainder of this is based off of the NA conference, so some of it might not apply to other regions.

Games overview:

Metroid-based stage (and probably playable Samus) in DoA:

"Launch Window" games:

None of these are confirmed for launch day, but within the first three months. Hopefully we'll get them pinned down sooner or later - this is probably the worst thing so far about the 3DS, in that there aren't too many stellar "must have" titles coming out right away, though the price might also be a bad point for you. Speaking of price, there doesn't seem to be a set MSRP on the games, but Street Fighter is going to be $40.

1. Asphalt 3D
  2. Bust-A-Move Universe
  3. Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
  4. Crush 3D
  5. Dead or Alive Dimensions
  6. Dual Pen Sports
  7. LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  8. Madden NFL Football
  9. nintendogs + cats
  10. Pilotwings Resort
  11. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  12. Rabbids Travel in Time
  13. Rayman 3D
  14. Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
  15. Ridge Racer 3D
  16. Samurai Warriors Chronicles
  17. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
  18. Super Monkey Ball 3D
  19. Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  20. The Sims 3
  21. Thor: God of Thunder
  22. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
  23. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D
Other games

Ocarina of Time using gyroscope for first-person mode
Kid Icarus uprising

Misc System Stuff

Hardware overview
Built-in software overview
Augmented reality cameras AKA Yu-Gi-Oh! mode

Yes, I know this post is full of Kotaku stuff, but shut up, it's some of the best I could find. I'm getting really excited... for the system. Not too much for the games, but hey, the DS took a while before Sakurai's game came along and proved what unique games could be created for the system, and I have a feeling that's going to happen again here.
rust45
First: Wasn't there already a topic for this?

Second: I really don't like that list, the only one that really interests me is Devil Survivor, but I'll only get that if they add more stuff than 3D/Improved Graphics.
oddysea682
I dunno about it it seems cool and the graphics are great but for now ill stay with my psp go.
K2J

rust45 wrote:

First: Wasn't there already a topic for this?
Yeah, I thought I checked, but I guess not good enough. Mods can merge.
Kakarotto_old
I'll buy if hackers development a new R4 for them.
LuigiHann
Hey, it worked
Mara
So, I heard new 3DS is region locked. Is this true?
Lybydose

LunaticMara wrote:

So, I heard new 3DS is region locked. Is this true?
Yes
Mara
Daaaaaaaaaaamn.
adam2046
Can't wait to see what price the games will be in Australia so I can feel even less inclined to buy a 3DS this decade.
Rantai

adam2046 wrote:

Can't wait to see what price the games will be in Australia so I can feel even less inclined to buy a 3DS this decade.
While not an official price, I pre-ordered one with an estimated price of $350.

I honestly thought it would be around $300 but I don't really care.
awp
250 USD

Games run about 40
Mashley
US price $250
UK price £230
1 British pound = 1.5996 U.S. dollars

*ahem*
FUCK YOU, NINTENDO
RandomJibberish
It's probably partially the tax increases too

*ahem*
FUCK YOU, UK GOVERNMENT
Loginer

K2J wrote:

None of these are confirmed for launch day, but within the first three months.
SPOILER
[flash=640,391:b1534]http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:709368[/flash:b1534]
dfuzz1987
The 3DS is gonna be the greatest!
Hatsune Miku_old

oddysea682 wrote:

I dunno about it it seems cool and the graphics are great but for now ill stay with my psp go.
wait for the cat to jump.....
Gomo Psivarh
Chemical Equation: (How to make a 3DS)

Δ
DS + DSL + DSi === 3DS + Li
awp
and yet the Lithium Ion battery in the 3DS can't hold out as well

maybe that's why the Li is factored out on the RHS
Soaprman
Really sucks about the battery life. It'd be great if battery technology actually advanced some.

I plan on getting one around launch anyway though... even if the launch lineup isn't anything interesting. I'll probably just pick the shittiest game since I don't buy enough shitty games.