forum

Is this really General Discussion?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rurree
Well, it does say on the description that General Discussion is for non-osu! topics but it seems that a lot of topics here are still osu! related, there are people asking about tablets, recorders, tips, etc, I don't mean to be rude but I'm finding it quite annoying..

I think it'd be nice if we make GD something like MyAnimeList's Casual Discussion, where in we talk about plenty of interesting topics such as politics, habits, experiences, and etc.

Just my thought. :)
chaee
if you want to discuss politics, habits, and experiences, you should make threads about such topics

pretty sure the reason why there are so many osu related discussions in gd is because people cant be arsed to read the rules (i'm guilty of that lel)
Rilene
But politics is somehow a touchy subject.
Not sure is it allow here or not but about MyAnimeList and such a stuff, that should go Otaku Culture, I guess.
Topic Starter
Rurree

Rilene wrote:

Not sure is it allow here or not but about MyAnimeList and such a stuff, that should go Otaku Culture, I guess.
That's not what I meant.

I meant that even a website like MyAnimeList has a "Casual Discussion" subforum which encourages people to have intellectual and interesting discussions.

I think it's fine to have touchy subjects as long as no one gets too personal.
Mahogany
I agree it's annoying people don't read the very description of a board before posting

Anyway as much as I'd love intellectual and interesting conversations, I'm afraid probably the majority of this community is probably incapable of holding such a conversation. Sorry OP, but if you're looking for reasonable discussion, here's probably not the right place.
Topic Starter
Rurree

Mahogany wrote:

I agree it's annoying people don't read the very description of a board before posting

Anyway as much as I'd love intellectual and interesting conversations, I'm afraid probably the majority of this community is probably incapable of holding such a conversation. Sorry OP, but if you're looking for reasonable discussion, here's probably not the right place.
I'm afraid so. It's such a shame though, it's like GD has no actual purpose. Even "quality content" is nowhere to be found.

I'd like to suggest to forum mods to clean up this sub-topic and make GD, well, GD. Kinda unlikely though. :/

Well, interesting people to have an informative discussion can be found anywhere, even if they're a few so I could still hope for it, lol.

@chaeee I'd like to try that but I might have to wait, trolls are everywhere and topics that are here at the moment are way too far off from what I want to talk about.
Nathanael

Mahogany wrote:

Agreed. Some people don't even bother reading them.

Rurree wrote:

I'd like to suggest to forum mods to clean up this sub-topic and make GD, well, GD. Kinda unlikely though. :/
I'll notify the moderators who are in charge of this subforum about your suggestion.
Topic Starter
Rurree
Greatly appreciated, Nathanael.

May I also suggest to have more than just 5 forum moderators? I think there's too much burden placed on them, considering that osu as a community is growing day by day. I suggest a minimum of 10 individuals where in they're assigned different sub forums so that their responsibilities are evened out.

If GD does get cleared, it's pretty much guaranteed that it'll revert to it's old state if it's not monitored regularly.
deadbeat

Nathanael wrote:

Mahogany wrote:

Agreed. Some people don't even bother reading them.
i don't have the time nor interest in teaching people how to read

Nathanael wrote:

Rurree wrote:

I'll notify the moderators who are in charge of this subforum about your suggestion.
i received no notification :/

anyway, to clarify things. osu! stuff goes in Help or Gameplay & Ranking depending on the subject. Video Games stuff goes in Video Games. Anime stuff goes in Otaku Culure and casual stuff like movies or sports goes here. If you wanna talk about Politics here, go nuts
Topic Starter
Rurree
It'd be nice to talk about that if this sub forum has actually established itself as a place for "quality content". It's not like that right now though so I guess it'd be ideal for me to wait for a while.

Threads that have no connection to GD should be locked, because I noticed that osu! related threads are being tolerated as of now, possibly due to the fact that they've grown tired of reminding people all the time when it's already stated before entering this sub forum. I have no idea if this is just because of mods being lenient or if they've just grown tired of it happening all the time. Not criticising anybody, just a hunch.

Maybe I'm making too much of an issue of this but I feel like GD could be so much more than this.
B1rd
If you try and have a serious discussion in GD you will get silenced/thread deleted.
Rilene

B1rd wrote:

If you try and have a serious discussion in GD you will get silenced/thread deleted.
Does this apply to OT?
deadbeat

B1rd wrote:

why on earth would we do that. stop being a downer
Aurani
>Let's discuss politics
>Majority of people are 15 or around that age
What the fuck do YOU know about politics? If I were to discuss it with someone who's as mature as deadbeat, then yeah, sure, but given the playerbase, yeah no. :V
Liiraye

Aurani wrote:

>Let's discuss politics
What the fuck do YOU know about politics? If I were to discuss it with someone who's as mature as deadbeat, then yeah, sure, but given the playerbase, yeah no. :V

screw the system man! anarchy!!!!!
Lacrimae

Liiraye wrote:

Aurani wrote:

>Let's discuss politics
screw the system man! anarchy!!!!!
fuck donald trump!!! he's like hitler!!1 vote for bernie sanders instead!!!!!!!!11oneone
deadbeat
let's ton down the satire a bit here shall we :p
B1rd

deadbeat wrote:

B1rd wrote:

why on earth would we do that. stop being a downer
Because all it takes is one mod to come in and not like what they see. And all of the best discussions are about something controversial, and mods can't tolerate any dissension in their circlejerk subforum.

Rilene wrote:

Does this apply to OT?
Usually not, since most of the stuff is buried under 10 layers of shit so the mods don't bother.
Topic Starter
Rurree

Aurani wrote:

>Let's discuss politics
Politics isn't the only topic I mentioned, jeez. I wouldn't give it as an example if I were indifferent to it? No need to ask that in such a condescending tone.

I guess based from the replies we can't really have any interesting and serious discussions around here, oh well.
Aurani
I wasn't replying only to you.

Anyways, yes, there is absolutely no way GD is going to become anything productive. I already mentioned this a year ago, but GD is essentially useless as OT already does its job 3 times better, and OT is shit, so imagine how shit this place must be. :p

If we could remove GD and stop mongrels from spamming meme threads in OT whist replacing them with meaningful topics, we would achieve perfect balance and harmony here, but that's never going to happen - not in my lifetime at least.
FuZ

Aurani wrote:

If we could remove GD and stop mongrels from spamming meme threads in OT whist replacing them with meaningful topics, we would achieve perfect balance and harmony here, but that's never going to happen - not in my lifetime at least.
no please keep ot for shit and gd for intellectual discussion
deadbeat
General Discussion does have it's merits over Off Topic when it come to certain stuff, like the Post your desktop, fool thread or even something like What have you done lately to better yourself?. Not all threads here have to be super serious. As long as we can keep to the topic at hand and not shit post everywhere, everything should be fine, to a certain degree.
Pawsu
it's when things get out of control, and things get nonsensical is when it gets locked, which is very practical. it just unfortunately is the case for many threads
Topic Starter
Rurree

deadbeat wrote:

General Discussion does have it's merits over Off Topic when it come to certain stuff, like the Post your desktop, fool thread or even something like What have you done lately to better yourself?. Not all threads here have to be super serious. As long as we can keep to the topic at hand and not shit post everywhere, everything should be fine, to a certain degree.
Well, I never meant to say that GD should always be serious. I just want it to be a place that's fun and meaningful to hang out in, which it isn't right now. My idea in mind has always been to make it look like MyAnimeList's Casual Discussion, because in that subforum actual discussions take place, while it may not be good as before, it's still at least meaningful to an extent.

@Aurani - I think OT is just exclusively for shit posting besides FG and Surveys, their roles are different for me, but what you said is sadly a bit true. When one thinks about it, GD really is unlikely to be productive any time soon.
Stefan

Rilene wrote:

Why?

EDIT: Reading the whole and asking what's the problem behind politics conversations. o_O Just don't throw your shit if you have no idea, that's the only thing you need to consider.

OP: The issue GD currently has is the lack of moderation it got in the last months, that's something we noticed and we start to solve this by having more moderators looking for this forum more frequentely.
B1rd

Stefan wrote:

Rilene wrote:

EDIT: Reading the whole and asking what's the problem behind politics conversations. o_O Just don't throw your shit if you have no idea, that's the only thing you need to consider.
I don't understand this statement.

deadbeat wrote:

Yes, the post your x threads and blog threads really are the highlight of GD.

What is your definition of 'fine to a certain degree'? Because I bet that if I were to try and have a serious political discussion here it would be shut down because something I said offended the sensibilities of some mod.
deadbeat

B1rd wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

Yes, the post your x threads and blog threads really are the highlight of GD.

What is your definition of 'fine to a certain degree'? Because I bet that if I were to try and have a serious political discussion here it would be shut down because something I said offended the sensibilities of some mod.
Do: Did anyone check out the presidency debate last night? it was kind of a joke
Don't: holly fuck. that presidency debate last night was stupid. how the fuck can people vote for retards like trump

are you seeing the picture here yet? or need me to explain further?
B1rd

deadbeat wrote:

Do: Did anyone check out the presidency debate last night? it was kind of a joke
Don't: holly fuck. that presidency debate last night was stupid. how the fuck can people vote for retards like trump

are you seeing the picture here yet? or need me to explain further?
When you say to keep to the topic and not shitpost, it seems to me that it's implying civility in discussion as well. The problem is things being censored for other reasons.

Like when you deleted that deep web thread because apparently a youtube video from a popular youtuber was too risque.
deadbeat
actually, i removed that for other reasons. thank you for trying to oversimplify things
Stefan
It's about not to post content if you don't know what's the topic/thread about. As well, what deadbeat pointed out, if you participate in a 'more sensible' conversation think twice about your wording. If you consider these things there is absolutely nothing against these topics.
B1rd

deadbeat wrote:

actually, i removed that for other reasons. thank you for trying to oversimplify things
Now I remember, you deleted it because of 'inappropriate' discussion, while refusing to elaborate on what 'inappropriate' was. Inappropriate is simply whatever you personally feel it to be. Just goes to show that even perfectly civil, on topic threads will be deleted if one of the many mods has an issue with the subject matter.

Even when you try to be cooperative and try and work with a mod to get to the bottom of an issue, they will do little to nothing to help you, if they don't ignore you completely. It's no wonder why no one tries to have any 'serious discussion' when there's these meddling bunch of nuisances who call themselves GMT around.
deadbeat
i'm not going to engage in this discussion with you again. i still remember that steam conversation, and i must say, i'm still far from impressed from how that went.
anyway, before this gets completely out of hand, tl;dr threads containing serious discussions are allowed. interventions will happen though if threads get out of hand. that about sum this up?
IppE
I really need to make a macro that automatically writes the whole "general discussion is for non-osu related topics" quote.

Edit: done did that, aww yeah. Now I'm 20% more efficient when telling people off.
abraker
There is off-topic for posting utter shit and then general discussion for posting relevant non osu! stuff. Unfortunately, people are still posting shit. Not utter random shit, but shit that spawns weak discussion.

Suggest a name? How tall are you? Username origin?
Those can be catagorized to go under surveys. There are are some other topics which can be questioned why they are not in another subforum. Ultimately, where these topics are dictates its exposure. These topics wouldn't have recieved the attention they have had they started in surveys or elsewhere.

What is the best recorder? Smart device into drawing tablet. puush not working.
Those are general discussion ok, but they still dont provide an opportunity for a strong discussion. Only feedback regarding OP would be a valid post, otherwise there's only room for offtopic.

Stuff like politics, discussing theories, speculations, philosophy, etc are some things that the osu! forums are missing. I dont known whether it's due to the community being too young to bother with such things or that the forums have become such a shitposting dumphole that any of those topics would be vandalized and have their integrity stript off before being shamefully locked due to some circlejerk discussion.

I would love there to be more thought provoking serious discussions on here. Maybe a dedicated, very strictly modded subforum section would allow these to flourish. Maybe it will be empty. Dunno :\
show more