forum

Motion sickness free mania-like gamemode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +6
Topic Starter
DevRT
I get very bad motion sickness when I play osu!mania, and I know many other people do too; however I do not get any motion sickness from osu!standard. So, what I propose is a new game mode that would use the osu!standard approach circle style as the interface while using the multi key style gameplay from osu!mania.

Some ideas of how to implement this:
1: Placing notes into key columns for example a J column where the indicator of when to hit the note in the J column is given by an approach circle, and hold down notes would be displayed as a slider-like object. Once the column reaches the top or bottom it will reset to the opposite side.
2: Using a key indicator to tell the player what key to hit such as: having red be J, or a square be J, or simply just playing the key in the circle.
Bara-
It can be helpful for people that have it, but it also sounds really confusing, and not worth it to make a new mode.
A mod would be better imo
LastExceed
I also had a problem with motion sickness once. I solved this problem by switching to bpm scaling instead of fixed scroll speed and going down to speed 9...
Topic Starter
DevRT
Ive tried different scroll speeds, playing with hidden, playing with flashlight, and using different skins. No matter what I change it wont help; which is why I suggested a different interface that does not have the typical scrolling mania interface.
hapiPlonz
Is it because of the flashing lights? Flickering Bars? what is it?
Topic Starter
DevRT

hapiPlonz wrote:

Motion sickness is caused by conflicting signals between your balance-sensing system and your eyes. In other words one sees the downward scrolling interface from osu!mania, but everything else is not moving downward, and thus gets motion sickness.
Bara-
Do you get the same when playing taiko/ctb?
abraker

DevRT wrote:

hapiPlonz wrote:

Motion sickness is caused by conflicting signals between your balance-sensing system and your eyes. In other words one sees the downward scrolling interface from osu!mania, but everything else is not moving downward, and thus gets motion sickness.
Change skin for it go upward instead?
ReTLoM
hmm maybe u can use the Project Diva-Mode for mania made by IamBaum t/365396&start=0
Azumu_old
make it look like rhythm control 2? every circle is 1 column https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO-MTRL2u1c
gintoki147
You're just not used to it.
I was like this when I started playing Guitar Hero in my teens.

play more
Endaris
The problem with a standard-like approach is that on harder mania-maps it gets literally unreadable as it will look even worse than playing BASARA on AR0.
Sure, you can set a high "scrollspeed" but you can't reduce the distance the approach circle are moving without decreasing readability which means that you have to space the columns really far apart from each other so you either run into the trouble of the approachcircles overlapping with each other or breaking up the traditional setup of having the columns horizontally arranged to match the finger's setup.
I also think that it's very difficult to properly display LNs without ruining pretty much every advantage such a layout would have.
Topic Starter
DevRT

Bara- wrote:

Do you get the same when playing taiko/ctb?
Yes.

ReTLoM wrote:

hmm maybe u can use the Project Diva-Mode for mania made by IamBaum t/365396&start=0
This looks really interesting ill have to try it and see if/ how much motion sickness it gives.

Azumu wrote:

make it look like rhythm control 2? every circle is 1 column https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO-MTRL2u1c
This is pretty close to what my original idea was.

And to everyone making the "Your just not use to it" type of comments please just stop. First, if you don't get motion sickness these comments are 100% meaningless. Second, if you do get motion sickness and you somehow actually "got past it" then good for you, but I can guarantee that you wouldn't have if it made you feel like puking after 1 map.