forum

Ghost Trick

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sinistro
You've probably heard about it months ago, but it's a point-and-click adventure by the creator of the Ace Attorney series.

You play as Sissel, a newly dead man who has lost his memories. As a spirit, you can possess inanimate objects within a certain range and manipulate some of them. You can also travel back in time 4 minutes before the death of other people. Sissel uses his powers to change the grim fate of innocents and, hopefully, find out who he is and why he was killed. He only has until the end of the night, though; at sunrise, his soul will disappear forever.

This game has a lot going for it: intriguing puzzle-solving concept with some time-sensitive parts (if you've ever played the flash game series Hapland, you know exactly what I mean), snappy music, Ace Attorney's humour and, it seems, a similarly good localisation and, of course, the fluid animation you can see just by watching the trailers.

I just got it. I'm looking forward to impressions and a whole lot of black bands!
adam2046
Also worth noting that there is an iPhone/iPod Touch port in Japan which may also get an English release in the English app stores (although there hasn't been an announcement, it's not hard to imagine them doing so).
Loginer
I'll get to this game as soon as I finish Re:coded on Critical.

Why did they have to release them both on the same day?
awp
It sounds like Disgaea Infinite, but that's a damn interesting trailer. Diggin' the directing on it
Topic Starter
Sinistro
Finished it. Pretty easy for the most part, but very enjoyable. Like I expected, it had funny dialogue, interesting, quirky and memorable characters, and a healthy dose of twists and mind screwing. The climax actually takes care to explain away any plot holes, in the form of "if this is true, then why didn't X happen?"

The last couple of twists are really good, though sadly I was accidentally spoiled on one from the very beginning :(

Each chapter (of which there are a lot) is pretty short and continues right from where the previous one left off (after all, all this takes part in a single night), so it's easy to get that hooked, "one-more-chapter" feeling.

Not gonna put any black spoiler lines up yet since probably noone's finished it.
rust45
This looks good, it's on my Gamefly queue now, but it has low availability.
Firo Prochainezo
Oh wow, this looks good. Can't wait to buy it.
Lesjuh
Now in chapter 7 if I remember correctly. Great game so far, story gets more thrilling as you get further in the game. It's really worth getting if you liked the Phoenix Wright series.
Ivalset
Oh, a redhead.

I should play this.
DawnII
Beat this also. Story was too predictable for me, I figured everything out up until the very last twist, which totally came out of nowhere. Still a good narrative nonetheless.

Gameplay was definitely too easy, none of the puzzles were really hair-tearing quality.
Topic Starter
Sinistro
Except the one where the Minister of Justice tears out his hair when he has a heart attack, hey-o :P

In other news, HEY DAWN :)
Ivalset
Finally finished it. Holy shit this game owned.
DawnII
Like I didn't see the avatar change coming.
Ivalset
I had to.

I literally didn't have a choice.
Wizard Of Orz
Finished it two days ago. The only part that I had trouble with was where the prisoner was supposed to escape during the dark. I had no idea that he was able to climb between the empty space in the ceiling.
heintsi
Finished it today, and heck it was great ride. So awesome characters. I would have prefered to see Sissel's form as human instead of cat though. But on the other hand, it was great way to explain why Sissel didn't know alot about human items, or couldn't read.
Some of the plot twists were predictable but most of them weren't.. especially the one when our top promenanian dog got powers of the dead too(loved when Missile said that he was top promenanian) and of coursethe last twist was a total surprise, like i think it was to most of us.
Puzzles were ok difficulty, i was more interested about story anyway. Two parts i had problems with were escaping from prison and getting the minister take his pills, though.

Also anyone noticed references to Ace Attorney series? for example Jowd weared similar artist outfit as Larry, one detective looked like Phoenix himself(At first i actually thought he'd make short cameo), and that detective coat jowd got later in game looked similar to Gumshoe's.

My favourite chara would definitely be Missile :D Lynne, Cabanela and Sissel(human/ghost form, he wasn't as fun character after he finded out his true identity) would come next.

MAJOR & minor spoilers under black bands. That's what Sinistro wanted, though :D
Topic Starter
Sinistro
Nah, I didn't really have trouble with that part of the game. I was making a pun ;)
heintsi

Sinistro wrote:

Nah, I didn't really have trouble with that part of the game. I was making a pun ;)
ah. fixing it then :D
NoHitter
Just finished the game today, kind of forgot about it some time back.
I had trouble with the Minister's Office too.

So, anyone got a picture of Sissel as the Cat?
Also: Did they keep their memory of the events before the entire 10 year time-shift?
Topic Starter
Sinistro

NoHItter wrote:

Did they keep their memory of the events before the entire 10 year time-shift?
The ones who went back in time to witness the change of history kept their memories. That means Yomiel, Detective Jowd, Missile and Sissel.
Jinxy
It would have been better if all the character descriptions changed for one last time, after the time-shift.
Also, the chapter where you save Cabalena and Pigeon-man, who swapped the bullet with something else other than the soft hat. Say, a hard hat?
Topic Starter
Sinistro

JInxyjem wrote:

Also, the chapter where you save Cabalena and Pigeon-man, who swapped the bullet with something else other than the soft hat. Say, a hard hat?
Yeah, I did that...guess I'm not too good at recognising the shape of bullets.
Jinxy
Yeah, I kept thinking the shape was like a book, or in that case, the hat when it's on the floor.
Only when I decided to do absolutely nothing with the wrong hat hanging then I could see the shape.
NoHitter
Yeah I did so too.

BTW anyone else notice the plot hole when Yomiel was able to control inanimate objects when he said he couldn't?
Jinxy

NoHItter wrote:

Yeah I did so too.

BTW anyone else notice the plot hole when Yomiel was able to control inanimate objects when he said he couldn't?
Powers change over time. If 10YL Missile could do it, he should be able to too. Of course, controlling so much that he can make a fake body out of it seems a little incredulous.

EDIT: The contraption that killed the mother had an "impossible move" that was unable to be re-enacted without adding another item to turn the cupid. Was Yomiel the one who made the cupid turn around? I kinda forgot.

EDIT 2: Listing the "tricks"

SPOILER
Sissiel:
Telephone line travel
4 minutes before death
Manipulation of inanimate objects simply

Missile:
Ability to swap like-shaped objects, and later manipulation of small inanimate objects.
4 minutes before death

Yomiel:
Manipulation of animate objects (Cats, humans)
(?) Manipulation of inanimate objects
NoHitter

JInxyjem wrote:

Powers change over time. If 10YL Missile could do it, he should be able to too. Of course, controlling so much that he can make a fake body out of it seems a little incredulous.
Didn't Yomiel state himself that he could only move living things in the final chapter?

JInxyjem wrote:

EDIT: The contraption that killed the mother had an "impossible move" that was unable to be re-enacted without adding another item to turn the cupid. Was Yomiel the one who made the cupid turn around? I kinda forgot.
Sissel mentioned two theories there actually.
1) Yomiel controlled Kamilia to add the entire gun set-up.
2) Yomiel moved the cupid himself.

That's why I'm kind of confused about Yomiel and his abilities. The game seems to contradict itself.

Edit: Holy crap. Is it me or will this thread beat 999 in terms of spoilers now?
K2J
It's well worth it - this is a game you really don't want to spoil . As for Yomiel, I interpreted it as Yomiel can't go back in time, not that he can't manipulate objects.
DawnII
I thought he could only manipulate inanimate objects at first, and then as his powers grew he could control living people. Don't think it stated that he lost the power to control objects.
rust45

DawnII wrote:

I thought he could only manipulate inanimate objects at first, and then as his powers grew he could control living people. Don't think it stated that he lost the power to control objects.
He could control animate objects to begin with. When he go hit by the tesmik, he went into Sissel's body for a little bit.

Anyway, haven't posted what I thought of the game yet. I thought it was awesome but the puzzles were never too hard since they gave you plenty of hints. The only times I had trouble and I had to refer to some kind of guide were in chapter 2 when you're in the Luxurious Parlor and you have to turn on the projector and then get onto the screen while you could. It was before I got the hang of moving while my tricks were active, so that was why. And the second time was when you had to save the pigeon man and I couldn't actually find out how to find missile, I thought he was in the room and I had to posses something to talk to him. So I had to find out that I just look down to find the leaf. But other than that I didn't really have trouble with puzzles. I thought the final puzzle was kind of epic in how it worked except that Yomiel got hit with a sweet potato going at the speed of a bullet, (I also had this problem with the yarn hat for Cabanela but that was pretty soft so I passed it by) his back was slightly impaled, and he was half crushed under a huge monument. And he's still alive and conscious at that. I dunno, maybe I'm a little picky.
LuigiHann
I'm gonna go back to four minutes before this thread died and save it

Got the game on Amazon for cheap. Finished it last night, great game. Ending section got to be pretty hand-holdy, but that served the narrative so that was cool. I love the character designs and animation.
Drakari_old

LuigiHann wrote:

I'm gonna go back to four minutes before this thread died and save it
That sounds like an excellent idea.
hoihoisoi
Hope they release a sequel.....but I don't think it'll be anytime soon cause the creator is working on Layton x Phoenix Wright currently....
show more