forum

osu! on Windows 2000

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Claire Farron
Well, so I had to struggle with my main rig because of the "not-so-good" PSU I had.
Now it's fixed, fortunately I was able to use my old PC with these specs:

RAM: 512 MB DDR1 (2x256MB) (I have some spare DDR1 DIMMs so I could max it to 1GB but I was too lazy)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.4GHz Single-Core
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440
HDD: 80GB PATA (the sticker says it's Maxtor HDD)
Motherboard: Something random from Mercury with AwardBIOS - that's all I know about it

The biggest problem was .NET framework. Fortunately I found some unofficial versions which work on Win2k so I tried them - osu works without any problems as long as I use the fallback version.
If you have anything to discuss, feel free to ask me.

And now, here's the screenshot you've been waiting for.

The game:
- Stable on 1024x600
- FPS is around 90 ingame with that resolution
- Higher resolution causes crashes on gameplay, unfortunately...

Any questions? Feel free to ask me.
JSE
LOL people still run Windows 2000? Good work! I was wondering of osu! would run on Windows XP, but if it runs on 2000 it should run just fine haha. Now to get tablet to work with it :P
Topic Starter
Claire Farron

jsebean wrote:

LOL people still run Windows 2000? Good work! I was wondering of osu! would run on Windows XP, but if it runs on 2000 it should run just fine haha. Now to get tablet to work with it :P
Unfortunately, I don't have any tablet, so I can't really try that.
I don't run Win2000 daily, it was a really old PC and I needed to install some OS to it and the first thing I found there which was suitable for that machine was Win2k.

Unfortunately this OS is obsolete - I wasn't able to run so many programs.. For example the latest supported version of Firefox on Win2k is Firefox 12.
KanoSet
i didn't know ddr1 was a thing
chaee
a  e  s  t  h  e  t  i  c
Foxtrot
this is interesting, thanks for sharing

RAM: 512 MB DDR1 (2x256MB) (I have some spare DDR1 DIMMs so I could max it to 1GB but I was too lazy)
that brings back memories
Topic Starter
Claire Farron

chaee wrote:

a  e  s  t  h  e  t  i  c
does  it  look  better  now?

Dulcet wrote:

this is interesting, thanks for sharing

that brings back memories
Thanks! c: (nice pun btw.)
JSE

KanoSet wrote:

i didn't know ddr1 was a thing
Was just referred as DDR normally :)
Foxtrot

Claire_Farron wrote:

Thanks! c: (nice pun btw.)
oh shit man i didnt even notice lol, good eye
Topic Starter
Claire Farron
Well, should I do another challenge? Like.. "osu!" on Wnidows ME or 98? lol.
Aurani
Osu on the IBSYS.

:V
Flanster

Claire_Farron wrote:

Can be possible on 98 with KernelEx and MSLU but .NET Framework might be an issue.
I'll try it on my Windows 98 laptop.

Result:
.NET 4 cant be installed with an error of "not enough disk space" on a 20gig HDD
New osu! requires .NET 4 and will not run
Old osu! throws and error and will not run

That is all :P

Nightblade
-
Aurani
"Most people"
I don't know what kind of insane person remained on 2000. You can literally buy a laptop/PC for a 100 bucks that has 7 installed, and 50 bucks for an XP... if you're THAT short on money, lol.
BrokenArrow
Aurani is just full of money. :p
JSE

Nightblade wrote:

Why use 2000? pretty sure most people moved on from it
Well I can understand people having old PCs laying around (I know I do!) so this is just something fun to do. However most PCs that run 2000 will handle XP... still... that takes the fun away :P
Aurani

BrokenArrow wrote:

Aurani is just full of money. :p
Says the German wanker with 18 monitors. :p
Topic Starter
Claire Farron

jsebean wrote:

Nightblade wrote:

Well I can understand people having old PCs laying around (I know I do!) so this is just something fun to do. However most PCs that run 2000 will handle XP... still... that takes the fun away :P
That's true, but I only had W2k lying around. c: I remember when I had XP on this PC, it was fine and I had no problems with it. (the GPU even handles Half-Life 2 on 800x600 @ Medium details with nice framerate)

Aurani wrote:

"Most people"
I don't know what kind of insane person remained on 2000. You can literally buy a laptop/PC for a 100 bucks that has 7 installed, and 50 bucks for an XP... if you're THAT short on money, lol.
I wasn't short on money, I didn't have a replacement yet I wanted to use a desktop PC and I had this one lying around.

Nightblade wrote:

Check the answer above, you'll see why.

Flanster wrote:

Claire_Farron wrote:

Can be possible on 98 with KernelEx and MSLU but .NET Framework might be an issue.
I'll try it on my Windows 98 laptop.

Result:
.NET 4 cant be installed with an error of "not enough disk space" on a 20gig HDD
New osu! requires .NET 4 and will not run
Old osu! throws and error and will not run

That is all :P

I could try smacking it into Virtual Machine so I won't use this old PC but I'll try to do it somehow without using a VM. I'll surely post a topic about that if it will be successful. Maybe KernelEx will do it somehow with these unofficial .NET versions. If not, I'll try the 2007 version of osu! at least.

Aurani wrote:

Osu on the IBSYS.

:V
or osu on Commodore 64 :^)
Underforest
I'm surprised that there's still people that use obsolete OS, that old times :')
Try it on Windows 1.0 joke
Topic Starter
Claire Farron

Underforest wrote:

I'm surprised that there's still people that use obsolete OS, that old times :')
I don't use it on daily basis yet even if it's obsolete, it's still usable.

What about MS-DOS 1.0? :^)
JSE

Claire_Farron wrote:

Underforest wrote:

I don't use it on daily basis yet even if it's obsolete, it's still usable.

What about MS-DOS 1.0? :^)
or ReactOS :P ... they seems to have brought out a new version recently but it's not much useful other than to play with :P
abraker
Do you think it will run on Windows ME?
Topic Starter
Claire Farron

abraker wrote:

Do you think it will run on Windows ME?
As far as I know, ME runs the 9x kernel - if there's any unofficial .NET framework 4 for OS with 9x kernel (95/98/ME), there's a change it will run, I'm going to try it in near future.